c005
308 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter  is available for Patreons

If you enjoy this novel or have a suggestion, please leave a comment or message me to let me know! Thanks!

Join me on Discord

Lucas, ever the gentleman, helps me out of the car, and we make our way up the stairs.

Sam is waiting near the box office, along with Kara, Sierra, Jack, Kimmy (a friend of Jacks that he has a bit of a crush on, not that I blame him since she’s really cute), and a couple of other boys I don’t know.

I smile at Sam as we reach them, and say, “Hi. Sorry, we’re a little late.”

Lucas snorts and says, “All because she couldn’t decide what to wear.”

I grin and lightly punch his arm. “You know that isn’t true. I already knew what I was going to wear.”

He laughs. “Was that supposed to hurt?” Which makes me roll my eyes at him. It isn’t my fault that I’m tiny, and anyway, I wasn’t trying to hurt him. He continues, “Well, you did take over an hour to get ready.”

Kara jumps into the conversation, saying, “She’s a girl, dummy. It takes time for us to look beautiful. So, suck it up.”

I laugh. I gesture at the two boys with them and ask, “So, who are they?”

Sierra says, “They’re our dates.” She gestures to a cute blonde boy. “This is Mark,” then she gestures to the boy with black hair and very bright blue eyes, “and this is Kevin.”

“Pleased to meet you. I’m Beth,” I touch Lucas’s arm, “and this idiot is my brother, Lucas,” which makes him burst out laughing.

Unfortunately, the movie we wanted to see was already sold out. So, after a short discussion, we opted to see the new sci-fi movie about a bunch of kids traveling to a new planet in a generation ship.

I wasn’t too sure about it, but I did get into it. During the movie, Sam tentatively reaches over and gently takes my hand to hold it. He looks at me as if asking, ‘Is this okay?’ I simply smile at him and return my attention to the movie. Even knowing how small I am compared to everyone else, I’m astonished at how small my hand is in his.

If I’m being honest with myself, I’m rather happy that he decided to hold my hand, although, for now, I don’t plan to show him how much. He never let go for the remainder of the movie, and I quite liked the fact that he gently rubbed the back of my hand with his thumb now and again. I even ended up leaning over and resting my head against his shoulder. What can I say? I’m comfortable with him, and he’s extremely sweet.

After the movie ends, we exit the theater, still hand in hand. In the hallway, he asks, “How about we get some ice cream?”

Everyone agrees, and we walk the 2 blocks to Braums. Then we get some cones, mint chip for me, and take a seat. I tried to pay for mine, after all, I get a large allowance from the government every month, but he insisted that he would pay for both of our cones. We chat while we eat them. It’s amazing how fast time flies when you’re enjoying yourself, and unfortunately, it’s time for us to call Mom to come get us.

Back at home, Mom plays 20 questions with me as we prepare dinner. Lucas actually groaned, said, “Give me a break,” got up from the table, and left the kitchen.

Mom merely smiles and quirks an eyebrow at me, and says, “Boys…,” which brings on a fit of giggles.

 ◇ ◆ ◇ ◆ ◇ ◆ ◇

Monday morning rolls around, and my alarm wakes me up at 5:30. It’s the same old routine every school day. I shower, and then Mom does my hair. I don my uniform, eat breakfast, and walk to the bus stop with Lucas. Kara and Sierra are waiting for me as usual when the bus arrives. We’ve somehow become the three musketeers. You see one of us, and you can be sure that the other two are close by.

That was pretty much the routine for the week, until Friday, that is, when the loudspeaker says, “Bethany Keeling, please report to the counselor’s office.”

I’m honestly a bit worried about Jack. Putting everything in my backpack, I pick it up, walk to the teacher’s desk, and she gives me a hall pass. I’m hoping that my presence helps put Jack more at ease. It doesn’t take long for me to arrive at Mrs. Lynn’s office.

Once she tells me to come in, I take a seat, and she tells me, “Remember, you can’t tell Jack anything until he agrees to not tell anyone about this.”

I nod and reply, “I know.”

Jack’s really nervous that he’ll pass the test, which as I was told, he will. She picks up her phone, and says, “Jack Pauly, please report to the counselor’s office.”

“You guys really have this all down to a routine, don’t you? I mean, my teacher already had the pass ready for me.”

“We’ve been doing this for a while. It’s not always a fun job, but I truly care about you guys, and try to do this as gently as possible. Honestly, some counselors are rather… abrupt in how they handle the test. You should see some of these so-called councilors that some schools have.”

“Really? Don’t they care about us?”

“I won’t say that they just don’t care, they merely lay it all out for you, and that’s it. No follow up, nothing.” Jack knocks on the door, and she calls out. “Come in.”

Jack walks in, and when he sees me sitting here, he looks at me with a puzzled expression.

“Hi. You called for me, Mrs. Lynn? Why is Beth here?”

“Before we can say anything, I need you to agree to never tell anyone about the test. If you do tell someone, then you’ll spend the rest of your life in prison.”

“Sure, no problem. I won’t say anything to anyone, Mrs. Lynn.”

“So, what happens tomorrow?”

So Mrs. Lynn and I tell him all about what will happen. In the end, Jack seems a bit stunned.

He finally looks at me and asks, “So, you already knew that I would pass?”

I tilt my head and say, “Not until recently, but that aptitude test we took at the end of last year gives the teachers a darn good idea about who’ll pass.”

Mrs. Lynn tells him, “It’s only about 80% accurate, so we don’t know for sure until you take the test. Well, Jack, do you have any questions?”

“How long does it take?”

“2 to 3 weeks. They put you to sleep while you’re changing. Anything else?” He shakes his head. “Then you can head back to class.”

She writes out a hall pass, and Jack and I stand up to leave.

“Beth, can you stay a minute?”

“Sure.”

I sit back down, and Jack leaves.

“You’ll need to watch out for Jack for the rest of the day. You handled finding out much better than most people do.”

“I don’t know how much I can do. At school, sure, but his parents kinda don’t like me that much since I made the change.”

“Ok, well, do what you can. And, I’d like you to come tomorrow.”

“Why?”

“To help Jack out with his family. When they find out that he passed, it’s going to be rough on them.”

I shrug. “I don’t mind, but I’ll have to ask my parents. His parents might not like that I’m there, though.”

She grins at me. “I’ve already called them and asked. They said that it’s up to you, and it isn’t up to his parents.”

I return her grin. “Like I said, you guys have this down pat.”

I go back to class, and Jack looks at me with a lost expression as I walk to my seat. Later, when the lunch bell rings, Jack comes up to me and asks, “Can we talk?”

I nod. “Sure, let’s get our lunches, and the four of us will find a quiet spot.”

After we get our lunches, we take a corner table and sit down.

“Beth, how did you handle it?”

“I don’t know what to say. I volunteered. It simply made sense for me to do it. I wasn’t happy with myself, and I love being a girl now.” Kara and Sierra chime in, agreeing. “If you decide on making the change, just know that we girls will always be here for you. I know that your parents don’t want me around, but hopefully, that’ll change after tomorrow. Even if they don’t, I’m just a phone call or text away, or we can meet to talk. I wouldn’t worry too much.” I smile reassuringly and place my hand on his. “Either you’ll stay a boy, or you’ll change. If you change, I think you’ll find that it’s not that bad, and in a lot of ways, better. Just try to remain calm and enjoy your night.”

“Oh, are you two boyfriend and girlfriend now?” I turn around, only to see that it’s Jeremy, yet again. “Making plans for tonight? The movies? Perhaps dancing? Or are you just going to give him a blow job?”

I sigh and stare daggers at him. “Jeremy, why don’t you just shut up and go play with yourself off in some corner like you usually do. If you keep this crap up, no girl is ever going to want to be with you, or you never know, you might decide to make the change yourself.”

“Ha! Not happening! I’m not a faggot!”

“Again, don’t talk about things that you know nothing about.”

Lucas and Sam come up behind him, and Sam places his hand on Jeremy’s shoulder. Sam leans forward and loudly whispers, “Jeremy, I really don’t care how much of a prick you want to be, but you’ll leave them alone, if you know what’s good for you. Understand?”

Jeremy swallows hard, nods slightly and makes a hasty escape.

They each take a seat, and we finish our lunch, chat, and us girls giggle over one thing or another until the warning bell rings. As we were walking back to class, we talked about it, and I suggested that when he gets home, he should have his parents call and talk to mine. The rest of the day went about the same until the final bell rang.

I look at Jack as he puts everything in his backpack. The next time I see him in class, he will likely be a girl, unless some miracle occurs. I know it’s going to be a rough ride until a lot more boys accept the change. Sam and Lucas are waiting by the classroom door as we walk out, then Sam takes my hand, and I smile at him. On the ride home, Jack was quiet. Sam started saying something to Jack, but Lucas told him, “Don’t”

We got off the bus, and I hug Jack and tell him, “Remember, I’m just a phone call or text away if you want to talk. Oh, and don’t forget to have your parents call mine.”

I got home and went into my room, dropped my backpack and flopped face first onto my bed. I couldn’t believe that I’d made it a whole week! Things have settled down for the most part, and except for Jeremy, the teasing and bullying had pretty much stopped.

Then I hear my phone buzz on the table. I pick it up, and it’s a text from Jack. “I’m really nervous.”

“Why?”

“Because I don’t know what my parents will say if I pass the test.”

“I think you’ll be surprised at what they’ll say.”

“That’s not really helping.”

“My dad can be persuasive, so that should help.”

“Okay.”

And that was that. I feel even worse for Jack now.

About a half-hour later, I got a call from Jack. “Do you want to go for a walk?”

“Of course!”

“Then, I’ll be over in a minute.”

I end the call, make my way downstairs to find my mom, and tell her, “Jack is on his way over, and I’m going to take a walk with him so that we can talk.”

“That’s fine. Just be home before dinner.”

Jack was there in a minute, and he suggested that we walk in the park. When we got there, he started asking questions.

“The odds are really stacked against me, aren’t they?”

I nod. “Yes, that test is really accurate. From what I’ve been told, only a handful of boys that pass the aptitude test don’t pass the final test.”

“Is that in the country?”

“No, that’s in the world. Out of millions, only a few don’t pass.” Jack looks really upset and depressed. So, I do what girls do, and hug him as I rub his back. “Don’t worry, they are really nice about it. The choice really is yours and your parents’. I imagine it’ll be harder for your dad.”

We talked some more and decided to walk home. When we got there, my dad had already talked with Jack’s dad, and they came to an agreement that he’ll support Jack no matter what the test shows and no matter whatever he decides to do. Both Jack and I are very happy about that.

I wake up the next morning slightly earlier than I normally do since Mrs. Lynn is picking me up at the house at 6:30. I pick up my phone and had 10 texts already from Jack, the gist of which sums up to: he hopes that I’m still going to be at the hospital. I quickly text: “I just got up, but yes, I’ll be there.”

I didn’t even make it to my dresser before he texts, “Okay, I’m just nervous, I almost wish it was over. I can’t take the suspense.”

I reply, “Try to relax and not worry.”

I took a quick shower, which is still a half-hour long, and went back to my room to decide what to wear. I could be comfortable with a pair of jeans and a shirt, or maybe a skirt, or dress to show Jack and his parents how comfortable I am with being a girl. I decided on a nice pink button up blouse, a black pleated miniskirt, white ankle socks and my sports shoes. Once I’m dressed, I put my hair up in a ponytail, then apply my makeup, which I was extra careful with to get it just right. Standing up, I double check myself in the mirror and smile at my reflection. I look really cute.

I barely finish having some cereal before Mrs. Lynn arrives. I tell her good morning, and we hop into her car, chatting all the way to the hospital. His parents are there in the waiting room, and I take a seat next to them.

Jack’s dad says, “Morning. I’m sorry that I told you to stay away from Jack before. It’s just that seeing you reminded me that Jack would have to take the test soon, and I was afraid of losing my boy.”

I smile brightly and tell them. “Good morning. Look, I get it. My parents were hesitant to allow me to change, too. They ultimately decided that it was what I wanted that matters.”

He nods. “Jack’s already upstairs, but could we talk to you while he gets ready?”

“Of course.”

“Was being a boy really so bad that you’d rather change genders?”

I shrug. “I can’t speak for anyone except myself, but I wasn’t happy as I was. Truthfully, before Mrs. Lynn talked to me, I had the idea that I’d never volunteer for it, but when I actually took the time to give it some real thought, it made sense for me to do it.”

“Do you think Jack will volunteer?”

I tilt my head and make a so-so gesture. “Knowing Jack as well as I do, probably 65/35 for him volunteering. A lot of that depends on you. Your opinion means a lot to him. He actually believes that you won’t love him anymore if he does say yes to it. Regardless, if everyone decided to stay male, humanity would end with our generation. I’m willing to bet that if that happened, the government would make the choice for us. I’m sure people would rather have volunteers than see that happen.”

He nods, then his mother asks, “Will it hurt? Will he be confused?”

“No, they take care of us really well. The rest of the family has a tougher time making the adjustment than we do.”

“Thank you, Beth. You’re a really good friend. I appreciate you being here for him.”

“Of course. He’s my best friend, and I’d do anything for him.”

“Well, if he passes, and volunteers, I do hope that you’ll remain friends.”

I don’t say anything because I’m about 95% sure that he’ll volunteer, but it’s best to let him tell them about that, rather than me.

Jack walks in, and says, “Hi, Beth. Someone was a pokey puppy this morning.”

I giggle and say, “Woof!”

They laugh, and that seems to break some of the tension.

His dad asks, “How do you think you did?”

Jack replies, “I’m 99.9% sure I passed.”

His mom then asks, “If you did pass, do you know what you want to do?” He hesitantly nods. Then, she leans forward and places her hand on his thigh. “Just know that we love you, and no matter what you decide, we’ll support you.”

His dad nods in agreement. “Son, daughter, it doesn’t matter, as long as you’re happy.”

I see a tear roll down Jack’s cheek. “Thank you. That means more to me than you know.” He looks at me and asks, “Does it hurt?”

I shake my head. “Other than when they put the needles in, you don’t feel anything. Actually, most of it happens while you’re asleep, so you can’t feel anything.”

“How about we go to the cafeteria to get a snack. Just sitting here and waiting is killing me.”

“Sure, that sounds great.”

Jack’s dad hands him some money, and we head over to the cafeteria.

Along the way, he says, “I’m sorry about my sister last night. I know she can be annoying.”

Yes, his parents actually allowed me to come over.

I shrug. “No apology necessary. I actually enjoyed talking to her.”

Although, I used to feel the same way as Jack. She was annoying, and a bit of a busybody, but yesterday was different. I got along with her, so it seems to me that we could end up being friends.

“Really? Basically gossiping and talking about clothes, and makeup? That doesn’t sound enjoyable to me.”

“Well, for a girl, it’s fun.”

“If you say so,” then he shrugs again. “When I’m a girl, do you think I’ll enjoy that stuff you two were talking about?”

“Why are you jumping the gun? You don’t know if you passed, yet.”

“Okay, look at me. The only boy who was smaller than me was you, I weigh next to nothing, I’m not good at sports. Do you really think I didn’t?”

“We’ll see how things turn out. How do you think you did in the leadership portion?”

“Ha! You already know that I’m more of a follower than a leader.”

We arrive at a frozen yogurt machine, chocolate for me, of course, and then amble over to the register. Jack stops me when I begin to reach into my purse to pay for mine.

“I got this. Today may be the only time I get to take a pretty girl out and treat her to something. So don’t ruin it for me.”

I giggle and then smile broadly. “Oh, so you think I’m pretty?”

“Uh, well, you know, umm…”

I giggle again at his awkwardness. “I’m just teasing you.”

I hear a voice from behind us. “What’s this? You on a date or something with your honey? Maybe your last date, as I hear that you have your test today.”

Turning around, I see that it’s Randy and another boy named Keith, though I’ve always thought that uber prick fit him better, and Keith isn’t any better. Randy’s someone who I’m very sure won’t pass the test. He’s one of those guys that they call an alpha male. He loves to bully people, and is as crude as they come. If you can’t tell, I don’t like him.

“Hey, aren’t you that new girl, Beth?” He snorts. “You used to be that pussy James. I remember you. Whatever, I will say that you turned out to be pretty cute, too. What are you doing Friday night? Maybe Keith and I can take you two out on a double date.” He smirks, and then they walk away laughing and high fiving each other.

Jack just looked down, and didn’t say anything for a bit. He finally said, “I don’t know how you take this because I’m having a harder time with it than you are, and I’m not even a girl, yet.”

I shrug. “Maybe it’s because l don’t have a male ego to nurture anymore.”

“Maybe. Let’s head back. I’m sure the doc is already there to tell me that I’d be a better girl than a boy.”

“Jack, how many times do I have to tell you that it isn’t that kind of test.”

He merely shrugs, and we walk back to the waiting room while eating our yogurt.

Once we sit down again, he asks, “Do you think I’ll end up being as girly as you?”

“Maybe, but only if you change.”

He says, “That’ll be me then.”

“Jack, you shouldn’t think of this that way. You have to think positive, so stop being so negative.”

He merely nods. A few minutes later, a doctor walks up to us. He looks at Mrs. Lynn, and asks, “Is it alright if I talk in front of her?”

Of course, she tells them that it’s alright.

He nods and looks at Jack and his parents. “Jack passed the test with some of the best scores I’ve ever seen. We’re actually astounded at his scores. Do you need some time to decide what you’re going to do?” Jack nods. “That’s fine. If you decide you want to proceed, then have a nurse page me.”

Jack’s father stands up, shakes the doctor’s hand, and says, “Thank you.”

The doctor nods, and walks off. His dad looks at him and says just one word. “Well?”

Jack looks at me. “What do you think I should do?”

“I can’t tell you what to do. Just know that I’m here for you, whatever you decide. You’re my best friend, and nothing is going to change that.”

Jack sighs, looks down for a few minutes deep in thought, and then, finally, he raises his head to announce, “I’ve decided to make the change.”

As always: A huge thank you to all my Patreons!

12