Chapter 8: It happened, and it will happen again.
63 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Note: These next chapters will take place from Robbie's PoV. it will also be starting from chapter 1. This means that while it will cover some of the same events, those events will have a wildly different take on them when coming from Robbie compared to Kendall.

We hope you enjoy this chapter.


 

Sunlight beamed into my eyes as they cracked open. Clutching them shut, I rolled away from the light and laid there.

 

Just a couple more days until the weekend. I don’t need to deal with her for long. 

 

Trying to talk myself into being happy only reminded me I still had two whole days to go.

 

+++

Another two days of being Kendall’s bitch.

+++

 

Another scene played out as my hand clenched my pillow. 

 

---

Breaking her fucking legs and and knocking her down a flight of stairs.

---

 

I tightened my grip.

 

---

When she’d scream for help, nobody would come because nobody cared about her. I’d make her say every last word she made me say until I told her to stop, and if she stopped before I told her to, then I’d break her arms next.

---

 

I pulled on my pillow as my body tensed up.

 

+++

As if I actually have the spine to do that.

I’m going to let her do whatever she wants.

+++

 

With half closed eyes, I pulled myself out of bed with a sigh of defeat to take care of my plants that covered my room.

Most of them were packed in my closet that Dad and I turned into a dedicated growing room.

Every morning started with watering all my different kinds of flowers. From iris’s, bellflowers, dandelions, which are not weeds, and all the way to my favorite. The Bird of Paradise. Just the name made it sound like it’s from another world. That and it took years to bloom. Three to four if it’s kept in good conditions. That’s why my dad got me an incubator for it that gives better control over the temperature and humidity. Thanks to that, she’s coming along well so far after three years, so with any luck it could be in bloom for the flower show this year. If it does, then I’d be able to sit next to Dad and show everyone what I’d be proud of for once.

My phone rang in the middle of watering, and I answered it the second I saw it was my best friend.

“Hey Sophie,” I said as I measured out the water that each plant needed. “Why are you calling so early?”

“Hey yourself. Do you think you could come over to my place after school? I need someone to practice with for band and it’s boring playing alone.”

“Sure. I’d just need to check on my plants after school, then I’ll head over.”

“Sweet! Thank you. With your help, I’m going to be the best in the band even if it kills us.”

“Us?”

“Yeah, we’re in this together. Just think about all the fame and money we could get. ‘Sophie June and Robbie Reynolds, live at Westmound High!’ We’d be dead, but artists always get more popular after they die.”

“Sophie.”

“We could haunt the school as a super spooky ghost band.”

A smile popped up as Sophie went on.

“The Ghost Flute Duo we’d be called. G.F.D.? Maybe Specter Flute Friends? S.F.F. Oh! Super Ultra Best Flute Ghost Friends. S.U.B.F.G.F. Come on Robbie, let’s form S.U.B.F.G.F.”

“I’ll help you out,” I said as I held back a laugh, “but I need to go eat now. I’ll talk to you at school.”

“Sweet! Thanks so much. I’ll cya at school then. Love ya.’

“Love you too.”

Once the plants were taken care of, I headed downstairs to my mom and little sister already setting up the kitchen table.

“Morning Son,” Dad said while taking care of the plants all crammed into the living room. It was pretty cool to have this many flowers everywhere in the house. I was kind of surprised we even have room for anything besides plants, but it’s one of the perks of living with a botanist.

“Morning,” I said, sitting down at the table.

“Did you sleep well?” Mom asked as she put out breakfast.

“Yeah,” I said. For once my face wasn’t beaten up, so there was the chance to have a pretty alright morning with my family.

Mom and Emily, my little sister, sat down at the table while Dad finished up with the plants.

“Do you want to play after school?” Emily asked.

“I made plans to go hang out with Sophie. We can play later, alright?”

“Aww. Can I join you guys?” She asked with her puppy dog eyes.

“Maybe when you’re older.”

“I’m older now,” she shot back.

“You’re seven.”

“I was six last week!”

“Double that and maybe you can join us.”

‘That’s…” she said, getting lost in her thoughts. “I don’t know.”

“When you’re twenty-four,” I said, trying to hide my smile.

Dad sat down at the table, “Don’t mess with your sister like that. And Emily, you can play with Robbie another time. Let him have his time with his friend.”

Emily didn’t seem too happy, but she didn’t complain and went back to eating her food as Dad went on.

“Anyway, the convention’s next month. Do you think you’d want to show anything this year?”

“I want to bring my Bird of Paradise,” I said as I began to eat, “but that’s only if I can get it to bloom.”

He paused for a moment to look at me, and then continued right back up with a much bigger smile. “I’ll be sure to make room for you on the table. I know a lot of people that come to these shows, so maybe we can set something up for you if you want. They’d be impressed by a kid your age trying to make one bloom.”

“What, like a job?”

“No, I don’t want you working yet. But the people there remember growers that know their stuff and have a passion for it. And-” he motioned around the flower filled house. “I think you more than meet the standard,” he said, smiling.

As much as I looked forward to the show, “Maybe, but it seems like a lot to happen all at once…”

“That’s fine. There’s no rush, and you’re already a hell of a lot farther than I was at your age. I’m sure you’ll do just fine when you’re ready.”

Hearing that brought my smile back and reminded me.

“Hey Dad, can I bring Sophie with us this year?”

“Of course you can,” He said, whipping his mouth with a napkin. “I’m always happy to bring along friends, but does she know you’re going to be at the booth a good amount of the time?”

“I’ll let her know, but she’ll probably enjoy it.”

 “Alright, well as long as she’s fine with it.”

“Yeah, she’s a big people person. And she can look around on her own if she wants.”

“Good,” Dad said. “I’ll also make sure that you two get some time together without your old man getting in the way.”

“Thanks,” I said while I finished eating. “I need to get going now.” 

“Alright, have a good day,” Mom said as she got up and hugged me.

“I’ll try,” I said, hugging her back. Before I got halfway to the door, Emily ran up and wrapped herself around my leg.

“Love you!”

“I love you too,” I said as I gave one last hug, pushed opened the door, waved goodbye and walked out 

 

Hopefully Kendall isn’t there today so I can have a normal day for once.

 

Each step towards school made me want to take two back as the thought to skip school grew stronger every day.

 

---

It doesn't matter how bad it gets.

I don't have what it takes to skip school.

---

 

Once I made it there, I looked all around and didn’t see any sign of Kendall, so I hurried my way in and went straight to first period. Things were off to an alright start since I didn't have class with her until gym during third period. When gym started though,  I barely made it to the lockers before Kendall cut me off. 

“Why are you even still coming to school? Everyone knows you’re going to flunk out.” She said, looking down at me.

“Shut up.” I walked around her with my head down and shoulders slumped, but she grabbed my arm and pulled me back.

“You don’t tell me to shut up.” her grip tightened.

 

+++

How long will it take until I give in this time?

+++

 

I stood there, staring at the floor as she held on. “Say you're sorry and I’ll let you go.”

Without even thinking about it, “I’m sorry.”

 

+++

Not even a minute.

That's just sad.

+++

 

She let go of my arm and slapped my back, making me stumble forward. “Good. I’ll see you on the track,” she said as she walked off to sit down without changing into her gym clothes.

 

+++

I’m the one that lets her do this.

I’m too scared to make her stop.

+++

 

I sped up to get into the boys changing room. 

Once changed, I headed back out and went to sit in my spot. At least I was lucky enough to sit next to Sophie. That alone helped me pretend that never happened. 

 

+++

Pretending it didn’t happen won't do anything to help.

It happened, and it will happen again.

+++

 

I rubbed my eyes as we did our class stretches and went outside to the track for the practice mile run.

Everyone lined up at the starting points with me getting as far from Kendall as I could. I broke out into a jog when the signal was given.

Sophie took the lead. This wasn’t a problem for her, since she was really in shape.

I wasn’t unhealthy, but I didn’t workout or anything either.

Meanwhile, Kendall, who should have been able to pass me, ran up to me and slowed down.

“Thirty minutes of getting to laugh at you. This class is going to be amazing.”

“Just run ahead of me already. I already know you’re faster.”

She stayed right by my side as we jogged along the course, “No shit I’m faster than you,” she said. “I prove that every time I chase you down.”

“Then leave me alone already. Aren’t you bored of going after me all the time?”

“Why would I go after someone else? You’re the biggest fuck up in school, so you’re as good as it gets.”

I picked up my speed, but she kept right with me. “Even now you’re screwing up.” Her smile was so god damn annoying I could feel it. “You’re going to tire yourself out if you’re not in good shape.”

“I’m not going to deal with your bullshit the entire time.” I broke out into a sprint and actually got away from her.

Ten seconds in and I’m still going strong.

Twenty seconds, and I get winded. 

Thirty seconds later I slow down to a jog. Only this time I’m slower than before.

What’s worse is Kendall moved up next to me again. “You’re really stupid. You think spending all your energy to run not even a quarter of what we need to is a good idea? Now I get to mock you even more.”

 

Fuck this.

 

My jog slowed to a walk, until I stopped dead and stood there. Kendall looked back at me and marched up. “Did I say you could stop?” She grabbed my arm to pull me forward. “Start running or I’m going to follow you home again.” Her face twisted with anger the longer I stood there.

I pulled my arm from her and walked over to the bleachers, but she followed me, “You’re going to get back on that track right now or you’re going home with black eyes and a busted lip.”

“So what? You’re going to just find something else to get pissed about and beat me up anyway.” 

One of the gym teachers walked over, “Is something the matter?”

“I-”

“He twisted his foot and had to sit down,” Kendall said, cutting me off and grabbing my foot. “Does it feel better now?” she asked, shooting me a look as she moved my foot in circles.

I couldn’t fake pain worth a damn.

“Yeah, it’s better…”

The teacher, relieved to hear that, said, “Good. Do you think you can get back out there?”

“I’m sure he can,” Kendall said with a smile that made my stomach turn. “Robbie’s tougher than that. Isn’t that right?” She asked, grabbing my arm and pulling me up. 

Since I wasn’t in pain when standing up, I guess that meant to the teacher that everything was fine.

“Alright. Get back out there you two.”

He walked off, and as soon as he was far enough away, Kendall grabbed my arm and may as well have crushed it.

“I’m going to walk you home after that stunt. Don’t you ever fucking try and get out of this. Now start jogging, or I’m going to come up with something worse than beating your face in.” The friendly tone she had with the teacher was replaced entirely with pure hate.

That look in her eye wasn’t normal for her, either. She was about as pissed as I ever saw her. Not like it mattered. She was just going to do the same thing no matter how she’s feeling.

Realizing I couldn’t do anything. I walked over to the track and started to jog.

 

+++

Kendall’s bitch.

+++

 

Of course, she was right there again.

“I can’t tell if you’re stupid, or you actually like me kicking your ass. Are you into that messed up stuff?”

 

---

Jumping on her, I bash her fucking skull against the pavement.

---

 

“You’re disgusting. I should tell the entire school how you like to get beat up. Nobody will want to be near a freak like you.”

 

---

I grab her neck with both hands and squeeze as hard as I can while she lays there.

---

 

“Maybe your little girlfriend can help me kick your ass next time. I bet you’d like that, you fucking perv.”

 

---

She struggles and gasps for air, but I don’t let go until she stops moving.

---

 

Sophie ran up and pushed her way between us. “The only reason you pick on Robbie is because you’re too much of a coward to go after anyone else.”

“So you want a turn?" Kendall asked, "Sure, but only after I’m done with Robbie.”

“How about now. I bet I’m a hell of a lot faster than you and can beat you in a race any time.”

“Seriously? I already know what you’re trying to do. It’s not going to work.”

“So you’re saying you’re afraid of racing me?”

“You think I’m afraid of you? You’re probably just good as the fuck up running with us.”

“Then prove it, or admit you’re afraid of losing to me,” Sophie said before pulling ahead. 

As if none of that happened, “I guess she’s just as stupid as you.”

At least it was a good try from Sophie...

Kendall still matched my speed and moved right next to me. “Don’t think anyone’s going to help you. Even what’s her name only hangs out with you because she feels sorry for you. She doesn’t actually love you,” she said with a deadpan face.

I bit into my lip as she side-eyed me.

“That goes for all your stupid friends too. You’re all alone and not a single person loves you.”

I broke out into another sprint, but this time I wasn’t going to stop or slow down. No matter what. She laughed as I pulled ahead.

Ten seconds was nothing.

Twenty seconds in, I was winded again, but I pushed through it.

Forty seconds in and a burning in my lungs flared up. 

After a minute of sprinting as fast as my legs could take me, I passed Sophie and was halfway around the track from Kendall. The look on Sophie’s face would’ve made me proud if not for the fact every inch of me was screaming out.

“Don’t push yourself too much!” Sophie called out as I kept going. I finally slowed down and my eyes immediately went to Kendall, who was looking right back at me, and soon broke out into a sprint herself.

I did my best to run, but my legs were too done. Sophie slowed down next to me, “Kick her ass already and stop running from her.” By the time I looked at her she had already ran off.

When I looked back at Kendall, she was nowhere in sight.

“That was better than last time,” she said as she snuck up on me. “At least it’s going to take even longer for you to finish, so thanks for that.”

This entire thing was too exhausting, and I was too tired on every level to even be angry anymore.

I mindlessly jogged the rest of the way as she kept hurling insults at me every single moment of class. Right up until the bell rang. I rushed up to Sophie as the class went back inside. The entire way inside I felt Kendall's glare on my back. 

“You didn’t do anything to stop her. Again,” Sophie said.

“Can you stop fucking reminding me for once?”

"And just pretend everything's alright? No. I care about you too much for that."

I pushed open the door and drowned Sophie out. At least if I ignored her long enough she'd eventually drop it.

 

+++

She drops it because she gives up on me. 

+++

 

I made my way inside to change back into my clothes and hoped that by lunch next period things could just be normal again.

0