Robbie: Chapter 34: Our number one thing to do.
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I walked out of the visiting room, barely managing to hold it together and headed straight to my room where Zach was sitting on his bed, writing.

"Hey. Have a nice visit?" He asked. I completely ignored him and sat down on my bed with Pern as he started dripping lava from his mouth. We both stared at the wall, and moments later, all that anger overwhelmed me and I broke down into tears. Zach tossed his notebook aside and sat next to me where Pern was sitting, which made him flail around for a moment before sitting down on my other side. "What's going on?"

"It's about you know who and that's all I'm saying. I don't want to cause any more problems for anyone here."

"If she's reaching you even in here. It must be pretty bad..."

I rubbed my face. "I'm not going to say anything else. Again I don't want to cause you trouble."

"That only happened because it came up out of nowhere last time. If I know it's coming, then I can deal with it better. I kinda figured it had something to do with her."

We sat there in silence for a bit before he started talking again.

"Do you think Trish will be enough to get her to stop?"

"I don't know. I mean she looked kind of like she could pick a fight and win…"

More silence as he rubbed his hands in his lap.

"Do you think she'll seriously hurt Trish if she gets into a fight?"

"I only had to hit her once for her to pick me up and throw my head against the ground…"

He went from looking down at his hands to looking over at me with a much more intense stare.

"Is she seriously that bad? I know you brought that up before, but I thought it was thing big thing. You only had to hit her once?"

"Yeah, that's why I've been trying to do everything I can think of to get her to stop."

He started tapping his fingers on his knees. "And you think she'll do the same thing to Trish if she tried to get her to stop bothering you?"

"...I don't know. I guess I should've thought of that before Trish left."

Rubbing his face, "Then why don't you get the police involved?" 

"Because she'll probably make them think I was the one causing problems. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened. They can't be there all the time to stop her, so what's even the point?"

He got up from next to me and went back to laying down on his own bed.

"I know I said I didn't want anything to do with her before, but Trish isn't going to back out if she knows someone's being bullied. And I don't want Trish getting hurt because of Kendall. I want to just stay away, but I can't if she's going to cause that many problems. I'm not going into detail, but I think a part of this is my fault to start with. So I want to try and make things better for you." 

Pern glared at him.

 

What does he mean it's his fault? Is he the reason Kendall's been going after us!? Make him tell us!

 

He just said he's not going into it, so don't even bother pushing to ask.

 

"Are you sure? I don't want whatever happened last night to happen again. She'll probably use that against you if you let her."

He sat up and looked at me, "Seriously?" Only to fall back down on his bed a few moments later. "I can't even imagine her doing something like that, but if she did then holy shit…"

"I haven't actually seen her do it, but she'll use everything she can to hurt you."

He ran his hands up and down his face. "I'm going to call it a night if you're okay with that."

"Yeah, I wanna get some sleep too."

He stretched out on his bed and faced towards the wall, and I did the same as my eyes slowly closed.

 

If he's why Kendall started going after us, then how the fuck do we know he won't join her the moment they're together?

 

Because whatever happened last night was because we were talking about her. They're clearly not friends. So shut up about that and let's get some sleep.

 

Pern climbed into bed with me and wrapped his vines around the entire bed as we drifted off.

 

###

 

…Kendall standing over me, kicking me when I'm down...

…"You can't do anything right, can you?"...

…She lifts up her foot and slams it down on my head.

 

My eyes shot open as my body jerked. It was still pitch black. Looking around, Zach was still sound asleep as vines wrapped around me.

 

It was only a bad dream, don't let it stop us from getting sleep.

 

I rubbed my eyes and let out a yawn.

 

Seeing everyone again today when I get out of here.

 

Yeah, I know.

 

I rolled around and closed my eyes again.

 

Kissing Sophie when I get out of here.

 

A big smile popped up on me out of nowhere.

 

Spending time with my sister.

 

Playing games with Holly.

 

That surprise Dad told me about.

 

Pern let out a loud, drawn out sigh.

 

We're not going to get any more sleep tonight, are we?

 

Building up my plant collection again.

 

Spending more time with Vanessa, Mark and Ben.

 

So that's a no.

 

Pern was right, I was up the rest of the night thinking about everything that was going to happen when I got out of here, and I was going to make sure that each of them happened.

It soon became light out, so I decided to get up and walk out to the main room. Where I find Susie sitting alone.

 

Should I go and sit with her?

 

It might be good to ask her if it's okay to sit with her first. And we need to think about what we say to her.

 

Alright.

 

I walked over to the couch and leaned down on the edge of it. "Hey Susie, is it okay if I sit here?"

She almost jumped in her seat. As she turned her head to look at me, she mumbled, "Yeah…" 

I sat down next to her as she looked down at the floor.

 

I guess I should ask her how she's feeling?

 

Pern hovered over the both of us from the back of the couch.

 

That should be fine to ask unless it reminds her of what happened. We don't really know how else to start talking to her without being awkward about it.

 

"How're you doing?"

Her eyes still looked down. "Better I guess…"

"That's good."

 

It should be safe to say we missed her. Maybe it'll make her feel better? Or she'll just become depressed that she made us miss her…

 

So should I say I missed her then?

 

It's the safest thing we can think of, so yeah.

 

"I missed you."

Her eyes flicked over at me for a minute. "Um…Thanks?"

Pern rubbed the top of his bulb in an attempt to mimic rubbing his forehead.

 

Of course we're going to be awkward, but come on! Do we have to say it in the most awkward way possible?

 

Well I'm trying to not say anything to upset her. I thought the less I said the better.

 

Then we may as well not say anything at all if it's just going to be that awkward. Say sorry and explain we're trying to get better at talking to people here.

 

"Sorry. I'm trying to figure out how to talk to people without upsetting them, but I'm still not really good at it."

"Oh," she said, looking forward now instead of at the floor. "That's fine then."

I took this chance to look at her, and the first thing I noticed was the big bandages on her arms, but Pern slapped my head a moment after.

 

Don't look. Even we should know that.

 

I took my eyes off her and went back to staring forward, but I guess she caught me.

"...I had a bad night," she said.

 

Should I say if she wants to talk about it she can? That seems like a safe thing to ask.

 

Good! We didn't even need to talk it through, yeah. That seems good.

 

"If you wanna talk about it then you can."

"...Is it okay if I ask something personal about you instead?"

"If you want," I said, "Yeah."

"Do you have a good family?"

"I do, and I'm happy to have them."

"That's good…"

 

So what the hell do I say now?

 

Maybe ask her about her family? She did just bring up the subject.

 

"So…What about yours?"

"…"

"It's fine. You don't need to say if you don't want to."

"I want to," she said, sitting up straight, "I don't want to try to keep it to myself anymore, and you seem like a really nice person. So I'm going to say it…"

…Silence.

 

What's going on?

 

Maybe she's building up to it? We should just sit here until she's ready to tell us.

 

I listened to Pern and sat there as she rubbed her hands together in her lap. Eventually looking me in the eyes. There was something about them that was off. I didn't know how else to describe it. "Did you ever get stuck somewhere for a long time?"

 

Being held down by Kendall for long periods of time.

 

"Kinda, but I don't think mine is really different than what you're asking about."

Her eyes looked more away from my own as she mumbled to herself. Quietly enough where I only got parts of it, "I get…basement…"

We sat there in silence as I only got a little of what she said.

 

Should I tell her I didn't hear her?

 

She's telling us because she wants us to know, so yeah.

 

With a deep breath and a hope that this doesn't upset her, "...Sorry, I couldn't-"

"My parents lock me in the basement."

"..."

 

What does she mean? Like they accidentally locked her down there?

 

Per lowered his bulb next to her.

 

She probably would have made that part clear if she meant that.

 

But that…I guess some parents are really strict…?

 

Guess so.

 

Is it alright to ask how long?

 

We've got no idea.

 

 

"...Is it alright if I ask questions?"

"Yeah…" she said without waiting.

"How long did they lock you down there?"

"No. I mean- Sorry. What I mean is...I need to stay down there unless I'm at school…"

I stared at her for an awkwardly long amount of time as I did my best to process that.

"Why do you need to stay in the basement? Do you get sick a lot or something and need to stay inside?

"No. They just think I belong in the basement I guess, so they make me stay down there…"

"…Oh…"

 

…Who would do that to their own kid? That's…

 

It sounds having Kendall as parents. That's fucking disgusting!

 

I leaned back in my seat and looked forward.

 

What do I even say to that?

 

Still no clue. If we tried to say something we'll probably fuck it up and upset her. 

 

Kim walked up to me with a big smile. "Good news, Robbie. Your family's here to pick you up."

 

Ask if we could have a bit more time talking to Susie.

 

"Is it alright if I talk with Susie just a little longer?"

"Sure thing. Just don't keep them waiting too long. I'm sure they miss you," Kim said as she walked back to her counter.

"You don't need to stay just because of me. I know you miss your family. And you really don't need to worry about me. I don't have to go back there. My school found out about it and… some other things that happened. Now I might get to live with someone better."

"I still can't believe someone would do that. I'm sorry…"

Even though this was brought up, she didn't look like she was going to react like Alice or Zach did.

"...Hey Robbie? I know I didn't talk a lot but thanks. It was nice not being the only new person here. Would it be okay if we meet up if I'm close enough to your school?"

"Sure. Hold on," I said as I went up to get my notebook from my room. Zach was just rolling himself awake it looked like as I came back. I sat down and wrote down my phone number. "Here's my number." I tore out the piece of paper and handed it to her."

She grabbed and looked at it. "I don't have a phone. But maybe I can get one at my new place? If I can then I'll call you."

Zach walked up and sat down next to Susie. "Hey Susie. It's really good to see you safe." 

"Thanks…" she said.

 

She seems more comfortable with us. That's a first here!

 

Yeah. It's actually kinda nice. But my family's here, and I've spent enough time away from them.

 

I wrote my number down on another piece of paper and ripped it off to give to Zach. "My parents are here, so I'm going to be going. Text me when you get out please."

"Oh great, thanks," he said as he took it, "I'll keep it safe. And I'll see you soon."

I waved goodbye to the both of them and walked up to Kim with my notebook. "I'm ready."

"Great. Let's get you back to your parents." She said with that same smile that never seemed to disappear in my entire visit.

She got up and led me out through some doors, and out into the waiting room. The moment everyone came into view as the door opened. Dad, Mom, Sophie, Emily, and even Ben! I rushed up and gave a big hug to Mom and Dad. Emily joined in on the hug. Breaking it, I gave Sophie the biggest hug I could. "I missed you so much…"

"Same here. How are you feeling?" She asked.

"So. So much better."

 

Don't forget what our number one thing to do was.

 

I leaned back from the hug and stared into her eyes. 

 

I wasn't going to.

 

Pulling her closer, I kissed her. I really wasn't good at explaining, or doing, stuff like this, but it was everything I wanted and more. At the same time, Pern was laughing.

 

Wow we're awkward at kissing. That one gets maybe a six out of ten. Sophie's a lot better at leading a kiss.

 

I broke the kiss and Sophie was either really happy, or was also holding back a laugh.

"Wasn't expecting that," Sophie said, "But it's so good to see you again! I've been waiting to drag you to my place to have that weekend long party, and we're doing just that." She said as she threw her arm around my shoulder.

"Actually, would it be okay if we hold off on that? I promised Emily I'd play Lego's with her when I got back."

I glanced over at Emily who looked like she wanted to bounce off the walls as she ran up and hugged me again.

Sophie smiled and knelt down. "Hey Emily. Would it be alright if I joined you guys? I love Lego's and I'd really love to spend time with Robbie."

"Of course you can come!"

While they talked, I gave one last hug to Ben. "Hey, I wasn't expecting to see anyone else. But I'm happy you're here. How've you been?"

"It's been good. Today's been, uhh." He looked over at Sophie. "Hey Sophie, you wanna tell him?"

"Come on Ben," Sophie said as she sat up from talking to Emily. "Not right when he gets out."

 

More Kendall stuff?

 

Ben scratched the back of his neck. "Sorry."

"Does it have to do with Kendall?" I asked.

Sophie walked up and put her arm around me as we started to walk down the hall. "I'll tell you, but not until you're settled down. Alright? It's not…I'm pretty possibly it's not bad though. It might even be really good news. But you deserve rest, and that's what I'm gonna give you!" she practically shouted as we all walked down the stairs. "It's gonna be Robbie's D.A.R.A.S."

"...I think I might be out of practice. I have no clue what that stands for."

"It's going to be your Day of Awesome Relaxation And Stuff."

"Oh. Of course," I said as I broke a smile.

 

God we missed this.

 

So much. Now we just need to make sure it stays this good.

 

We will.

 

0