Robbie – Chapter 60: The alternative is more sickening.
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

NOTE:

This is something of set up for the next chapter, which we're looking forward to putting out, but we hope you enjoy this chapter all the same!

No content warning in this other than talk of Kendall and the blood on her sleeve.

Also we're releasing this one 45 minutes earlier to try and get more eyes on the story, since the last time we changed it up we got a couple followers right away.

 

Link to the Discord! https://discord.gg/Gbh2t4UpAt


 

Pern focused his attention on the blood on Kendall's sleeve.

 

Her dad was already fucked, so why can't her sister be?

 

So Kendall being so afraid of her family finding out she's bullying...

 

Emma being abusive would explain that.

 

What makes people do terrible stuff like that?

 

We can't pretend to understand what's going on in her family's head, so questioning it is a waste of time. For now, we should assume Emma's the one that made her bleed like that.

 

God, Kendall's life is messed up…

 

It seems so.

 

Before we got to think it through more, Emma started talking to me. "Like I was saying. I wanted to know how much Kendall's been bullying you. And don't worry about what you say in front of her. I'm going to make sure she doesn't so much as look at you funny from now on."

 

Does her 'making sure' involve something even worse than whatever happened with her arm?

 

If it does, then we need to be careful with what we say. We know we wanted to hurt her real bad before, but things got too complicated today. Now we don't have a clue what we want, but we can see Kendall getting beaten up by her sister. And her family seems far more serious about acting on it than we were. 

 

"Sorry," Robbie's dad cut in, "But I actually want to hear about this pepper spray first. And I'm sure you do as well," he said to Emma.

I leaned back in my seat.

 

So cover up everything for Kendall? That makes me feel sick…

 

Pern surrounded Kendall and myself with his vines as he hovered his bulb over both of us.

 

We know, but the alternative is more sickening. Again. If her dad could do stuff like that, then what's stopping Emma if she gets pissed off enough?

"That's fine by me," Emma said.

 

Not that we even get to cover for her. Kendall's going to talk and we're going to get in trouble, and if we say she didn't do anything and I'm the only one that gets blamed? I don't want something like that to happen, but I still want something to-

 

"He never used any pepper spray."

Everyone went dead silent. Including Pern.

 

What's she doing?

 

"What are you talking about?" Emma asked, "You told me in the car that he sprayed you, and I can see your face. It's still red."

"That's from crying. And I guess I misspoke."

 

Holy fuck. She's covering for us.

 

I sat there, staring at Kendall and not even able to think properly now. 

"Sophie's dad even told me he used it,' Emma said, "Why are you trying to cover it up?"

"Her dad is wrong then, and Sophie's not remembering it right."

 

Is this really happening? This isn't a dream, right?

 

This is real.

 

Then why does this feel like it's only possible in a dream?

 

Because it may as well have been a few minutes ago, but now it's real.

 

"Robbie, did you threaten her?" Dad asked me.

"I didn't do anything," I said, still staring at Kendall.

"Yeah, Robbie didn't lay a finger on me."

 

This is too fucking weird!

 

"Hold on," Emma leaned forward towards me. "You brought my sister to that Alleyway."

"He wanted to show me something," Kendall said, "That's all."

Emma then turned to Kendall. "You and Sophie's dad both told me he did everything to you, and you're just going to pretend this didn't happen?" Emma waved her hand up and down Kendall. "Who did all this to you then?"

"Someone else and I don't want to talk about that anymore, but Robbie didn't do anything wrong."

 

…So this is how it's going to play out. Kendall's going to cover us, and we cover for her.

  

Emma leaned back in her seat. "Do you really want to just let it go like that?"

"Nothing to let go because it never happened," Kendall said with a shrug.

 

But that means Kendall getting away with everything!

 

"Then tell me who beat you up," Emma said.

"I don't remember anymore," Kendall said as she peeked at me every now and then.

Emma rubbed her face. "You're not even trying to lie well. I don't get why you're trying to protect him, but fine." She looked at me, but I was utterly stunned at this point. "You want to tell us what Kendall did to you? I want to hear everything she did."

My eyes never left Kendall as Pern studied her.

 

If we tell Emma, then something seriously dangerous could happen.

 

Dad nudged me as I kept my eye contact with Kendall, "Is everything okay?"

 

Even so. I'm not going to say she didn't do anything.

 

Then what are we going to do?

 

 "I'm tired and I want to go to bed," I said.

 

That's only going to delay it.

 

"Maybe if he wasn't sitting across from Kendall," Dad said to Emma, but motioned towards Kendall, "Then it'll be easier."

"That's not it," I cut in, "I just don't want to talk about it anymore."

 "Well I do," Dad said, "How many times did she send you home running late with a black eye?"

"He said he doesn't want to talk about it," Kendall said as she sat up a little, "I think we should just leave him alone."

"So neither of you are going to tell us what happened?" Emma sighed, and seemed to finally get the hint that I didn't want anything to do with her and Kendall right now, but Dad kept pressing.

"Don't let getting worried about getting in trouble keep you from telling us what Kendall did. You can tell us."

 

If that's not enough, then tell them you want to talk to Kendall alone. Besides, we have things to say to her.

 

I stood up and pushed in my chair. "I want to talk to Kendall alone." I walked down the hall to the bathroom with her close behind. Turning around, I got up close to her to whisper. "So we're just going to pretend nothing happened back there?"

"Is that what you want? Because if it is then we can do that. I mean we were already doing it but I can keep it up."

"I don't know what I want anymore." I crossed my arms as Pern watched her closely. "I hate you and you're still an asshole, but I feel bad about taking things that far. So I'm sorry."

Out of nowhere, she gets this sour face and starts going off. "Don't say sorry just because of what you heard. I fucking hate when people try and be nice and sorry just because they know I went through crap."

Staring her in the eyes and without missing a beat, "I'm not. You going through all that doesn't make everything you did to me go away. Acting nice to you is the last thing I want to do, and I'm only sorry because I went too far."

"Oh…" she said as that sour face disappeared in an instant as she rubbed her neck. "Sorry. Sophie was trying to do that earlier. But why did you not tell them back there then? You could've said whatever you wanted.”

 

Remember our time in the hospital. It might be a bad idea to mention Emma being abusive.

 

Yeah.

 

"Because I'm tired of dealing with you," I said, "I just want to focus on making it up to Sophie and my friends."

"Right, that thing between you and Sophie. I might be able to help with that."

 

Oh god no. Reject her help.

 

"No. Everything you say you tried to help with got worse."

 "It's different this time. She told me why she broke up with you and I can at least clear up a couple of things."

"She told you that?"

 

Don't tell us you're thinking about telling her to help.

 

I know it's risky, but when we talked to her and tried to talk about everything she just shut me down. And if they're buddies now, then maybe she can help.

 

Just because she knows the reasons doesn't mean she wouldn't mess it up somehow.

 

I know, but I want to take whatever chance I can get to fix things.

 

This is a bad idea.

 

Yeah, but it's my idea.

 

"I want to hear how before you do anything," I said.

"Okay, so she was mad over the reason you brought me there, right? Well I started attacking people, so obviously it didn't go as planned. She was also pissed about the spray and you not stopping. I deserved all that and you have an anima."

 

The fact we're confused just from that shows how much of a bad idea letting her try and fix anything is.

 

"...I get how you can help with the first couple," I said as Pern settled down next to me, "but what are you suggesting with me having an anima?"

"Have you told Sophie you have one?"

 

That's something we should do sooner rather than later, actually.

 

Now's not the time.

 

"I never really got a good chance, but she's not going to care if I do or not with that."

"Why not? I haven't told my sister yet, but she might understand if I did some stuff because of her."

"Because that's not how it works. Do you really think it's okay to blame your anima for things you guys do?"

"What? No, I never blame her."

 

We get the feeling that's a complete lie.

 

Probably.

 

"Whatever. Sophie's still going to be upset because I ignored her."

"Can I at least try? Give me your phone and I'll send a message to Sophie."

 

And now she wants to use our phone?

 

"Just use your own phone."

"It's dead, remember? Just let me write a message and you can choose if you want to send it or not."

 

…If she's only just going to write the message, then maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to at least see what she's going to say.

 

…Yeah, we know she's probably serious about helping, but it'd still be good to check it before she sends it.

 

So it sounds good to you?

 

As long as she doesn't write something messed up and sends it before we can say anything, then yes. Watch her as she types it.

 

I took out my phone and began a message to Sophie before I handed it over to Kendall. "That's fine." I stuck next to her so I could keep a good view, and she held the phone out to the side for me.

 

To Sophie:

8:46 PM: It's Kendall. I'm borrowing Robbie's phone because I need to tell you that I deserved what Robbie did. Yes he almost sprayed you but I was beating up his friends. What was he supposed to do? Robbie's had enough shit happen to him because of me, and the last thing he needs is his girlfriend to dump him. Can you at least talk with him about it?

 

And if you're still upset about what I said when I got in the car. I can fucking smell bullshit from a mile away and I HATE people that try to play nice when they find out what happened because it's all fake. Just treat me like how you did before you found out.

 

"Is this okay?" she asked as she looked down at me.

 

Sophie's going to question why she has our phone and why we're together.

 

"At least tell her that your sister drove you over to my house and why you're using my phone."

And she kept on typing.

 

I'm over at Robbie's house because my sister drove me here because she wanted to find out if I was bullying Robbie and my phone's still dead.

 

"Now?"

Pern and I stood on each end of Kendall as we read through it to make sure it was good enough.

 

There doesn't seem to be anything that'd cause trouble.

 

"Yeah, that's fine."

"Alright." She sent the message and gave me back my phone. I read it over again and hoped that'd actually help. Pern nudged my arm and motioned his bulb at Kendall's legs, and they were shaking more than I thought legs could even shake. Even as she leaned against the wall.

 

Not surprised she's still tired, but this is starting to feel like she shouldn't be moving at all.

 

"I'm probably going to need to go soon so I can actually eat something, but…" She pushed off the wall and stood in front of me. "I want you to know that I'm going to make it up to you however I can. I know you probably want to get at least one more hit off on me, so you can hit me in the stomach if you want. Because I can't think of any other way of showing you I'm sorry."

 

Oh fuck yeah! We might feel sorry for her, but we're never going to pass up a chance to hit her if she's actually fine with it.

 

Without even giving it a moment, Pern held up his vines like he was in a boxing match and started punching Kendall in the stomach.

 

Hold on. If she's actually going to let me hit her again, then I don't want to get in trouble for it.

 

I walked past her to look around the corner, and Dad and Emma were still talking to each other.

 

It's safe. Let's make it a good one!

 

You know it's probably not going to do much. Even when I got good hits on her it never really did much. And she's going to be expecting it.

 

That won't stop it from feeling good.

 

Turning around, I led her to the very end of the hallway.

"Whenever you're ready," she said.

Pern merged his vines into my arm, and we readied a punch. When it collided with her stomach, I thought she'd just laugh it off, but before I knew it, she was down on her knees and fell face first onto the floor.

 

Holy shit, did we do that?

"Crap," I whispered so the others wouldn't hear and knelt down. "Did I really hit you that hard?"

"No, I'm just really worn out." She rolled over and looked up at me with a blank face before she called out, "Emmaaaaaa."

 

This might be bad…

 

Yeah. Wasn't expecting her to just fall down like that. We know she's tired and all, but for us to be able to knock her out like that in one punch? She must be more out of it than we expected.

 

Soon, Emma walked around the corner and instantly rushed up to Kendall the moment she saw her laying there. "What happened?"

"Too hungry."

"She just fell down," I cut in, since she did say I could hit her and I wasn't going to get blamed for it.

Emma tried to help her up, but she fell back down right as she made it to her feet.

Dad walked around the corner. "You're that hungry you can't even stand up? Hold on. I'll make you some dinner."

 

Seriously? I mean, I get it, but she's staying for dinner now?

 

Pern's leaves wilted as he looked at Kendall.

 

And that means Emma's staying as well.

 

Dad already disappeared from view as Kendall whispered something to Emma. Next thing I knew, Emma just lifts Kendall straight up.

 

Wow. Yeah, we don't want to piss her off if she can lift someone as tall as Kendall up like that. Kendall's what, 5'10 or something?

 

I don't know, but it's not like Kendall's fat, so maybe she's lighter than she looks?

 

Or Emma's stronger than she looks, and she looks strong enough already.

 

As we talked, Emma carried Kendall to the kitchen.

 

"Sorry, but I don't want you getting blood on their good chairs, so just rest here," Emma said as she set Kendall down back on her chair as I followed behind them.

 

We're not entirely sure if that punch was worth it anymore.

 

I didn't just get to hit Kendall. I knocked her down with one hit. And she let me do it.

 

His leaves perked up the next moment as he patted my back with one of his vines.

 

Very good point!

 

That got a small chuckle out of me, but this was probably going to go just as bad as the rest of the night.

0