CHAPTER 1- A strange child.
272 1 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 1 - A Strange Child

"Don't go near him, he's crazy."

"He's always talking to himself."

"He doesn't have real friends, that's why he makes up friends."

... So many annoying voices... I still remember the voices of the children who mocked me. People who judged me without knowing me. The insults. The humiliation.

To be honest, I didn't really care what people around me thought of me, but it also hurt me because it was a reminder that I will never be a normal person like them.

I've always wanted to be a normal person, but I never succeeded.

"Don't pay attention to them, Saik, you're not crazy, you're just different from others."

"That's right, ignore those insults, words are just words. If you don't let them offend you, they won't hurt you."

The ghosts were my only friends, but I decided to distance myself from everyone. My family considered me strange. The kids considered me strange. Everyone considered me strange, that's why I decided to stay away from everyone and be silent. I would never feel comfortable socializing with the living humans, so I didn't even try.

I got used to having a serious face so that the ghosts wouldn't realize that I could see them, and I even let my hair grow to cover my eyes so they wouldn't see me looking at them and suspect me. The less contact I have with ghosts, the more normal I will be.

Everyone sees me as a boy without emotions, but I also have fun and feel sadness. I got used to not smiling, that's why I never smile and keep a serious expression.

I sacrificed my childhood and mental and physical health just to try to be normal... but I failed. No matter what I tried, I didn't fit into society and always ended up disappointing my parents.

I really tried to be a good student, but I would get stressed and stop studying to play or sleep.

I felt secondhand embarrassment for my classmates, that's why I never tried to make friends... Well, also because I was too lazy to socialize.

I don't want to make friends, they are unnecessary in my life, but... Oh, I don't know... This little girl is so... adorable and innocent... like a younger sister.

... A younger sister... Maybe...

Ah... I decided to never get involved with ghosts, but she is a different case.

"My name is Saik. What's yours, little girl?"

She hesitated for a few seconds, looking at me with strangeness and fear. Well, after all, I'm a human talking to a ghost. Most likely, I'm the first person she's met who can see her, and she's lucky because the people who share my ability use ghosts as mere objects.

... Well, I used to do that too, but I learned to cooperate with them, and as long as they treat me well, I will treat them well.

"M-my name is Yuki... Are you also a ghost? How did you open the door? Please show me how to touch objects!"

"No, I'm alive."

"Are you alive?! Then why can you see me?!"

"Mmm... I never knew. Ever since I can remember, I've always seen ghosts... Well, it was nice to meet you, you can go now."

She lowered her gaze, and I felt sadness in her being.

Yes, I confirmed what I feared so much. A ghost unable to leave. Her soul is too weak and fragile, clinging to staying in this world, and that has damaged her soul. You deserved to rest in peace, but you chose to stay in this world. Why? Whom did you love so much that you preferred to feel so much pain just to stay here?

Being able to endure the pain of feeling your soul deteriorating, to not go to paradise and stay here... This little girl has an incredible willpower, worthy of my respect.

"I... I'm sorry. I can't leave. I've tried many times, but I can't get out."

"Ah, I see, you're the type of ghost that can't leave... I see... I'll go get some holy water. I'll be back in a few minutes."

"Uwaaaah! Are you trying to kill me?! I'm already dead, I don't want to die again! I don't want to, I don't want to!"

Yes, she wants to stay in this world, even though she can't leave this house.

She wants to remain alive because she hopes to someday leave and enjoy life again. I can still sense hope in her; she refuses to give up easily.

I see. Yuki, why do you cling to this world? Whom do you love so much? Your parents? The life you never got to enjoy?

Do you want to travel the world as a ghost? To see your family and friends again?

If that's the case, I greatly admire your perseverance.

Being able to move forward and not give up. I don't sense any negative energy in you, not a bit, which means you haven't let sadness control your life.

Yuki, you may have died as a little girl, but you have more courage than any adult would want.

"I'm sorry, but it's uncomfortable for me to have you here... By the way, I guess you were murdered. I didn't know this house was occupied by a family before. My parents never told me anything about it."

"I lived with my mother in this house five years ago. One day, a man entered the house and killed me. I never knew the reason for his attack. He simply entered the house, stabbed me, and left," she said, pointing to her chest.

She was stabbed in the heart, so the man's goal was to kill her, not just harm her.

"Well... Ah... Did he not violate you or steal anything?"

"No, he just killed me."

I see, I see. Yes, probably your mother got involved with the wrong person, and that person sent an assassin to kill you as revenge. I've seen that sort of thing many times in my life.

An innocent person paying for someone else's sins. How unfair.

"That's strange. There must be some hidden motive... Well, honestly, I don't care. I'll go get the holy water."

"Uwaaaah! You're the worst! Heartless monster! You're supposed to pity me and let me live here!"

Live here... with me?

At that moment, I remembered my ability and my mother's words... The words I overheard her say when she argued with my father about my behavior. "His grades are getting worse, he has no friends, and he's always talking to himself... What did we do wrong?"

... My mother felt guilty about my behavior... I disappointed my mother. Surely my mother wished to have an intelligent and sociable child like herself... My mother was a beautiful and intelligent woman. She helped me study, but I easily got distracted... She wanted to have a perfect child and ended up with a stupid child.

I want to fulfill that dream for my mother.

I want to be a normal person.

I want to be the best student, one who makes my parents proud.

And... I want to be able to feel happiness again.

I don't want to be alone... I don't want to.

"You know, my mother wanted her child to be intelligent... I want to fulfill her dream... I'll graduate as the top student in school... But I need your help."

"My help? How?"

"Listen, I can't become intelligent overnight, so I'll cheat. You'll give me the exam answers, and I'll give you a home. Do we have a deal?"

I don't really need her help, but I want her to feel useful to me and not feel like a burden in my life.

This little girl seems like a younger sister, and I need someone like that in my life to keep me from going crazy.

It's a win/win situation. I'll give her a home, and she'll keep me company in this new life without my parents. The company of an adorable younger sister will make me feel less sad and maybe make me feel like a big brother, someone who is useful and not... a useless person whose life has no meaning anymore.

"But that's bad. That's cheating. Wouldn't your mother be disappointed?"

Yes and no. She would be angry with me if she knew I cheated, but if I truly become intelligent, my previous cheating would be forgiven... I suppose.

"No. Listen. I want to attend the elite school 'Raikon.' I have to be intelligent to get into that school. While attending school, I'll study a lot, I promise, but I have to maintain excellent grades to be the top student. While I become intelligent, you'll help me and give me the answers."

That school is extremely expensive and unique, but it will be worth it to attend. It's the perfect school for someone like me who prefers to avoid unnecessary trouble with annoying classmates.

Their educational system is strange and very strict, but I think I'll survive without any problems.

A perfect school, a little sister, a normal life without ghosts or secret organizations messing with my existence. No evil ghosts trying to control the world. No nuns with disturbing pasts. Much less drug lords with spiritual powers controlling the drug market, interfering in my life.

A problem-free normal life and the company of an adorable ghost girl... Yes, I think I'll be able to enjoy this new life while fulfilling my mother's dream.

"I guess you're right... If you become intelligent, it won't matter that you cheated... But I can't leave here. I'm sorry, I won't be able to help you. B-but I can help you by telling you jokes, so you won't get bored and..."

I gently stroked her head, and she became nervous because she's not used to physical contact with another person.

"D-don't mess up my hair!"

"Done."

"Eh...? Eh?! It's true, why can I feel your hand?"

"Let's just say it's a skill."

I developed this skill while ignoring ghosts.

I would pass through ghosts when I ignored them, but when I wanted to talk to them, the ghosts could touch me, and I could touch them. If I want to, Yuki can touch me, but if I don't want to, she doesn't touch me.

This effect not only works with me but also with other objects, as long as I want her to be able to touch them.

For example, a plate. If I don't want her to, she can't lift it, but if I want her to, she can lift it with her hands.

After explaining that to her, she immediately smiled with joy and took my hand.

How lovely. I definitely made the right decision. Having her by my side will make my life less difficult and, perhaps, I'll be able to enjoy it, at least a little.

"I can finally take a bath! It's been so long since I last bathed! I'll finally stop being stinky Yuki and become clean and beautiful Yuki again!"

"Ghosts can't get dirty, don't worry, you don't stink. Aren't you going to ask how you'll leave here?"

"Ah... Right... How?"

"It's simple. Ghosts that can't leave a certain place are weak ghosts, ghosts whose souls are weak... Or so I was told by a ghost, I don't know if it's true. You became strong because you can touch objects now, so you can leave without any problems."

She looked into my eyes, and her eyes started to well up with tears.

You really missed going out, didn't you?

"And how long does the effect last?"

"As long as I want it to. I'm the only one who can deactivate it."

"... Thank you."

She hugged me tightly and started crying.

"Thank you so much! Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, really, thank you so much!"

"... You're welcome?"

Well... This isn't so bad... Having company will be nice.

A little sister, what I always dreamed of having... I hope her company helps me move forward and keeps me from giving up on my dream.

You are my only hope, Yuki... My only hope to feel like a normal person.

17