CHAPTER 19- The rules of the school. Part 1.
120 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 19- The rules of the school. Part 1.

Today is Friday For many, it's the perfect day to go out with their friends and have fun. What about me? It's just a normal day, like any other. Sylphie thinks I'm her friend, but that doesn't mean I'm going out with her for fun or anything. I will get out of school, study, have dinner, study again, do my evening exercises and go to sleep. I'm not taking a bath to save time. I'm not going out for the weekend, so it doesn't matter. Personal grooming is very important, but it won't affect me if I don't bathe for a day or two.

I'll have more time to exercise and study if I don't bathe.

“Well... We finished the project... We have a week off... We did it in a short time, so we have a lot of free time... So... Y-you w-want to do something?"

"Yes."

"Really?!"

"Yes. I want to eat a candy."

I pulled two lollipops out of my pocket and offered one to Sylphie.

"Do you want one?"

"Y-yes, thank you."

She took the lollipop and we walked into our classroom.

"You seriously really like candy."

"It's my favorite flavor."

Yes... My favorite.

(Pov- Ninda.)

T-this is not happening... T-this can't be happening... N-no... No, no, no, no... Why...? Why did this happen?!

In one day, my family lost everything! My father was arrested, my mother escaped without me and I no longer have a home!

Why did this happen?! Why did I lose everything in one day?! This can't be happening!

"Damn it!"

Now I have to stay hidden in this disgusting alley to survive. If anyone sees me, they'll kill me. I can't go to the police, my friends turned their backs on me... I have no one... Why did this happen...? Why?

"No... I don't want to live like this."

I lost everything... Absolutely everything... I no longer have anything... I have nothing, and no one.

I don't want to live like this... I do not want.

(Pov- Saik.)

I see... It was faster than I thought.

"Hey, Sylphie, look."

I showed a news story with my smartphone to Sylphie.

"The family of the girl who was bothering you was connected to a criminal organization. The father was arrested and the mother escaped with her daughter... Wow... I guess it's karma."

—... "I can't help but feel bad for her."

—... "Bad?"

“Well… I know she hurt me, but..."

"But...?"

How strange ... I can feel sadness in her... Does Sylphie feel sad for her?

... Why?

"She must be going through a bad time... I know what it's like to go through something similar... I've been through some bad times, too."

... Sylphie, you're a good person... Too good... And I feel sorry for that.

"I see... Yes... She must be having a hard time."

If she dies, it'll hurt Sylphie somehow, and it'll ruin my plan for Sylphie to be an independent person.

Ah... I must resolve this.

Ah. What laziness.

The teacher walked into the classroom and I pulled out my notebook, ready to start taking notes and feeding my brain with knowledge that I will only use in exams and never use for anything else.

"I guess all of you have already adapted to the school. Do you have any complaints or questions?"

Ram raised her hand, like the clichéd smart girl she is.

“I heard rumors about this school and its teaching method. "If you fail an exam, you're expelled." Is that true?"

"What we're looking for in this school is perfection. We don't admit mistakes. Failing and trying again is in our nature, but that doesn't apply here. If you fail a single exam, you will be expelled. If you cheat, you'll be expelled."

I heard something about that. In fact, that's why I got interested in this particular school. In a public school it was very likely that I had annoying classmates who would ruin my peaceful school life, but here I will have the peaceful school life I want to have.

With that stupid rule of expelling students for failing a single exam, everyone will be preoccupied with studying and won't have time to be annoying.

"Now I will explain the positive points."

She began writing on the board with her black marker. Everyone is silent watching the teacher's movements, except me, who is watching her left ear. She's got a nice earring with a red heart. Did her husband give it to her as a gift? How adorable.

Mmm... I've seen men wearing earrings. Would I look good with one...? I don't think so.

Something strange I noticed, is that the teacher only wears an earring. How strange. Will it be any fad?

... Oh, and she doesn't have an engagement ring, which means she's not married. How old will the teacher be? She looks young... I think she is about 28 or 30 years old.

She's not beautiful, but she's not ugly either. An 8 out of 10. She is very average. Average body... Although she's a flat woman... Wow... I got too distracted, she wrote a lot.

"The positive points are as follows. Each correct answer on a exam will give you one point. Each correct answer you give when I ask a question will give you one point. And, of course, the homework assignments have a certain number of points. The points you receive for your homework will depend on the quality of your homework."

Oh …

I see... They try to get the students to compete with each other... A rare educational system, but it can work if applied correctly.

Besides, it is a private school, students can choose whether to stay in school or not. If they do not agree with this system, they can study elsewhere.

"Any questions so far?"

Everyone was reading the rules the teacher wrote on the board.

One of these rules caught my attention.

I raised my hand.

"Any doubts, Saik?"

Everyone turned to see me.

"Rule number 4 says that at the end of each semester, the last place will be expelled. Could you tell us about the expulsions and the loss of points?"

“Excellent question, Saik. At the end of each semester, the student with the least positive points will be expelled, without exception. Students will lose points in the following ways: Failure to turn in homework and missing classes."

... That's all?

Ram raised her hand.

"Any questions, Ram?"

"Is that all, teacher? Won't the school take away points for our behavior or if we get in trouble?"

"No, we won't take away any points. Students are free to do whatever they want during class, such as using their smartphones or sleeping. As long as they don't speak loudly, they can do whatever they want."

Everyone began to murmur about how ridiculous those rules were.

I thought it was ridiculous too, but if a student doesn't pay attention to classes, their likelihood of being expelled increases.

"Saik ... This school is weird."

Yes, it is, Yuki.

I raised my hand.

"Excuse me, teacher. If I fall asleep, won't you scold me?"

"No."

"Then, good night."

I put my backpack on the table and prepared to sleep.

Ah... I will recover hours of sleep this way.

"Huh?! Are you really going to sleep, Saik?!"

Yes, Yuki. I won't waste this opportunity.

Sylphie watched Saik. She was very nervous and worried about him, because Saik fell asleep, proving that he is not interested in listening to the class.

"Saik ..."

"Well, I will continue."

"Wait, teacher!"

Ram got up from her seat and pointed her finger at Saik, who was already sound asleep.

"Will you really allow that?! This is a classroom, not his home!"

"It is his decision. His decisions will have consequences in the future."

—... "This school is weird."

“I will now explain the competencies in groups and individually. You will be able to earn extra points at the different events in the school, whether individual or group. I will explain in more detail in due course. Each school event has a certain number of possible points to earn. In the individual and group participations, the students will face each other to get points. There will be students who receive a lot of points and students who receive very few points, everything will depend on their performance. And you will also receive positive points for your contributions to society, for example, saving a woman attempting suicide."

She watched Saik for a few moments and smiled.

"The contributions you make to society, depending on the difficulty and time, will give you points. In the main hallway of the school, you will find a board with activities you can do to earn points, such as cleaning the beach, picking up trash, volunteering to help high school and elementary school students study, and so on. You can also earn points through school activities and sports, such as winning an official game of baseball, soccer, chess, swimming, and so on."

The teacher erased what she wrote and connected her computer to the board.

"Now I'll show you the total points you currently have."

The computer screen appeared on the board and everyone was silent as they searched for their names on the list.

"67?"

"59?"

"I have 34 points?!"

Everyone was beginning to worry, because, compared to the first place, they were very low.

"I have... 85 points? And Saik has... This must be a joke."

Yuki jumped excitedly as she watched the screen.

"First place again! 198 points, Saik! You're amazing!"

Everyone turned to see Saik, who was still asleep.

"Teacher, why does he have so many points?! Even Ram, who was the representative of the first year students, has less than half as many points as Saik!"- Said one of the students, indignant.

"He scored 150 points with the entrance exam. And he accumulated another 50 points for a contribution to society that he made. Unfortunately, he missed a class, so he lost two points. It was his first time, but next time he will lose 4 points, the next time 8, and so on."

"What contribution to society did he make to score so many points?"

"I'm not allowed to say, I'm sorry."

—... "Teacher, I'm sure I had almost no mistakes on the entrance exam. Why did he get 150 points and I got 85?"

"You missed two questions. One of these questions had a value of 15 points and the other had the highest value, 50 points. Saik did not fail at any. He was even the only one who answered that question well."

—... "Really?"

Ram turned to see him.

"Did that lazy guy do it?"

Sylphie looked down.

"29 points... Worst in class..."

"Teacher, I have another question. Many students are below 50 points. Why were they accepted?"

"Because of our education system, not many students want to study here because of the demand of the school. Those who scored more than 75 points, entered the school immediately. The others, to fill the classrooms, were chosen at random. Those who have less than 75 points, were lucky to be accepted."

"I see... This school is more interesting than I thought."

(Pov- Saik.)

"Saik, wake up, let's eat!"

Ah... Has lunchtime started yet, Yuki?

I opened my eyes and yawned... Ah... Sleeping in class feels great.

"Let's eat."

Sylphie approached me as I pulled out my lunches.

"Saik ... Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course."

"M-me... Me... I..."

Sylphie took a breath.

Why does she take it so seriously? Will she borrow money from me?

"W-would you help me study?"

"Ah... I see... You're worried about your future. Okay, but only one hour a day, okay?"

"T-thank you very much."

"Now I will go and eat my delicious food."

I tried to leave, but Ram stopped me, standing in front of me.

"What did you do?"

"It's just basic food. Sausages, eggs..."

“I don’t mean that."

"No? Then what do you mean?"

"You earned 50 points for a contribution to society. What did you do?"

I can feel everyone's eyes on me.

Mmm... A contribution to society?

"Mmm... No... No... Mmm... I'm sorry, but I don't remember doing anything good for society."

"Do not lie."

"I'm not lying. I really don't remember doing anything... I'm sorry, but I'm starving."

I pushed Ram aside and tried to get out.

"Please wait."

Now the president is keeping me from going to lunch. Ah, esto es un fastidio. Me muero de hambre ( Ah, this is a bummer. I'm starving)... Oh, my Spanish is getting better. Mother, father, you would be proud of me... I hope so... And wish... Ah... Can't I eat quietly?

"What do you want, Saoto?"

"We have to work together if we want to score points. Please tell us what you did. We would appreciate it very much."

—... "Didn't you hear me? I don’t remember. Believe me or not, I don't care. I'm telling the truth."

"Yes, of course."

"He keeps the secret to keep getting points."

"He is the first place and does not allow others to advance."

"Who does he think he is?"

Oh, I've already earned everyone's hatred just for telling the truth... How strange.

"Ah... I don't have time for this. I don't know anything about that, I'm telling the truth. Goodbye."

I got out of my classroom.

"W-wait, Saik!"

Sylphie caught up with me and started walking beside me.

"Will you keep asking me that too? I'll say it again, I don't know anything. I'm telling the truth."

"I-I know you wouldn't lie to me... Saik, do you know that you have the most points?"

"Most? Why?"

“Well…"

Sylphie told me in detail the rules the teacher said after I fell asleep.

I understood everything.

What I did for Iris, somehow the school found out and they gave me the points.

... Oh … I was wearing the uniform when I saved her. Some witness saw me and reported it... And the security cameras confirmed it.

... I feel stalked.

But I won't tell Sylphie, it's not necessary.

I don't think she would stand on a bridge waiting for someone to try to jump to save that person.

"Mmm... I still don't remember anything that makes me worthy of those 50 points. Maybe it was a mistake... By the way, Sylphie, how many points do you have?"

"29... Only 29 points... I'm the worst."

"I see... We must study even more... I'll increase the time to two hours a day."

"W-will you really help me?!"

"Of course. We'll study every day."

"T-thank you...! But I have to work."

"To work?"

"I have a job in a coffee shop. I work weekends."

"What time do you leave work?"

"At 6 p.m. my shift ends."

"And what time does the coffee shop close?"

"At 10 p.m. Why?"

"We can study in the coffee shop. If you go to my house it could be misunderstood and vice versa. Besides, eating while studying helps me concentrate. Do you think that's a good idea?"

"Y-yes, thank you very much!"

"Well, let's eat."

I don't like to eat in the school canteen... Ah... So many voices bother me.

I went back to my classroom, put one of my lunches in my backpack, and left my backpack open.

"I hate eating like that!"

But it is necessary, I don't want to be discovered.

Yuki is eating sitting on the floor, pulling food out from behind my seat.

No one will see her, so I don't worry, my back protects her.

"I miss eating on the roof!"

Ah... Me too.

I miss my lonely school life.

Classes were over, I took my backpack and went to the library to study with Sylphie.

Blah, blah, blah. We just studied, nothing interesting happened.

After that, we each went our separate ways and went home.

"I’m hungry."

"No, don't do anything to me...! Hmmmh!"

Just in time.

"Saik, did you hear that?! It's a girl asking for help! You must save her!"

"Yes... I'll do it just because I hate everything about rape."

I went into an alley ...

"D-damned bastards! They're trying to rape that girl! Saik, do something!"

The girl who molested Sylphie, she's about to be raped by... Mmm... I think they are members of her father's rival criminal organization.

I see... They were looking for her, and instead of murdering her, they try to rape her first... Something wild.

"Hey, you're making a lot of noise. Would you shut up?"

"Tsk. Kill him."

5 men... Well... I think I can do it.

One of them tried to cut my throat with a knife, but I dodged it and took his hand.

I had him stab himself in the neck.

I released him and three men tried the same thing.

With agile movements, I dodged their attacks and caused them to stab themselves.

The four men were on the ground, dying.

All this in less than 5 seconds.

"W-What?"

"Oh... You pulled down your pants and tried to remove her underwear while using your huge right hand to cover her mouth. You are disgusting."

He pointed a gun at me and pulled the trigger.

"Eh?"

"No bullets, huh?"

"W-What?"

I showed him a knife.

"This doesn't need bullets."

I put it around his neck.

"N-no, please!"

"She asked you the same thing and you didn't listen to her. Do you think you deserve to be listened to?"

I covered his mouth and cut his throat.

"You don't deserve mercy."

After a few seconds, he fell to the ground fainting. He will die in a couple more minutes, like his companions.

"Ah... That's disgusting."

I bent down and looked that girl in the eyes.

Her eyes reflected fear... She is very disturbed... Well, she was about to be raped, her reaction was obvious.

"I guess I got there in time."

Her blouse is broken... Her skirt is fine.

I took my shirt off.

"N-no. H-have mercy."

Her tears... Ah... I feel sorry for her.

I threw my shirt at her face.

"Here, put this on and pull up your skirt."

Good thing I always have an emergency shirt in my backpack, you never know when you'll need it.

I put on my shirt and she looked at me... She's shaking too much and crying... Ah... It is my weak point... I really hate rape.

"Hey, I heard what happened to your family... If you come with me, I guarantee you protection. You can see what I'm capable of."

I extended my hand to her.

"Will you accept my help?"

She started crying more and took my hand.

"T-thank you very much."

I helped her up and she hugged me.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!"

—... "You're welcome...? Hey, put the shirt on, we have to go."

"Y-Yes!"

I turned around while she was changing and Yuki kept shaking with fear.

"S-Saik ... W-was it necessary to do that?"

"Yes... It was necessary."

There are no security cameras... But the police can find me... Ah... Damn it, I'll have to do it... Again.

"Yuki, I'm sorry for doing this... Forget all this."

"Eh?"

I took Ninda to my house.

She needs to calm down.

"You're a minor and you weren't involved in your father's business. If you go to the police, nothing more serious will happen."

“But... They'll find me."

"They won't, I give you my word. Look."

I showed her some news on my smartphone.

"Both criminal organizations are destroyed. All linked people are dying. If you weren't directly related, they won't do anything to you."

This 'll take a while.

I went into the kitchen.

"It was amazing, Saik knocked all those men unconscious with his own fists! That was the coolest thing I've ever seen!"

"Saik, are you okay?"

... Ah... Sorry, Yuki, it was just for this occasion... I had to modify your memories... I am sorry.

"Yes... I'm fine... I'm going out for an hour... I need to go buy something."

"I'm coming with you!"

"No... I will go alone... Goodbye."

I went upstairs and knocked on the bathroom door.

"Ninda, I'll go out, I'll buy something. There is food in the refrigerator."

"Yes... Thank you."

Her tone of voice... She is now calmer...

I must do it.

Ah... Ah. What laziness.

"W-What?! Shadow?!"

"Hello, old man. 89, you got older. Age spares no one, huh?"

I left Ninda on the old man's bed. I think she will be asleep for a few more hours.

"I came into your house while you were sleeping. Something cliché... Would a cooler entrance have been better?"

"Finally, after so many years...!"

I covered his mouth.

I want to go back, I'm hungry. I'm using my Shadow form, something I don't want to do anymore, but the situation prevents me from doing so.

"You'll do as I say, understand? If you don't, I will kill every member of your organization, and you know I have the power to do that. That would have serious consequences and, frankly, I don't care. Will you do what I tell you?"

He looked at me furiously and nodded.

"Perfect... By the way..."

The legendary ghost number 31 appeared beside me.

"She will make sure you do your job well."

I released him and he fell to his knees.

"31?"

"In fact, I like to be called Shadow's wife."

"No."- My normal life prevents me from having her as a wife.

"Kya! I love that side of you!"

"Ah... Whatever... Make sure Ninda is protected. Understood?"

"Y-yes."

Ah... I am starving.

(The next day.)

I watched the news on my smartphone... More than 2,000 people were found dead... I think they were more... Well, it doesn't matter.

I erased Ninda's memory, so she won't know my identity.

That's something I can only do a couple of times, that's why I never use it.

But since I'm gonna die in a couple of years, it doesn't matter anymore.

I think I can only use it one more time... I'll keep it wisely.

"I'll take a bath."

I went into the bathroom and looked in the mirror.

"Ah... I am a murderer."

I only killed bad people, but... Murder is still that... Murder.

I should feel a little guilty, but... I don't feel bad... I feel nothing.

Ah... I'm definitely a freak.

Well... I used Shadow's identity for the last time... I hope I never have to use it.

10