Free but at what cost
400 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He stands at the edge of the cliff to look down. He pulls his hood over his head and sighs, then turns around and speaks to a seemingly empty forest.

"Why was I called here?"

The person that was trying to be stealthy behind him flinches when they see the person in a pitch black hooded gown turn around to ask the question.

"As observant as ever I see. The boss has a message for you."

"Is it a job? Why is it so important we had to meet here? You know I prefer if she messaged me instead."

"It isn't a job... she says you're free to go."

Silence. It feels as if time has frozen. The messenger gulps, fearing for the reaction that The Reaper may have.

'As expected'

"Is that so. I'm guessing it's not the type of freedom I'm thinking of seeing you brought so many people with you?"

Dozens of people start revealing themselves from inside the forest, all completely armed with weapons and different types of defensive gear yet still looking nervous.

"We're sorry, you know it's how the job goes. We'd appreciate if you made this easy for us. Only one person has to die here today, please?"

The Reaper looks around and grips the scythe in hands before throwing it behind him off the cliff. He backs up a few steps until he's about to fall.

"I understand, it was bound to happen eventually. But I'm not going to be the only one dying here today."

Everyone was about to sigh in relief before those final words. They clench their weapons, still ready for a fight even though his scythe isn't with him anymore. That's how dangerous they feel he is.

The person that delivered the message nervously asks, "W-What do you mean by that? Even you won't be able to take on this many of us without a weapon!"

"Relax, I'm not going to fight all of you. Just, when you report todays situation make sure you tell her these numbers. '75293' Easy right?"

He takes the final step back and starts falling. He shuts his eyes, ready for his final moments.

'I guess this is the closest I'll get to the freedom I've always wanted. It feels nice. I hope they didn't forget the numbers'

Then he feels the pain

'I guess I hit the ground. It hurts less than I thou..."

Out of nowhere the pain gets progressively worse. He starts screaming while the pain continues and opens his eyes to see his body, changing? It looks, and feels, as if he's being torn apart and put back together piece by piece.

'FUCKING.. AH! What's going on?! Is this the afterlife?! WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING!"

Everything fades to black, and the intense feeling made him pass out.

~~~~~~~

*Click* "Is it over?"

"Yes Boss. No casualties, and Reaper is dead."

"No casualties? How is that possible? I was even thinking I sent too FEW people to deal with him."

"He ended up giving up and decided to jump of the cliff leaving behind a message. Saying he wouldn't fight us yet he still wouldn't be the only one to die today after telling you his last words. I also sent a team to retrieve the body."

"Ominous. Multiple people die everyday, he was probably trying to do a scare tactic. What were his last words?"

"He said to tell you the numbers 7 5 2 9 3"

...

"wait, repeat those please"

"7 5 2 9 3"

"Did he only tell you specifically those numbers?"

" Um yes he said them towards me but I'm sure everyone else heard it too."

*Click* "Fuck."

The Boss hurriedly gets up after hanging up the phone and heads to the elevator in her office. She clicks floors 7 5 2 9 and 3 in those order and it takes her to a secret meeting room for higherups underneath the building. When the elevator doors open hers eyes widen and she covers her mouth. Dismembered limbs and decapitated heads of some of the most important clients, highest officials, and other people who were said to be on par with "The Reapers" skill strewn all over the floor. She looks up and on the wall just 3 simple words made her heart drop. 'MAKE THE CALL'

*blegh* Even with her line of business, this scene was still enough to make her throw up. She takes her trembling hand off her mouth and wipes it on her jacket, then reaches in her pants pocket to grab her phone and hits the first person on speed dial.

*Click* "Yello? Not like you to contact me first. Everything good?"

"Everyone who went to take care of Reaper, kill them."

~~~~~~~

*Crash* "Ugh, where.." 

The Reaper looks around and notices he seems to be on some kind of ruined ship. There seems to be about 100 people who look on the verge of dying around him, yet they still look ready to fight him. He notices his scythe at his feet and picks it up. Everyone around him gets disturbed by the sight.

"Now, would anyone mind telling me where I am?"

"DIE!" one of the starved people yell while charging at him with a sword. But it seems the shout took all the energy he had left as he didn't get far before falling over on the deck.

"Look I'll leave peacefully, I don't even know why I'm here. None of you seem to even have the energy to stand much less fight me. This doesn't have to end with death."

Everyone seemed to be confused at those words before one speaks up "We aren't falling for your tricks reaper! We still have enough energy to live, we aren't going with you today!"

'Ah I forgot my clothes. Now I see why they're so on edge, especially when I picked up my weapon. Okay guess I need to find a way out of this'

"I see. None of you are the reason I'm here, yet that can change if you don't put down your weapons and answer my questions."

Everyone flinches at those words but still lowers their weapons, realizing it's the only chance to get out of this situation.

"Smart. Now once again, where am I and who are all of you?"

A different pirate that seems to have the most energy out of everyone else takes a couple step closer to answer.

"You're on the ship of the Don Krieg priates. We're at the sea restaurant Baratie so the crew can eat."

'Don Krieg and Baratie? Why does that sound so familiar?'

"What sea are we in?"

"? The East Blue"

'That settles it. Sounds unbelievable but pretty sure I know what happened'

*BOOM* Everyone turns towards the explosion that came from the restaurant. Shortly after the sound of multiple guns shooting at the same time is heard.

'And I think I know exactly where I am in this story. Only one way to confirm it.'

"Think I found who I'm looking for. Alright, see ya" The Reaper says as he jumps off the ship onto the Baratie.

As he approaches the entrance he hears people talking.

"If any of you still feel like dying even after I warned you, then so be it! I'll bury you at the bottom of the sea for eternity!"

'Perfect timing'

"Oh really? Does that include me?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

14