Chapter 15
518 0 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The quivering little girl looked at him with eyes wide open filled with fear and disbelief. She looks like a girl who was protected from all the evil of this world, sheltered oh so carefully like a precious porcelain doll. It was her first time witnessing such harshness she was still in shock. 

Looking at the little girl stupidly staring at him, Ryo felt extremely displeased and irritated, assuming that the little girl was taking his words with disregard. He clicked his tongue and glared at the little girl before him. 

"You really are a stubborn brat that doesn't know what's good for her. You dare disregard my words!" Ryo cracked his whip on the ground near the little girl's foot to scare her. 

It did scare the little girl witless as she turned into a crying mess from fright.

"P-please don't hurt me! I-I'm the Duke's daughter!" The little girl suddenly blurted out as she was extremely frightened. 

"What did you just say?!" Ryo's frown deepened as he prepared his whip. 

"I-... I'm the D-Duke's daughter." The girl said in between sobs. 

"You-! How dare you spout nonsense!" Ryo bellowed as the words that left the little girl's mouth touched a nerve.

He raised his hands and was about to whip the little girl in a fit of anger when he felt that the teleportation array was activated, meaning that his parents were back. He withdrew his hands and glared angrily at the young girl who was a sobbing mess. 

"What's this ruckus all about?" His father questioned as they approached them. 

Katsumi observed them calmly, her hands around her husband's arm. 

"This-! This girl had been causing a ruckus for quite some time now and even dared to claim that she's your daughter, Father!" Ryo said angrily as he continued glaring at the little girl and even pointed an  accusing finger at her. 

Damien's eyebrows furrowed as he looked at the little girl who dared to claim to be his daughter. As he assessed her looks, he couldn't help but feel that the girl's features were somewhat familiar. From the light magic oozing uncontrollably from the girl to her facial features. He felt uncomfortable as if he had forgotten something important. 

Katsumi was still calm, although deep inside she was slightly surprised by the little girl's words. However, she didn't take it seriously since she believes that her husband loves her dearly and wouldn't dare betray her this much. She was thinking that this girl was probably tricked by her relatives so she planned on letting her off. 

The little girl who was a sobbing mess felt the gazes on her and was uncomfortable. When he gazed at her 'father's' eyes, it was filled with disbelief, making her panic. She approached Damien, forgetting that the man was a Duke and a vampire at that. 

"I-It's true! I really am your d-daughter! Mom said that i-if you didn't believe me, I j-just have to show this to you." The little girl said as she wiped her tears and snot away using her sleeves, earning a grunt of disgust from Ryo. 

The little girl placed her luggage down and rummaged through it messily. When she found what she was looking for, she heaved a sigh of relief and gave the wooden box to Damien. 

Damien took the wooden box after checking that it poses no harm to them and opened it only to be shocked from what he saw. In the wooden box, there laid the pocket watch he inherited from his father. It was something that was exclusively made for him so it was only one of a kind since his father expended a lot of resources just to create this pocket watch. 

He remembered that he lost this pocket watch after a certain incident happened in the past. It was something he really treasured and always brought it along with him wherever he goes and was extremely upset when he lost it. He did look for it but he was unable to find it. 

Katsumi noticed that something was wrong with her husband's expression and suddenly felt as if her stomach dropped. She calmed herself down to keep her mind free from the absurd thoughts that were slowly creeping in her mind. 

Ryo noticed that his parent's expressions were odd so when he was about to reprimand the girl for being impudent, Damien's words shocked all of them. 

"Touma, call for the family wizard. Inform him that a paternity test will be conducted immediately." Damien said coldly and still expressionless but only he knows how nervous he was feeling at the moment. 

"As you command, my Lord." Touma, the head butler said and bowed respectfully as he strode towards the teleportation array. 

Katsumi was stunned by her husband's words and the negative thoughts she worked so hard to keep at bay started creeping back. Doubts raised in her mind but still hoped that her husband was just making sure that he was unrelated to the little girl. 

Ryo was shocked as well by his father's command but held his tongue as he noticed the tense atmosphere. He clenched his fists tightly out of anger and glared daggers at the little girl, wishing that he could erase her existence right then and there. 

When the family wizard finally arrived, the magical tools used for the paternity test were set up immediately upon his arrival in the manor's hall. Ryo, Damien, Katsumi, and the little girl were sitting on the sofa, waiting for the wizard to finish setting up. The servants on the side tried to minimize their presence as much as possible so they won't be caught in the crossfire that's about to happen. 

"Please place your hand on the orb. You'll feel a little bit of pain but please endure it and keep your hand on the orb until the process is finished." The wizard said and turned to look at the little girl to explain how shit worked. 

The little girl innocently nodded, her big round eyes still red and moist from crying earlier. She nervously placed her hand on the orb as per instructions and took a shaky breath to calm herself down. 

The little girl gasped in pain but still kept her hand on the orb. It felt like thousands of needles were prickling her hands, sending shock through her body down to her spine. It felt like she was being thoroughly checked from the inside out. It was extremely uncomfortable and painful, making her cry once more. 

The whole process only took 5 seconds but it felt like years to her. It was understandable since she was still so young and was forced to undergo such treatment. The wizard also deliberately set the sensitivity on high to punish this impertinent girl who dared to claim that she's the Duke's daughter. 

She shakily went back to her seat as she checked her small tender hands if it was bleeding but it wasn't, making her heave a sigh of relief. She wiped her tears and snot using her sleeves once more but this time, Ryo chose to pretend that she didn't exist. 

Damien did the same process as the little girl but he didn't feel the pain of it since he's already a full grown vampire, this pain was nothing but a tickle to him. Once he was done, he sat back on his seat beside his wife who looked paler than usual. 

The little girl's red light in the orb was mixed with blue light and Damien's was deep red. Their lights rejected each other at first but soon it slowly merged with each other, letting out a calm and harmonious light. Everyone understood what it meant. 

Katsumi slumped weakly on the sofa as the thread of hope she was desperately clinging to finally snapped. It felt like she fell into a bottomless pit with cold wind blades blasting through her body straight to her heart. The firm belief and confidence that her husband wouldn't betray her shattered right at this moment as she was gradually submerged in grief. 

"Wha-! How could this be?! That's impossible! Something must've gone wrong! Do it again!!!" Ryo exclaimed as he denied the truth right in front of him. 

But no one paid any attention to him since they were too shocked by the result. 

"Father would never betray mother! He wouldn't betray us! Father, you should know better so please explain what's going on. It's not true right?" Ryo asked his father desperately. 

He was close to kneeling down and he would if this would make his father deny the truth. He looked at his father hopefully but he only saw Damien hold his head on his hand as his shoulders slumped weakly. Ryo scoffed in disbelief at the absurdity of it all. 

He looked at his mother who was silently crying in her hands, her trembling shoulders made her look like a fragile woman. The strong mother he always saw was no longer there. It was replaced by a wife with a broken heart from her husband's infidelity. What's worse is that the fruit of that infidelity was just right next to them. 

Damien, who looked lifeless earlier, looked at his crying wife and tried to hold her but she pushed him back, as if his mere touch could break her. Because he could. She believed in his love for her. She believed that he was faithful to her for so many years so having that belief shattered right then and there was just too much to her. 

As she cried, she remembered how this little girl was conceived. It was that time when Damien was so out of it from being drugged and she wasn't there. It was that time that Damien first broke her heart but she eventually forgave him since she really loved him and wasn't totally at fault with what happened. 

As the pain in her chest engulfed her, she abruptly stood up and was about to leave when Damien held her arms. 

"Please let me explain. I—"

"Explain what? I already know what happened. It's the incident with that b- Saintess right? This is the second time you've broken my heart, Damien. I will need space and time to pull myself together from this." Katsumi said, her face devoid of emotion but her eyes hid her grief. 

Although Damien wanted to make her stay, he couldn't force her since it would only hurt her more so he decided to let go. Katsumi approached the original Ryo who was on the verge of tears as he witnessed the situation. She crouched down to match his level and held his cheeks gently on her hands. Ryo nuzzled her hands, seeking comfort. 

"Mother…"

"I will go somewhere first to collect myself so I won't make decisions that I would regret due to my chaotic emotions. However, I promise you that I won't take too long and I'll be back soon so please be a good boy while Mother's away, alright?" Katsumi said softly to her son as she hugged him. 

The original Ryo didn't want her to go. He wants her to stay or take him with her but he also wants to stay with his father. He didn't know what to choose. So he stayed silent. He didn't want to make his mother suffer more because of his selfishness so he decided to keep silent and just nod to her. 

The original Ryo only glanced as his mother walked away while tears started pouring down uncontrollably. He was in so much pain, it was as if he was being stabbed using a blunt knife, slowly penetrating his chest. He wanted someone to comfort him but as he looked around, he only saw the figure of his father who was slumped lifelessly on the couch while the little girl pursed her lips and looked at them with innocent eyes. 

He hated those innocent eyes as if she didn't do anything wrong. 

As if her arrival here didn't ruin a family. 

As Ryo focused his eyes on the little girl, the burning anger and hate he had been feeling intensified. He had never hated someone so much as he did now. He clenched his hands as his fangs protruded from his mouth, wanting to tear her neck off. However he stood deeply rooted in his place as he promised that he'll behave himself. 

Ryo who had been observing this memory felt sad for the original Ryo and when he saw that the original stood all alone, crying, without someone to lean on, made him want to comfort the broken hearted boy but when he touched the original Ryo, his surroundings shifted once more. 

The surroundings were dark and gloomy. The pitter patter of the rain hitting the ground was accompanied by the low murmurs of the people present. There were beastkins, werewolves, and mostly vampires and all of them were wearing mourning clothes. Ryo shifted his eyes and saw the original Ryo together with his brother and father standing in front of a freshly dug tomb. 

The original Ryo's eyes were devoid of life but tears kept pouring down as if it was a broken tap. His brother held a grim expression but he didn't look too heartbroken. His father didn't cry but his eyes were just like Ryo's. Empty and filled with darkness as if the only light in his life was extinguished. The little girl was nowhere to be seen since Ryo might just bury the girl right then and there. 

"I heard the Duchess was ambushed on her way to her maternal family's home. It was said that she was killed brutally thus the family decided to just turn her into ashes. It was really a gruesome sight."

"Yes, there's also a rumour going around that the Duke had an illegitimate daughter that's why the Duchess ran back to her family."

"It's a pity. She still has a young kid to raise and she's still young too."

Ryo who was observing this memory finally was able to figure out what was happening. The original Ryo's mother died due to an ambush on her way to her family. It shocked him as he didn't expect that a character in an otome game would have such a tragic backstory. 

The original Ryo kept staring at his mother's tomb with dead eyes. The pain in his chest was too much; it was even spreading all throughout his body. His limbs felt numb and even his head felt light. All he could feel and think about was the pain of his mother's death. 

Mother, you said you'll come back… 

You said you just needed time

So why

Why did you left me

What do I do mom

I feel so lonely

I really miss you

Those thoughts that should've been just known to the original Ryo, were also heard by Ryo who was observing the memory. Ryo could feel the intense sadness and grief the original was feeling that it was also affecting him even though he was just a spectator. Before Ryo was drowned by the original's chaotic emotions, the surroundings shifted again making Ryo heave a sigh of relief. 

Ryo noticed that the surroundings were near the servant's quarters. The hallways were dark since it was already night time and probably still in the mourning period. Ryo was looking for the original when he saw someone moved in the shadow, not too far away from the slightly opened door of a servant's room. He was almost startled by this and noticed that it was the original. 

The original Ryo looked haggard and dead tired. Dark circles under his red swollen eyes and his back was slightly hunched. Ryo went closer and heard the voices inside the servant's room. 

"Hey I heard something from the servants who have been serving this family for a long time."

"What is it?"

"There was this time when young master Rei was just a few years old, there's an incident that happened when the Duke visited the holy temple."

Ryo looked and the original who was frowning but didn't leave. 

"The Duke was poisoned by something that made it really fatal for him. When he was on the brink of death, they said that the Saintess saw him and rescued him. They didn't speak more about it but I think the Saintess used her body to save the Duke. There was a rumour going around that the Saintess was interested in the Duke, although the church denied it, I do think that she was really interested in the Duke."

Gasps were heard in the room as the servants discussed among themselves. Ryo saw the original clench his fists in anger and stormed away. Ryo was just about to follow him when the surroundings changed once more. Ryo was startled when the door slammed open. He saw the original glaring at the little girl in the room with his swollen red eyes. 

The little girl was also startled and stood up abruptly when she saw the original Ryo. 

"B-brother—"

"Don't call me brother! I don't have a sibling like you!" The original Ryo said and pushed the little girl out of anger. 

The little girl slammed against the sofa that also toppled over from the impact. The little girl cried and looked at the original Ryo with aggrieved eyes making him althemore irritated. 

"Wh-what did I do… Why did you push me? It hurts." The little girl said as she clutched her injured arm. 

"It hurts? That's nothing compared to the pain you caused with your appearance!" Ryo shouted as a tear fell from his eyes down to his cheeks. 

"I-I'm sorry. I…I just did what my mother told me to do." The little girl said as she wiped her tears away using the back of her hand. 

"It's all you and your mother's fault! If your mother wasn't such a whore, my mother wouldn't have been so hurt! She wouldn't have left! She... She wouldn't have died…" Ryo shouted at the little girl between sobs. 

"My mother's not a whore!"

"She is! If she wasn't, she wouldn't have set her eyes on someone who's already married! I really really hate you so much. Why did you have to exist and ruin everything?!" Ryo said as he wiped his tears away roughly. 

When the servants entered the room, what they saw was a little girl wailing while Ryo cried. It was noisy mainly because of the little girl's wails. The servants comforted the little girl while leaving the original Ryo alone since they were afraid that he would lash out at them. 

No one approached the original Ryo nor thought of even comforting the boy. They looked at him with apprehensive eyes. The original Ryo looked at them comforting the little girl gently and looked at himself and saw that no one was approaching him. His mind was in tumult as he was overwhelmed by his grief and sadness. There was also anger and hate wreaking havoc in his mind altogether. 

Ryo looked at this situation and let out a helpless sigh. The maids were afraid of Ryo since he was violent. Ryo needed comforting but no one was there to comfort him. Not even his father who was also drowned in sorrow. His brother, Ryo guesses that by this time Rei was already taken over by the phantom, also ignored him and instead pampered the little girl, making the original Ryo hate her much more and feel lonlier. 

You ruined my family to have your own. 

Ryo's surroundings shifted once more and he was back in the white room he was in at first. He thought that the flashbacks were done but a film-like screen appeared in front of him, showing him snippets of what happened later on. 

The little girl was pampered by many and was able to smile her way in Damien's heart. Damien was in deep sorrow so the little girl persistently comforted him, successfully earning the right to be his daughter. The original Ryo was slowly alienated as the little girl stole the hearts of the people around her. 

His home disappeared along with his mother. 

The one who ruined it was warmly welcomed while he, the legitimate child, was alienated. 

'Mum, my home's gone'

(A/N: I forgot to mention updates are once or twice a week.) 

These were the last thoughts of the original Ryo before he completely blackened.


15