Chapter 4
86 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ha-taegyong warned her with an irritated voice.

“If you make another fuss then I’ll remove you from the group.”

“What, what did you just say?”

She had somehow escaped from Lee-junghan’s grip, and Che-nayun talked back angrily. However, Ha-taegyong ignored her and he headed towards the front.
He decided he didn’t need to waste his mental power facing that kind of a woman.

The front group was in darkness, but they came into view as Ha-taegyong brought the lamp closer. Park-junghwan was on the floor clutching his ankle. Next to him, Hwang-gijung was giving him first aid. The two others, Kim-jungin and Kim-gyushik, were on-guard and they were  looking around their surrounding. The lamp that was held by Park-junghwan was rolling around beneath Kim-gyushik’s feet. At a glance, the oil had spilled so it probably can’t perfom its duty.

‘There is only 2 lamps left. We’ve already made such a big mistake. Stupid bastard.’

A light of contempt briefly swept across Ha-taegyong’s eyes as he was looking down at Park-junghwan. However, no one noticed it.

“What happened?”

“I think he got caught in a trap…”

Hwang-gijung was looking at the details, when his words trailed off. Ha-taegyong sensed that the situation wasn’t good, so he moved closer to look at the affected area.

“Gahhhh…… My foooot…..”

There was a steel trap as thick as the first joint of his finger wrapped around the ankle. The trap was dug in so deep that the ankle was cut half way, and it was a miracle that it wasn’t amputated. It was impossible for it to dig in that deep just from the pressure of the clamp. After coming to that conclusion, Ha-taegyong turned toward Hwang-gijong.

As if Hwang-gijong had sensed his intent, he started detailing what had happened.

“There are blades attached to the inner part of the snare.”

“What about first aid?”

“We’ve done our best to staunch the blood flow, but the blood loss is too severe. First, we have to get rid of that snare. The worst case scenario… We might have to amputate the foot.”

“What? You, you mother fuck…er! You son of a bitch! You want to cut off my foot? You want to die!”

The fallen Park-junghwan cussed at the top of his lungs with bloodshot eyes. His voice couldn’t hide his uneasiness and despair. He knew what was going to be done. Putting the amputation of his foot aside, he knew that he might be abandoned.

“I can stand! I can fight! Shit… Ughh!”

“Jung-hwan, stop behaving so disgracefully. Just sleep a little bit.”

Kim-gyushik chopped down behind Park-junghwan’s neck. His eyes rolled back into his head and he fainted immediately. Unlike his downplaying words, his face had hardened. He had a similar disposition as Park-junghwan, so he had treated him like an older brother of kindred spirit. He must have felt uncomfortable inside since they had a brother-like relationship.

Noguduk was observing all of this from the corner, and he swallowed drily. His eyes was fixed on Park-junghwan’s ankle, which was covered in blood. He couldn’t look away, and the blood started to make a small puddle. Even though he was old, he reacted this way so the others’ reaction was as expected. The women were especially spooked.
When Park-junghwan fainted after speaking briefly, they let out an involuntary ‘Ah!’ and they jumped in place.

It was their first casualty, and its significance was large.

The fact that they could really die was finally felt. Even though the person didn’t die, he had received an injury that disqualified him from battle. He didn’t check beneath his feet for a moment, and he got tangled in an absurd trap. He was harmed, and this was probably lowest point in his life. No, the grade wasn’t important. If he didn’t get treatment soon then he’ll live his life as a disabled person after the draft had ended.

So what should they do with Park-junghwan? Everyone stared at Ha-taegyon with meaningful gazes.

“Currently, we don’t have any methods to treat Mr. Park-junghwan. I believe it would be best if we left Mr. Park-junghwan at the entrance. This should be safer for him.”

“…you want to throw him away? If we leave him there then he might die!”

Yoon-hweeji spoke with an angry face, but Ha-taegyong was still cold as ever.

“It is a risk I am willing to take. Didn’t we all agree to this? Moreover, it isn’t guaranteed that he will die. At the very least, there shouldn’t be any risk factors until we ascend the stairs.”

“He could die from excessive blood loss.”

“Mr. Hwang-gijung did his best to staunch the blood. We just have to hope he will last until the draft ends.”

“You… How can you say that….!”

Yoon-hweeji had a hard time connecting her words, because she was so angry. Noguduk felt a bit of regret observing this. Of course, he didn’t feel sorry for Park-junghwan. He felt regret at his circumstance where he wasn’t able to step up and help Yoon-hweeji. In his heart, he rooted for Yoon-hweeji, but he also understood the nasty Ha-taegyong’s perspective.

“Is Miss Yoon-hweeji going to take Mr Park-junghwan with you?”

“What?”

“Mr Park-junghwan is unable to walk right now. So who is going to help him? Also, are you going to be responsible for the loss of our fighting strength? What if this causes a secondary damage? Will Ms. Yoon-hweeji take responsibility? How are you going to do that?”

“Ah, that, I….”

The rapidly fired arguments from Ha-taegyong made Yoon-hweeji unable to find her words, so she kept opening and closing her mouth. She was generally against the idea of leaving the injured, but she hadn’t really thought about what would happen afterwards. She probably hadn’t had the need to give thought to it before. She had everything from wealth to honor, so everyone probably took care of everything if she said the word. (TLN:since she is wealthy/famous, everyone just agreed and did everything she wanted)

Everyone was observing the war of words between the two without breathing. Once Yoon-hweeji became speechless, they thought it was over. They felt sorry for Park-junghwan, but after thinking over it twice and then a third time, Ha-taegyong’s logic made more sense. Their current situation was too dangerous for them to expect humanitarianism.

However, they had underestimated Yoon-hweeji’s principle. She nibble on her lips. As if she had come to a decision, she spoke forcefully with a resolute light in her eyes.

“I’ll stay here.”

“What? What did you just say?” (TLN: he was speaking in a respectful form before)

Even Ha-taegyong seemed to be shocked as he unintentionally talked down to her. Yoon-hweeji slowly blinked her eye once then she spoke again in a peaceful voice.

“Any ways, I’m a single shot power.(TLN: I’m guessing her ability can only be used once) It’ll be hard for me to be of immediate help, so I’ll remain here and look over Mr Park-junghwan. Since I brought it up, I’ll take responsibility.”

“Ha. Do you really think that makes any sense….!”

With their eyes dilated, the two was about to enter into the second round.(TLN: second round of argument)

-Sssahhhhh! Shwee-shiiiiiiik!

On the one hand, it sounded like deflating air, but it also sounded like someone was whistling. The group looked at each other as if to say, “Did you hear that?” Ah-haemi’s senses were comparatively more sensitive than the others, so she turned toward the sound with a grave expression. She looked towards the dark corridor across from her. She was sure that the sound wasn’t natural. The tension between the people was like a taught thread.

Ha-taegyong had already recovered his bearing, and he ordered Shin-soyool from the rear group to join the front group. The incident with Park-junghwan made Shin-soyool hesitate, but he was the first one up from the reserves. She had no reasons to refuse the order. Eventually, she walked forward with slumped shoulders as she held onto the lamp.

During all of this, Kim-jungin had knelt on the floor and he put his ears to the ground. Kim-gyushik scolded him when he saw this.

“You’ve watched too many shows. Hey, get up.”

“Footsteps… There are six. No, seven. There are seven of them.”

“What? Are you bullshitting me?”

“He is probably right. That person’s senses is extraordinary. Moreover, it is still blurry, but… I also see their silhouette. There are, at the very least, five of them.”

Ahn-haemi, who was frowning and squinting, gave credence to Kim-jungin’s words. The fact that his senses were extraordinary was shown in Kim-jungin’s warning prior to Park-junghwan stepping on the trap. Kim-gyushik didn’t say anything further, and he started to touch the head of his large mace.

After a while, the other people could clearly hear it.

-Shwaaaaaaa….

The wind noise was filled with a sense of spookiness. The distinct sound of a presence interspersed with the sound of the wind became clearer.

Tuk. Tuk. Tuk. Tuk. Tuk.

The silence of the stale basement was broken. The sound of something hard hitting the floor was getting closer, and the people’s heart beat faster. They felt as if the unknown enemy approaching them was chasing after them. The oppressive air was heavy as lead, and several people from the group felt it pressing down on their spirit. They moaned through clenched teeth. Che-nayun lost all the fight she had shown towards Ha-taegyon, and she was shaking enough for one to feel pity towards her.

Tuh-buk. Tuh-buk. Tuh-buk. Tuh-buk. Tuh-buk. (TLN: heavy footstep sfx)

The sound of several something approaching was now heard in front of their noses, and it rang out loudly like thunder. The group was half filled with curiosity, and the other half was filled with fear. They stared hard into the pitch-black darkness. Soon, they could see the things come in range of the lamp’s light, and they could see it walking slowly towards them.

“…skeletons?”

“Ggi-yaaaaaak! Mommy!”

Che-nayun couldn’t take it any more, so she buried her face in Yoon-hweeji’s arm, while she shrieked. Yoon-hweeji confirmed the identity of these things. She was so shocked that she froze like a statue. Even though Che-nayun was hanging onto her arm, she didn’t react in any way.

It wasn’t only Yoon-hweeji. The beings walked across the corridor, while cutting through the darkness. They were without a single ounce of flesh on their bodies.  They were none other than skeletons. The party couldn’t accept this unrealistic view, so they were frozen in place like a rock. The reality differed too much from the theory. Even if they knew in their head that ‘monsters’ would be coming out, the animated skeleton couldn’t exist in their common sense, which was stuck in the modern times. This gap caused confusion, and the fear towards the unknown existences wreaked havoc inside their mind.

However, not everyone was like that.

“Forward unit! Wake up and attack!”

The members of the forward group was barely able to put themselves together again after they heard Ha-taegyong’s sharp shout. While they were lifting their weapons, a shadow suddenly ran out and the shadow quickly attacked skeletons straight on.

Ssssgak!

In a flash, Kim-jungin had cut the head off the lead skeleton, which was standing there dumbly. Then he heard the sound of the wind made from a slash.  He quickly bent his body. He was able to avoid the attack that was aimed at his chest. The decapitated skeleton had counter-attacked. The blunt sword narrowly missed his back. While in a crouch, Kim-jungin proceeded to jump like a spring, and he delivered a heavy drop kick towards the skeleton’s chest.

Koo-dang-tahng-tahng! (TLN: sfx of a crash)

The drop kick had the weight of a grown man behind it, and the skeleton that was directly hit fell backwards. It bowled into the other skeletons and they fell like dominoes. This was how Kim-jungin temporarily neutralized three skeletons. Soon, he proceeded to shout, while blocking the attack of another skeleton.

“These bastards will attack you even if their heads are blown away, so be careful!”

“We know since we saw it! Ooh-ryahhhhhh!”

The front group was impressed by Kim-jungin’s nimble movement, but they also didn’t stay still. They were scouted as the so-called hunters, so they all already had a basic quality. The front group especially was formed from people, who were confident about close quarters combat. The iron mace held a brutal strength. It broke the brittle ribs of the skeletons, and both sets of ribs were destroyed as it passed through.

“Ooh-hahaha! You bastards are like sheets of paper!”

Kim-gyushik must have gained confidence after destroying skeleton with a single strike. After bellowing loudly, he jumped into the midst of the skeletons and he swung his mace like a windmill. Kim-gyushik was solely focused on the skeletons, so he didn’t pay attention to his surrounding. He randomly swung his mace and Shin-soyool, who was fighting with him, had to dodge the blind mace more so than the skeletons. If he was hit even once by mistake then his bones would surely break.

Kim-gyushik showed tremendous strength. It seemed like he had detonated something he had suppressed. There were a lot of powdered bone in the location where his mace had trampled over. The heavy mace deflected all of the skeleton’s toothless weapons. One could almost feel sorry for the skeletons when seeing the sight of skulls being smashed.

Still, the skeletons wasn’t totally helpless.

-Shaaaaaaah!

The eerie sound marked the beginning of the 2nd wave coming forth.

“Fourteen, fifteen… There are over 20 of them.”

Kim-jungin tried to make out the surging dark wave from across the room, and his complexion worsened. On the other hand, Kim-gyushik pounded his chest, and he twirled his mace.

“Whatever! Let them come! I’ll make them into flour!”

“…that’s fine and all, but could you not crush me?”

Her mouth complained, but she shook the powdered bone off of her knife. Unlike the beginning, Shin-soyool’s movement was imbued with confidence.

Since the front line held sturdily, the other party members were able to escape from their panic, and they started doing the work they were assigned. Yoon-hweeji, Che-nayun, and Ha-taegyong raised their wands, and they readied to assist the front line. Ahn-haemi loaded an arrow, and she readied herself for an unexpected situation. Lee-junghwan unvaryingly guarded the rear. Also, Noguduk and Hwang-gijung moved the unconscious Park-junghwan towards the entrance.

“Jeez! My back… Why is this guy so heavy?”

Park-junghwan had a large body, but his body was also limp like wet cotton. Even the combined strength of two people had a hard time moving him.

“Thank you. I appreciate it.”

“You don’t have to thank me… It’s something I should do. Any ways, the skeletons are alive and moving. I’ve seen many things in my life, but that has to be the first. For goodness sake….”

“I’ve heard the monsters appearing in the draft isn’t supposed to be at a difficult level. They are considered to be weak.”

Hwang-gijung had given an initial impression of being temperamental and obstinate; however, he maintained a respectful attitude. Noguduk liked the youth who was respectful towards an elder, so he asked few question he was curious about from before. Hwang-gijung didn’t have much to do in the battle, so he willingly answered the questions.

“If we destroy all the monsters here then the thing called the Draft will end?”

“Probably. They said there are other forms of tests, but most of it is conquering all the monsters.”

“Uh. So what are those small sticks the three of them are holding?”

“It is a wand. If you have abilities related to magic or the supernatural, it rarely manifests in the early stages. If you compare them to fighters, who contribute from the beginning, they are relatively at a disadvantage in the draft. The wand is a tool that helps narrow that gap. If one has the skill and mental fortitude, one could use the magic charged inside the wand. My wand could use Shock Wave.”

“Oh oh…. It’s something like a trump card.”

Noguduk finally understood what Yoon-hweeji was talking about when she said ‘temporary power’. He also understood why the people, who had wands, were placed in the back. The wand users couldn’t immediately be used in a battle, but they were a trump card that could turn the tide of battle with a single blow.

Hwang-gijung scratched his head with a forced expression.

“Truthfully, I feel sorry towards the front group. We call ourselves the trump card, but we aren’t much help in this kind of battle. I’ve even brought another weapon, but Mr. Ha-taegyon said we should conserve magic as much as we can… I guess it would be more disastrous if I unnecessarily went forth and got hurt.”

“Well, I guess that make sense.”

-Shaaaaaaaah…..

“…again? These bastards are coming continuously.”

“…no. I don’t think the sound is coming from that side.”

Both of them turned their heads at the same time, and they looked below towards the stairs leading to the 1st floor. Shin-soyool had taken the lamp, so there weren’t any lamps illuminating the rear. They couldn’t see past the dark stairway. However, the skeleton’s distinct footstep was heard clearly enough to make them shiver. Noguduk’s adam’s apple moved as he swallowed, and he unconsciously took a step back.

“What’s happening? There shouldn’t be anything on the 1st floor?”

“I have no idea. First, Mr. Park-junghwan….”

-Shahhhhhk!

0