Chapter 9
56 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At that moment, Noguduk raised his hand with an obstinate face.

“Look here. It’s all good. Everything is fine, but why am I here? Please explain this to me. I have no idea why I was dragged here. I’ve heard that you brought all these kids here, so shouldn’t you know why I’m here? I want to return to the place I used to live. I only want to go through these life and death experience once.”

“Uncle…”

As if she hadn’t expected Noguduk’s sudden outburst, Shin-soyool’s large clear eyes were filled with misery. She looked like a doe, who was abandoned by her mother, and his heart shook a bit. However, he instantly righted his mind, and he firmed his heart.

“I’m sorry. It isn’t like I don’t like you guys, but look at me. You guys are in the prime of your life, so you can fly around. However, I’m about to be 50 years old soon. Could my body survive here? I almost died not too long ago. If I return, I have a job and I can live a peaceful life. How can I give all of that up? I, I can’t….”

It was only for a brief amount of time, but they had shared both joy and sorrow. He felt like he was forsaking them, so he couldn’t finish the sentence. However, unlike his inner thoughts, the others made an expression of understanding. Kim-kyushik, who was close by, let out a hearty heart and he pounded Noguduk’s shoulder.

“Hahaha. We all understand, uncle. Even I would do the same.”

“Yes, thank you.”

He seemed to be a delinquent when they first met, but his true character seemed ok. He was just a bit simple. Yoon-hweeji, Hwang-gijoin, and Ahn-haemi also said similar words.

“…it can’t be helped. Uncle didn’t come here by your own choice.”

Shin-soyool kept sighing as if there a lot left to be desired. This Miss had already gone through several hardships with him, and she must have formed an attachment to Noguduk. She had a hard time letting go of the hands she was grasping. Maybe the life debt she had incurred towards Noguduk had a big influence on her.

He started getting ready to depart, and he said his goodbyes. However, he heard a sound that made him taste vinegar.(TLN: turned it sour)

“Aren’t you drinking too much kimchi-soup beforehand?(TLN: the soup is the by-product of making the kimchi. Usually, you drink the soup after you eat the cabbage. Basically he is saying Noguduk skipped a step. He bypassed the main content and went straight to the conclusion) It hasn’t been verified that you could return. From what I know, once you come over to this world, you cannot go back.”

This spiteful voice came from Ha-taegyong. Afterwards, Yoon-hweenji carefully spoke with a bit of an awkward expression.

“I’m sorry to say this, but it’s impossible to return.”

Thud! His heart sank, and Noguduk glared toward Durian.

“I can’t go back! What is this bullshit! Why did you bring me here!”

“I have no idea. This is the first time I’ve experienced such an event. The only thing I can say is you can’t return. Empowering. That is to say, if you received a distinct journal number than it means you are fixed to Square.”

“Then what about you?”

He was offended by this useless man getting angry at him. Durian licked his lips, and he thought hard on whether he should keep or throw away Noguduk. The contents of Noguduk’s journal was well known to him. He had no talent or attribute. He was trash. Normally, even if one died, one wouldn’t be able to come here. However, this situation was a special case.

Durian came to a decision. He decided to be a little bit more generous.

“Why are you asking the obvious? Scouters do not have serial numbers, so it is possible.  Only the Hunters can receive a serial number, when they are introduced into the record system. Even if you weren’t Empowered, anyone who isn’t a Scouter can’t travel between dimensions. It isn’t something I can change even as a Scouter. Maybe, the Committee might be able to.”

“Committee?”

“They are nobles with very high stations. Even if you want to meet them, you aren’t able to. If somehow you are able to meet them, they wouldn’t waste massive amout of resource for just one person…. Well, are you worth that much? Of course not. Look here, Noguduk. Put your head on straight. You are old enough to know this. No matter how much you complain about the injustice, the higher ups don’t care. I sympathize with your situation, but I can’t do anything about it.”

“Ooooook…. Ggoooooo….” (TLN: ughhhhhhh)

Noguduk sat limply on the floor. He had no words, so he moaned in frustration. Maybe he understood Durian’s words in its entirety or he didn’t have the strength to talk any more. Isn’t the world run the same way no matter where he went?

He had lost his footing and his old body was thrown into the wild. What words could console him? The surrounding party members had faces filled with compassion, but they couldn’t rashly step forward. They knew of no words that could console Noguduk’s feelings.

“Uncle……”

Shin-soyool, who was acquainted with him, tried to carefully open her mouth, but she couldn’t immediately think of what to say. She opened and closed her mouth several times before she firmly shut her mouth.

“I’m fine. I’m fine….”

As if her feelings had been conveyed, Noguduk stood up as he waved one hand. One couldn’t tell if it was sadness or anger, but his eyes were red as if he had cried his eyes out. As if he couldn’t see what was in front of him, he blinked his eyes several times, and he spoke as if he wasn’t affected.

“That’s right. It can’t be helped. I’ll try to meet those people from the Committee, and the only thing I can do is to hold on to their pant legs. I’m sorry for wasting your time. Please continue what you were about to do.”

“Hmm. I wish you good luck.”

Durian tilted his head as if he was a bit surprised, and he gave a half-hearted words of blessing.

“Then let us continue. Where was I? Ah, one can change one’s ability or choose a different race. Yes. Truthfully, this system was made for the hunters who weren’t nominated after the Draft, because of their lack of talent. Just think of it as a mechanism to improve one’s aptitude as a hunter. ”

“You all know how to look at your journal? The ability swap is limited to the Common level skills. For example, there is a hunter with talent in both swordsmanship and spearmanship. If he is going to use only a single weapon, then the person doesn’t need two talents. In this case, if one chooses swordsmanship then one could switch the spearsmanship to strength or agility talent. This is your only chance. The talent that can be swapped is listed on the Catalog, so it is a good idea to look over it.”

In fact, several people were already busy looking through the Catalog.

“The race selection is a double edged sword. The attribute, talent, etc. recorded in your journal can be mixed to form a specific race existing on Square. You won’t become anything other than a humanoid, so you don’t have to worry about that. Just think of it as an artificial body.”

Yoon-hweeji raised her hand.
“What do you mean by being able to maintain our human form, while we switch our race? If it is artificial then is it like coating a membrane over one’s body?”

“Haha. The common sense from the modern times is still leftover in you. Membrane over the entire body? We don’t do such uncivilized act. We do it without even using a scalpel, so you have nothing to worry about. It is the same concept as how you guys travelled between dimensions. The body will be broken down into its base particles and it will reform. Except, the reconstruction will differ a little bit. So the first question …”

“Square has a lot of race that is similar to humans. We all live together, while getting along or quarreling. Just think of it as different ethnicity. It is like being yellow, white or black people.(TLN: its a literal translation. If you have a problem with it let me know. I can change it.) Excluding several races, they can also procreate with each other. Therefore, there are a lot of mixed bloods. You have to be cautious in the fact that once you select your race you cannot change it again. Even if you pick a race from the Catalog, it would be impossible for you to change into it if the system deems it impossible. For example, Kim-gyushik can’t change into an elf. They are a slim race.”

At that moment, Shinsoyool was looking at the elf race’s appearance from the Catalog. She burst out laughing as if she had thought of something.

“Puhuuuuuu….. Puhoot!” (TLN: laughter)

“What, what is it? What’s so funny?”

“No. It’s nothing. I imagined big brother Gyushik as an elf, and it was too funny…. Pu-hoo-hup!”

Eventually, several others were able to see the Elf listed on the Catalog. They all grabbed their stomachs and laughed. It was difficult for Kim-gyushik to get mad at her, so he let out a small cough. Then he started to flip through the innocent Catalog in agitation.

“Well, the explanation is over. Has anyone decided if you will go through the Race selection or Talent Exchange?”

“Me.”

“I want to select a different race.”

Before Durian could finish his words, two people raised their hand. Ahn-haemi and Hwang-gijong blankly looked at each other, and they made an awkward expression. Hwang-gijong quietly put down the hand he raised, and he nodded for Ahn-haemi to go first.

“Thank you.”

Ahn-haemi bowed her head slightly as she replied. Durian, who was looking on with an amused expression, spoke.

“I want to do both. I want to change my talent and select a race. The talent…” (TLN: his explanation made it sound like one had to choose either race selection or talent swap. I guess you can choose to do both.)

“Ah ah. I’ll hear that later. This isn’t something we should speak in public. Just tell me the race you want.”

If it wasn’t for Durian, she might have told everyone her info. Ahn-haemi felt relieved as she reproached herself.

“I want to change into a Dark elf.”

“Let me see. Your aptitude is great. That’s good. However, as a Dark elf, you will receive penalties related to items with ties to Spirits and strength. Instead….”

“I will be able to see clearly in the night, and my body movement will be more swift. I’ll also receive an additional adjustments inside forests. I’ve read the description from the Catalog. I also understand the fact that it is a double edged sword. Please make me a Dark elf.”

Ahn-haemi wasn’t going to go back on her decision, so she spoke clearly and closed her eyes. She wasn’t able to have a big impact on this draft. It might have been a case where she was unlucky. It was difficult to see in the Bone Tower, and it was the worst environment for an archer. From this perspective, Ahn-ahemi’s choice was logical. One of the special attribute of the Dark Elf race was Night Vision. It was a way to overcome the limitation she had experienced in the test.

“Hmm. I hope you are ready. Then how about you?”

“I want to become a Wood elf.”

Hwang-gijong chose the Wood elf race, and it was a race that specialized in the magic of the forest. He had some aptitude towards magic, but he wasn’t exceptional at it. He had placed last in this draft. He had been exhausted after using only a single charged incantation. If he compared his talent to Yoon-hweeji or Che-nayun, it would be embarrassing.

Therefore, he decided on a specialization. Wood elfs had a lot of shortcomings, but the race’s best atrributes were well defined. Hwang-gijong thought he could remedy his shortcomings with the Forest magic, which received a race adjustment. He liked that the Wood elves had a lot of incantations related to life and healing.

“Wood elf. I guess you compatibility isn’t too bad. It is possible. Who’s next?”

Afterwards, no one raised their hand. Even Hwang-gijong and Ahn-haemi, who chose to change race, looked at each with mixed emotion. They didn’t regret their decision, but in the end, they will shed their human form. Durian said they need not worry, but the actual person directly involved had differing feelings.

“I guess there aren’t anyone else. Then please stay here and rest. Currently, there are numerous clubs looking over your grades, and they are punching their calculators.”

“Wait! I! I want to do it. I want to do the race selection.”

It was Noguduk. Durian was about to leave his seat. His eyebrows twitched before he moved his half turned body back into its original position.

“Speak. I say this by way of caution, you won’t be able to choose the Elf race.”

“Orc. I want to be an orc, so please change me.”

Orc? Durian couldn’t believe what he had just heard, so he asked again.

“What did you say?”

“Ah, I want to choose the Orc race.”

It wasn’t only Durian, who couldn’t believe Noguduk’s explosive statement. The other people crowed around the Catalog to look for the Orc race and they swallowed a feigned laugh.

“Ehhhk? Uncle! What are you saying! Do you know what orcs are?”

“Of course. I decided after looking at the Catalog. Do you think I didn’t look at it?”

“It’s entirely a monster. A monster! Didn’t you watch the Lord of the Rings? Their faces are completely smashed. Can you really live your entire life looking like that?”

The sound of the shouts were very loud.

“What are you talking about, little girl? I’ve also seen the movie. Do you think I’m crazy? I don’t want to live looking like that. Look at the Catalog. It is different here. This isn’t a movie.”

Noguduk pushed the Catalog towards Shin-soyool. She saw it, but she still said the same thing.

“It’s still weird. Their fangs are too elongated and the skin color is green. They look scary.”

“Read the description very carefully. If their fangs are protruding like that all the time then wouldn’t it be difficult for them to live with it? It says they can control the length, and it depends on their emotional state. They look very manly and dependable to me. Am I in a situation where I can complain about being handsome or not? First, I have to survive, so I can go meet the Committee.”

“….I guess so.”

Everyone in the party knew that Noguduk didn’t have any Talent or Attribute. It could be argued that there wasn’t anyone here who was in more of a desperate situation. Moreover, it was a decision he came up with after thinking about it for a long time. Shin-soyool hadn’t thought about his situation from his perspective. She had butted in needlessly, and she was sorry. However, she had to tell him one thing.

Noguduk hadn’t still realized what she was thinking, so he was still trying hard to justify his choice of becoming an orc.

“Here here. I know orcs don’t look too good, but it isn’t that bad of a choice. Orcs are vulnerable to mental attacks, but their skin is tough and resilient. Also, they are fundamentally inclined toward physical strength.”

“Uncle.”

“Also…. Huh?”

“I respect uncle’s choice. However, you can’t turn back once you make the selection. Are you going to return to your home looking like that?”

“……”

She hit the nail on the head. Noguduk, who was busily explaining, stopped speaking, and his stern eyes rolled back and forth. He looked between the drawn figure of an orc inside the Catalog and Shin-soyool’s resolute face. He was in midst of a severe inner conflict.

He was wondering if he should increase his survival rate by becoming an orc or live as a human, which had a higher chance of dying. He agonized over the decision for a short time.

“It’ll work out somehow. It is important for me to stay alive right now. I’ll even wear this outer appearance.”

“Sigh…. Do as you please.”

He was already upset yet Shin-soyool was letting out a deep sigh. He hated her at that moment.  Moreover, she even started to shake her head. Noguduk, who was already frustrated, couldn’t hold back, and he lashed out in anger.

“Look here you little girl! Are you my wife! I’m asking you if you are my wife? Why are you nagging at me from my side!”

She was surprised at the thunder-like roar. Shin-soyool was dazed for a moment before her face started to tear up. She looked like she was in an emotional state where a slight nudge could set off her tears.

As if Noguduk was sorry for his outburst, he turned his head, while he cleared his throat. As the situation devolved, the others were having fun viewing the situation, but they also became embarrassed. Eventually, Yoon-hweeji couldn’t win against the silent pressure(TLN: the others were pressuring her to say something), so she stepped forward as if she had been pushed.

“Soyool spoke, while thinking about Mr. Noguduk, so why are you getting angry at her?”

“Kuh-hmm, Kuh-hhhhhmmmm. That is….” (TLN: he cleared his throat twice.)

Noguduk couldn’t come up with an excuse, so his words trailed off. How did he get into a verbal fight with a girl, who is of similar age as his daughter? He thought he was pathetic.

“It’s ok, big sister.”

“Soyool, you should…. Huh?”

Yoon-hweeji, who was consoling Shin-soyool, flinched back at her sharp voice. Shin-soyool had escaped from Yoon-hweeji’s arms, and she opened were eyes wide, which still held some tears. She glared at Noguduk, who was trying hard to avoid her gaze.

“Uncle.”

“I, I… I’m sorry. However, you were also in the wrong…”

“Don’t call me a little girl.” (TLN: 계집애 = can be a rude term for a young girl or little girl.)

“…ok. I understand.”

“Don’t you ever swear at me.”

“O, okay.”

He retreated with his tails between his legs. Shin-soyool, who glared at him like a wild cat, walked out of the hall. When the sounds of her steps couldn’t be heard, he was able to straighten his back out of a slouch. The he mumbled towards his companions, who were giving him a strange look.

“What am I doing with someone, who is of my daughter’s age?  Jeez.”

“Soyool is too kind hearted. Maybe she thought of Mr. Noguduk as a father figure, and she wanted to lean against you.”

“Once we get designated, we’ll all go our own way so why….”

He replied back in a blunt manner, but Noguduk didn’t show signs of being angry.

‘I guess everyone has their own story. If they led a normal life and living well, then why would they come to this place? Also, why did this woman come here?’ (TLN: he is wondering why a successful actress is willing to come to a dangerous world)

For a moment, he thought of a question pertaining to Yoon-hweeji. However, it wasn’t the time to be concerned about such things.
“…since it’s like that, please make me an orc.”

“If you took a little bit more time then I was about leave. Any ways, your request have been accepted. Your aptitude is fine. Well, since we’ve completed what was needed to be done, let us rest. The list of your offers will probably come in tomorrow. Nevertheless, you guys joined the draft at the same time, so if there are any unsaid words, you better say it today.”

Durian spoke these meaningful words before he shut the door.

“You might not be able to see each other tomorrow.”

0