Chapter 8: Storyteller
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the bright, silvery morning chime sounded, Ka woke with a groan. He stretched and sat up slowly, hindered by sore muscles. Rather longingly, he found himself looking out further into the room. There were several plush floor cushions lying about the prince's room, all well out of Ka's limited reach. With a sigh, the scribe's gaze fell back to the floor at his side. The thin blanket was there, folded to be a pillow again overnight. Ka lifted the finely woven blue cloth to adjust it into a padded seat. Better than the hard stone, at least. The prince had probably given it to him as if it were nothing, Ka thought. He was embarrassed how much he appreciated it.

He yawned, waking slowly, and turned his attention to his food. The usual bowls of meat and water sat before him and Ka let out a soft growl. He then jumped as Re's gentle laughter floated over to him. Ka looked up to find the redhead was watching him from his seat. Ka refocused on his food with a frown, cheeks flushed. He was once more aware of the royal's presence; he could practically feel his gaze like a physical touch. He did his best to ignore it as he ate, but all too soon the prince drew his attention again.

The royal let out a contented sigh and then asked, “Is there something wrong, pet?”

Ka pursed his lips and shook his head slightly in the negative.

Re laughed again, turning back to his food for a moment. “Does that mean you are content with only that?”

Ka's expression pulled into a frown. Re wanted him to ask, he thought, but it was still difficult to submit so readily. Slowly he bowed his head again to mutter, “This is not enough for the whole day.” He sighed before he added. “I appreciate the extra, Master.”

The prince smiled triumphantly and walked over with the plate of left-overs. He knelt to set it down and reached for his pet. He caught the brunet's chin and raised his eyes to smile at him. “I won't let you go hungry, Ka.” The scribe blinked slightly, stunned, and the blush returned. Re smiled at the sight. Then the redhead released him and stood again. “Tell me a story,” he said as he moved to dress for the day.

Ka had grabbed another bite of meat, but he paused, looking to the other man again. “A story?” he asked warily.

Re was at his mirror, adjusting the fine green tunic he'd chosen for the day. He glanced back, but then returned to getting ready as he answered. “You said that you knew some by heart. Tell one of them to me.” The prince's tone wasn't exactly demanding, but it was clearly an order. Suddenly he turned again, eyes wide as a thought occurred. “Do you know any poems?”

Ka's eyebrows rose. The prince's earlier reaction to the mention of poetry did not make Ka eager to recite any. “I do know some,” he admitted.

Just as he feared, Re only brightened more. “Then tell me a poem!” he said and turned back to the mirror, attaching jewels onto his wrists and neck.

Ka took a deep breath and let it out slowly. He had some of the prince's food while he thought, then finally nodded. “All right, yes. I know a short ballad about the former king.” That seemed respectful, given his position, and it wasn't terribly long. A dozen verses or so, with an almost musical cadence the made everything easy to remember and easy to say.

By the time he'd finished, Re was fully adorned in his jewels, hair pulled back with shining jade combs. He had moved back to the bed, arm's length from the scribe. He reached out to pet back brown hair as Ka finished speaking. “Lovely. An excellent choice, I remember hearing that when I was a child.” His pet continued to impress him.

“Thank you,” Ka muttered, but he was focused on his meal again.

Prince Re didn't step away, petting back the brunet's hair a few more times. Ka sighed as he ate, trying to accept the casual touch without complaint. After a few moments of this, Prince Re asked, “And what are your plans for the day?”

Ka frowned and glared slightly as he looked up. “Plans?”

The prince shrugged and began to turn away. “If you are content then . . .”

Ka's eyes widened with sudden panic, realizing what the prince wanted him to ask for this time. “No- ah, Master please. Um,” the prince turned back to watch him, but Ka couldn't think of anything to ask for besides something to read. “Is it possible I could have a book or, uh . . .” anything really to give him something to do.

Re nodded, lips turned up in a smirk. “I will bring you something to read.” His smile grew and he leaned down, fingers closing on his pet's chin again. “And how do you intend to thank me, pet?”

Ka couldn't help but cringe. He knew what the prince wanted, he had said as much the previous night, but Ka wasn't willing to give himself freely. “I have nothing to offer,” he said quietly. His eyes were still cast down, his pulse fast. The prince had also said he wouldn't take anything by force, but Ka wasn't sure he trusted that.

Slowly Prince Re shifted his grip. He slid his hand up, cupping Ka's cheek instead. “There are many things I can think of,” he murmured and leaned towards the scribe. Ka tensed slightly, but Re's lips only pressed lightly against his other cheek. Then he was pulling away and stood straight once more. “I will still bring you something this time. While I am away, you should try and think of some proper form of thanks.”

Re turned and walked to the door without a backwards glance and then the prince was gone. Ka glared at the once more shut door. That was almost exactly what he'd expected. Anything he asked for would come at a price and he was expected to think of what 'thanks' to give? With a heavy sigh, Ka wondered what would happen if he did nothing, but the answer was also likely 'nothing'. He just wouldn't be allowed his distraction, perhaps even taunted with it. Ka let out another sigh and began to think what he was willing to trade to end his boredom. It was difficult to say how much value a kiss held.

Before long Ka heard noise in the hall again. It seemed far too quick for the prince to return, he thought. He'd hardly registered the quick, angry slap of sandals on the stone before the door was shoved open again. It was indeed Prince Re, scowling and grumbling angrily to himself. That anger seemed focused on Ka and the scribe shrank back as the prince crossed the room. Re knelt and reached for him, but Ka flinched back nervously, anticipating some punishment. Re paused and pursed his lips, visibly struggling to relax. “Calm down,” he said and Ka wasn't sure which of them he was speaking to.

He reached again and Ka held still as the heavier chain was released from his collar. “Where are we going?” he asked warily.

The prince scowled, anger flaring again. “The king has my flute girl again,” he spat as he stood. “So I'm going to bring you along instead.”

“Me?!” Ka yelped. “What-”

The prince cut him off with a glare. “Don't argue with me! Come on, get up.”

Ka kept frowning, but he stood, not looking away from the redhead. He received an approving nod and Re took hold of the chain between his wrists to lead him along. Ka stayed close so he could keep his arms low across his abdomen. As they stepped out into the hall, he tried again to get some information. “Where are we going?”

“I have a few things to do today,” was the answer.

Ka only frowned more. “What am I supposed to do exactly? Am I just decoration?”

“No, of course not,” the prince snapped, still annoyed. “I want you to tell me another story. Something longer this time.”

For a minute, Ka simply gaped at him. Prince Re didn't look at him, continuing his casual pace through the halls, relaxed but with direction. Leading the way to whatever tasks he had lined up for the day. Ka shook his head slightly, unseen as he trailed behind the other. “I am not a storyteller,” he finally protested.

“But you said you knew some,” Prince Re insisted, “so tell me another one.”

Ka sighed and fell silent, thinking. He ducked his head, frowning when his hair fell forward into his eyes. He lifted his hands on instinct, but Re didn't allow the move, keeping his grip firm. Ka turned his face up instead to solve the problem and slowly began to speak. “I don't know many stories by heart. Only a few of my favorite myths, about the Sun God, the very first ruler of this land.” Ka proceeded to tell the stories he knew, starting at the beginning of their land. The prince hardly seemed to even listen, but continued to lead him through the palace halls.

The creation myth wasn't especially long, but it led nicely into another, so Ka just continued. He was struggling to remember the order of battles when Prince Re suddenly stopped him. The prince snapped his fingers, just in front of Ka's nose, and the scribe let out a startled yelp as he froze. The prince was laughing at him again. The redhead pulled his hand back slightly and then held it up open, still in front of Ka's face. “This means 'stop'. Don't get so caught up in your tales that you stop paying attention to me.”

“I'm not a storyteller,” Ka protested again. “It takes concentration to remember the sequences.”

Re laughed again, his tone mocking. “You said you knew them by heart!”

“The stories, yes,” Ka answered shortly, glaring at the other now. “The specifics and the beautiful phrases are more difficult to recall.”

“Whatever,” Re said dismissively. He turned away, still holding the chain between Ka's wrists. “Tell me what you think of the dancers.” The prince nodded in front of them, indicating a large lounge space that was littered with plush cushions and small tables. At the moment the space was filled with dancers, practicing for the upcoming banquet.

For a moment, Ka struggled to focus on the twirling forms and colorful silks. They were far too distant for him to make out any detail and as he watched, the colors seemed to swirl and blend into one another. It made his head hurt and he pulled his hands back to rub it. Re glanced back at him though, sharply tugging his hands back to their position again. Ka groaned slightly and just shut his eyes instead. He answered vaguely, “They are wonderful. Palace dancers are unmatched in skill.”

Prince Re made an unhappy noise, clearly unsatisfied. He did not ask any more of his pet, but continued to watch the dancers himself. These lovely women and men would be entertaining the visiting traders and nobles in the next several days. They would move through the gatherings, enhancing the actual performers, helping the servers, and just generally maintaining a pleasant atmosphere. They all moved together for short synchronized pieces, but then filled the empty time with flowing and languid movements of their own until they next came together. As he watched them, Re could not see any falter or mistake.

His pet was right, these entertainers were the best in the kingdom. Yet Re could not help but worry; this was another of his responsibilities. Any mistake they did make would reflect directly on him. One of the more experienced of the women walked toward the prince, never stopping her graceful movements. “Everything is going well, my lord. Is there anything we can do for you?”

The prince watched another moment before he nodded to the woman. “Everything looks good. Add an extra practice tonight.”

The woman was close to them now, close enough that Ka could see her blink, mouth opening a couple of times in silent surprise. Ka was impressed that her calm but skilled dancing still did not falter. The woman bowed and only answered, “Of course, my lord.”

Ka frowned, at the woman as she retreated and then darkly up at the prince. If everything 'looks good' why demand an extra practice? That kind of stress was more likely to bring about a mistake than perfect a routine. “What is so important? What are they practicing for?”

Re finally looked away from the dancers. He glanced at Ka and then turned, leading him away again. “Just a stupid banquet,” the prince answered tersely.

Ka frowned even more darkly. He was more annoyed that 'just' anything was worth stressing these people over. But as the prince stalked off he had no choice but to follow, leaving the practice behind them. They continued in silence for a little while and soon the prince was greeted by a strong male voice.

“Just on time, Prince Re.” The man that spoke was dressed like a general, standing in the hall just ahead of them. He wore the red and tan uniform of the kingdom, beneath a polished breastplate. He bowed and held an arm out to usher the prince into another room.

Prince Re let out a sigh, but obligingly stepped into this new space. He moved to take his seat in a finely carved, high backed chair as if it were a chore. “Sit,” he muttered to Ka.

The scribe glared again and demanded, “Here?”

“Sit!” the prince hissed at him and Ka reluctantly settled onto the floor at his side.

Slowly the scribe looked around the room he found himself in. Despite the prince being 'on time', the room was already filled with guards and military men fidgeting impatiently. Many of them eyed Ka and he shrank down as the attention made him nervous. The general was clearly the top ranking man and in charge of this meeting. As he began to speak, Ka wondered if he was truly supposed to just sit there. It certainly seemed that way as the man spoke to Re directly, reporting and requesting the prince's input.

With no other distraction, Ka found himself listening to the general as he went over recent troop movements. Actually, Ka thought after only a few moments, the general appeared to be lecturing. He was going over events that had already taken place, asking for the prince's advice on movements that were already carried out. When the prince – very reluctantly – gave his advice, the general nodded and commended his strategy before going into rather great detail why such a strategy would likely fail. He continued by explaining what they actually did and why it was the superior option, Prince Re barely paying him any attention at all.

Ka let out huff, utterly bewildered. He was in a school lesson! This was a class for Prince Re, teaching him how to lead an army, the duties of the king. Duties he obviously held in utter disdain and honestly did not seemed competent in. Despite the obvious competence of his teacher: the general was skilled and patient and he was able to explain the reasoning behind his choices. Ka found himself drawn into the lesson, wishing he could see the maps more clearly.

The lesson went on for quite some time before Prince Re sighed and announced, “I'm getting rather hungry.”

“Then we shall continue this next time,” the general said smoothly and bowed. As prince Re stood and stretched, the older man leaned closer. “Is this . . .” he trailed off, vaguely indicating Ka.

The prince regained some of his energy and smirked. “My pet.” Ka wasn't sure why his position seemed to bring the prince so much pride. It just made him feel . . . less.

“I like him, very good choice of companion.” The general said. Ka frowned at the supposed compliment, sensing something more. Re seemed pleased though and nodded as he began to leave. As the prince turned away, Ka could see the general's smile fade away and he muttered, “Quieter than the flute.”

Prince Re didn't seem to hear him, grabbing Ka's chains again, giving him no choice but to follow. As they left the room, Ka kept up with the redhead and asked, “Did you have your musician play during these meetings?”

Re slumped dramatically, rolling his eyes. “Only when they became too boring to bear.” So, pretty much all the time, Ka guessed. Then the prince looked back at him again. “Speaking of, you were telling me a story. Do continue.”

“Oh, right.” Ka frowned and tried to think, muttering to himself, “Where did I leave off.”

“You were telling the battle of the Sun God and the Mountain. Go back to the start of their fight.”

Ka was quiet for another moment, rather stunned. He would have bet money the prince hadn't actually heard a word he'd uttered. As the surprise faded he nodded, beginning the story at the appropriately exciting battle.

There were advantages to the prince dragging him around, Ka thought as he realized he was being led to the kitchens again. He remembered the courtyard, imagining it in the sunlight. Had there been a fountain? He couldn't recall, but it would look amazing in the sun. Ka thought he recognized the hall they were in as leading to the open area, but then suddenly Re turned the other way and Ka was tugged down a different hallway of marble and stone. As the prince settled on a cushion in a sitting space, Ka mourned the lost chance to see the sun, but he consoled himself that he was allowed to enjoy the cushions as well.

Food was brought for the prince on small tables. Nothing was prepared for Ka, but Prince Re gestured to the food. “You may have what you like. Do not stop your tale though,” he commanded with a warning tone.

That seemed reasonable enough, Ka thought, and continued with the myths he new. An actual storyteller would be able to juggle speaking and eating with more grace, but Ka managed it well enough. He had enough to satisfy, once again savoring the perfect royal food. The prince lingered, even once the food was gone. At some point his gaze had settled on his pet. When Ka noticed, his words hesitated before he continued and looked away again.

Prince Re didn't look away, admiring the man as he spoke. He was starting to look more healthy, though still far too thin. His skin was smooth and unmarred, excepting the ugly and ragged line across his stomach. That and the strange patchy scarring around his eyes seemed to be the man's only faults. His thin frame was obviously well cared for and strong, though that physique was similarly faded. The prince could still see the remnants of strength and training and it made his quiet pet even more attractive. Re found himself reaching for the scribe again and Ka jumped and fell silent as Re caught his chin in his grip once more. For a long moment, the prince just continued to admire him, smiling at the uncertainty in those pale eyes. Finally he said, “I think you will make a good storyteller.”

Ka blinked a few times and his brow furled in a frown. “Am I going to be doing this regularly, then?”

“At least some of the time, I think,” Re said slowly. “It means a steady supply of reading material. As long as you learn new stories to tell me.” He leaned closer, tilting Ka's head up a bit more. “Unless you have thought of some other repayment for my kindness.”

Almost against his will, Ka focused on the prince's mouth. He swallowed thickly, suddenly nervous. He shook his head slightly, still not willing to offer himself in that way. Even just a kiss.

Re's lips turned down in a frown. He let out a huff and leaned back. “Then I guess you are going to become a storyteller, pet, and will no longer be able to argue that you are not one.” He pulled his hand away, sighing again, somewhat disappointed.

Ka bowed his head as soon as he was allowed, frowning himself. But being a storyteller wasn't that bad, even if he was still a 'pet'. “I will try not to disappoint you,” he said and bowed further in his seat. The prince cleared his throat and Ka's frown darkened a bit more. “Sorry. Master.”

“Stop forgetting,” the redhead said with a slight growl. He climbed to his feet and gathered Ka's chains again, pulling his pet up as well. “Come,” he said as he began an unhurried pace. “There is more I must do.”

Ka nodded, staying close to the redhead as they walked. After a few moments he licked his lips, then continued the tale of the Sun God's victorious battles.

0