002 First Night
109 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I walked to the town and I was able to convince the town guards at entrance that I got mugged during my travel. I must be very convincing with only a hospital gown on. The guards looked at me with pity and I even caught some whispers among the guards

"must have been difficult to...resort to such measure to escape. This young man must have suffered some serious trauma..."

They advised me to visit the local church to obtain some donated clothing and to stay for tonight. There is an adventurer's guild in town that I can visit in the morning for information and work. 

I am quite happy to have a solution for all my pressing needs. It is only when I am inside the town then I realized how ridiculous I must have looked to the guards. The few town folks that are still on the streets are gawping at me as I walk by. Perhaps a light gown with a slit at back is a very provoking dress code. Though I don't see very conservative dress code by the town folks...perhaps the hospital gown resemble something else locally?

I knock on the church door and a priest greets me. He wears a black robe with a white collar - very much like a cassock worn by catholic priests. He has grey hair with white trims on both side. Through the dim lighting, he looks relaxed with a faint smile. From what I remember of common etiquette, I put my one hand on my chest and a light bow:

"Pardon Father, I am a new traveler facing misfortune. I seek shelter and clothing for tonight."

The priest looks at me curiously. Maybe it is my clothing...or the way I greet? I am pretty sure bowing with a hand on chest is a common style of greeting in medieval times... sourced from movies of course.

"Church of goddess Gaia do not hold such formalities. Come inside. You can address me as Priest Abbot"

Priest Abbot provides me a set of heavy robes - washed clean but with visible wear. A bed roll that seems to be made from straw, and a small hard pillow. I am not quite sure what the point of the pillow is. Whatever the pillow is made from, it smells like a dusty stale bread and is much harder than even the bed roll. It might even be passable as an American football. I spent some time adjusting my positions before I finally moved the pillow to a comfortable position for sleep. I promise myself tomorrow will be a fresh start as my mind drifts.

* Scan complete - safe location reached.

  • * Skill: <Forced Calmness> expired.
  • * Moderate risk detected - target is unable to recognize food. Activate emergency measure: Boost intelligence stat by 5.

I woke up quite early. I think the rock hard pillow is very effective at preventing erratic sleep movements at the expense of comfort. I grabbed a bucket of water from a well behind the church, rinse, wash hands, and splash my face. Hygiene is important. Once my morning routine is completed, I visits Priest Abbot and returns the pillow and bed rest to him. My creativity is tingling today. I provide my feedback on the pillow. I really think a rolled up straw might be a better alternative, preferably with an ergonomic design that is more aligned with the shape of neck. Different amount of straw tied separately into small bundles and then chained together would make a wonderful and durable pillow.

". . . Please feel free to return when you need counsel. I am here to listen." Priest Abbot told me in a flat tone as I take my leave for Adventurer's guild.

Priest Abbot stood still as he watches the young man leaving the church door. He murmurs words of prayer and returns to his quarters. It is about time for breakfast.  He pours himself hot milk and rips the "pillow" into small chunks. He dips the pieces in and enjoys a plain breakfast. This seems to have jolted his memory. Priest Abbot quickly makes another prayer for the poor soul that may be destined to have a premature return to Goddess' embrace.

 

 

5