013 Audience with the king
48 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 I wake up to sound of trumpets. Is there a festival going on because of the group quest? Seems like an odd time to celebrate. I toss my blanket aside and get up.

I conjure a slightly acidic cleansing fluid with alchemy, add a few twigs of mint, and let the spell do its work. A simple morning routine followed by a rinse from water stored in a basin and I am fully refreshed. Mana sure makes life convenient. I fasten my leather gear onto me and head out of my room. I enjoy a peaceful breakfast in the inn, and I overhear some gossips about a newly wed couple. So is that what the trumpets are for? A peaceful morning, I think to myself and nibbles at my breakfast.

"You there, the King summons you to his court. Please make haste." I look up and I see a man impatiently tabbing his feet beside my table. He is dressed in bright colors with heraldic pattern and holding a trumpet. 

"You got the wrong guy" I reply to him. Is this medieval equivalent of a wrong phone call?

"Are alchemist all like this? Here is the decree." He tosses a scroll at me. "The carriage is ready. If you are done, I would like to leave immediately."

I slide open the scroll - fancy parchment with royal seal. It is addressed to me. I leave a couple of silvers on the table before heading out with the messenger.

There is a carriage with the city's crest on the side, bronze fittings on connecting joints, and a red canvas covering the top. It looks like a rather simplistic carriage with bare wooden wheels. The body of the carriage is lifted from bottom frame by several leather straps. I presume they act as suspension. There is only one entrance on the side, and it is just a doorway carved out from the wood. A window is carved out in the same fashion as the door. But unlike the door, there is a sliding board inside to close the window. I hop on the carriage, and it sets off. 

I can feel the rattling of my spine as the wooden wheels of the carriage thumps across the rough road. I am sitting on a padded bench, so it offers some cushion against the vibration, but it is nowhere enough to make the ride comfortable. We arrive in the northern part of the town. A wall separates the king's keep from the rest of the town. The carriage pauses briefly before the entrance gate. A guard peeks inside, and we pass through the gate.

I jump off the carriage the moment we arrive at destination. Inside the wall, there is a stable, a couple of buildings that are probably barracks or some kind of storage room. A small ranch for animals, and a garden that seems to be for herbs. At the center of it all is the rectangular walled keep where the king resides.

The keep is about the same size as a modern house on the base, but close to 4 stories tall. The entrance is a reinforced door that seems to be for only individual entry. The stairs leading to the door is also only wide enough to fit a single person. The messenger walks to the front and sounds his trumpet. I heard some scuffling behind the door, before it swings open. The messengers enters and I follow suit. I almost bump into him when he suddenly stops and gestures me to be quiet.

I peek from behind him. It seems that there is a court in session. Some kind of contract dispute between a merchant and a peasant about the quality of the merchandise not fully meeting need. I guess the legal duties falls under the king in this world. The peasant and the merchant both present a sample of the tool in question. The king examines both samples and ask a few questions against both before passing his judgement. Neither side seems too happy with the final judgement. I guess it means the judgement is fair.

"Court is now adjourned. Scribe, please add this case to record as precedent for future references." the king announces, and he looks in my way, "we have a guest here, push the next case to be after lunch."

The scribe bows before exiting the court. The king adjusts his posture on the throne before nodding the messenger. The messenger comes forward, and greets the king with a simple bow, and introduces the king

"Domnall Redwood, King of Yellowseed, Son of Duncan Redwood, and descendant of the great hero Neil."

"John" I point to myself.

"You must be puzzled by my summon. I have noticed that you did not sign up for the group mission. Is the mission unattractive to you?" the King asks.

"I can make more each day than what is offered."

The king looks at me thoughtfully. "May I ask you to sign up for the expedition as a favor? In return, I will gift you our late court alchemist's lab. You will have full access to his research notes and his library. I will also have my daughter Roisin to escort you during the mission to ensure your safety. Roisin, please come out."

A young woman with knightly attires walks out from a doorway beside the throne. She has blond hair just like her father. She has a distinctively feminine chest plate that hugs her waist tightly with plated armor for gauntlet, pauldron, and legs. She salutes the king before facing me.

"is this acceptable to you, John?" the king asks.

"Can you explain why you are so keen on getting me in this mission? I cannot understand why you need my service specifically on a mission that is clearly oriented for combat." I ask.

"The purpose of the mission is not to escort gifts. It is to demonstrate our military strength and potential to our allies. The gifts themselves are only a courtesy. As you may have heard, we the northern states have united under High King William's lordship. What has not been announced is that the southern states have declared their High King as well."

So the situation has escalated, I think to myself. Are they going to have some kind of balance of power troupe?

The king continues, "there are several neutral states that have not joined either side. They will be observing the ceremony. It is important that we show both our military abilities and intellectual abilities to sway them to our side. I have reviewed the expedition list. Unfortunately, we do not have enough supporting classes that is joining the expedition. Having a rare intellectual class like an alchemist would greatly boost our credibility."

"We should not underestimate the natural elements. Our forces are strong, and I can easily handle most threats. However, my sword cannot neither defeat disease nor cure the injured." Roisin adds.

I shrug, "it is a good offer. I will accept only if I gain access to the lab and library immediately."

"Very well. Roisin, please guide John back to adventurer's guild to complete the required paperwork."


* A small favor from King Domnall. All damage +5% while request is active. All damage +10% upon completing request.

* buff <A small favor> - favor of King Domnall activated 

 

 

2