Chapter 4 – Unforeseen Invitation
73 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1

"A strong reading? Really?"

Kazuki nonchalantly questioned as he walked along the street with his long-haired classmate. In response, Uehara shrugged.

She had her serious expression on while her eyes darted back and forth the dark, relatively civilian-less road.

"I can't believe it either, but you heard what Ms. Sadohara said."

Kazuki wondered while gazing at the buildings that he walked past. One by one, the huge, multi-floor buildings seemed to meld into one homogenous pattern. Only the occasional bars and convenience stores gave the place much-needed variance.

Melissa Road, the residential area north of the city, was normally not the most unexpected place for a new Fragment to manifest. With a lot of people packing these residential units, sooner or later, the gate to the other world could open any time.

That would have been the case, until a month ago when the fateful battle against the Render of Bounds took place. It was an event that Kazuki felt was the real climax of Yuki-tan's concert.

With the help of the idol, the team was able to put down the strongest Nullity that they have encountered so far. Taking on a grotesque form, it was responsible for the weakening of the divide between Mu and the real world through its ability to break the barriers and freely move across realms.

Compared to other Nullities, it had a far easier time crossing over, and had they not been there to stop it, that concert's aftermath would have been more than just a logistics nightmare.

That victory had created a change between the interaction of the two words, and the power crossing over that other one had considerably weakened, or so it seemed.

"Unbelievable. And I was getting so comfortable with the lack of strong Nullities."

"It does bring back memories of the good old days adventuring with you two," peeped a third person walking with them from behind.

"A month isn't too long ago, Amagi... And you enjoy it?"

"It's just been a month? Sure doesn't feel like it," the brunette replied to Kazuki with an airy voice.

"As long as those Nullities appear, we only have the responsibility to cut them down," said Uehara, going a bit off-tangent for a reason that Kazuki only knew.

Her serious voice had stopped both classmates, and Kazuki and Amagi were left blinking at her until she broke the silence.

"Still, it does feel strange. By all means, the demise of the Render of Bounds should have partially restored the borders separating our world from Mu. I guess the damage its intrusion had done is a lot worse than we all thought. Either that or someone was pulling the strings. Could it be Guren Izaya?"

Hearing that name again, Kazuki instinctively reached to his midsection which tightened.

Mentally, receiving that blow still stung. That hit sent him straight to the hospital after Yuki-tan's concert.

He should pay that guy back.

"We're here."

Hearing Uehara's words, Kazuki realized that the three of them had reached their destination: Oracle Villa.

Greeted with an open gate and a large drop-off area, the three of them walked towards the large building that Kazuki estimated to be around thirty floors high.

"You sure it's a good idea? We're not even residents here, and I doubt they'll let us in without IDs."

"What are you talking about? Oracle Villa is more than just a residential complex," answered Uehara, pointing to some lights down the entrance hall.

Kazuki had not noticed it at first, but beside the residential lobby, there was a long hallway with lights coming from the end.

"You've been in the city shorter than I do and you already know more," applauded Kazuki. "Then again, I never even bothered going here."

"Comes with the job," confidently replied the smiling girl who took the first step in.

Down the hallway was nothing too significant for Kazuki or Amagi.

Laundry stores, thrift shops, spas, a small clinic, and a gardening store... Assorted stores lined the hallway that constituted a significant part of Oracle Villa's extension.

This would have been a livelier place hours ago, but at 7:30 p.m., only the worn-down gaming center was open. With today being an off night, as denoted by the plastered tournament schedules of games that Kazuki recognized, he did not expect a lot of people to be there even.

If anything, the surprise was more on seeing these "less glamorous" stores in one of Shiroki City's most high-end districts.

More importantly, none of the trio felt any presence of a Fragment. It was completely clean, and there was nothing that can be related to Mu at all.

With no further leads to the investigation, Kazuki and Amagi soon found themselves back in front of the building as Uehara decided to double check the place.

He had prepared himself for some potential action, but now, he was more relieved that he did not end the night diving into that crimson world.

Things were better this way.

All he and Amagi came out with tonight was knowing about the shops and establishments inside the complex.

Then, the brunette pointed at the lobby.

"Wait, isn't that..."

"What is it, Amagi?"

Kazuki had barely said anything else when he noticed the figure walking out of the residential lobby.

Carrying with her a tote bag and wearing an uncharacteristic lonely expression was the lowerclassman Akane Fujiwara. He was sure that Amagi would have called out to greet her, but there was no need for that.

It only took a few seconds for the redhead to lock eyes with the two of them.

As if a switch was flipped due to her seeing familiar faces, Fujiwara's sullen face lit up, and she smiled while racing towards them.

"Senpaaaaai!" she waved.

"What a surprise seeing you here, Fujiwara."

"I could say the same for you two," replied Fujiwara just as she ran into Amagi's waiting arms. Then, she stepped back and tilted her head. "Wait a minute, did I interrupt something? Is this a new development?!"

"N-no, it's not what you're thinking about!" denied Amagi, blushing slightly.

"That sounded like something Misawa would say," muttered Kazuki in response to Fujiwara, only to get a laugh in return. "Between your friends, you're better off picking things up from Amagi than Misawa."

"Ahaha! You don't have to worry about anything. I think everyone already knew that you are up to something regularly. Afterschool activities, as those people in school say."

She put on air quotes while winking mischievously at Kazuki and pointing at Amagi.

"That doesn't reassure me at all!"

However, Kazuki's attention turned back to the building as their third companion made her way back.

"Hi! I figured you're here, too."

"Good evening, Fujiwara," smiled Uehara. "You live here?"

The redhead shook her head. "Hehe, as much as I want to, I don't. My parents and I are staying in another area of the city. We live a few stations away from Aria Alley, as a matter of fact."

Uehara gave both Kazuki and Amagi a look while shaking her hands. Amidst her smile and chats with Fujiwara, she mouthed something at them about the investigation.

Fujiwara, oblivious to what was really going on, suddenly interrupted.

"Care for hanging out?"

"We're kinda busy right now," followed Uehara with much regret in her tone. "I'm really sorry, Fujiwara."

The redhead then propped her bag up before flashing four coupons from inside it. "Care for some sweets at Pleasure Paradise? Walking distance from here."

"Fujiwara, are you sure about this?" asked Amagi.

"Yeah! I haven't been able to do much for you, Senpai, even after you helped me so much with school. The same goes for your friends here."

"Ermm..." hesitated Amagi. She looked around for help, and as her eyes met Kazuki's, he nodded. "Yeah, sure."

"Today's the last day that I can avail of Pleasure Paradise's famous Strawberry Labyrinth. It will be at 50% off!"

Kazuki could feel the virtual tug-of-war between the two members of the swimming club. Amagi's being modest versus Fujiwara's indirect but firm stubbornness. He himself did not know what to do.

They were on an investigation and did not expect to run into Fujiwara of all people. With the investigation mostly done, it might not hurt to unwind with her and make the girls get their nice bonding time.

Plus, that 50 percent discount began to look more and more appealing, considering that he never got a chance to taste Strawberry Labyrinth before due to its price.

Kazuki himself could likewise feel the same tug-of-war that Amagi probably had within him. He did not want to turn down such an invitation, but wouldn't they be taking advantage of the girl's kindness?

"If you say so..." hesitantly interrupted Uehara, attracting everyone's attention. "We can't let those tickets go to waste."

Kazuki battled the urge to laugh when he can so clearly see through Uehara's struggles in keeping up her formal expression and tone. As their eyes met, she immediately turned away to hide her blush.

"I-it's not like I'm hungry or desperately want to taste the famed Strawberry Labyrinth, ranked number two in Shiroki City's highest rated desserts, with an overall score of 4.8 in that dessert enthusiast website that I'm totally not spending time on, okay? L-let's just get this over with."

The resulting awkward silence was broken by the redhead's happy cheer.

2

"Delicious!"

Amagi exclaimed after she gulped down the fourth of the eight strawberries that encircled the huge parfait. Meanwhile, Fujiwara, who was seated beside her, playfully teased feeding her a spoonful of vanilla ice cream.

Standing at six inches tall, the Strawberry Labyrinth was practically the super dessert. It was the masterpiece and the undisputed bestseller of the renowned dessert shop Pleasure Paradise to the point where people talked about it even at school.

Kazuki, meanwhile, looked at the serving that ominously stared him back. It made him even more impressed with the girls.

His tolerance for sweet things was nothing compared to theirs, and just getting through a fraction of the dessert had his tongue feeling numb with the sweetness already.

Regardless, it was probably one of the most delicious parfaits he had ever eaten, and he had nothing but gratitude for Fujiwara.

"Ohh, looks like someone's enjoying herself."

It was an offhand comment by Fujiwara, but it was clear to everyone who it was meant for. Near Kazuki's barely finished glass cup was one that had been completely wiped out.

Uehara finished off the last of her serving, capping it off with an expression of pure bliss.

"Yeah, I did not expect her to have quite the sweet tooth," chimed in Kazuki while playing with his spoon.

Those words seemed to have done their job in snapping the black-haired girl back to reality, as her pupils widened in surprise, and she almost dropped her spoon.

"No I don't!" Uehara awkwardly fumbled for words before stopping herself. "Sorry. I should have held back. That's a bit shameful, Fujwara. Sorry."

"Don't worry, that cute side really suits you," the redhead replied. "Besides, if the boys knew about this, it will make you all the more appealing as a cheerleader on the sports fest!"

She then happily finished her Strawberry Labyrinth.

"So, how's Amamiya? I bet you three would look like an amazing power trio out there, leading the squad!"

Before any of the other two girls can respond, Fujiwara continued, her mischievous smile never leaving her face.

"It's fine. You may be Senpai's rival, and I will forever be on her team, but you're also our friend. Friends look out for one another," she then abruptly paused mid chatter before whispering to herself. "Wait a minute."

"This is bad. Now, Arata knows that sweets are the way to your heart," she looked as if she was deep in thought before turning to Amagi. "Quick, Senpai. You have to think of something to retake the lead. The childhood friend should not lose!"

The curious look of other customers looking at the commotion at their table was something that Kazuki felt particularly uncomfortable about. Given the set up of three girls with one guy and the topic, he wanted to run and hide in a corner.

How did he suddenly became the topic of the three girls out of nowhere?

"Anyway, what were you up to back in Oracle Villa, Fujiwara?" asked Uehara.

Whew.

Kazuki's sigh of relief signaled the end of the commotion. Then, he noticed Fujiwara's face turn solemn. It was the same look that he saw at the library, and he already knew what it was all about.

"It's Reijy. He had been so sad and gloomy recently. Company this, company that. It makes me so mad!"

Fujiwara paused to catch her breath, but it was only a prelude to the following tirade.

"Ever since we reconnected, all he could think was being productive and being number one. It's been eating at him now, but I don't know someone who could help him. Someone he really trusted as a friend who can help me bring him out of his shell."

Uehara had the briefest look of surprise. "Reijy? You mean Ishida?"

"Come to think of it, he hasn't been at school for a while," followed Amagi.

"He hasn't shown up at school, yeah, and even calls from people like Saito-senpai weren't getting answered. He would only text me, and even then, it's all vague and never assuring. I'm honestly very worried for him."

"And he lives in Oracle Villa, I assume."

As Uehara said those words to herself, she gave a passing glance at Kazuki.

A strong Fragment. Oracle Villa.

Kazuki connected the dots.

"Could it be?" he wondered softly.

"I know he's not the greatest person, but I just want to do something for him. I just cannot let him go on like this. You know what I meant, right, Senpai?"

Amagi nodded.

Out of the three of them, Kazuki could tell that she was legitimately the most worried. She looked at Fujiwara with her full attention, having set aside her dessert.

"Thank you, Senpai."

"What is Ishida like, anyway? He always acted nice enough to us, but I also get some snobbish vibes from him. He seemed to look down on Arata in particular."

Instead of Fujiwara, it was Amagi who answered Uehara's query.

"When they were in middle school, the two were really good friends," she said in a surprisingly strong voice. "They were so tight that if he was not with Shiki and me, he would be hanging out with Ishida and his friends."

"It really made me a bit jealous how close they were," she then softly interjected.

"Regardless. The group was so closely-knit and spent entire breaks talking about the latest crazes. Movies, video games, anime, tabletop games. In fact, I can't help but feel that Arata felt more at home with them than anyone else. Ishida was also a lot more relaxed and laid back then. He was a lot less serious with that friend group. However, there was one problem."

Kazuki, who had been quiet the whole time, felt his chest tighten ever slightly. He knew the direction the conversation was headed.

Why did it feel this way? He thought that he had managed to tell himself that it no longer mattered, that it would remain a remnant of a past that he wished to bury.

"Ryoji Nakagami. He was a schoolmate that the group of theirs picked on. In the end, his parents transferred him away after Nakagami apparently tried to take his own life, and those who were left started pointing fingers at each other."

She paused, letting the story sink in the very eagerly-listening Fujiwara.

"Arata was singled out, and that was when their friendship ended. Ishida and the other people were quick to pass the blame to Arata, and he just stood by and took in the hate," Amagi continued as her voice gradually grew more and more strained. "It's just unfair. It's so unfair? Don't you think so, Fujiwara?"

Those last words were released with a tinge of frustration that caused the redhead's eyes to recoil in surprise.

On the other hand, Uehara had been listening intently, and Kazuki found himself fidgeting, dreading the time Amagi's story ended. Just what was this feeling?

Fear.

Fairness of his retribution aside, he knew of the one fact that would never change.

It was the fact that he took part in Nakagami's departure. It was he who contributed to pushing the poor guy past the breaking point, and while he was not the only one who deserved scorn for that, Ishida and friends getting away scot-free will never erase the fact that it was he who stalked Nakagami's social media for content. It was also he who created all those parodies and perpetuated rumors.

It was mostly he and Ishida who would not stop talking about the guy. All while, he put up a neutral and friendly façade to the guy.

Nothing would erase his hypocrisy, and it was a side that Kazuki had trouble living with.

If he had the chance to go back to the past, he would have probably punched himself.

"Yes, it is," finally replied Fujiwara, having gone over the initial shock. "So what he said about Arata was really true."

A look of disappointment came over her face.

"I did not want to believe it after spending the Tenka Peak trip and the summer festival with all of you."

"Sounds to me that they're just two sides of the same coin in that instance," commented Uehara. "Just that if we take what you said about Reijy's personality into account, he might just be using Arata to pass the time and entertain himself. Truly despicable."

"No. That was the time when I saw the most genuine happiness from the both of them. Perhaps if you can find a way to recapture those days for Ishida, minus the bullying, it could work out with what you wanted to do," ended Amagi on a more hopeful tone.

With a pout, Fujiwara continued, "Hmph! It's a scolding that Reijy deserves. I'll drag him back to school and force him to apologize to you all. At first."

"You don't have to go that far," voiced out Kazuki.

"If he can get together with all of you, he'll probably stop being miserable and holing himself up at home, talking nonstop about his company or how to get ahead in life. He'll also stop lecturing me about always having to be at the top and showing no mercy to my opponents in swimming."

"That's... an overly simple way of putting it. You sure about that?"

Kazuki's voice trailed off, but the redhead just shook her head.

"Reijy and I go way back, and after all the help he had given me, it is my job to bring him back to the right track. That's what close friends do, right? Help each other face their problems and become better people. When we were little... no, even down to the last day when he had to leave my town, he always was there for me. Now, I want to be here for him."

"I understand if you do not want to help Reijy, Arata. But I'll knock some sense into him, and I hope that we can all be friends once it's all said and done. Seriously, he could be here with us, and he's missing out!"

"Thanks for your help, Fujiwara," eagerly answered Amagi while Fujiwara's sigh indicated that the conversation also took quite a lot out of her.

It just won't be that easy, come on.

Kazuki kept those thoughts to himself, not wanting to spoil the mood any further. Still, he knew it was an exercise on futility on the part of the lowerclassman.

"Okay, let's get back to eating!"

And just like that, the mood improved, and Fujiwara was back to her eager, inviting self.

That was quick.

2