Chapter 10
130 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Long ago, when monsters were many and free to walk the earth. The world consists of many creatures that are no longer found in today's age.

One by one, these creatures disappeared from the earth. One of them, the dragon, is rather notorious. They say dragons are cruel and crazy. That they became extinct because of their own madness. A disgusting tyrant, killing and fighting each other.

"That is bullshit!"

"Yeah?"

It was morning and not many people were seen on the street. Ernest and Neil were talking as they walked to their destination. Somehow their conversation moved towards the old Ellus.

Neil looked at Ernest, angrily he said, "The folklore is just biased. Dragons were the strongest race in old Ellus. Of course, other races, especially humans, would denounce them with envy."

"And how are you so sure about that?" Ernest asked, amused by the scowl on Neil's face.

"...That's how the world works. Human nature is.. they can't stand someone better than them, on the surface they may smile at you and all but then they will curse you behind your back," Neil bowed his head while murmuring, "Especially those nobles... full of hypocrites."

Ernest, confused by the sudden gloomy mood, asked the boy, "You hate the nobles?"

Neil answered uncertainly, "Not really. Rather than hating them as a whole, I rather hate them as individuals. I hate those who are disgusting but I won't fool myself into believing that all nobles are like that just because a lot of them are displeasing."

"That's a good mindset you have," Ernest praised as he rubbed Neil's head.

They turned a corner in an alley. Their destination was not far from them, which was a rectangular building surrounded by simple greenery. From the outside, the building looks old but gives off a nice traditional feel with the chimney on the right side.

Although it looked like an old house, there was a sign in front of its worn-out gate indicating that it was a private investigation office.

"Why did we come here anyway?" Neil asked while looking at the building in front of him.

"For information."

"Of what?"

"Someone," Ernest opened the gate and walked into the front yard.

There are not many flowers in it. Just a courtyard mostly filled with trees and grass.

Ernest knocked on the door. As they waited for the door to open, he spoke to the boy beside him, "If it weren't for that sign, I wouldn't have realized that this house is also a private investigation office."

Neil leaned against the post beside him as he spoke, "Well, it's just a small office. There's only Uncle Franz and a few other people, and it's just a side job they do as an interest. I mean, who in town would need this kind of service?"

"That's true."

They heard footsteps from inside. Neil straightened up and stood beside Ernest as the door opened.

"Morning Uncle Franz!" said Neil excitedly.

In front of them was a decent-looking middle-aged man. Shaggy black hair and hazel eyes. The man smiled kindly at them. There was something about the man that gave people a kind yet mysterious impression.

"Good morning Neil. I saw that you brought a friend here." The man said to Neil after scanning Ernest briefly.

"Yes uncle, this person here wants to employ your skills."

"Well, then I should thank you for bringing business for me. Please do come in," the man, Franz, motioned for them to come inside, "I'm sorry for the mess of this room, I didn't expect any guests today."

They walked into the house and were greeted by a harmonious-looking living room. The use of wood carvings in many places gives a luxurious antique impression. There was an unlit fireplace in front of the two single sofas, giving the room a warm feeling.

"Please have a seat while I prepare some refreshment," Franz went into the kitchen after saying that while Ernest and Neil each sat on the sofa.

"This Franz, is he from the south?" Ernest whispered to Neil.

Brown eyes are rare in this kingdom which is dominated by brown and blue eyes but is rather common for southerners. Coupled with the fireplace, because the kingdom of Emagia was a place with a good climate, neither cold nor hot, thus there was no need for a fireplace. Meanwhile, the south is cold for most of the time due to their region being close to snowy mountains.

"He's from Pruna Empire," Neil whispered back.

"Pruna? Is he okay living in this place?" Ernest asked, quite surprised.

The Pruna Empire is a country that has experienced many conflicts with the Emagia Kingdom. It is universally known that the two countries are enemies. For someone from the Empire to live here, Ernest thought he was too bold.

"This is the outskirts of the kingdom, not the capital. Also, uncle Franz is someone you just cannot hate. He is the number one coveted bachelor here."

Ernest hummed in understanding. This is the outskirts, people are not exposed to as many things and information as those in the capital. Conflict and whatnot is a distant thing for them. The handle here is also weak. So, the feelings of the people here for the kingdom are also not too deep.

"Sorry for the wait," Franz appeared shortly after. He arranged a small table and chairs for him to sit across from them. The table was full of teas and scones, "it is not much, but I hope you'll enjoy them," he said as he poured a tea that gave off a sweet aroma to each of them.

"This is enough, thank you very much, sir," said Ernest as he picked up his teacup, inhaling the aroma emanating from it.

"As Neil may have already said, my name is Franz. I opened this private investigative office primarily for my own interest, so if you come for a complicated case, I'm afraid I may not have the credibility to fulfill it."

"My name is Ernest. And you don't have to worry, sir. Because what I'm asking won't be anything difficult. You might hear it first before deciding whether to accept it or not."

"Very well, let us hear it then."

"I'm looking for information on a person, someone with the surname Lonera."

Franz looked at him strangely.

2