0 Prologue
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Man, this damn sun never seems to let up.

We've been sand surfing for what feels like hours now and I feel like I’m gonna croak. Can those useless sand sharks go any faster?

I mean, I’m practically burning alive out here! This amount of sun is definitely bad for my skin.

Not only that but we're running out of supplies and there are no cities insight, what a lovely situation, I just can't help but laugh.

"Oi, Jas. You ok over there?"

The eldest member of the Caravan spoke up, probably noticing my bad habit of outwardly expressing what I'm thinking on my face.

"Yeah, just peachy."

There are about twenty people in this caravan, all of us having been out here for hours on end. Of course supporting the needs of seventeen adults and teenagers + 3 children means that our supplies are running a bit low but we’re on course to a hub where there'll be lots of merchants with food and water… Hopefully.

The older man sighed, fanning himself with his hands.

“Look Jas, I know this is a less than desirable situation but you must realize that we’re all in this together! No one could’ve predicted what happened back there!”

Part of me wanted to disagree but I knew he was right. There was no way anyone could’ve predicted a dust storm of that magnitude destroying what little town we had left.

“Whatever.”

I completely despise this lifestyle, why must I endure all of this anyway? I wish I could’ve been born a prince in a high castle that oversees the sea. Someone like me doesn’t deserve to be put under these harsh conditions.

“SAND STORM!!!”

The headmaster of the Caravan suddenly shouted, pointing in the direction behind me.

I jolted up from my relaxed lying position, slowly turning around, scared of what I'd see.

Just my luck, huh.

A giant wall of dust and sand completely engulfed everything in its path, the speed at which it moved was astounding.

There's been a higher frequency of these sandstorms, especially around these parts of the sea which is why I’m even in this shit situation to begin with.

The head of the caravan grabbed the reins of the Sand sharks, violently thrashing them around, the sand sharks increasing their speed as a result.

The Carriage we were on shook violently as the sharks increased their speed.

As I gawked at the site of the storm, I lost my footing, almost falling off of the carriage and plummeting into the golden sea before catching myself on the ledge.

“HEY WATCH IT JASPER!”

The elder man must’ve noticed my little tumble. Embarrassing.

Just as I regained my footing in the carriage, one of the sand shark’s reins snapped. The shark sped off, leaving all of us and diving into the sand out of view.

A panic erupted in the Carriage as the other Sand sharks couldn’t pull the weight of twenty people plus the carriage and our carriage slowed down to a crawling speed.

I hopped out of the carriage immediately, the sand storm gaining on us. Everyone else in the carriage soon followed and ran their separate directions.

I kept running, not wanting to get caught in the storm.

I made it a fair distance away, not really knowing what my plan would be. All I knew is that I needed to distance myself from the storm.

“Shit!”

Uh oh. I recognize that voice.

I turned around, only to see the old man still on the carriage. Since he’s is eldest of the bunch, he can’t really run away like the rest of us.

I hesitantly took a step forward towards the carriage before stopping and weighing the pros and cons.

There’s a SAND TSUNAMI heading towards me, I really don’t have time to play hero… But it’s an old man… How could I live with myself if I just left him there to die? Well maybe someone else could save him?

I looked around, everyone else already out of view.

Well shit.

Damn it!

I, stupidly enough, ran towards the carriage, carefully helping him out of it as the sand storm grew closer to us.

“Thank you… Thank you so much...”

He couldn’t help but express his gratitude though I wasn’t really in the mood to hear it as we were both still in immediate danger.

“Yeah whatever, we have to go NOW!”

I tried hoisting him up and carrying him on my back however I lacked the upper and lower body strength to properly maintain him, promptly falling over.

“Thank you for coming back for this old man… However, I think you should leave me here… I’ve already lived most of my life and I don’t want to be responsible for taking someone else’s”

Pfft, Yeah right. I know he’s just saying that to seem endearing. I know deep down inside he still wants to live and I've already crossed the line, there’s no going back.

“Just shut up.”

I tried once again, flexing my entire body and taking small steps forwards but it was just too much for me. Curse this weak body.

The Sand storm’s darkness hung over us as it approached, the blistering sun and the once bright blue skies being shrouded in sand and dust. It was only a matter of time before we were caught.

Is this really it? I should’ve just ignored him and booked it. Now it’s really too late, huh.

The old man wobbled his way over to the carriage, attempting to lift it up.

“The hell are you doing?”

I thought maybe he'd lost his will.

The old man ignored my ridicule, bending down and digging up sand from under the carriage.

Wait a minute… Is he doing what I think he’s doing?

I rushed over to him, digging under the carriage and lifting it up so he could dig some more.

Could this really work?

The old man finished digging as he crawled into the little space he dug under the carriage.

I continued to hoist the carriage up with all of my strength before entering the hole and letting the carriage fall back on us.

The hole was deep enough to secure both of us as we both uncomfortably sat, unmoving.

The space was claustrophobic and it would become hard to breathe if we stayed under the carriage for too long but for now the hole acted as a safeguard from the storm outside.

A few minutes passed as nothing happened when suddenly we could feel the turbulence outside as the violent sandstorm was directly on top of us.

The carriage seemed like it was moving, if it moved away from on top of us we would be right in the heart of a sand storm.

“Wow, quick thinking old man. Didn’t think you had it in you”

If he wasn’t there I’d probably be... I don’t even want to think about it.

Although where we were was pitch black, I could tell he smiled.

 


 

We sat uncomfortably for what felt like hours under the Carriage, waiting for the sound of dust and debris to stop pelting it.

I finally felt like it was safe enough to dig ourselves out of the hole. I tried pushing the carriage from under it however it was much harder to do so since I was in an awkward position so instead I dug around the carriage, finally emerging from the ground, taking a long deep breath.

I crawled out of the hole, dusting myself off before gently lifting the old man out of the hole.

I looked around, scanning the environment. There were different debris scattered around the surrounding areas and onwards.

"WE DID IT!" I grabbed his shoulders and shook the old man with glee, excited we survived. Strangely enough however, he didn't seem so excited.

"Gramps?"

I was expecting he'd be happier about not dying but he stood with a somber expression on his face.

"Jasper. The sun is setting."

His voice sounded strangely cold.

"Yeah?"

A feeling of horror washed throughout my body. We absolutely can't be out in the desert at night.

The old man sat down on the sand, distraught.

"Jasper... We have to find shelter and fast, before the sun fully sets."

This wasn't looking good, not one bit.

Gramps and I began walking.

We'd been walking for a few hours now. We figured we'd be doing ourselves a favor by walking instead of just sitting and worrying about the night approaching.

"The sun's close to completely setting, Jas."

I swear this man is trying to scare me. I'm sure we'll be fine... Right?

It was hard walking up the sandy hills though I guess it could be considered a workout.

As we walked I tried keeping an eye out for any surviving Caravan members but we haven't crossed paths with anyone yet. There's no way everyone died from the storm...Right?!

I'm not normally this doubtful of a person however this situation seems so hopeless.

I hope there are survivors, there's no way me and this geezer will survive out here by ourselves.

Y'know, for as much as I hated being apart of the Caravan I sure am missing it a lot right now. Maybe I oughta appreciate some things more, no?

As we walked, the old man pulled a small dagger from his coat, giving it to me.

"Jas, I assume you've used one before, right?"

I shook my head no. I've never needed to use such a thing.

Gramp's face visibly changed, I think he lost all hope then and there

"You know when the Jinn come out at night, they'll track us down. We're already shaken up from the sand storm and we have no supplies."

I could tell the old man was trying to make me realize the gravity of the situation, though I'd only heard about Jin and never seen one before.

"Gramps, what are Jinn exactly?"

Gramps was dumbfounded.

"You mean you don't know what Jinn are?! What a sheltered life you must've lived!"

I guess it's true that I never had to go out much since my dad and brothers did all the work, I mostly just took care of the house.

"Let me tell you, Jas. Jinn are terrifying inhuman creatures that are said to live in Jahannam and dig their way up to the surface once the sun completely sets. They have an appetite for animals and especially humans. They come in all shapes and the largest known Jin is said to be able to touch the skies. They typically make their territories away from cities to avoid retaliation and rather catch strays however the stronger ones emerge near human settlements."

"And in case you haven't noticed, we are the strays."

I felt like I needed to take a breather after hearing that, how could such creatures like that even exist?

I really am not made for this. Curse the wicked sand storm that caused all of this.

I continued walking, my stomach growling and my throat becoming increasingly drier.

"Gramps... Got any water?"

He pat down his coat, looking to see if maybe there was any semblance of water.

"No kiddo... No water."

Just fucking great. I feel so tired, I could pass out as I am.

Just as I thought things couldn't get any worse, the sky darkened, the golden sea of sand no longer shimmering in the suns light as it set.

 


 

I can't believe it... This is really how I'll die. I didn't even get to lose it.

This just won't do. I can't die like this!

I tried to pump myself up by thinking about the things I wouldn't be able to do if I were to die now.

It was now officially nighttime though. I looked around, frantically waiting for Jinn to pop out in any direction. I gripped the dagger Gramps gave me, I had no clue how to fight or how to use it properly but I sure as hell wasn't gonna die without trying.

I managed to calm my nerves, it seemed like it wasn't an instant process as there were no Jinn in sight.

We were still surrounded by desert, no settlements in sight and no humans in sight. It was surely just a matter of time.

Gramps suddenly spoke.

"Hey, kiddo."

"What is it?"

"Just leave me behind. The Jinn go after the weak first for an easy meal, since I can't protect you I'll at least buy you some time."

"Shut up."

This guy has to be suicidal. Why does he want to sacrifice himself so bad? I won't let it happen.

"I know you wanna live. I won't take the easy way out and let you sacrifice yourself for me cause I won't be able to live with that either."

The old man smiled.

I was now much calmer, I thought maybe the Jinn stuff could've just been a scary story parents told their kids to keep them from leaving their homes when it's late out.

I was sure there couldn't have been a way I've lived for 17 years without encountering a Jinn before

Under our feet, a sand cone formed as something emerged beneath us. I immediately jumped back, yanking Gramps with me.

This can't be happening. I found myself hyperventilating, my breathing all over the place.

SHIT! This is it!

The figure burst through the sand, causing the sand to launch into the night sky.

I looked forward, waiting for the sand to clear so I could see what exactly a Jinn looked like.

There's no way I could've prepared myself for what I saw.

It was a humanoid figure, it towered over both me and Gramps. It had two long horns sprouting from its head and tiger-like claws that seemed like they could slash through steel. Its skin was pitch black and it had different animalistic features including sharp tiger-like teeth.

I felt nauseous just at the sight of it. Gramps clutched onto the back of my scarf wearily.

The creature stood tall, looking down on us as if determining which one of us would be the easier prey.

Before I could even react, the creature was right in front of me. I couldn't even process its speed as it flicked me, sending me flying into a sand dune.

My entire body trembled as I yelped out in pain.

"GRAMPS!"

I desperately yelled out to him.

"RUN!"

The creature stood over the Old man, its eyes lusting for his flesh. It raised its claw and swiped down.

I closed my eyes, flinching. I knew my heart wasn't strong enough to watch something like that.

I couldn't look as I closed my eyes, I didn't have the stomach to see another human being be slaughtered in such a way.

A few seconds passed, I expected to hear some sort of sound or scream however it was silent.

I slowly opened my eyes, not quite sure what to expect at this point.

All I saw was the freakish Jinn, the old geezer nowhere to be seen.

Did the Jinn gobble him up in one swallow perhaps? But I would've heard some sort of struggle, no?

"Up."

Both me and the Jinn looked up

Gramps was in the air, before I or the Jinn could even react he stomped down on its head.

You telling me that old fart was capable of that this whole time? Have I been deceived?

As the dust cleared, I could see Gramps had his foot mashed in the Jinns head, the Jinn completely unresponsive.

"Gram-"

Suddenly the Jinn grabbed hold of Gramp's leg. I sprung into action, bouncing up from the sand dune I was practically thrown into and readied the dagger I was given by Gramps. I rushed forwards as the Jinn increased its grip on Gramp's leg.

It suddenly shuffled up, swinging Gramps like a ragdoll before throwing him at me.

SHIT!

I took the hit, Gramps slamming into my stomach as I had the wind knocked out of me.

The impact of having another man albeit a tiny one thrown at me made me lose my grip on the knife.

We both hit the floor, skidding backward through the sand before stopping.

I quickly shoved Gramps off of me, him being completely unphased by the whole ordeal.

After catching my breath and regaining my composure, I noticed the geezer was completely unaffected.

"Oldie, what's the deal with you? Before you could barely walk now you're some sort of tank?"

I couldn't hold back my questions despite the situation we were in.

He didn't answer me, instead rushing the Jinn with a flying dropkick. It instinctively blocked its torso however Gramps slid under its legs, jumping up behind it and grabbed hold of its neck.

Gramps had put the Jinn into a chokehold.

"Now it's your turn Kiddo!"

"Hurry!"

He beckoned me to finish the Jinn off.

I searched for the knife, picking it and running at the Jinn with it.

"ITS CORE! STAB ITS CORE, JASPER!"

I rushed in, frantically stabbing it multiple times all over its body.

"WHERE IS THE CORE?!"

"THE HEAD, AIM FOR THE HEAD"

I jammed the knife into the head of the Jinn, right in between both of its horns. The creature screeched, its scream sending both me and Gramps flying backwards into the sand.

The creatures jet black skin slowly became gray, its muscles shrunk and shriveled and its horns broke off.

Holy shit... We did it!

My hands trembled in amazement as the Jinn's body turned to ash, blowing away in the wind.

Gramps came walking up to me, my smile quickly fading.

I got up, confused and angry.

"Who are you really, Old man."

He smiled at me.

"Would you rather stand here and figure out who I am or get a move on before more Jinn make their way to the surface?"

I looked down at the knife I used to kill the Jinn, the knife was completely bent and dull. It's of no use now.

I knew we couldn't just stand there.

"Alright Old man, We're gonna make it until sunrise and you're gonna tell me what your deal is."

The old man chuckled.

"Sure thing kiddo."

0