Chapter 36 – Two years
111 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Neja studied the small room. It had a cozy feel to it. The incense on the small wooden desk in the corner smelt  like irises. The elderly woman sat down on her mat as she motioned for Neja to do the same.

There was not much in this room, but it still gave him a warm feeling. He did not sense anyone in here, but he still hard his guard up in case anything happened. Kneeling down in front of the elderly woman, Neja waited.

"Calm isn't it?" The elderly woman spoke as she gazed into Neja's blue eyes.

Neja nodded and said, "Indeed it is. Haven't had a time like this in years."

The elderly woman agreed. "I know the feeling. There are just too many clans that all want to have their name shake the world. Starting pointless fueds with one another all for the sake of vengeance. It seems the cycle of hatred will never end in these coming years."

Her eyes suddenly grew large for a moment as she realized she made a mistake. "Sorry, I forgot to ask if you would like any tea. It is a bit la-" she started to say but Neja held up his right hand to stop her. "It's fine." He told her.

"I do agree with you. Even if I am a guilty party that plays a role in all of this. Things were a bit better two years ago." Neja said as he could recall the decently peaceful times before all the fighting began.

The elderly woman nodded again. "Those were the days. There were still skirmishes, but nothing like today. I've seen more blood shed in the past two years than I've seen in the sixty-three before. People like us are caught in the middle of it all. With very little we can do to stop it."

Neja listened to her fully understanding where she was coming from. "If it is about the matter with that clan, as long as I have enough time it can be dealt with." Neja told her.

The elderly woman shook her head. "Then what? Some other clan would just replace them. Maybe they will be better, but they could be worse. Sometimes it is better to deal with the devil you know. The Hitare clan are a pain, but they leave us just enough to survive on. We are content with that." She told him.

Neja furrowed his brows as he was a little confused. "So you want things to stay this way?" He asked her.

"Not at all. I'd just rather you not spill blood for someone you don't know. Besides, you seem to be carrying enough baggage as it is." The elderly woman said as her eyes landed on Neja's missing arm.

Neja could feel her stare and his missing arm was still a sore spot for him. Yet, he kept his emotions in check. "My matters are temporarily solved for now, so I'm free to do what I can." Neja told her. "Besides, I'm curious to know more about the situation going on here. Why are you guys being targeted in the first place?" Neja asked.

The elderly woman sighed. "When the large battles started to take place, our village was affected by it. Ninjas of all type used to come here and rob us for food and clothes. Some even killed those that tried to stop them. That is what caused everyone to hate the clans around us. A few months ago an injured ninja came to our village. He asked for help and we refused to be part of whatever was going on. Sad to say, he ended up dying. I never did get his name, but he belonged to the Hitare clan. Who blamed us for not helping him, and now they harras us whenever they can to make our lives difficult." She explained to Neja.

"Why just don't they kill you?" Neja asked.

"That would be too easy for them. Instead they like to kidnap the women and children. Beat them senseless until they don't know their right from left. After which they will let them return here only to do it again. Constantly until that person commits suicide or goes insane. Now our children and women are hiding, but knowing them they won't give up.: she answered him.

"Sounds like a problem. Do you know how many there are?"

The elderly woman looked at him for a moment. "You don't need to get yourself involved in this matter."

Neja looked behind him at the wooden door. "What about the others out there? They don't seem to share the same sentiment as you."

"They are still young. Blood can only be repaid with blood. That's a terrible ideology, one I'm sad to see my family members have taken up as well. But I'd rather keep living like this, than to make a move which could get us all killed." The woman told Neja.

Neja could catch her meaning. She did not know how strong he was, or if he was strong at all. Therefore, she was very hesitant about telling him anything in too much detail about the Hitare clan. Because if Neja did go and he lost, it would all come back on them. Meaning their lives would get much harder than it currently was.

Neja smiled at the elderly woman. "I understand. I still have hopes of opening up trade with your village. We have pelts of boar, deer, rabbit and wolf. I can bring you some if you would like to check the quality."

The elderly woman thought it over and agreed. "That is fine, I can inform the others about this matter. But, I'm not sure how much we can trade you as we still need to eat ourselves. But the pelts would come in handy for the coming winter."

Neja nodded as he got up. He paused for a second before he looked at her. "I'm Neja by the way."

The elderly woman laughed a bit. "I have not heard of a name like that in ages. My great-grandfather was named that." She saw the grin on Neja's face and realized she was a bit off topic. "My name is Cirozu. Hope to see more of you Neja."

Neja did a light bow. "Same here."

4