Chapter 2: A Rift in Time
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A childish giggle sang into the streets, followed by another, dousing light on the dreary stone. The alleyways were always more empty than the main roads, but they were less fun. They ran and ran through the crowds, not a care in the world. 

“C’mon, Rina!” he called. “The market will close soon!”

“Stop running so fast! I can’t keep up!”

“Stop being so slow!” he chuckled.

Irene ran after him, watching his back fade into the distance, but could never seem to catch up. She slowed to a stop, breathing heavily. She could no longer see the boy ahead of her. “H-hey!”

The sun disappeared from the sky and shadows began to creep around her. Chills trickled down her back and she whimpered, swinging her head around at the now-empty street. Tears forming, Irene wiped her clammy hands on her grey dress. Corpses began appearing around her, the blood pooling around her feet. She gasped, about to run, but froze before she could, a warped voice whispering around her.

“It’s your fault.”

Rina gasped, chest locking up. “W-what did I do?” she whimpered, eyes wide, looking around frantically for the origin of the voice.

The shadows laughed cruelly before reaching from behind and grabbing her midsection, lifting her into the sky and then dragging her down and down through the ground.

Her terrified cries were silenced as her fate was sealed.

~o~

Day came again, this time with the sun peeking out over her bedroom window. Irene opened her eyes, squinting against the bright light before lurching out of bed and onto her feet. Her vision started to darken and she staggered towards the wall, leaning against it, her head throbbing in time with her rising heartbeat. 

It had been quite a while since she last dreamed of him. If she tried hard enough, she could forget about that day, but some part of her would forever be dirtied by her cowardly escape. She didn't deserve to forget.

Once her vision returned to normal, Irene took a deep breath and clothed herself, then stepped out of her room and into the cluttered kitchenette, noticing the horseshoe stone on the cluttered wooden table. It was slightly dusty, the specks giving it the appearance of neglected rocks. She grabbed the toy and brushed the surface off with her fingertips, hands soft and gentle. Kingsley would have loved it.

‘Stop it,’ she berated herself. ‘He isn’t dead.’

Breathing a sigh, she set about making herself a meal to start the day. Irene stepped over to the fireplace and placed a few dry logs in before grabbing the kindling. With the fire now roaring, she turned back to the table and began to cut up the last of her dried vegetables. 

She knew she should try and forget about the boy, like everyone else did when kids disappeared. It would be easier to leave the memories behind and to move on, at least, that's what everyone said. Irene wasn't sure it was as easy as they claimed it was, for there was a deep gaping hole in her chest gnawing away.

Stepping outside to grab her collected rainwater, she noticed that it was surprisingly quiet out in the street. The wind whistled in her ears, the draft blowing discarded blank parchment along the dusty stones. 'Strange,' she thought. The peasant side of the town was never empty, nor silent. Her district was packed full of people, the cramped citizens running about at all times of the day. Irene dismissed her thoughts when she remembered about her still-burning fire. She couldn’t let it go out before her meal was boiled. 

Returning inside, she wrinkled her nose at the smoke clogging the room but was used to seeing through it after so many years. Perhaps one day she would get a proper chimney to clear out the smoke. 

After pouring the water into the bronze cooking pot, she scooped some grain out of the corresponding bowl before adding the chopped vegetables. Irene stirred the mixture once, then twice. While not very flavourful, Irene found this meal the easiest and cheapest to make. Lucky for her, dinner would consist of the rations she bought the day before.

~o~

Once she finished eating, she packed her bag with a pouch of dried meat and another of fruit before stepping outside and into the street. The market was open, but fresh food wouldn't be sold again for at least a fortnight. The magistrate rationed out how many goods the poor versus the wealthy received. If a peasant missed the day, they would have to make do with the dried and salted food they had saved up. Irene had missed the day once, too sickly to leave her bed. Lucky for her, Lori had gone in her stead. She didn’t plan on having it happen again, and especially not now that Kingsley had been taken. Her friends didn’t need that stress.

The previously empty road was now more filled out, people sliding past Irene discreetly. She made sure to keep her belongings close to her chest, not wanting a stray pickpocket or thief to take a grab. It felt odd. Everything was as it should have been, but she found her gut twinging more and more as she got further from her home. 

Irene made her way over to the eastern edge of the city. There was something almost disturbing about the areas lining the outermost wall. The people there were amiable enough for Ralidence citizens, but something about the foreboding stone barrier standing tall into the sky evoked something strange in her. Then again, the wall kept them secure. It separated them from the outside. Because as with everything else in Ralidence, the magistrate was there to keep them safe, and there was nothing the citizens wanted more than to be safe.

The roads were swarming with guards, the armored men patrolling the wall and its entrances as well as manning the countless bastions scattered throughout the outer edge. She lowered her gaze to the clean, freshly paved path like usual as they passed her by. The houses on this end of the town were only slightly better than those in her district, the wooden and stone buildings bigger and separated, but standing less than half the height of the wall. The people living in them left their windows open and bare, the doors wide. There was less discord over there, due to the heightened military activity. She wished that she had been fortunate enough to have acquired a spot on that side of the town.

Irene was just about to turn the corner and leave the place behind when a yell caught her attention.

“Intruder beyond the gate!”

Turning around, she fixed her gaze on the wall before sliding it towards the western gate, not knowing what to expect. Guards swarmed around barking back and forth as they formed a blockade in front and behind the barred entrance. The archers in the towers on either side of the gate began to yell orders and soon enough bows were locked on their target, no doubt poking out of the many arrow loops. She felt her heart beating out her chest in grim anticipation.

Irene wasn't quite sure of the identity of the intruder, for the eastern edge was facing into their innermost boundaries, therefore not likely to receive an outside invasion. Ralidence had been preparing for an attack on the capital for many years. According to the King, Tantha was an active enemy and their battles overseas were taxing on the cities’ gold reserves, which was also their reason for the uneven split of rations. Irene found this entirely understandable and she hardly complained, and almost everyone held the same sentiment. As the biggest city in Eprium, Ralidence held the most power and control over the country, therefore it had the right to enforce certain rules to keep the country safe. 

Irene did find it strange that they were never directly attacked, but she left that kind of thinking to the ruling magistrate.

There was also a rebel faction taking refuge somewhere in their lands, but Ralidence hadn’t found their hideout yet. The outcasts were ruthless murderers who sought only to disrupt the perfect peace in the city. They were out for revenge and wished to see every Ralidence citizen dead. They were the main reason they needed a wall. As far back as she could remember, every person who had left the protective barrier by themselves ended up brutally mauled, carved, and ripped to shreds, their broken bodies left out just beyond the eastern moat. 

“Halt! Hold your ground, men!” a voice commanded.

“Sir, d’you think that’s one of ours?”

The first man, the commander, seemed to ignore the question. “State your name!”

All Irene could hear after the firm command was sudden, surprised gasps, then an avalanche of clanking of armor as the troops shuffled around and into the outside field before they dragged a limp body back through the entrance. She strained her head over the crowd that had squeezed in around in the middle of the street to see what was happening.

“He’s wearing Ralidence armor, sir.”

“—stand down!”

All at once the archers resumed their previous positions and removed their bows from the lookout, countless voices yelling to each other. Irene could barely understand most of the chaotic words.

“Bring him inside,” the military officer snarled. “He could be a spy.”

“—medic!”

“—secure the gate.”

Irene’s eyes widened when she finally caught a glimpse of the man they pulled in. His body was gaunt and sunken in, face pale. Blood caked his undershirt and the side of his head. He was very lucky to still be alive, for the rebels were never that kind in their treatment. From what she could see, he didn’t have any shoes on, but he did don Ralidence signets. She found herself feeling oddly sorry for the man, but before she could dwell too deeply on his misfortunes, she reminded herself that he was likely the one to choose to go past the safety of their wall, for soldiers were never the ones hurt when they left in their squads, they were too skilled. Alone, the rebels would tear them apart.

A Ralidence soldier walked up to the crowd. “Nothing to see here folks, go back to your business,” he said sternly, and the people around her complied.

Irene found herself walking in step with the others, but then realized that she still needed to visit the market before the day drew too dark. Shaking her head, she turned the corner and once again reminded herself to not dwell on the returned man.

~o~

“How long’s it been?”

Irene sighed. “Seventeen years.”

“Rina, you gotta stop beatin’ yourself up ‘bout it,” she said. “You know it won’t do you any good.”

She let her gaze fall to the ground.

“Now don’t get that look on your face,” the tanned woman tutted, pushing her black, braided hair out of her eyes. “This kind of stuff’s normal, don’t tell me it isn’t. Kingsley’s not the first boy even this week to have been taken, and Nolen broke the law. What were you supposed to do, follow him to the gallows?”

Irene flinched.

 

A small collarbone snapping against coarse rope.

 

Her heart slammed harder against her chest

She clenched her eyes but eventually nodded. “You’re right, Patti...I just...never really thought it could happen to me again, y’know?” she paused, swallowing thickly. “I guess I’m just as hopeless as the rest of the Godforsaken town.”

“What do you mean?” 

She chuckled dejectedly, noticing the lost cause. “It’s nothing…”

The yellow awning above her ruffled slightly above her and the area seemed to fall silent. A crowd began to assemble in the main square, passing by like deteriorating gnats.

Patti bit her lip, her eyes darting back and forth for a moment. “I don’t think the magistrate would want you to act like this.” At Irene’s confused silence, she continued. “You shouldn’t keep remembering this stuff! It’s bad for the city.”

The crowd around them began to grow and push past faster, their limbs brushing against Irene’s, the jerking movements causing her to take a step forward. It was then she realized how dull they were compared to the bright cloths and decorated buildings around her. 

Then she looked at herself, just as dark as the rest of them.

Irene nodded suddenly, then thanked the woman for talking with her, needing to leave the slowly closing space. She was quickly losing control over her emotions and could feel the tears bubbling up behind her eyes. “I’ll see you around, Patti,” she said, softly, and the market person waved back, turning to fiddle with her baskets, a sad smile adorning her face.

Irene didn’t plan on forgiving herself anytime soon.

~o~

It was the end of the week, and she had just finished a new commission. This time she finished with much more daylight left to enjoy. Irene was still reeling over the conversation she had with Patti those couple of days ago, as well as the eastern gate incident. The breaks in her routine left her feeling more hollow than usual. It had been so long since she actively thought about Nolen, and now he seemed to be everywhere in her thoughts, lying behind every memory, every action. She had found herself almost believing Patti’s words earlier, if only to fulfill the selfish need to lift the burden off her chest, but she quickly disposed of those undeserving thoughts.

She couldn’t quite bring herself to retire to her bedchamber this early, so she instead left for the market, planning on wandering, peering at every luxury she was not capable of having.

~o~

She had just finished her shopping and was on her way to visit Lori before curfew ended when chills went down her spine. The air turned cold and grey, clouds blocking the light from touching the ground. Irene found herself instantly missing the bright warmth kissing down on her head; she pulled her hood up, shivering, but it wasn't from the wind.

She looked around at her surroundings, stiffening up. Something wasn't right. There weren't any people around her. The street sat completely void, empty. She was alone. That wasn’t right—her district was never like that. Even the blank walls and barred windows were darkened, shadowed.

She walked faster and faster towards Lori’s house and rushed up the steps to knock on the door.

“Lori?” she called, knocking again. “John?”

Breathless, she unlocked the door using the couple’s emergency trigger and rushed inside, hoping to find them safe and alive in their home. What she found tore the rest of her breath away. The three-room house was in complete disarray. Their kitchenette was completely destroyed and both of the bedroom doors were snapped in half, splinters sticking straight out. Grain was scattered across the entire floor, soaking in a puddle of crimson liquid. Blood.

Irene gasped, falling to her knees. She needed to find them. If they were even still alive.

Standing up, she ran back into the street, legs shaking. She staggered, wanting to cry out in fury at the emptiness. There still wasn’t a single person around. She didn’t know where to go, where to look.

“Lori!” Irene called, cupping her mouth with her hands. “John!” There was no answer. Where is everybody? 

Despair began to take hold of her body, fueling her incessant shaking. Where are they? They were not where they were supposed to be. Lori never stuck her neck out where she wasn’t supposed to, and John would have done anything to protect her.

 

 

“Rina!” Nolen cried, voice screaming with fear. His small chest heaved with each quick breath as he stared at her with his deep blue eyes. Blood was pouring down his temple, soaking into his shirt.

The guards began to drag him away, restraining his hands behind his back. They peered down at him: a cold stare without mercy. They were taking him away! She had to do something—Irene looked at the crowd, watching the adults. She cowered at the sight, shivering in her tattered dress as she stood at the edge of the alleyway, holding tightly to the cloth. 

 

 

No, not again! She couldn’t let someone else be taken away from her! Irene sprinted faster down the street. She turned the corner, once, twice. No one was around. She began to panic, her breaths coming out quicker until she was close to hyperventilating. It felt as though she was alone in the entire city.
She was about to turn the next corner when she finally saw an elderly-looking lady crossing the street and walking into her house; she gasped.

“Ma’am!” she cried, breathless.

The woman looked affronted but paused, raising her eyebrow at Irene’s bedraggled appearance.

“Do you know why the streets are empty?”

She seemed to think about it for a moment, then spoke. “I do believe there is a Punishment Trial happening at the moment, young lady.”
A Punishment Trial?

Irene’s blood ran cold.

“Thank you for letting me know, Ma’am.”

Turning around, she snuck through an alleyway that she knew would lead her to the main square, hoping her suspicions were wrong.

~o~

“Here stands criminals, the accused,” the military officer announced, voice booming.

Irene burst into the square.

“Before their lives shall end today, their crimes shall be read to you all, for they have committed the worst offense known to Ralidence.”

The large crowd clustered around the gallows forming an impenetrable wall, their tightly packed bodies blocking Irene from seeing the accused.

“Today, Lorine and Johnson Saunders are to be sentenced to death for attacking an estimated magistrate member, the most deplorable crime.”

Irene’s mouth fell open, and she covered her mouth with her hands, trying her best not to let out her outcry of pain. The wind picked up, slicing across her skin like knives.

“Rina!” Lori suddenly yelled out. “It was them! They did it! Kingsley’s still alive!”

A sharp resounding crack echoed about the square as the ropes went taught. The crowd went wild with applause and yells of triumph, the sound diminishing to a roaring wave across Irene’s ears, and she fell to the ground.

 


Rina!” Nolen cried. “Don’t leave me! Please!” The boy strained to leave his captor’s grasp, but the soldier’s hands held strong.

Irene stared, wide-eyed.

“Rina!”

“Run along young lady, the boy has defied Ralidence’s laws. You will never see him again.” 

Never again?

At her hesitance, a different soldier lunged at her and she flinched back. With a cry of fear, she ran off back into the safety of the alleyway. 

‘I’m sorry, brother.’

 

Her mind went hollow and blank, her thoughts running rampant until a black haze settled along the edges of it, slowly sinking further in. Absently she lowered her head between her legs, grasping her knees until her fingers went numb. She tried to level her breathing, but they only came out in short bursts. Her body began to shake. Lori. She whimpered. John.

They were dead.

0