Chapter 002: We Meet Again PART 2
1k 2 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lunch With My First Love & Boyfriend


Mae— She occupies a seat on the opposite side of the seating arrangement, positioned towards the front and center. Consequently, I am diagonally facing her back.

She seems to be reading something on her phone. I bet it's an ebook. She hasn't changed at all. However, although she seems focused, I can see her glancing at me from time to time.

She might be feeling a bit out of place, and since I'm the only person she knows, perhaps she wants to be in my company. No one is interacting with her after all.

I find myself unable to look away from her. It could be due to the years that have passed since I last saw her, but there's a sense of nostalgia in observing her like this.

She looks the same as ever. Her beauty has undeniably evolved, surpassing her previous allure. But imagining her with a taller stature and a slender face, free from the remnants of her cute baby-face, I would undoubtedly place her in the category of a sophisticated and cool beauty.

No, she's actually a cool beauty but her cuteness kind of overwhelms it.

Oh well, she's plenty good this way. I don't dislike it.

She looks in my direction again.

I walk towards her seat, “Oh hello there~ Mae-chan!” Everyone is looking at me including my friends and Mae-chan herself. I for some reason is feeling an extremely cold gaze from behind me. “It's been a while. How are you doing? Are you surprised we are in the same class section?”

“Ah— eh..‘Mae-chan’..?... Err, it's nice meeting you again.. Mark. And yeah, this is really a surprise. I didn't expect this at all,” she's a little bit flustered. It's just a subtle change though so it won't be noticed by others easily.

“Call me ‘Mark-kun’. What have you been doing all this time? I heard you move somewhere but it's good that you're back.” I look at her beautiful eyes, “Welcome back, Mae-chan.”

“.....” she looks at me with surprised expression and then the corner of her lips slightly raise.

“Mae-chan, do you—” I want to invite her to eat lunch with me and company but someone grabs my arm tightly. It's kind of painful. “Eli-chan.”

She comes forward blocking Mae-chan from me. Eli-chan has her lowered head so it's not that noticable but I'm sure Mae-chan can see how fierce she's glaring at her.

Mae-chan looks at me then to Eli-chan, and looks like she understands something, “I'm Mae—”

Before Mae-chan could speak, Eli-chan interrupts her, “Sit with me Mark. It's no longer ma'am Iris so it should be fine. I have something to talk to you.”

I look at Eli-chan and know what she's thinking. Why is she jealous?

“Alright.”

Before Eli-chan pulls me away, I quickly say, “Let's eat lunch together. I'll introduce you to my circle.”

She looks at Eli-chan first before nodding softly, “Yes, thank you.”

「11:42」

I walk towards: Mary, Rose, Jeremy, and Mae-chan to invite them to have lunch with me somewhere quiet and comfortable.

“'Mkay Mark-kun~ I'm coming as well!” Mary says cheerfully as ever.

“Because you're insisting, I'll come too,” Rose says seemingly reluctant.

“.............” Jeremy nods.

As I was about to approach Mae-chan, Eli-chan swiftly wraps her arm around mine. Full of hostility, she obstructs my attempt to get closer to her.

“.............” with a wry smile, Mae-chan nods at me and follow is from behind.

—We're here. We're the only group here. 

Having settled down, I uncover my lunch box, its warmth still lingering. In unison, the others doors the same and a variety of dishes present themselves.

Fueh~! What's with that full-of-love lunch box you have, Mark-kun?” Mary asks curiously.

“Hmm, my sister made me this.”

“Aren't you loved by your sister then? Cherish her well, Mark-kun.”

Loved huh?

I don't know anymore. That girl, I still don't understand her train of thought.

“Yes of course. Rather than that, you guys should introduce yourselves to Mae-chan.”

Seemingly flustered, Mary says shyly, “Ehm— I'm ‘Mary Angeline Tellisha’, just call me Mary if you want.”

Without sparing a glance at Mae-chan, Rose introduces herself, saying, “I am Rose,” and proceeds to eat in silence.

“Jeremy Alvah,” Jeremy is as cold as Rose.

Thanks for the long introduction you two. At least look at the person.

Mae-chan smiles wryly. “I'm Mae Gradielle, I'd like to be your acquaintances. I don't have any intention to be on your bad sides so please don't take any offenses,” she says as she takes a glance at Eli-chan.

“Elizabeth. I'm ‘his girlfriend’,” Eli-chan emphasizes.

She's been hostile since earlier. Indeed. She's jealous.

What a weird atmosphere. Everyone is silent. Jeremy and Rose refuse to talk. Mae-chan is being deterred by Eli-chan's obvious hostility.

“Err.. um, both—ehem—Mark-kun and Mae-chan seems to to know each other very well,” probably trying to change this uncomfortable atmosphere, Mary points out.

“Yes. Mark is.. well, he was my classmate and one of my few male friends back when we're in first year,” Mae seems to be trying to keep our history in secret.

“I see... but you know what, um, I can feel a special atmosphere between the two of you. I can't really explain it well though.”

Oh...

Women intuition or just what you'd expect from a lovesick?

“Well, yeah... we're pretty close.. uh,” Mae is getting uncomfortable. She doesn't really wanna bring back the past.

“She was my first love after all!” I say all of sudden. Uh bloody hell. Why did I suddenly say that?

Look. Everyone has a shocked expression like as if they just heard a revolutionary revelation.

Meanwhile, Eli-chan looks terrified and she's frozen in place. Rose shakes her head before eating, not wanting to get involve any further.

“Uh... eh... well...”

Mae-chan seems to want to say something but can't find the right words.

Mary probably notices the atmosphere that started with her words, “Err... Um... w-well... s-sorry for what I said.

“Hum~ What's wrong— Oh someone is coming, ”I am conniving when I sense a familiar presence. He's my treacherous friend and...

“Ah, Mae... Sorry I'm late,” he is smiling wryly.

Mae-chan stands up to introduce the guy, “...Ms. Hecate, and everyone! He's ‘Al D. Ellcrín. My boyfriend.”

Everyone, but Eli-chan who is just looking at Mae-chan and Jeremy excluded, scanned him from head to toe.

Mae-chan turned to me with an apologetic look, “I'm sorry I invited him without prior notice. I just.. wanted for us to patch things up—”

I wave my hand, “Is there something broken?”

Mae's silent.

Al coughs,“Ah, eh...right. I am Al. It's nice to meet y'all... And... it's been a while Mark.”

“Yeah right. We barely meet despite being in the same school from the end of first year to date.”

“Ah, well, I'm kinda busy you see.”

I squints my eyes to this guy, “Well, take your seat for now.”

He sits beside Mae-chan, but I don't know why it looks like he's trying not to touch her. Mae-chan finds it strange as well judging by her expression.

Al has a red hair and red eyes with tall masculine constitution so he looks kind of unruly.

It's been a while since I interacted with him for various reasons, but one of it is we are both busy dealing with our own matters.

After I introduced my friends to Al, we move the conversation forward.

“Where have you been lately?” I ask.

“Uh, eh, just hanging out with my friends.”

“Oh well. Hanging out is it? Glad to know you're enjoying life as well.”

“You seem to be fine as well. It's been a while isn't?”

“And why I can't be fine?”

He scratches his head, “Err.. Ah right! Ace and Reije might return to visit us soon.”

“Really? I haven't heard anything about them for a long time. I gotta asked them how's life overseas.”

“Reije said he learned to speak japanese quite well already, meanwhile Ace got in a famous varsity in there.”

“Heh, they seems to be living a fulfilling life.”

“Even you though,” he takes a glance at Eli-chan. “You have a cute girlfriend over here."

Eli-chan tightens her hold on my arm. I will really have a hard time eating with that tight grip of yours, Eli-chan.

“I know right. I truly am glad to be with her.”

“Shall we go home together? I have something to talk with you.”

“Hm-mm~ That's fine by me. Our route are more or less the same. Do you all have a problem with that? Are all of you coming?”

Jeremy shook his head, “I'm sorry, Mark. I need to buy groceries.”

“Very well. If you insist, I'll come with you,” Rose says.

“I'd like too join you all but I have a date later hehehe...” Mary shakes her head with an apologetic smile.

“I see. Then it's decided. It's kind of dangerous lately anyway.”

“Right. The ‘Bloodreaper’ ...was it? He's troublesome. Plus those gangs under ‘Schadenfreude’ are causing problems here and there too.”

Why do you know that group?

“Schadenfreude? What do they do?”

“Just like the name of the group— their creed is to enjoy the misery of others,” Al says.

Who the hell spread that? It's making me cringe.

“Do you know who's the leader?”

“Eh? I don't know. I only know the gang leader of some of the gangs under them.”

“Don't tell me you joined that gang.”

E-Eh...n-no...

“You're flustered.”

“I just joined out of curiosity alright!”

You look smug though.

“Whatever. Let's eat now before lunch break ends.”

31