Chapter 011: Can’t Be Solved Simply By Talking [Part 2]
269 0 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A Demure Nurse


I'm riding a jeepney with Eli-chan. We're going to plaza Rizal for a sweet date. Mostly because I mess up...

She's sitting in front of me because you do remember that I am not allowed to touch her right? That's one of her terms in the deal we made.

I can't talk to her because of the engine's roaring noises, and the fact that there's a gap between the two of us.

A jeepney is designed with two long parallel seats and in the middle of them is an aisle.

Besides that, the passengers are all sitting beside each other so there is no privacy at all. If I talk to her at this distance, it would be too conspicuous.

And Eli-chan is refusing to even make an eye contact with me. She is looking outside through the open window of the jeep.

The woman wearing a white nurse outfit gestures the sign of a cross, and mumbles inaudible words which are most likely a brief prayer.

The building over there is the Naga Cathedral. That's our Roman Catholic Church in Naga city. It has a romanesque style and baroque structure, the common design back in the Spanish era.

I visited this place countless times in the past already. Not because I am attending the mass, but because this is where students are usually practicing their school performances such as dance. There's another place actually, it's the Basilica church. The two churches have vast green yard, both having a nice area to practice with. The soft grass allows for perfect physical activity.

“!!“

I crashed with the nurse when the jeep suddenly stopped.

“Ouch.”

She smells good. Her hair is very fragrant even though it's already late in the afternoon. That shampoo is familiar to me. And I know that it's the type you can buy for ₱6.00 per sachet. So I don't think it's the reason why she still smells pleasant. I believe she smells good naturally.

“I'm sorry po ate.” I was busy watching outside and so I wasn't ready for the sudden break of the jeep.

She tucks her hair behind her ear. I messed it up earlier. She then straightens her back while closing her legs tightly. She's probably trying to create a distance between the two of us.

Is she creeped out by me? I don't feel it from her though.

“No it's fine po,” she nods with a soft smile.

“I was observing the church po… so I wasn't prepared for the sudden stop. The structure looks elegant after all.”

“I see.” She is disinterested.

“You were praying earlier, right? What did you pray about?”

“.........” She is just looking at me. Perhaps wondering what am I feeling close with her for.

“Oh. I am sorry po ate. Am I being a bother?”

“Oh no... Please don't think like that.”

“My name is Mark.” I stretch my arm asking for a handshake.

She merely stares at it.

“Ate, are you ‘Maria Clara’?”

“Eh?”

“Well you're like... What was the term..? Oh right— ‘Demure’ I guess. Anyway, you're quite modest po.”

“Thank you po..”

“Unless you're creeped out by me.”

“No.. I am not creeped out at all.”

“Fufufu. Well I'm just messing around po.”

She smiles softly or rather awkwardly? She's not the only one feeling like that though. I don't know why I feel a little bothered by talking to her with ‘po’ and ‘opo’. I guess I'll drop it down.

“Anyway, is it alright for me to ask what you prayed for earlier?” Fumu. That's much better.

“Oh. I was praying for our safety.”

“Well, nothing bad will happen for sure then.”

“I hope so.”

“You haven't told me your name. May I know it?”

“Ah. I am so sorry I forgot,” she stretches her hand out. I'm assuming she wants a handshake.

“I'm Lucy.”

Should I shake her hand? Or should I kiss it? I wonder which one she prefers?

“Uh... Hello po mister?”

“Oh. It's not like I don't want a handshake. I am just wondering if I should kiss your hand like the old times.”

“N-no. There's no need for that,” she withdraws her hand away.

I notice that the passengers are looking at me strangely. And Eli-chan... Uhh... She's glaring at me.

What?

“Can we try it again from the start?”

“Err...” She looks uncomfortable. Well I guess I should stop.

“I am Mark. May I know your name young miss. Or are you perhaps a ‘missis’?” I stretch my hand out once again.

“No. A-Anyway, I'm Lucy.”

We shake hands.

“Nice to meet you Lucy.”

Not desiring to prolong our handshake, she withdraws her hands immediately.

“Likewise.”

“Fufufufufu..”

She is glancing back and forth from me and to somewhere else.

I'm making her feel uncomfortable fufufufufufu.

“!! Uhh..” The jeepney slows down so suddenly.

Lucy then stands up looking at the entrance of the jeepney at the rear, “You can sit here ma'am.”

“??”

There's a pregnant lady walking inside slowly. Her stomach isn't that too big yet so I assume it's somewhere between 4 to 5 months.

“Take my seat ma'am.” I stand up offering my seat to the lady.

“Thank you,” she nods gently at me while smiling wryly maybe because she feels guilty or something.

Lucy sits back to her seat. She's staring at me blankly.

“Oh well. I wanna be seen as gentleman. First impression matters. Please allow me have that honor, miss Lucy.”

I hear giggles from the passengers.

Lucy is looking around the jeepney feeling all the eyes on her. She hides her embarassment by looking outside through the open window.

The jeepney driver drives again. I grip the handle on the ceiling while looking down at the angry Eli-chan in front of me.

I lower my head so Eli-chan tilts her head away from me.

“Are you jealous?”

“!”

She is blushing either out of happiness or anger.

“Fufufufufu..”

She was glaring before but then she turns her head away with a rare tsundere ‘humph’.

Today [09/11/2023], I am revising the old chapters again. This chapter used to be Chapter 005.7: So Cold Part 6. I hope I don't cause any confusion.

15