Chapter 015: Things Aren’t Working Out Very Well [Part 1]
164 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I Don’t Need Any Help


Hmm.

Well this is new.

But I like it. I love sweets after all.

So having even one stall selling a sweet leche flan is favorable for me. In fact, they should have start selling this thing long time ago.

Whatever.

“Ate, how much po for one plate?”

After my turn came, I ask the busy middle-age woman who's wearing a dark blue apron. I was third in the line so I didn't wait that long.

“Fifteen pesos po sir.”

Oh. That's cheaper than what I anticipated. I thought it's at least twenty pesos each.

“Please give me three servings.”

“Okay po sir.”

While waiting for my order, I am wondering if my seatmate already invited her.

The vendor puts three leche flans on its respective paper plate into a plastic bag stacking them on top of one another.

Afterwards, after I gave her my payment, she gives me the plastic bag.

Now, it's time to hide near the designated location.

I sit on a wooden bench with a wooden table in front of it. It's hidden by a thick three and shading it from the sun as well.

I put the plastic bag on the table and glance at my five o'clock.

They should be here in any moment.

“!”

Oh. I see. She failed huh.

“Ah. Reverren you're here!”

A figure comes to my left side as I am looking behind me waiting for somebody.

“Hello there— Ohh, why are you looking at me like that?”

She's looking at me with sad eyes.

She didn't answer but takes a sit in front of me.

“You look so pitiful here.”

“Fufufu. What the hell that supposed to mean?”

“Hm. You're all alone here. With the rest of the seats filled with people, yours stands out very well. That's how I easily found you as well.”

That's true. Friends and couples are hanging out in this area. My seat which is desolated indeed contrasts compared to them.

“Besides, you're looking behind you like as if you're longing for someone.”

Well I was observing and waiting for you.

“I am very pitiful indeed so please tell me why are you the only one here?”

“Are you not going to treat me first?”

“Fufu. We made a deal, I let you copy my pre-test and you'll invite her here in the canteen.”

She pouts her lips.

“Shut it. I realized that I got taken advantage of. It was just a pre-test so  the score wasn't that important and what you said about ma'am Iris evaluating us was merely an speculation yet you...”

“Fufufu. Yet you was afraid to take risk.”

“Of course I would. Who would enjoy getting targeted by ma'am Iris?”

Me.

“Anyway, you exploited my fear so you must somehow give me some compensation.”

She looks likes a child that had been wronged.

“Very well. I'll give you one of my leche flans.”

“Hehehe. You aren't cold-blooded after all.”

She happily takes one of the plate from the plastic bag.

“So, why did you fail?”

She didn't answer but shoves a spoonful of leche flan into her mouth.

“Mm. Sweet... Well, you went to the restroom so you didn't see it, but she immediately ran out of the room.”

“You know where she went?”

“No.”

“Hmm. Give me back my leche flan then.”

“Hehe. Too bad. I already ate all of it.”

You eat way too fast.

“I see. Then please make sure to succeed this afternoon.”

“Just what did you do to anger her?”

“Misunderstanding I guess.”

“Not sure?”

“Yes. Because I think she wants something else and uses whatever that misunderstanding is as an excuse to get what she wants.”

“..........”

“..........”

“Hmm? Reverren, why are you suddenly silent?”

“Am I really that hateful?”

She looks at me strangely and then she nods her head afterwards.

“Thank you for the compliment.”

“Hehehe. You're very welcome.”

She stands up bringing the empty plate with her.

“I need to leave now. I need to finish watching Nisekoi today.”

“Alright.”

She waves her hand while walking away.

I look at the remaining two leche flan.

Now what to do with these?

I can't possibly eat both of them because I'll lose appetite for lunch. I still have something to do this noon.

My seatmate said that she immediately left while I was in the restroom. Did she do that on purpose to avoid me?

Fufufu. Most likely yes.

Hmmm? Somebody else is here.

Fufu.

Good timing.

I'll just chat with her. I need to ask her relationship status with Al after all.

“Mark-kun, what are you doing here all by yourself?”

A short girl with short black hair comes to me with a question.

“Hello there Mae-chan. Would you believe me if I say that I was waiting for you?”

“No.”

She answers without hesitation. She sounds like she's sure I was lying.

“I see. Please take a seat then and let's have a chat about your sunday.”

“Hehe.”

She chuckles softly before sitting on the seat where my seatmate was sitting earlier on.

“Please have this.”

I offer her one of my leche flans.

“Leche flan? We have this in school?”

“Yes. Look at your right. That's the store where I bought it from.”

“I see. Thank you Mark-kun.”

Mae-chan has a happy soft smile on her face. She eats the leche flan silently seemingly remembering something.

“Did you succeed of getting what you want?”

“!”

She's surprised.

“I'm sorry. I got absorbed eating.”

Really now...

“But... is it really fine for you to help me like th—”

“I already said it last time, Mae-chan. I don't care about it anymore. It's been a long time. Now I'm supporting you two.”

“Is that so? I see... uh... In that case, thank you Mark-kun. I was really being shameless when I asked you to help me to have a date with Al.”

“You're more than welcome.”

“Hehe. Well uh... listen, at first, we went to Dahlia mall and we're both feeling awkward. We couldn't talk nor look at each other eye to eye. However, when we were buying some stuff in the mall, that awkwardness eventually disappeared.”

She smiles to herself reminiscing their date.

“I mustered up my courage to confront Al. I was really afraid that time you know. Worried and anxious. I can't explain just how I was feeling yesterday.”

“.........”

“I asked him why he looks like he's avoiding me. Al didn't answer quickly which scared me a bit but... hehe. I feel really sorry for doubting him.”

“Why?”

“Didn't I just said that Al seemed like he was avoiding me? Well I was wrong.”

“...........”

“He just wanted to protect me.”

Hmm.

“I mean, Al said he got himself into trouble and he's afraid I'll get implicated. That's why he wants to distance himself from me.”

Distancing oneself huh. I'm encountering that frequently for some reason.

“Did Al told you what trouble he got himself into?”

Was that the thing he said when he tried to invite me into joining the gang he wants as a backing?

“Uh...”

Mae-chan smiles wryly.

“I noticed that Al looks reluctant to speak... So we'll, I didn't forced him. I just said to him to take care of himself and I'll just wait for him to tell me when he's ready.”

Then she stares at me.

“I'm just happy we're doing well now. Thank you Mark. I really appreciate your help. And I am sorry as well.”

She has an apologetic and guilty expression on her face. But I can see joy and gratitude hidden beneath that.

“I'm glad I am of help then.”

*RIIIIIIIIIIIIING~!*

The school bell is ringing loudly telling the people in the campus that the end of twenty minutes morning break.

“Ohh. Shall we go?”

“You go first.”

“Alright.”

She stands up picking up her remaining leche flan.

Then she looks me in the eye.

“I owe you Mark-kun. So don't hesitate to ask me for help.”

I glance at the remaining untouched leche flan before replying to Mae-chan.

“No. I don't need any help at the moment.”

Mae-chan glances at my leche flan before nodding softly. She then walks away.

Now it's time for me to leave as well. I wanted to eat lunch with Ma'am Iris. I know she wants to say something earlier this morning but she hesitated.

I have a feeling it's related as to why she wants to distance herself from me.

Because I was feeling lazy, it's been a while since I last draw something both digitally and traditionally.

So there have been no new illustration for this series. However, I finally got a wisp of desire for drawing.


PS: This is how I picture Iris—

Bloody hell. This is the second time I got a crush on my own drawing fufufufu.

5