Chapter 10 – The Offer
843 3 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was a knock on the door as the family was having breakfast. Alice and Peter and their respective partners and family were leaving today back to their homes and jobs elsewhere. 

Alice now lived in San Francisco and was an artist, while Peter was a successful Lawyer in Chicago.

"That's mine! I'll get it" Alistair said, opening the door as a senior looking man, perhaps a decade older than his father stood at the door. 

"Mr Ramsey, my name is General Thomas Ranquest. May I have a moment with you?" he asked

"Please come in" Alistair said

The rest of his family heard that he was a general and Mandy brought up her daughters to the room. 

"I hope you don't mind if my family wants to hear what's going on?" Alistair said

"Yes, it's alright." General Ranquest said as he was brought to the couch and offered a seat. 

"Would you like a coffee... tea... or a glass of wine?" Alistair's mother asked

"No. I am fine, thanks ma'am" the general said politely.

"So.. how can I help you?" Alistair asked as he sat opposite the general. 

"We...I represent a special division in the government. Our mission is to contain or eliminate threats beyond what normal military or police can handle" he explained

"Oh, like the SCP or MIB?" Alice interjected

"Ahem. Exactly like that, only we are the real thing" the General answered

"So what is the organization called?" Alistair asked

"With the internet, it is hard to keep things hidden these days. We are really called the SCP, but the MIB is also us. The public called us the Men in Black because that's our uniform, so it's descriptive, not our name. " he said, looking embarrassed.

"Ha I knew it" Alice said cheekily. 

"So tell me, what is this about?" Alistair asked

"Ok. I witnessed the CCTV tapes of the mall yesterday and I believe that you are just what we need" he said

"What do you mean?" Alistair asked

"As you know, five years ago portals opened from another world all over the world. Our world's militaries tried to stop the creatures from the other world from invading. 

We of course sent our agents secretly, and although we had the weapons, our agents were not biologically able to match the enemies found in the portals." he explained

"Weapons made by Norman Gates I assume?" Jennifer asked

"Actually no Mrs Gates. Your husband is a hack. We tried to use his weapons and it got many of my agents killed. Our weapons are from decades of research and development, which now includes energy from the portals.

For decades, we handled dangerous cryptids and phenomena at a trickling rate. But when the gates opened, we were overwhelmed.

Instead, Hunters started appearing and the government formed the Hunter Association to manage their affairs. This created an overlap in duties between us and the hunters.

But hunters act independently, and have formed their own guilds and teams, each with powers that make them rival the militaries of the world. 

This left the country with even more creatures and monsters that escaped the portals, giving us more problems than we can handle.

Our division sometimes hire the hunters to help with cases, but they charge an exorbitant fee and take no responsibility for finishing the mission." he explained

"So that's why you need me?" Alistair asked

"Yes. We've tried to recruit our own hunters, but the fame and wealth attracts most hunters away to join the guilds. Our organization is secretive you see. We can't be in the limelight.

And we can only offer salaries that match the top hunters to only a very few, So we are very selective" he said

"And you chose me?" Alistair asked

"Yes. You don't seem to use aura or mana. Your abilities are undetectable by other hunters. " he said

"How much are you talking about?" Alistair asked

"Not including bonuses for finishing missions, your basic salary is US 1 million per week" the general said

"A.... a million?" Alistair gasped, but his family wasn't surprised

"A S Rank hunter earns around that much individually" Jennifer said

"So, how many people are in this task force?" Alistair asked

"We have 6 people that would be working under you. They are awakened too, but only B and C Ranked ones" the General answered

"Oh. What do you guys think?" Alistair asked his family.

"Your future is up to you son. But you have to be careful as it sounds dangerous" his father said

"You will provide training, won't you?" his mother asked

"Yes, we will evaluate his skills to determine what training he lacks" the General said

"Then it's a deal. Just send me the contact and I will look through it" Alistair said shaking the General's offered hand.

He was itching for some action. The 3 days of peace without any fighting was driving him to boredom.

He didn't go to college and only finished high school, so his job prospects were limited.

But he was now offered a job that enables him to use what he has been doing for a thousand years, battle.

The general left and his family surrounded him, confirming that this was what he wanted.

He was allowed to spend a week before someone would pick him up to go for testing and training, so he spent the rest of his time with Jennifer and his parents.

He had a lot of modern living to catch up on. 

He went out with Jennifer for movies, ate more of the food he missed, and walked around their old high school to reminiscence their past. 

There weren't anymore vans filled with assassins, so Alistair left it at that, but he did secretly call the General who agreed to send protection to his house when he was away.

Finally, the week passed and a limo was sent to his doorstep.

He kissed Jennifer goodbye and hugged his parents too.

This was a start of a new adventure for him, and it seems like it was under his own terms.

A pretty woman with dark black hair walked up to greet him

"Hi! I am Venessa. I will be one of the members on your team" she said and saluted. 

"Hello Venessa. Pleased to meet you" Alistair said, loading his large bag into the boot of the limo. 

He gave Jennifer and his parents one last wave and left in the limo to his new life. 

25