Awakening II
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“In other news. The local fire department was called in to deal with a large fire that seemingly sprung up out of thin air under the decommissioned Rosenthal Bridge in the 15th ward last night," a male news anchor began over a holo-video within a car passing down the freeway. 

   "Authorities managed to find fragmentation caused by an explosive device as well as a set of footsteps leading away from the culvert. The SCPDs' official statement on the matter suggests an arsonist going coo-coo under the bridge and deciding to blow up the place." The news report continues as a woman with chocolate brown hair, rolled into a bun with bangs that covers one eye goes to remove her dark blue trench coat and toss it in the back seat of the vehicle followed by removing her black dress shoes and placing them on the passenger side floor in front of her before resting her feet on the dashboard of the vehicle. The driver, a bald man with chocolate skin, a goatee, a metallic eyepatch over his left eye, and who looks to be in his mid-forties, glances at her with his dark-colored eye. Annoyance was evident on his face as he continues driving the car and listening to the report. 

   "Many conspiracy theorists, however, are suggesting that it's not a crazy hobo under the bridge. But rather the shadowy organization, SANCTUARY, and the ever-elusive and frightening Technocytes behind the fire. Yeah, if you ask me, those theorists need to stay off that Hard Ice if you know what I'm saying," the news anchor mutters to the camera as if he was whispering straight to the viewer. 

   "Anyways, this has been Jorge Logan with today's news, stay safe, stay sober, but most importantly as usual. Keep living the life you wanna live in the city of riches Shiko citizens." The woman in the car lets out a chuckle at that statement.  And with that, the news was done, and the holo-video was cut and replaced with smooth jazz from the car stereo. 

   "How many times do I have to tell you to keep your filthy muttons off of my dash Beatrice?" The driver said to the brunette in the passenger seat while still looking forward. The woman wasn’t paying attention to the driver as she relaxed in her seat. The driver glanced at her once more and sighed as they came to a stoplight. "Soo, investigations got a quick look at those footprints found by the bridge. Whoever it was is not your average arsonist. The trail goes cold a few feet out from the bridge. Looks like either our guy is fuckin Houdini or…," He trails off in thought as the light turns green and he continues down the road. "If there's a chance it's one of them," Beatrice begins. 

   "We will no more when we get there Betty but I wouldn't get your hopes up about anything. Could end up just being some crazy hobos after all. Fuckers probably burned the place trying to make a fire to get warmed by." Beatrice looks over at her chauffeur. 

   "Why would hobos need to use hand grenades then if they're just trying to get warm?" Beatrice said to the man with a slightly amused tone in her voice. 

   "True," he replied. "Still what other logical explanation could there be for this incident?" Beatrice gets an amused look on her face as she closes her eyes. 

   "Who knows. Maybe those crazy conspiracy theorists are on to something after all." The driver laughs. 

   "Yeah right!" he exclaimed in amusement. 

   "For a senior detective, you sure have a closed-off mind. Shouldn't we consider every angle and possibility within this case Jay?" Jays' singular eye twitched slightly. 

   "Yeah, and Santa Claus is real," Jay quipped. "Besides…," Jay stopped whatever it was he was about to say in his throat. Beatrice though already has a good idea as to what he was getting at. Her eyes narrowed at the man.

   "Besides," she questioned. Daring him to continue. 

   Jay sighed, "Just forget about it." Betty "Hmphed'' in response then turned her attention out the passenger window staring at the road and cars passing by, then her reflection in the passenger rearview mirror before bringing her knees to her chest and sitting slightly curled up as she became lost in thought, unconsciously rubbing a small scar on her forehead. 

   She stared out towards the passing buildings and the steel grey sky above. This city, this piece of shit city field with all matters of crime and corruption has been the only home she's known during her 24 years of life. A home that has taken more from her than she can give. 

   'Something tells me I'm going to regret taking you on this case,' Jay thought to himself. He did not doubt his longtime partners' capabilities. Not by a long shot. But he'd be lying if he said she's the perfect candidate for a case potentially involving… them. He thought back to his younger years within the SCPD. He was just starting as a junior detective under one of SCPDs' finest. Senior Detective Yuri Moreau, Beatrice's father. 

   One day the pair were investigating a string of unusual murders within Shiko's Neon District. Last time Jay saw his old partner and mentor during that time he had come to him rambling about Technocytes and SANCTUARY like he was one of those crazy theorists. He couldn't find any of it to be true. What happened to him during their investigation period, he would never know. He wished he had listened to him. Next thing he knew the old man was dead. Found dismembered in his home just like the victims in their investigation. Leaving behind a traumatized daughter, who was the only sole witness to the murder, who would forever carry the mental and physical scars. A daughter that Jay promised his deceased friend he'd protect.

0