Prologue – The End
1.5k 15 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   I’ve been driving for quite a while now. The batteries are running low, I need to find a safe place to pull over and let the quantum solar panels recharge them.

   The road ahead leads to an intersection partially blocked off by long abandoned cars, and a few decaying buildings surrounding it. Of them there is a two story shop that has been partially flattened like a giant palm was pushed down upon it.

   Such a sight is concerning, but there’s hundreds of reasons for why you’d see destroyed structures nowadays.

   Slowing down I prepare to turn, and it comes into view. A mass moving at the side of my vision. A hulking creature covered in bones. The reason, behind the decimated building. A skeletal Juggernaut that is rapidly approaching my slowed vehicle. Even more unfortunate is that the Juggernaut is coming from same road I am turning onto.  Slamming the gas and spinning the steering wheel, I attempt to swing the car around the creature and escape. As my car makes the turn I feel it drifting as the back wheels have too much momentum. Turning hard in the opposite direction I over correct and the rear end of the car flies toward the Juggernaut,

The vehicle within is reach and he lashes out. His hulking arm empowered with his immense strength. The force of his blow causes the world around me to flip upside down. He’d flipped the car over, in-spite of this the car continues moving and towards yet another thing that was hidden behind the rubble, a dimensional rift, a tear through reality.

   If I hit that it'll cut through my car like butter, but I don't have a way to avoid it. My only option at this point is to minimize the damage.

   Curling up into a ball. I bury my head in my arms. I don’t feel the impact, but I hear it. The unique sound of metal being cut with one clean motion rings out. Only being comparable to the humming of a giant tuning fork. If that hum was more of an agonized scream. My body feels weightless.

   What are the chances, Rifts are usually one way doors that if you try to enter will spit you back out at a random location. However, this rift must be one of the rare few that open inward.

   Its dark here on the other side, with only the light coming through the rift behind me to illuminate the abyss and floating rubbish, mostly bits of what was once my car. Scanning the nearby debris, I see my water tank, some rubber tubes, and the most important invention in the last century, duct tape. Best part is all these things are within reach. Grabbing them, I have increasing difficulty breathing.

   This void must be airless the farther away away one gets from the tear, and I still have momentum moving me further in. Luckily the items I've grabbed are just what I need to survive this. Using my Oxygenator bionic implant I can use it to extract oxygen from the water. However, since it's meant for increasing oxygen intake from the air to increase it's saturation of the blood to recovery stamina, I'll only get enough to keep me awake but not sustain prolonged activity.

   Taping the tank to me, the tubes to it, and putting the tubes in my mouth, I am able to survive a while longer in this airless environment. Safe for the moment, I look back to see Juggernaut staring through and staring at me. It's size prevents it from chasing as the rift would cut it to pieces.

   Started with an announcement in the news that some scientists created a portal or rift to another dimension. Which lead to an invasion of otherworldly monsters and now I find myself on the other side of that portal, and there's nothing.

   The space is dark, but using my implanted night vision I can see debris and rocks floating about.

   A technologically advancing world with development of wide spread bionics and mutagenic gene therapy. Some believed the achievement of immortality would happen in their lifetime. But scientific avarice created prideful negligence which lead to one of the microscopic samples from the rift escaping containment. A self replicating black sludge reminiscent of the old movie The Blob. With the added horror if it eating victims from the inside as it transformed and mutated their bodies while puppeting them. 

   The air quivers and constellations of lights and veins appear in the darkness then fade like space itself is breathing.

   My eyes shift looking for something, "I need to find another rift to get out here."

   Or do I? What is there even left for me? Do I go back and keep injecting mutagens until I become one of those mutant man-eaters just to survive? I already have changed so much. My skin is green with a strange texture and my hair is like grass. Continuing to raid abandoned military bases and underground labs until I gather enough bionic implants to become a brain in a mechsuit?

   In the distance I spot a rift, but its so far away and my momentum is carrying me past it. However knowing this gives me some hope.

   I could try and find some remaining survivors, although with my appearance it may be hard to befriend them. Fortunately on that front most of my mutations are on the inside having flexible bones, a distributed nervous system, even better regeneration of flesh. Though not all have been beneficial. Acidic blood, it's a lot harder to stop the bleeding when its burning through your bandages. on the flip side I have acid resistant flesh. Then there's the barely helpful grass for hair which slightly decrease the chance I starve to death.

   Another rift passes by, but a disgustingly purple light comes through it making my instinct spike so much that I don't spare a thought for attempting it.

   Although with my bionics I could be of great use to any settlement. With the great plethora of them I have it's almost a mystery how they all fit inside me. although I'm fairly certain I've gained some centimetres in height and a good few in width. Only so much flesh can be scooped out and replaced I suppose.

   Returning my focus to my surroundings, I use my telescopic eye modules and see some island sized floating rocks, asteroid may be a fitting term for them, If not for having the appearance of just being pulled from the ground. However, when I watch them lines of stalks or roots quickly disperse hiding behind the island.

   I don't believe I am alone out here. Just try to avoid whatever that creature is, not that I can maneuver much in this zero-g environment.

   A rift appears with a black ocean and colorless sky. The ocean is dripping through as it's an entrance, and not an exit.

   Turning to look ahead I blink and something weird occurs, instead of the usual darkness of a blink I’m met with a bright white. Blinking again I’m met with the normal black.

   A possible visual glitch? I’ll need to run diagnostics later.

   With my vision returning a small green speck appears ahead of me. It's steadily growing larger as the minutes pass, until I’m finally able to make out what the green is. Its a forest that is visible through a tear.

   Its probably my best bet for getting out of here especially considering my tank is running low, and if its not an exit portal I won't be making it to the next one.

   Trying to readjust myself to pass through in one piece, the tear is slightly off course of my current trajectory. This is unacceptable. Removing the tape from the tank and holding onto the almost empty water tank with one hand, I ready myself to throw it. I’m close enough I can see the blue sky through the branches of the trees. I spit out the tube in preparation, however this further offsets my course. With even less time to readjust, I throw the tank immediately. Taking one last look to the void before it is gone from my vision.

 

37