Chapter – 5 First Talks
632 5 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   A few villagers are standing around. They whisper amongst each other, but little is actually said. I feel glad for having hid my original clothing in the woods. Because, even with my internal climate control it would be hindering to wear so many layers of clothing. My waiting comes to an end, and a large bearded man arrives pushing aside the crowd.

   Making his way to me. He announces, “I am Bil Trijen leader of this village, and who may you be traveler?”

   My reply is filled with pauses as I try to think of the correct words, “A   Forest   dweller.”

   He doesn't look to be satisfied by my answer, “From where?”

   Well I walked in from the west so it's best to keep consistent, “West.”

   The unsatisfied look doesn't leave him, “What is your name?”

   Not knowing the naming conventions of this area. I assume it would be for the best to avoid answering this question, and causing any misunderstandings. “Trees  need  not  names  for  talk.”

   Probably a bad idea to say something sarcastic.

   However, after hearing it Trijen's face changes to show contemplation, “Are you by chance a Rektu?”

   That is a word I haven’t encountered. Rek means tree, but the suffix tu infers spiritual connections. A Tree Spirit? I need more info. Best to use the old answer a question with a question, “How  would  you  know?”

   With a motion of his hand, he mimics removing a hood, “I need only see your face.”

   That's something I should try an avoid, “My  face  is  not  pleasant.”

   He confidently gives a rather strange reply, “A greater reason for viewing it.”

   I can't talk my way out of This situation. I was gambling on something like this not happening. If I run now they would probably pursue. I could definitely escape them. Problem is I’d be lost, in a land filled with unknown dangers. However, the situation of being on the run wouldn’t change all to much if they do see my face and chase me off. So lets raise this bet, I won’t fold this early on.

   Raising my hood, made from the head of a wolf-rat creature, reveals my face which elicits some gasps from the small crowd. Their response likely isn’t from my scars, but seeing my green skin, and grass hair. Though they have yet to display aggression or disgust, which is enough for me to continue my act.

   He speaks again, but with a more polite tone, “So you are one, have we wronged you?”

   Looks like I've been mistaken as this Rektu, “No.”

   Confusion spells across his face, “Then are you unrelated to curse having befallen us?”

   Curse? Such superstitious people, “I  do  not  curse.”

   Looking crestfallen he somberly responds, “That is good, but not comforting for our current situation."

   This does explain the general atmospheres of the village believing they've been cursed.

   Trijen continues speaking but in a lighter tone. "On a more immediate affair. What brings you away from your forest duties then?”

   Forest duties sounds like a rather isolated existence. Perhaps the need for human interaction would be a proper excuse, “Loneliness.”

   He gives a slight wave to forest, “Are you not a Rektu? and Did you not say the trees kept you company with their talk?”

   This Rektu seems reminiscent of the fantasy creature the dryad, “Trees  do  not  use  words.”

   A speck of hope glimmers in his eyes, “Then if you are to have peacefully taken stay, Mayhaps then your mystics can be of aid to us.”

   More superstition, “With  the  curse?”

   He nods, “yes.”

   Maybe I can help, but it won't be mystical nor free, “perhaps,  what  ills  you?”

   With a serious voice that almost sounds like pleading he says, “Our well has become tainted, drinking from it causes us pains, but we haven’t any other waters to source from.”

   This isn't the first time I've seen a place suffer due to water problems. As water it is one of the four basic needs, but that doesn't mean I can solve it, Although, “Hmm.”

   Turning to the well to draw some water. I see a bucket that is tied to a pole, with no crank available either for easy retrieval, I drop down the bucket. Retrieving the now water filled bucket I smell it. Since my Smell vision has been disabled, this provides little information. Gazing at the water I hesitate, but determine that unless the water really has been affected by magic, there shouldn’t be anything that can hurt me in it. Sipping some, I find the taste is metallic. Spitting it out, I turn back to Trijen. “Water  Imbalance.”

   I’m reminded of a settlement that had working amenities, but the pipes old and had rusted. They made a deal with me to find the replacement parts. This waters taste is like theirs, meaning it has too much iron in it.

   This is a well there should be no pipes to rust, so where is it coming from? Additionally, what could poison the groundwater without modern technologies? Could it have been something natural then? An earthquake that stirred up the water table? "Recent  ground  shakes?”

   Correcting my grammar he informs me, “earthquakes? No not since the expedition thirty years past”

   Without identifying the cause, I can’t provide a permanent solution. Although a temporary one is still possible, “I  can  not fix  this,  but  I  can  give  relief.”

   The expression of his face softens, “That alone is fine for now, but what will you require for helping us?”

   I probably shouldn't let them see me attempt this, "A private  place,  two  barrels,  one  with  water.”

   He clasps his hands, “We can provide that, if you can truly help us.”

   Negotiations are complete and my presence has become tolerated. I had expected the villagers to be more xenophobic. While waiting for the things I requested, a few of the surrounding people approach me. No one actually appears to have the courage to speak up though.

   That is until I am greeter by a rather youthful looking man with a smile, “Hello, I am Hane the resident paper maker.”

   This guys accent is different from from the others. “Far  from  home?”

   His smile becomes less vibrant, “Oh, you noticed. Yes I’m from the north, and I came here after having a falling out with my master.”

   North is pretty vague, the distance could be anything. Though with the level technology they have here any distance would be a hurdle, “Long  journey?”

   At this point his smile is all but gone replaced with a morose air, “Well, I just wanted as much distance from him as I could.”

  A familiar female voice comes from behind me, “Hey, It's my turn to talk with the dryad.”

  It's that teacher, what is she so curious about.

   Straightening her back she declares, “I’m Mari. You said you came from west of the village?”

   That is what I claimed, “Yes.”

   An eyebrow of hers raises with greater curiosity, “Through the Breathless Forest? How did you not get suffocated by the spores?”

   That would have been helpful information to have known before having made the claim, “Plants  do  not  hurt  me.” Although It's more along the lines that they can’t. Having genetically modified immunities to most biological threats tends to do that.

   She rolls her eyes, “I should of expected that kind of answer from a dryad.”

Expected? It sounds like she has Knowledge I need to know if I am to keep up this act, “What  do  you  know  of  my  kind?”

   She nonchalantly replies, “Only a story that’s been passed down.”

   Don't play coy with me. This is important, “Tell  me  more.”

   Showing her passion to teach, she adopts a joyous tone from my inquiry, “It's a child’s tale about the dangers of the forest and how a dryad takes pity on a lost kid and guides him to safety.”

   Trijen appears from around the corner of a house and cuts through the conversation, “We have a spare house you can use, along with what you asked for.” Turning he beckons me to follow.

   We head to the edge of the village, where there is an empty residence.

   “This is it.” He declares, gesturing to it.

   Heading inside, there’s no furniture, and it has a dirt floor as well. An impoverished building from a bygone era. I motion for him to leave and say, “Privacy.”

   Trijen nods his head and walks away.

   Now to purify the water. One of my bionics that is fortunately still working can probably do this. While I haven’t used my Water Extractor on plain low quality water before, It should work. Its meant for draining fluids from a corpse to produce drinking water, why some mad scientist decided to make this is beyond me. However, it should work on free standing water as well.

[Water Extractor]

   The water is sucked up by the bionic, filtered, and released into the empty barrel. The water is a large amount, and the process takes a while, but the task is done before half an hour has passed. Closing the barrel and taking it outside, I hoist it onto my shoulder in a feat of strength. Returning to the well, new faces have gathered. With the barrel sat down a burly man from among the crowd knocks on the larger house, out of which Trijen exits.

   Approaching the barrel he inquires, “What brew lies within?”

   The answer isn't as enigmatic as he thinks, “Clean  water.”

   Trijen looks to the woman that followed him out of his house, “Would you go grab one of the cups for me.”

   Acquiring it, he opens the barrel and fills the cup. He gives the water a swirl and takes a tentative sip. With a satisfied face, he asks me. “Can you make more?”

   Taking a glance at the barrel I consider it before saying,“Yes.”

   Looking to haggle over something in his mind he replies, “We can give a small portion of grain as payment for a barrel per day.”

   I've taken commissions before, best to start of by addressing his offer with a bit of incredulity,  “small?”

   He takes a rather down trodden demeanor at my words, “This is but a poor village, the most I can increase the amount is by a tenth.”

   I am not unreasonable, and as far as I can tell he isn't deceiving me about the finances of this village, “That  is  acceptable.”

   With us concluding the deal, other people begin trying the water. A bit of happiness is exposed from beneath the somber faces of those who taste the water.

   I have a place to live, and work so long as this problem of theirs goes unresolved. That aside living here will likely lend to a quite dull experience in the long haul. I’ve spent ten years drifting, while this place may be safe it won’t satisfy me. I've become a bit accustomed to 

Feedback would be appreciated.

28