Chapter – 7 When pigs fly
729 1 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   I'm reading a book, that was borrowed without the owners knowledge.

   Knocking comes from the door. It opens revealing the smiling face of Dalp, “I’ve found it, bit larger than a normal one, located south of here within a den of thorn bushes.”

   Keeping the book hidden from his view I reply, “Then I shall get my weapon.”

   The cudgel has been drying since yesterday, and should be ready. The end I damaged when processing has formed a soft hook on the hilt. Which after acquiring my small bag, made from the leftover pieces of pelt, was able to be hooked to the bag’s shoulder strap. The mistake was of benefit and not just a blemish.

   After setting out we start encountering rougher terrain. Making me thankful for wearing boots even if they're not as comfortable as sneakers. Due to the lack of cleaning the boots have accrued a fair amount dirt and added with a good level of wear, This has prevented others from noticing they're made of highly processed materials like rubber. The boots and footwear of the people around here are made from rough leather with wooden soles. Progressing further Dalp leads us to a clearing while passing through some mud, another reason I'm glad to have some good boots.

   At the center of the clearing is a crowding of wrangled and thorned plants that stand taller than twice the height of a man, Pointing to them I ask, “Are those the bushes?”

   Dalp with a cocky grin replies, “Yes.”

   Would've been helpful to know this is what he meant earlier, “Whats your plan.”

   He gives a shrug, “Its a plant in our way, that's your job.”

   The bushes look stiff enough that I could use my Resonator to make the dreadful plants shake themselves into pieces. But how Dalp would react? Seems like I'm falling back on my usual plan B of just resorting to brute force to solve problems. Which usually works as I’m plenty strong, but to uproot something this big I still need more strength. When flesh fails technology triumphs.

[Hydraulic Muscles]

   A dampened hiss emanates from beneath my skin. Latching onto a bush, I feel the many thorns impale against my skin. I am greater than them though and ignore the discomfort. The botanical oddity groans in protest as its roots are exposed, and with an intense power I wrench the so-called bush from the ground. A mass of dirt pours out from it's torn roots. Trying to empty my hands and wrench out its thorned hold on me, I’m knocked back.

   From the other side of the bush comes an annoyed whine. "Squee-"

   While being mostly blocked from my vision. It is obvious to me that the boar is responsible for this. Having charged at me without concern of the thorned bush, taking the most direct path. With my grip still on the bush, I feel the boars movements. It's become caught in the brambles of this plants many branches.

   Looking to Dalp, I see him staring at me. Taking in a deep breath I yell, “Its a boar, that’s your job.”

   Dalp relinquishes whatever hesitation had taken hold of him and unholsters his bow. He takes aim.

   Waiting for him to strike I focus on holding down a creature that’s well over three hundred kilograms. With my means of restraining it being a thorn bush that is also stabbing into me. However in spite of these aggravating factors I have become like a steel rod impaled into the ground as the beast’s movements remain locked down.

   Dalp releases the string of his bow. The arrow makes contact but has merely struck into the side of the boar. The strikes causes the loathsome beast to release a loud squeal while trying to push me further back. Dalp draws another arrow. Releasing it and again impaling the side of the boar.

   With a taunting tone I say,  “And your the best hunter in the village,”

   He strikes back, “Big words, from a dryad that has to uproot plants using his hands.” With another arrow drawn, He releases the string again. This time arrow hits something vital.

   As the boar squee's again before the sound takes on a sick gurgling. The beast thrashes about more violently with utter disregard for the thorns. Breaking free of the brambles.

   Feeling my grip become lighter, I empty my hands letting me clearly see the boars fresh wounds. The third arrow had sliced through the beast's neck leaving the beast bleeding severely.

   From the boars eyes come a gleam and its legs start lengthening with clicks, and cracks, before a final loud crunching is made. Its new repulsing visage is almost as unsettling as the giant compound eyes of the mutant insects I’ve fought before. Its torso has slimmed down looking gaunt, with the mass having transferred into extending and adding another joint to its legs. With the extra joints bending out to the sides allowing the legs to move outwards in the most appalling manner. With the new and possibly improved limbs it leaps, jumping a few meters back from me with speed unbecoming of its size. The beast changes focus from me, as it turns and skitters towards Dalp.

   He begins backing up, but the speed he moves at isn't enough to escape it.

   With my cudgel quickly in hand I charge. Being closer to Dalp I intersect the boar, and swing. My attack misses only brushing the hair of the creature as it performs another jump with its malformed legs.

   The beast hurdles through the air making a great distance before touching the ground. Closing the gap between it and dalp. With him in reach it begins rearing up its front legs.

   With my current speed I won't be quick enough to reach him in time. I need to be faster.

[Adrenaline Pump]

   My heart beat increase, yet it also feels slower. Running faster my eyes focus in, the surroundings become a blur, and the boar begins to slam down onto Dalp. With my new level of speed ti close in on the beast. Using my gained momentum I strike with my cudgel. Feeling the resistance of the hard wood hit flesh and bone. The noise of the beast front leg being pulverized and flesh being torn apart hits my ears alongside an agonized cry and a pained yell. With the beasts attack deflected and a leg broken it tumbles to the ground.

   Dalp has fallen face down in the dirt behind me. 

   He must've been hit, I need to bring this hunt to its end.

   Taking to the collapsed boar I raise my cudgel high and bring it down. The skull caves in from my strike with what I hope is the last sound of bones breaking I will hear today. With the boar surely dead, I rush to Dalp. getting to his side I find myself stumbling as adrenal fatigue sets in. looking at him closer, I see an impression on his back were the boars other front leg must have connected. Carefully flipping him over I can feel him breathing, but he is unconscious. Being unable to carry both Dalp and the carcass so I wait until he wakes up.

27