Recovered File – 3 Iron Field Journal
342 0 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Materials

- Book permanently opened, Infected with Mycus Ferrum Pila.

- Metal pages fused together.

 

Language: Elmanta

Writer: Karad

Title: Field Studies Vol II

Contents:

Left Page:

Revised notes of Mycus Strangulatus Pila.

Regarding the species of mycus native to the area that has been given the moniker of Breathless forest. Their layman term has been decided by the expedition party as Puffers do to the nature of the mushroom’s fruiting body when starting their propagation of spores.

Now listed are my condensed and accumulated findings starting with prior collected records from the surrounding areas with regards to the Breathless forest.

The oldest report is of a cartographer that was out surveying the land, for future expansions to the territory, when he first encountered the Puffers and perished to them. It wasn’t until the lord of that time sent out a search party to find him, that the existence of the Breathless forest was confirmed. Of important note is that the state of the recovered corpse was documented as having tree roots growing through it upon discovery.

No direct written records were made before that point. However there were verbal claims which were regarded with skepticism and never given further investigation. The proceeding records made on the incidents that occurred after, all notably offer the information that tree roots were always found to be growing into the body, and not mushrooms growing out of it. However, in the reports where the body has been left for an exceptional period of time whole trees  where found to be growing out of the remains.

With an established history of the area, it is now important to focus on the ecology.

Relationships between fungus and trees are fairly common. The nature of this one however, eluded me until I could properly inspect the local trees. It was of great interest when I found that the puffers only attached themselves to trunks of one specific species of tree. Of note about this type of tree is it’s propensity to reproduce exclusively by root suckers. Additionally, I believe this species of tree to be exclusively native to this area. As I have not seen documentation nor physical evidence of this species in any of my prior studies. Under the assumption that I am the first to study these trees I will be giving them a temporary naming of Root Risers, until I can return to convene with colleagues to assign an appropriate name in the ancient tongue.  

With the information regarding the areas local flora, I have come to form a hypothesis. The Puffers appear to have a mutualist relationship with the Root Risers. They release spores suffocating and infecting fauna that comes within range. The spores then wait until they come into contact with the roots that are seeking out the fresh nutrients. Upon contact they grow a fine mycelium layer around and through roots and the saplings that sprout from the remains. Leeching nutrients from the growing tree, the mycelium develops the fruiting body on the trunk of the Root Riser. As the elevated position allows the spore to disseminate easier. After the fruiting body has matured it waits until the mycelium still coating the roots detect disturbances.

Right Page:

Sketch of Mycus Strangulatus Pila’s fruiting bodies growing on it’s symbiotic neighbor.

Note scrawled along the edges of the page:

We are trapped, and now our lanterns oil runs dry, as we use it to protect us while we sleep. I don’t know why I didn’t realize it sooner that the spores are Oleo-phobic. Otherwise they would get trapped in the nose before they could even reach the lungs. If I had known I wouldn’t have bought this Hellion gear. When I got it I though it was a sign, as the gear is only able to temporarily turn a small amount cotton into steel. Useless for armor, but It was just what I needed to make a mask that could protect me in this forest. Unfortunately has been useless in the face of this cave-in caused by the Tenth.

End of Recovered File.

17