Chapter – 22 Close call with death
224 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   Sleep takes me as I lay on the piled straw in the stable.

z=Z=z

   Once more my hands grip the steering wheel, "I was thinking we could find a more permanent place to live, we can't keep travelling forever."

   In the passenger seat sits a brunette in her late twenties. She has green eyes and a lithe figure. She stays leaned against the window staring through it. She's the silent type, as most people are nowadays. 

   Her lack of a response doesn't bother me as I continue, "There's this place up north, I heard they where looking to establish an outpost on some farmland." Looking over at her she still doesn't show any reaction, "So we could maybe-"

   She bolts upright pointing at something in front of us, "Cain Watch Out!"

   Looking back ahead, there's a pink cow-sized monstrosity dashing in front of the car. Slamming on the breaks the car slows down, but it's not enough as the creature thuds against the front bumper. The car is brought to an almost immediate stop and the airbags deploy.

   My vision is spinning, but I still force my eyes to focus on her, "Are.. you.. alright?" My words are coming out in gasps.

   Shes slumped over and doesn't answer, but her chest rises and falls. 

   From in front of the car the monster begins moving, with one of it's many appendages stretching over the mangled car hood and through the cracked open windshield. The pseudo-limb passes over the dash. I can't move as it starts caressing me. The sensation of slimy sandpaper passes across my exposed skin. 

z=Z=z

   One of the Ogsrun is licking me with its ghastly tongue. Pushing the beasts face away, I see Donnor shoveling some fodder into a trough. 

   Taking a breather from his work he addresses me, "Gilliam said that if you're still here, I need to tell you to get going. You don't have time to waste laying about, and his generosity only goes so far as one night."

   Standing up I shake loose the dust and straw that's covering me, "I'll be leaving then."

   It's still the earlier part of the morning, but people are out and bustling about with whatever tasks they have at hand. As I don't plan on drawing anymore attention than needed my hood is pulled over my head. However, since my attire is made from animal hides and not the more cotton looking material of the general populace, my appearance still sticks out. Keeping to the fringes I navigate less noticed by on goers.

   My priorities for today are firstly getting work, this guild from what I can tell offers an assortment of odd jobs. Which is something I am well versed in.  Having been employed by various settlements, for what they weren't willing to risk doing themselves. The second priority is finding the church.

   Someone bumps shoulders with me, almost causing me to drop the jerky I've been chewing. They are wearing a hood as well, but theirs is more of a patchwork of rags. Without saying anything the hooded person continues past. A foul scent follows them.

   I don't have high expectations of hygiene for this place, but how can a person walk about smelling that horrid. Like rotten meat. 

   Making it to the guild, there are many people going in and out. However, now there are two people standing in front of the door. Watching the people that come in. Upon closer inspection they are the two that were talking with Crons last night. Their attire is also more battle ready compared to before, with them now being armed and wearing some leather. I don't know what they're up to, but I am still determined to head inside.

   With me approaching closer, the shorter one, Dorn holds out his hand with the palm facing me, "Halt, who are you?"

   Best to be compliant for the moment, "Just a traveler seeking to make some coin."

   He raises an eyebrow at that. "A traveler, we just so happen to be looking for a recent arrival to this town." He glances back at the taller man, Dirk. "A friend of my pal over there, said a dryad came into to town following along with Sid who was carrying a strange item for having come from the south." Resting his hand on the pommel of his sword he asks. "So, if you could let us see your face we can let you through."

   Someone moves forward from behind me and talks with an imposing tone, "What are you two scoundrels up to?"

   Dorn moves back losing his aggressive demeanor, "We were just investigating this suspicious fellow."

    The man who stepped forward is an older gentleman with a pointed beard and some grey in his hair, "The most suspicious fellows here are you two, scram before I start some investigative journalism of my own."

   Dorn takes another step back, "Fine, we'll be on our way."

   Dirk has an apprehensive tone, "But what about the head?"

   Dorn bites his cheek in thought. "Zeena is hardly someone who i would expect to keep her mouth closed for very long. Which is why the original sighting was probably reported to Alderman Harken before her. However, Sid's not the kind of guy to go behind her back like that. So I'm sure we'll find out if your friends claim is true soon enough."

   With the two slinking away, the older man turns to me, "I am Master Karus, and you are the dryad, correct?" Seeing my hesitation to answer he continues. "You don't need to tell me, I'm well connected with the people around here specifically the merchants. Since I'm the owner of the local newspaper, they make decent informants."

   From what he says it sounds like Gilliam sold the info that I was in town to him. Trijen was in the right, to not use their delivery service, "Thanks for the help."

   He gives a small smile. "I'm only repaying a favor, but I have work to attend to so I will be going. I've recently gotten a new apprentice to add to my troubles." Saying that he departs.

   Master Karus, I remember Artisie saying something about him. Not having exalted blood. Also the person I asked Artisie to give that book to. Perhaps that was the favor he mentioned. Oh, he was also a teacher to Mari. Who had asked me to tell him how she was doing... Which I forgot. I'm sure we'll cross paths again.

   Passing through the threshold, the interior of the guild is filled with people. Some are sitting around the tables holding discussions, a few are standing around, and others are lined up at the counter. Even though they all look to be acting independently, there is still a clear delineation of people belonging to different groups. 

   At one corner of the room is Jer, he is making a motion for me to come over. If he wasn't I would've easily overlooked him. He's sitting at a smaller table, only big enough for two people, "I had hoped you'd come by a little later, so I could have this reprieve for a while longer." He says sounding rather remorseful.

   I sit opposite of him, "Since I'm here already there's no helping that."

   From a pouch on his attire he retrieves a document, "If you sign this then your registration will be complete. I should've told you this yesterday, but until you build enough credibility with the guild, we can't give you our certification." Procuring a quill and inkwell from another pouch, he sets them on the table, "Which means you'll be more limited in choosing from the work we have available. However if you had some affiliation or worked under one of the masters you would be able to find more work."

   Sounds like the guild wont give me their seal of approval until they know for certain I'm trustworthy, but if I had some backing I could circumvent needing it. Not having either will make it harder for me to find a job. I suppose people here aren't as desperate to trust strangers to work for them, "Well even if it's a smaller selection, it's better than none." With the quill in hand and having watched Jer use it yesterday, I can roughly use it. If but only enough to write my name.

   Taking back the document, he looks it over, "The writings a bit poor, and the spelling is unusual, but I think this will be accepted." Sitting it down he continues, "Since you're new and also on your own here, i'll give you some more information on the current state of affairs within this guild. While this is called the Lindwel guild it would be better described as the undead battlefield guild. Since the battlefield serves as the sole source of revenue. Although the more valuable materials and ingredients from there are monopolized by the different crews" He points towards the people around the guild, "Speaking of crews, If you look around you might notice that people are split into different groups. That's because they work under different masters. The master serves as the boss of a crew, who is typically the strongest or the most competent."

   I met one of the masters around here already. Let's hope they're all as congenial as he was, "So that explains masters, but what about experts like Crons?"

   He leans back in his chair, "Experts are essentially masters that work under another master. When a crew gets large enough it needs more structured leadership, and in Expert Crons case he was actually sent here to expand the influence of the master he works for."

   All this helps with my understanding of this place, but it doesn't provide the answer of how I'm going to make some money, "So, how do I get work then?"

   There's a dampening in his demeanor, "Just line up at the counter, however without any affiliation the only jobs that aren't snatched up are typically labor intensive with poor pay. I'd suggest trying to get close with one of the crews. Master Karus owns the place just up the street with the sign that has the quill on it. You should visit there." Standing up he stretches his back, "As much as I'd love to sit here all day I need to get going before Harken sees me slacking off."

  

If there's anything confusing, tell me. I'm really trying to not just info dump all at once.

Also trying to figure out how I will explain the eight hundred year old battleground not being depleted of undead. I mean I have the explanation, I just don't know how I'm going to make it not be an essay explaining the history, ecology, political structure, and mystical qualities that have made it what it is. I didn't even get to mentioning the two major exports from the battleground in this chapter because then I'd also have to explain a bit more about how crews work and why it's possible for them to monopolize something that anyone brave enough to venture into danger could get.

anyways that's the end of the rant, feedback is always appreciated.

P.S. I know this dream sequence isn't directly relevant like the last one foreshadowing the use of a tool, but I still think it's necessary for setting up a future look into the characters history,

   

14