Chapter – 26 Newcomer at The Morning Meeting and Meeting New People in The Morning
169 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

    For a gold piece I receive a fourth of a loaf of bread with a light yellow cheese melted over it from the innkeeper. A modest breakfast that I consume while walking to the print shop. Opening the door the shop appears empty, but from upstairs I hear the clamoring of multiple people. Maneuvering through the scattered papers, the entrance to the office has been left agape.

   Standing in front of the diagram on the wall Karus spots me at the door, "So you join us for this morning meeting? Usually outsiders wouldn't be allowed to this but I've decided to make an exception this time."

   The room is more cramped then yesterday having ten people including me stuffed inside it. I recognize Narb and the individual he was working with yesterday. The other people standing around the room are wearing a degree of leather armor or cloaks with hoods giving off a strong scout like appeal.

   A taller person among the hooded group steps forward and speaks with a deep voice full of vexation,1The state of being vexed, irritated, grieved, or distressed; irritation; sorrow; grief; annoyance. "Why are you letting him attend? I worked under you for a year before I was let into these meetings! I was able to understand letting the girl in since she brought something so important to you, but he's an outsider who's done what?!"

   Karus stretches out a hand, "Calm yourself Connor, I have good reasons for what I do. As I was saying things are changing within the battlefield, the undead are passing into areas they haven't gone to in decades, and types that haven't been seen in just as long are appearing as well."

   An anger boils behind Connor's eyes, "And? We all know this! So why do you insult us with the presence of an outsider?"

   Of the group a female wearing a cloak reaches out and sets her hand upon Connors shoulder, "Please calm down, I know how you feel but lets keep listening. He wouldn't hold a meeting just to tell us what we already know."

   He softens relenting to the woman, "If its you telling me to do so, I can't help but listen my dear."

   Cutting through the sincere moment Karus coughs bringing the attention back to him, "Thank you Sarah, now back to the topic at hand. The 'Outsider' encountered a TreeCrawler. Which have been thought of as being extinct for the last fifteen years." He points to multiple spots on the diagram that maps the battlefield, "I've been checking the baits meant to catch the BoneStitchers, but none have been taken. For there to be a TreeCrawler there must be a Bonestitcher that made it. A BoneSticher on it's own shouldn't be able to resist the temptation to take the bait of the freshly killed animals I've left out. Which is why I have a hunch that there is a greater undead within the battlefield at this time."

   Connor scoffs, "A hunch? Based on the words of an outsider? Even if what he said is true, the TreeCrawler could've been one that's been in hiding. Which proves nothing."

   Rebutting Connor's words Karus continues, "There has also been the appearance of a SkeleClops with proof of kill this time. So the presence of a BoneStitcher is all but confirmed" A serious impression forms across his face, "and the last time there was an undead at the level to control BoneStitchers it took a team of fifty men with a Master leading them. With such a potential threat I have decided to bolster our ranks with outside talent. That being the Dryad Cain."

   Sarah exclaims with delight, "He's a Dryad!?"

   Rudely Connor comments, "Explains his attire."

   "Well maybe it wouldn't be surprise to you all if everyone didn't go around wearing hoods." Karus says with some exasperation hinting that this might not be the first time he's brought this topic up, "I'm setting up a special investigation mission, to find proof that there exists an undead that has taken command of the battlefield." He points to me, Connor, Sarah, and another hooded person, "You four will be carrying out this mission. Bring me the head of the BoneStitcher or the location of the commander should they have one. Three wholes for each of you upon completion."

   Connor questions, "Why us two and the newcomers?

   "The apprentice needs more guided experience and the Dryad is at the second step so he should serve just as good in combat as you. Which if my hunch is correct, and you encounter the commander on your own, you would have no chance of even escaping with your power alone." Karus takes his seat behind the desk, "The rest of you take to your usual work, now leave my office."

   Being closest to the door I exit first waiting to discuss the investigation with the other three. The place clears out and the four of us stand in the center of the first floor surrounded by bundles of paper. The silence is awkward.

   The unnamed of the group removes the hood covering her face, revealing herself to be Artisie. Looking to me she speaks, "What a nice surprise to see you again."

   Why is she here? "I thought you told me you were working under Zeena not Karus."

   She pulls back at my question acting ashamed.

   Before she gives an answer however Connor pulls down his hood exposing his dark brown hair and stoic shaved faced while he approaches me, "It seems you're already acquainted with the apprentice, but If you're to work with us on this then the least you can do is show us your face." 

   I fulfill his request and expose my face to the group, "There, are you satisfied?"

   He raises his brow at my appearance, but says nothing.

   Sarah on the other hand rushes forward causing her cloak to pull back. Her long black hair is braided, and peaking out from it are her ears which have a peculiar roundness to them. She stares intently at my face, "Wow you are a Dryad, I'm Sarah although I'm sure you already heard that. I also work for the apothecary in this town."

   An apothecary, something like a potion maker or just herbal remedies? I should check out the place at some point, "Have you actually seen a Dryad before, and what's with all the interest?" 

   She closes up, "N-No, but you're what I'd imagine one could look like, and well... Dryads can provide some unique ingredients, as the plants that grow from them are supposed to have special properties."

   Ingredient, maybe for a poison as my blood is highly acidic, "I don't think I can provide any materials with medicinal properties nor would I care to give away parts of my body free of charge."

   Artisie finally working up the courage to talk to me while almost forming tears, "I failed... I failed my evaluation and was kicked out from Zeena's crew. That's why, I'm working for Master Karus now." She wipes her eyes, "He decided to help me after I gave him that book you found."

   Failed that badly? Well she did heavily rely upon me to complete the job for her, and she broke her equipment, and almost started a forest fire. Yeah I can kinda see why they decided to get rid of her. "You're welcome for the book then."

   Connor moves towards the front door, "enough with the chatter lets get on with this. If there is a powerful undead it should be located at the center of the battlefield where the miasma is the thickest." Standing tall he looks between us, "If anyone needs to make preparations say so, otherwise we set forth."

 

Somehow I made a scene where the main character is just a set piece. whoops

Also I need to somehow get rid of all the hoods it feels repetitive, need to start mixing in some helmets.

10