Chapter – 30 Hand Holding Leads To Surprising Twists as Sparks Erupt
100 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   After wandering the town searching for the ragged man with no success, I returned to the inn only getting a few hours of sleep. With little rest I find myself late to the meeting once again.

   Karus glances at me entering and continues talking, "I only figured what the sample actually was after magnifying it. Somehow this is moss filled with miasma that is incredibly dense. While the plants in the battlefield have increased resilience to miasma they have never actually held onto it even after death." Taking the closed jar he hands it to Sarah, "So I'll need this to be taken to the apothecary for further study, as she has more insight regarding herbology."

   Standing before karus I speak, "I must take my leave for a few days."

   He raises an eyebrow, "A few days? Then you're not continuing your pilgrimage I assume. What business are you taking care of?"

   Should I tell him? Probably, he might be more empathetic to my departure, "I've encountered the man that robbed Hern, and I suspect he's kidnapped a child."

   He rests his chin in his hand, "You only met Hern yesterday, and while such actions against a child is disheartening it is hardly your responsibility. Why not inform the guards?"

   Because I must act and I can no longer be a bystander, "I have determined it is what I wish to do, additionally even though I haven't seen the guards in action I still believe he'll be to much for them. This man scaled a wall in moments and shrugged off a mortal wound. He also had a strange ball he threw that latched onto me."

   His chin lifts at the mention of the sphere, "Hmm... this ball do you have it?"

   I should have retrieved it but I didn't think to, "No, I smashed it into the ground and kept chasing the man. I don't have it, but it was deformed and fairly pail. The ball latched onto my foot after I tried kicking it, and refused to come off, if that helps."

   His brow perks at my description, "Yes it does, and I don't think you'll need cease your work with us as it sounds like you found the BoneStitcher. That sphere was an AnkleBiter from the sounds of it. A ball of ghoul flesh and teeth that bites whatever it hits."

   Connor eyes widen slightly, "You found the Bonestitcher?"

   From beside him Sarah expresses panic, "It was in the town, this is bad. My grandmother has told me stories of back when the undead would siege the town, of the terror and pain they caused."

   Karus's eyes lightly gloss over, "And you're grandmother is right. Those were terrible times,"

   Another crew member in the office voices his concern, "Then we must alert everyone for their safety."

   With resolve Karus gives a command, "No, they'll continue their hunt and if they don't catch him then I will inform people. Having the whole town embroiled into this will make the search harder and disrupt peoples daily lives." He looks to us, "Which means you should renew your efforts into finding the undead immediately."

   With a nod Connor opens the door, "Me and Sarah shall go to the apothecary with the sample, Cain and Artisie should start searching the town."

   We split ways at the entrance.

   Artisie cheerfully inquires, "Where do we look first?" 

   Not a clue, "After I lost him I wandered around a lot of the town without a hint of him, he could be anywhere."

   She pouts, "That's no good." Sighing she asks another question, "What makes you believe he kidnapped someone?"

   Honestly I don't believe it or at least I wish I didn't, "A hunch, but I also saw him exiting a house that was ransacked, and had no signs of anyone being there."

   "If you saw him there shouldn't we go and check the place since he might've gone back?" Her tone becoming upbeat.

   Criminals always return to the scene of the crime or so they say. I should have thought of that sooner, "There is a chance of that, I shall lead the way. And we'll check with Hern later too."

   Walking through the town observe the way for any signs of the Bonestitcher. While scanning the path I notice an iron chisel laying on the ground next to the entrance of a training field.

   Artisie from behind me asks, "Why did you stop?"

   I walk towards the entrance, "The Bonestitcher passed through here."

   She tilts her head, "How do you know?"

   Picking up the chisel I show it to her, "This is what I impaled him with."

   She looks ahead of us to the building behind the yard with the appeal of a medieval barracks, "This place is Zeena's base. She's not going to let you search through it."

   I doubt it matters who's place this is. They wouldn't like us going through it either way. But being Zeena's does open some doors, "You worked under her for a bit maybe you could search around?"

   The color drains from her face, "I'm not going in. If she sees me lurking around the place, I'll be wrung out like a wet rag. She despises people being indirect in their actions especially ones that could be against her."

   She hates indirect people that's useful info, "She's the confrontational type then I take it. I'll get her out here and then you can search around. Don't try fighting if you find him though."

   With her eyes closed she takes a deep breath, "Alright, I'll sneak in when you have her distracted."

   Leaving her behind I stroll into the yard filled with rough equipment made from unprocessed wood. Scattered about are few people practicing or excising. Spotting a familiar face I head over, "Greetings Sid, I'm currently tracking down someone, have you seen a person dressed in rags?"

   With a wooden dummy in front of him he wields two blunted axes. Speaking with an irritated tone, "Can't say I have, but I'm trying to train here. Leave me be."

   Stepping between him and the dummy I assert, "Not until I find the person I'm looking for."

   He flexes his hands grip on the axes, "Are you trying to start a fight with me?"

   A few of the other men in the yard start looking our way.

   I straighten my back, "If I must."

   He looks me up and down, raising his voice, "You're being ridiculous, Are you really planning to fight me unarmed?"

   A large door swings open from the building, and a woman with a towering figure emerges. She has the presence of a Norse warlord and stands taller than everyone by at least a half-meter. Her long blond hair lays back in a braided manner, "What are you doing?"

   I can only assume that she is Zeena, but you'd think people would make more mention about her height. She also responded faster than I expected. Didn't even cause a real commotion yet. Checking to see Artisie's reaction she has already disappeared from where I left her. 

   Sid points at me with an axe, "This man is harassing me and disrupting my practice. So I am preparing to deal him"

   Her steps towards us cause the dust to scatter, "This man, he's the Dryad isn't he?" Craning her neck she peers down at me, "What are you here for?"

   She really wields her size to intimidate others, "I've come searching for a man who has committed robbery and fled. I suspect he is here."

   The tone in her voice becomes grated, "Are you accusing me of harboring a criminal?"

   If she really likes people being direct then I'll be direct, "Yes."

   The yard is emptied with sound. Many have looks of disbelief including Sid who's eyebrows almost connect with his hairline. 

   With her mouth agape Artisie slides through the buildings open door.

    An intensity grows in Zeena's eyes before disappearing altogether, "HaHaha... That's rather bold of you. If you have such confidence then face me in a round of Ring Thief." Her voice drops, "Or you can find out the punishment for falsely testifying against me."

   The tension breaks and one of the men shouts, "Master Zeena has challenged the Dryad to a game of Ring Thief!"

   This is unexpected but helpful. I can use this to keep her here longer, "What is Ring Thief?"

   "A traditional sport of my people that traces back to the time of giants." She points to a circle of bricks laid into the ground a few meters in width, "The rules are simple push the other person out of the ring or nock them off their feet and no weapons."

   Sounds like sumo wrestling. If her size isn't just an abnormal trait then it makes sense her people would have a game like this. One that gives the advantage to the larger person, but weight also plays a role and I weigh a good deal more than I look, "I shall face you in the ring."

   She gives a toothy grin, "I'm delighted."

   One from the gathered crowd shouts, "The fool has accepted her challenge!"

   Sid walks past me heading to join with the group, "You would've been better off taking the punishment, could have walked away with only a few bruises"

   I can't imagine a sumo match being that dangerous, "What do you mean?"

   He gives me a look of pity, "Just make sure you put up a fight."

   Looking away from him I step inside the ring.

   She holds her arms out with her fingers outstretched, "It starts when we lock both hands."

   Putting my hands up to hers they are dwarfed in size, "Lets start then."

   Her hands squeeze mine with force.

   The pressure is uncomfortable, but that is all.

   Her face has a tint of amusement and her hands clench tighter their muscles bulging.

   The pressure increases in magnitudes and It's as though I have vice-grips being tightened around my fingers. If she is trying to make me squeal, I'm not going to let her get the satisfaction of it. I smile at her.

   Veins swell along her forehead as she turns red using more strength.

   My face twitches as I try to keep my composure. She's using enough force to break bones, if it wasn't for my skeletal bracing I'd have broken fingers, "I thought this was game about getting the other person out of the ring?"

   Her grip weakens and she breathes deeply, "It is, now that you've earned the right to it." Leaning forward she leverages her body and pushes.

   Of the people gathered one voices his frustration, "Damn, I was betting he'd have his hands broken."

   Sliding back I instinctively widen my stance holding my ground. 

   Flexing she puts forward more effort but fails to move me, "Why are you so heavy, do you eat bricks?"

   My soles press deep into the ground, "It's one way to have square meals."

   "If this is still no bother for you then how about I use a first step technique." The power behind her increases.

   My legs buckle against the increased force and I get pushed closer to the edge of the ring. She has somehow gotten stronger, I need to keep up with her.

[Hydraulic Muscles]

A hiss comes from inside my limbs, and I push back. Regaining my loses. 

   "So you know how to use your spirit to enhance your strength as well. Then how about a second step technique using my aspect of twirl." Her arms unnaturally twist without regard for the human skeleton. She shows no discomfort and her hands that are gripping mine begin turning.

   One of the crowd recoils, "I hate when she does that it's just so sickening to see."

   With a punch to the shoulder the man besides him rebukes, "Who cares, get over it." 

   I am unable to stop the twisting of my arms, and they hurt as they are overextended. I grit my teeth. How is she doing this? My arms are going to be dislocated at this rate! Think, She said aspect? I told the guild my aspect was lightning, maybe I can use that.

[ElectroShockers]

My hands ignite with electric arcs.

   The twisting ends and her arms spasm returning a more normal position. She painfully grins, "What an unusual Dryad you are. But you will lose. I'll be using third step now." The ground where she stands twists slowly spinning. 

   A man from the sideline exclaims, "Now he's done for!"

   Her grip pulls me to the side and my feet slide. This is ridiculous. I hope Artisie has found something, because I don't see how I can drag this on much longer.

   She watches me struggle to maintain my balance, "So you're only second step then?" With a strong jerk she fully breaks my stance.

   My feet give way and I topple. This is it I guess.

   With wrenching force she tosses me outside the ring, "Never show your face here again." Her voice booms.

   The crowd hollers celebrating her victory, but among them Sid gives me a slightly impressed look.

   I'm grabbed from behind, "I found something, so we can leave now." Artisie tells me

   Getting to my feet I reply, "Just in time."

 

Just realized this chapter might feel like I'm emasculating the main character for women empowerment. This wasn't the intention. This chapter is meant to introduce a variety of things, one is that Cain doesn't win every battle, there are more than just standard humans, and a bit of show not tell for how some of this worlds magic works.

But mainly I felt it would be more believable if Cain was able to hold his ground against an almost two and a half meter woman than a man of the same build in a contest of strength.

Also don't think I built the atmosphere for the scene that well. Mainly the crowd. Its just hard to find writing material on how to do it optimally.

I try really hard for the chapter titles.

Spoiler

Trying to build up Zeena's character as it plays into other parts of the world. She's ruthless and only respects strength and competency. Which she learned after being exiled from her tribe for have cursed blood/(exalted blood) Or at least this is how I've planned her out. Unfortunately I'm still working the full story thread into the greater context of the plot. So this is subject to change.

[collapse]

 

8