Chapter 3
924 4 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“No, that’s not possible.”

 

She said that with a troubled face. Almost like she wasn’t prepared for such a question. Then there was silence again. Everyone looked at her in disbelief. But she confirmed it once again with a few words.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

With that, her usual graceful manner returned, like the question never was asked. When everyone finally received the message about being summoned to another world without consent and no way to return, they began to open their mouths again. But before even words came out, the messenger spoke first. To interrupt them and probably to keep everyone calm after the bad news we have just received.

 

“I understand that you’re not happy about being brought here. But you were chosen by the goddess to aid us.”

 

Then she took a small break to look at the upset students. I could feel that my classmates calmed down a bit, but we still wanted more of an explanation. Maybe even a solution to our situation and to go back home. 

 

When she felt the stares of us looking at her and got the message to explain our circumstances further, she continued.

 

“It’s not like you were brought here unprepared. As I said, while you were summoned, you all received a gift. With that, you unlock your full potential that is not available to use in the world you came from.”

 

With these words, most of us relaxed more, since we were brought here without any ability to fight or to defend ourselves. Some got even excited to be a hero, but most still wanted to go back home and want nothing to do with their wars. But the question now is, what should we do or where to go, in this strange, unfamiliar, new world. Thus, new questions were raised. But like always, the messenger had already read our minds and answered.

 

“I know with my answer I raised more questions than I have given you an answer. First, I would like to inform you, we will of course not send you out without any training. You all will be assigned to high-ranking mentors, who are all specialists at their designated affinity class and will train those that have the same. Second is that we will also provide you with housing, food, clothing and anything else you need. Lastly, the emperor will personally greet you after we have visited Adaumons Tower.”

 

Now that we have heard that we will get taken care of while we stay here, everyone is now calmer. Most of us are going along, for the time being and trying to figure out everything that happened and will happen. But it’s still suspicious that she was surprised when we were asking if we could go back to our world and she was still explaining to us that we have to be trained before we can fight, as we have no choice in that matter.

 

Since the class was now calmed down and more open to the concept of this new world, she stepped forward. She then pointed her finger to the left, where a narrow path leads through the ominous forest. I could see that the people who had summoned us and the healers, already packed everything and were going to the path to leave the summoning platform. 

 

“We are ready to go. On the left is a path that leads through the forest and on the other side is an escort who will protect you until we have reached the mansion where you will be living. But we will have a quick stop by Adaumons Tower to check which affinity class you have. Of course, I will guide you the whole way and you can still ask me any question if you have one. One last thing, this is very important, don’t stray from the path, we don’t want you to get lost.”

 

She went light-footed to the path and stopped at the beginning of it. A few of the healers and magicians, which I assumed they were, were waiting with her for us to come. She turned around and looked at us, indicating to follow her. None of us moved, but after some hesitant seconds a few started to get going, then everyone else was following their example. It’s probably the best chance of survival, and she said they will take care of us. So, I also decided to go along, for now.  

 

With everyone moving, we went into the strange forest. Cecilia didn’t move from my side the whole time. Even when her friends called her to join their group, she ignored them. The cheerful girl was nowhere to be seen, just an anxious one who doesn't know what to do for now, except to go along with the messenger. 

 

The forest gave a strange feeling, like there was something powerful hidden deep inside of it. Maybe even the forest itself was the powerful being that I felt. As it was one organism, passing information through its roots to the main host. Sometimes I could even see some veins that faintly glowed in a light blue. Pulsating through the trees and sending it to the next one, until it reached its destination. But the most alarming feeling was, in the already strange forest, it was like they were following us. Not some animals, since there weren’t any, not even insects, but the trees.

 

I looked to my classmates if they feel the same as I do. But most were just chatting and didn't even watch their surroundings. Except a few, who were watching into the deep forest with an uneasy face. As I was analysing the forest further and trying to calm me down, I felt a light tugging from my sleeve.

 

“I don’t like this forest.”

 

I heard Cecilia softly. I looked at her white-blond hair that was hiding her face from above. Furthermore, I was trying to find an answer which can ease her a bit. As I was trying to find one, she spoke again.

 

“It’s the trees. I can see them speaking. Watching us carefully with every step we are taking.”

 

“See them speaking?”

 

I answered her quietly and was a bit puzzled by what she just said. I looked at the forest again, I only could barely see the blue pulsating veins. Are they communicating through these? It gave me some chills and I just wanted to leave this unwelcoming place. I looked back at her and saw her eyes this time. Strangely, they weren’t her usual intense green ones, but white ones. I could see light blue veins pulsating through them, only seeable if you looked directly into it and focused on the iris,  like the ones in the forest. 

 

Now even more puzzled and worried about what happened to my childhood friend. I wanted to take her to the side of the dirt path and maybe even ask the messenger for help. But before I could do that, she stopped me.

 

“Don’t. We shouldn’t stray from the path. The forest won’t like it. It’s only allowing us to pass through it as long as we are on it.”

“How do you know that? Is everything alright?”

 

I asked her a little forcefully and looked directly into her new white eyes. She looked back at me, and her face was now full of concern for my questions. 

 

“Yes, everything is alright, but I feel my senses are sharpened. Especially my eyes. It is as I can see directly into a… I don’t know what but in the insides of everyone and… It’s weird. Hard to describe. But I can see that you are deeply worried right now.”

 

Maybe it was one of those gifts that we were told we all got. But it still seemed very strange to me. She can see into the inside and even her eye colour changed. I took her hand and dragged her behind me and pushed my classmates beside me while I went to the messenger. When I reached the front, I saw Lydia talking with her. Like most of the students, she comes from a wealthy and influential family. Cecilia went along with me the whole time and I broke off their conversation. I pushed my childhood friend in front of me and asked as calm as possible. 

 

“Can you tell me what just happened to her?”

 

I pointed to her eyes and looked at the mature woman. Lydia looked surprised and shocked at the same time. Almost flipping out, like the hot-head she is. However, the messenger had a complete opposite reaction, as she was already expecting such a scenario. She had a small smile and answered in her grateful manner with a bit of joy.

 

 “As it seems, you two have already awakened your gifts.“  

 

Her answer solved one, but opened new questions. I looked at the confused Cecilia, who still hadn't a clue what was going on. My hand went to my pocket where my phone is to show her changes. But my pocket was empty, I searched my other pockets and even the ones in my jacket. How could I miss that I have had none the whole time, even worse, all my belongings, like my keys or wallet weren’t there. I guessed in the process of the summoning they were removed, so I decided to explain it to her. Before I even could do that, the messenger spoke again and took a little mirror out. 

 

“Look, the change of the colour is proof that you have already awakened your gift. I was told that it could take a few weeks to awaken it, but it looks like we have summoned some talented people. Five others have already awakened it too.”

 

Cecilia, who was still consumed by the mirror and was staring at her new eyes. When I asked another question, to finally get some answers about these mysterious gifts, she broke out of her trance to listen.

 

“What are these gifts? More exactly what they do and why did it change her eye colour?”

 

“To put it simply, it’s magic. It’s like I said, a gift from the goddess to welcome you and not to let you come here empty-handed. Everyone has it, but not everyone has an affinity, but you all got a guaranteed one. What they do, depends on what affinity you have. Some of you have got an elemental affinity, an enchanting one or even a special one that can’t be defined to other classes. And to answer your last question, why the colour of your eyes are changing, the veins where your magic runs through are pretty close to the surface of your eyes. And because of the influence of the magic, the eyes adapt to the colour of it.”

 

I was speechless, and so was Cecilia. We witnessed the summoning and I was already suspecting that magic exists in this world, but it still staggered me a bit when she confirmed it. Even more, we now have the ability to use it. When I processed through all the information I just received, I went on with my questions and I saw her already waiting to answer mine. 

 

“You said everyone has magic but not everyone can use it because they don’t have an affinity, how does that work?”

 

“Mhh, you took the information quite well, relating to the others.”

 

She mumbled to herself loud enough to just hear it. She looked back at me with her galaxy filled eyes and spoke again.

 

“Ohh sorry, don’t mind what I just said. Yes, everyone can use magic, but the ones who don't have an affinity can’t for instance use earth or healing magic. But they can let the magic flow through their body and into enchanted objects, like a sword or a magic stone. For example, when a warrior uses a magic sword that is enchanted with fire magic, when he flows magic into it the sword bursts into flames. Sadly, only a small percentage of humanity has an affinity, but that is not something you should worry about, as you all have a guaranteed one.”

 

I went into my thoughts with words she said, but was interrupted by Cecilia.

 

“Ms. you said something about classes earlier, I’m curious what you mean by that.”

 

“Please call me Midne. Classes are just a term, you can use categories, whatever fits for you. They are just like a tree branch. We put magic affinities into one category that have similar characteristics. The simplest one is the elemental class, like fire, earth, ice and light. There are other classes, like enchanting, summoning and the rarest one special class, there are of course a few more. But we will be able to find out which class you have, once we have it checked by the special magic orb that is inside of Adaumons Tower.”

 

Not long after our conversation ended, I could see the end of the path. The trees slowly became less every step we took and finally let the rays of the sun go through them. The Path became wider and smoother to walk on. When we finally reached the end, there was a paved road. The magicians and healers who were in front of us spread out to the sides to let us leave the forest and enter the road. 

 

I stepped out of the forest and onto the pavement with the rest of my class. Once we have adjusted to our open environment, we stopped our movement immediately. Silver, with golden and purple ornaments, knights were surrounding us. Each one with a kit shield as tall as themselves, who were all at least around 1.90 metres. In the middle of the shield was a dark violet eight-pointed star with a gap between each angle which led to the centre where a golden circle is placed. The knights were in full heavy armour, with no gap exposed except for two slits on the helmet for the eyes. The other hand was occupied with a halberd that ended above their helmets. Except a few who were holding a banner of their symbol instead of the halberd.

 

They didn’t move a centimetre, just were waiting in their posture. From the middle appeared another knight, but his armour was a lot heavier decorated with dark purple and golden ornaments. He looked like the captain of these knights, and when he stepped in front of us, he began to speak. 

 

“Welcome heroes to the land of the Evandari Empire. We are sent by his majesty to ensure your safety until you have reached your final destination. Please stay close so that we can do our duty.”

 

After his little speech, the knights encircled us in a rectangular formation, with their shields pointed to the outside. The leader was inside, near the messenger and the ones with the banners stood in each corner. Then we went off to the capital and the knights were in rhythmic marching with us in the middle. With the knights being too tall to see anything from the side, you could only look above. The sky was almost like the one from my world, except the sun had a tint of red and so did the sky.

 

Cecilia was surrounded, like the other fives, by our classmates because they have already awakened their magic, which normally would take a few weeks before that would happen. Because of that, there lingered some jealousy in the air, but also admiration, and prepared them for what would later happen to them. When I thought about my talk with Midne I remembered something I overlooked at first, when she answered one of my questions. 

 

‘As it seems, you two have already awakened your gifts.’

 

But I can’t remember to awaken it, and nobody told me that I changed my eye colour. The only unusual thing that happened to me was when the finger released this strange power inside of me. I tried to remember the feeling I have had and searched for the power. I could feel it immediately, the power pumping through me. Strangely, the magic felt already pretty familiar, as I have possessed it my whole life. That properly explains why I didn’t feel it when I first landed on the platform. 

 

With me in my thoughts and trying to experiment with my newfound magic, everyone got excited to reveal what their affinity is and when they can awaken it.

21