Chapter 10: Suddenly, A Serious/Edgy Side Story
332 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My father is a king. He is a king because he cares about his country. He cares about its safety. He cares about its finances and the alliances he’s made. He cares about the country and protects it with all his might, both on the physical battlefield against enemies and the political battlefield within his lands. I don’t care about the country. I learnt that when I looked out the window and saw it on fire, and felt nothing.

My mother is a queen. She is a queen because she cares about the people. He cares about their wellbeing and will fight against my father to ensure they can live better lives. If my father is the mind of the country, then my mother would be the soul. She cares about the people so much, she’d sacrifice herself to save even one person. I don’t care about the people. I learnt that when besides the fires were people screaming for help and felt nothing.

My sister is a princess. She is a princess because she is the daughter of royalty. Unlike father and mother who care about big things due to their positions, sister cares about only her family. She cares about father and goes on about how strong he is. She cares about mother and goes on about how loving she is. She cares about me and goes on about how she thinks I’m cool. I don’t care about family. I learnt that when the assassins in my room told me they had killed my father, mother, and sister, and yet I can’t recall their names.

I am a prince. I am the eldest son and thus the heir to the throne. I am supposedly crucial to the future of this kingdom, and the maids that take care of me tell me daily. They tell me to care for myself like how my sister cares for me. They say I should care, and I should start with myself. I don’t care about myself. I learnt that when the Foxkin in front of me said she was here to kill me, and despite the threat, I feel nothing.

The Foxkin assassin was on top of me on my bed, illuminated by the bright fires outside. With a petite figure and a bushy tail, it was hard to imagine this was an assassin, but that spite-filled look on her face told me she was the killer. To my neck, she held a dagger, one decorated with golden accents. Three other presences were in the room. Looking out the window with a bow in hand was an Elf in a maid dress. A traitor, as I could recognise that face. Not the name, however. I did not care about the maids, after all. She observed the outside with the most serious of expressions.

On the opposite side of the room, near the door, was a witch, with clothes that revealed her entire leg, most likely to allure others. She was sitting on an invisible chair, floating above the corpse of the maid that took care of me. Unfortunate for her. The witch was eating something rectangular. Most likely, one of those food bars I heard was being produced in Natas. The witch had a smirk on her as if she found this whole thing entertaining.

In the darkest corner of the room was the third presence. Covered in a hood and with a scythe on their back, they were completely still. I could see no movement, not even from breathing. Well, I don’t care enough to continue observing them. Most likely capable of sleeping whilst standing.

“Prince Argus Kascius, I am here to kill you. My name is Ruby, just that. I come from Natas, a neighbouring kingdom. Your father waged war, and so my father was slain. Your mother refused refugees, and so my mother was starved. Your sister had selfish desire, and so my brother was sold then thrown away. Although you have done no evil, you have done no good either. You stare blankly at all evils with those empty eyes of yours. You choose to not impede such acts and thus are equally as guilty.” said the Foxkin, with a tone that betrayed her looks. Filled with contempt and spite. I see so she cared about her family too, just like my sister. Interesting. “Any last words?”

I ponder about it. What do people say for their last words? Something to their family? Their friends? Their loved one? I have nothing of the sort. I hear people curse their killers, but I don’t see the point in doing that. I guess I have nothing to say. “No,” I replied, and on her face was an expression of utter surprise.

“Are you sure? This is your last chance to say something, anything.”

“I have nothing to say.”

“Maybe you’re the real monster of your family,” she said, with a look of pity.

“What makes you say that?”

“Those empty eyes of yours, I see nothing in them. It is devoid of anything, like a monster. At least your family members had desires.”

“I see.”

“There is no reason for you to exist. Now die.” The Foxkin lifted up her dagger above her head, but before she could slam it down, the witch had appeared above her and grabbed hold of her hands.

“That’s enough, dear.”

“Deli?! Why? He has to die!”

“Sorry, but we’ve got to keep him alive.”

“Why?! Why why why?!”

“Because he’s the Mask of Apathy.” Oh, she knows about one of my Titles. A high levelled witch with Appraisal. Explains how they got through the guards.

“H-he… he’s a Mask too?!” 

I see.

I wrote this for a lot of reasons. I suddenly felt like writing something serious. I recently read 'Kumo Desu Ga, Nani Ka?'. I only had plans for future events and not current events for Golem and currently stalling while I think stuff up. This was actually the initial idea I had for a reincarnation story but scrapped it, but I still thought it up and might as well use it. I wanted to write in a foxgirl assassin because every story should have a foxgirl assassin. There's others, but I just felt like I had to share a few. Oh yeah, gonna do a poll for side stories, so please answer, it'd be appreciated.

Side Stories?
  • Every 5th chapter. Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Every 10th chapter. Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Whenever you think up of one. Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Only when suspense needs to be built. Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Maybe 1 Side Story after every arc. Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No side stories, please. Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Side stories, but only about Bee. Votes: 8 30.8%
Total voters: 26
11