1.17 – Kaiden – Grand Tour
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So, I’m good to go right?”

“No, my child, you were almost drained completely of blood,” Miss Dalia said throwing her hands in the air.

“I get that, but that was then, this is now.”

“You need to take it easy. You can’t just rush out into the world because you feel better. By rushing you miss the things that are right in front of you. It is good to put your heart into your goals, but do not rush past them before you are ready. There may still be long-term effects we are not aware of yet.”

“I mean, what are the odds something bad will happen? Besides, I got faith in you Miss Dalia.”

“Mother Dalia, I’ve told you it’s Mother Dalia. Are you listening to anything I’ve been trying to tell you?”

“Yes Miss Dalia.”

“Kaiden, you are going to be a handful and I’m much too old for it.”

“I am so not a handful. I’m super chill,” I have no idea why she would think I’m a problem. I haven’t even been here long enough to do anything.

It’s good that I’m healthy again. They told me I was a thrall for a while. A few years actually. I don’t remember any of that. Supposedly a thrall is someone that’s under control of vampires. That’s something they do. All I know is, that’s not cool, and someone should do something about it. That someone might be me because nobody else around here seems to worried about vampires just abducting people, draining them of blood and making them mind slaves. That’s not normal, and they’re acting like this is no big deal. Not that I’ve talked to a lot of people, but the ones I did, aren’t worried at all. This is a big problem, and it needs to be handled.

“Kaiden, did you hear me? We’re going on a tour of the grounds,” Miss Dalia calls from the door, hands on her hips. She is really sassy for an old woman.

Miss Dalia spends so much time walking me around this ancient looking place. It’s like a little city built around this huge temple that I’m not allowed to go into. Why would you build a huge temple if people weren’t allowed in it? Isn’t that what temples are for; for people to worship. Apparently, I’m going to have to go to school somewhere around here. That’ll be fun. School has never been fun so maybe these people stuck in the past might make it more interesting. I might learn how to build a house instead of find the radius of a circle. There’s a bunch of super killer monks here so there’s still some potential.

“Hey, when do I get to learn about killing vampires.”

“When you are seventeen, if you choose that path. However, that is not our only way of life,” Miss Dalia says.

“Why can’t I go into the temple?”

“There are many temples here you may go into. The large one, you may not go into unless called to be one of our religious or political leaders.”

“That’s stupid.”

“Boy, when you are a guest in someone else’s homeland you follow their customs and do not make such bold judgements like saying things you do not understand are stupid,” she looks ticked off.

I just walk and listen to the rest of the tour. I don’t ask any questions, and only speak when she speaks to me. I don’t want to make an enemy out of her because I know how old people can be when you ask too many questions. She seems like she’s got a little power around here so maybe she can speed things up for me. I wonder if she killed a bunch of vampires too. She probably used to run around with a musket taking out vampires. An old but deadly woman, I respect it. She’s could probably kill me and no one would know.

“Look at that statue. What do you see,” she says pointing to one of many in a small park.

“I see a person shaking hands with a pointy eared person,” I’m not blind.

“No, that is a statue of the men who founded this place. A man, and an Elf who granted him the land in their sacred forest.”

“So, Elves are real? Like in those movies with the evil ring. Then the Elves and Dwarves go on a trip to throw it in a volcano with the wizard, who could have probably used his magic to get them there quicker, or his giant birds,” she seems annoyed so I stop talking.

“Very, creative mind you have there; but yes. You’ve met some since you’ve been here although you may not have noticed. Elves, Orcs, Goblins, dwarves and more are all real. How can you accept vampires so easily but not others? You have a one tract mind.”

“So, the founders? What’s their deal,” I had to get her back on topic.

“Centuries ago, the world was not as it is today. It was a world at war. Humans fighting Elves, werewolves fighting Orcs, vampires draining us all. Goblins and Dwarves fighting for control of mountains and caves. There was death and despair everywhere one could see, and worse in the places that could not be seen. This place was founded as a place where people of all races and species could come and live together without violence. In time, the rest of the world grew peaceful, but it was not without casualties. Still, there were those men and creatures that would harm innocents. That is when our people picked up arms and cast spells to defend those who could not defend themselves. It was not just vampires they fought, but werewolves, orcs, humans, elves. Anything or anyone that would harm another with no remorse. Today we still carry on that mission,” Miss Dalia finishes wiping a tear from her eye.

She finishes up the tour at her favorite restaurant and insists I have dinner with her. She makes me order from the kid’s menu although I’m closer to an adult than a kid. She keeps referring to me as a child but, I’m not a kid at all. Dinner is just filled with more rules about living here, limited access to electronics and all that. She keeps avoiding my questions about learning how to fight. It sounds like I’m not allowed to learn how to fight, but I don’t know why she can’t just give me a straight answer. I know she said seventeen, but I’m seventeen. I’m only a kid by a technicality. If hadn’t been a thrall, my body would have aged already, but I am seventeen.

“So you’re really not budging on this seventeen thing? Even if I am seventeen, technically,” I ask moving a green bean to the other side of my plate.

“I don’t make the rules or even enforce them. Your discrepancy is not with me child.”

“Well, can you tell me another story then? One about Jason.”

“Why do you look up to that man?”

“He’s like a superhero. He saved me, and a bunch of other people. That’s the coolest thing I’ve ever seen.”

“Do you know anything else about him?”

“He seemed like a good person.”

“There are other good people in the world too child. Even those you view as bad or evil, often have their good qualities. The world is not black and white like that.”

“I haven’t met a lot more bad people than good people. I think when I’m your age, I might feel the same way. For now, I know I can trust him, and you.”

“Keep your eyes open, and you may see the world is much better than you think.”

“Are you going to tell me a story, or can I go to bed?”

“Very well, do you know what a Basilisk is?”

“Not a clue.”

“Well, we’re going to have to do a little history lesson, but I’ll tell you about the time he killed one.”

0