2.56 “Truth”
3.1k 5 160
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“The full truth,” The elf before me stated bluntly. “No playing games here.”

I was so screwed. I didn’t want to share this secret with anyone else but Cellestra, but I didn't think I was going to have much of a choice in this scenario. It was either spill the beans or I wouldn’t get to see my parents. I could, of course, try to run, but I would be found sooner or later, and as far as I could tell, these people were not something I would wish to mess with.

“I am… was an elf,” I spoke quietly so that only he, Vyath and Gwyn would hear me. “A knight. I got cursed by Hograd, but Elysa did what she could to counter the curse.”

His eyes shot open wide, but his facial expression didn’t change much beyond that. He was clearly surprised but didn’t want to show that. He turned his head to the succubus, who, like him, had her eyes, as well as her mouth, wide open.

“That’s… the truth it seems.” She spoke with disbelief.

“Elysa…” The archivist let out, in equal disbelief. “Unbelievable…”

The commander then narrowed his eyes. I felt as if he was trying to peer into my soul.

“And you’re on good terms with Elysa?”

“As far as I know, I am. I spoke with her not too long ago at the temple in Edhil.”

“Truth,” Gwyn said softly. The elf in the middle didn’t even have to ask.

The commander narrowed his eyes once more before his visage changed back into an otherwise neutral, albeit stern, one. I could see him thinking, and there was no doubt in my mind what his next question would be. I took a deep breath in preparation.

“The obelisk. What happened?”

Fuck.

“I… I don’t know,” I started softly. In reaction to that, I saw Gwyn’s mouth open wide in shock, but she quickly recovered before tapping on her side with a finger, drawing my attention to her. She then winked in such a manner that the other two couldn’t see it.

She was sending me a message.

I swallowed before continuing, trying to buy some time to figure out what kind of message she was sending. Then, it dawned on me.

“We ran past it, and a minute or so after leaving it behind, we saw a red beam shoot from its top into the sky. I have no idea what it was, or why it happened.”

Gwyn gave me a slight nod.

“Truth,” She said in the same manner as before.

I wanted to heave a deep sigh of relief, but I couldn’t do that just yet. Doing something like that at a moment like this would only raise suspicion.

“Unfortunate,” The elf before me let out. “But the timing is conspicuous. Vyath, what do you know about the obelisks?”

“I myself don’t know much, but I do believe we have a tome or two that mention them, sir.”

“Have your staff collect those tomes and any other they can find on them. I’d like you and Gwyn to escort Kealyna to the closest temple to Elysa.” He then turned his full attention to me once more. “I’d like you to ask Elysa directly if she knows anything about the monoliths. I love and respect the goddess, but I have a duty to my people. I need to know what caused the light and what it means.”

I nodded respectfully. “I understand.”

Being privileged to speak to the goddess was rare, I’d been told. I wanted to know the answer to this matter myself already. I just hoped whatever information Elysa could give me would not end up causing harm to be directed at me. I prayed she had an answer…

“And I’d like you two to relay that information back to me,” He said to Gwyn and Vyath. “If she has the goddess’s favor, I have to submit to that. She is free to do as she pleases, within the law, of course.”

I nodded slightly. “Thank you, sir.”

He then turned around and headed back inside the building he left earlier. Finally, I could heave the sigh of relief that I’d been holding in all this time.

“Don’t take him too seriously,” Gwyn said warmly. “He does care. He just… has to keep up appearances you know?”

“I get it,” I said. “Don’t worry, I’m used to this. I was a knight, after all.”

“If we’re going to be traveling with you, I’m looking forward to you telling me more about your relationship with Elysa. She’s not worshiped by my blood, but still...”

“I’ll go inform my staff about their apparent new task…” Vyath said, slightly agitated. “I’ll be back in a bit. Kealyna, would you like a token?”

”Yes, please.”

With that, he walked off into the larger building.

“Thank you,” I said softly to the succubus after the elf had left. “For back there.”

“Not a problem,” She said in response. “I figured telling the truth, whatever it is, may have put you in a… dangerous situation.”

I nodded. “It probably would have, yes.”

“Would it be something you’re willing to tell me on the way?”

I thought for a second about it. “I mean, I’m kind of obliged to.”

Gwyn chuckled. “If it’s too dangerous, don’t do it, but if you do, keep in mind that I cannot tell anyone about it, either.”

“I suppose that’s true. I guess I’ll tell you.”

The succubus smirked. “Thanks.”

My attention was grabbed by Cellestra who was softly petting the hair on my back. For the first time in a while, I felt a smile grow on my face again. She always managed to cheer me up. I saw her take off her backpack, place it in front of her and fish out the coin pouch, which she handed to me.

I thanked her and fished out half of the contents. I felt bad for taking so much to spend on something for myself, but Cellestra had been fine with it, and it was unlikely we’d run into a money shortage anytime soon. I didn’t foresee any expenses besides, perhaps, food, but even that we could likely gather ourselves. That was all we would need too. We wouldn’t be staying in town so there was no need to pay rent or the like.

Vyath returned with something shiny in his hand. When he approached us, he held up a silver-colored disc in his palm with three letters engraved in it: LAM. I asked what they stood for.

“Len Asari Military,” Vyath replied. “It’s proof of authorization and paid taxes. Just make sure not to let a non-qualified craftsman craft your weapon for you.”

“How do I know if they are qualified?”

“They will have a token like this one, but it’s gold in color. When you hold a candle to it, it will reflect an eerie blue glow.”

“Understood.”

I handed the coins to the elf who in turn handed me the token. I gave it to Cellestra who stashed it away in her backpack, which she then put on again.

“If that is all,” Vyath continued. “We should be on our way. Unless you need some time to rest?”

I shook my head. “I’m fine. You’d be surprised how good my stamina is, not to mention my speed.”

“Yeah, we’ve seen that, alright,” Gwyn commented. “And here I thought horses were the most suitable for travel.”

“Clearly, spiders are superior,” I said with a smirk.

The succubus smirked back. “Unfortunately for me, you seem to have a rider already. I would have loved to try it for myself.”

I grinned. “I doubt Cellestra would give up her spot.”

“Nope,” Cellestra said, smiling.

“Told ya,” I said.

Vyath shook his head and headed off into the stable. He returned with two horses, different ones than last time. Two black, muscular stallions would assist the elf and succubus in getting to the nearest temple. He had already placed the saddlebags with tent materials on the fresh horses which made me think it would take a while before we got where we needed to be.

“How far is the temple anyway?”

I remember I was told it was a bit out from the wall, but I wasn't told any specifics.

“Few hours,” Vyath said. “No villages have been built in close proximity to the wall. It was a conscious decision from the king. A bit excessive if you ask me, but I don’t make the decisions.”

The elf turned to look at the sky before turning back to me. “We’ll get there late in the evening. Gwyn and I will spend the night there, before we return here in the morning. I hope you trust us enough for that.”

I nodded. “I do, but I can stay awake while sleeping, anyway.”

“Uhhh,” Gwyn murmured. “How does that work?”

I chuckled. “Wouldn’t you like to know?”

160