2.71 Welcome
2.6k 9 142
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I’d never heard such urgency coming from Cellestra before, and I wasn’t one to question it. Within an instant, I started running towards the row of shrines.

“That’s an alarm bell,” Cellestra explained while grasping my hair tight. “I think they spotted you, and are not the welcoming kind.”

I sighed. “So much for elven hospitality.”

“We just need to get to the shrine quickly. It wouldn’t surprise me if we had a small army coming out to meet you soon enough.”

“I imagine that whoever spotted us would not like seeing us move towards the shrines,” I said. “But then again, when the braziers turn blue, we’re both safe and it opens a route to negotiation.”

Cellestra’s worry faded as a smile grew on her face. “The backing of a goddess is a powerful bargaining chip.”

“That, I noticed.”

From the corner of my rear eyes, I saw a group of mounted figures leave the city on horseback, riding in our direction. I couldn’t make out what or who they were as they were far enough away. That distance would only continue to grow as I was simply faster than a horse.

It wasn’t that they didn’t try. They were galloping as fast as they possibly could. There was just no way for them to catch up to me. Still, their hurry made me feel uneasy, even if I knew I would be in a safe area soon.

Moments later, we reached the five shrines. Each of them had a small plot of land filled with flowers, around them, a low wall. The two braziers belonging to each building were located on the walls at either side of the entrance.

We arrived at the leftmost shrine first, but quickly moved to the next as the braziers of that one didn’t change colors. The one priest that walked out of the building just as we arrived, turned around with lightning speed and ran back inside when we passed. It would have made me giggle if it wasn’t for a certain war party coming our way.

When the second and third set of braziers didn’t change their colors as I passed, I started to panic slightly, which was only intensified when the fourth set yielded the same results. My eyes were fixated on the very last set as I approached.

Elysa, please tell me that’s your temple.

I neared the flames but they didn’t shift. Only when I got within a yard or two, did they finally, and to my utmost relief, change to the roaring blue flames that promised me safety.

I sighed deeply as I came to a halt.

“By the goddess, I was worried sick...” I admitted.

“I know. That was a bit… close.”

The group of soldiers that had been running our way seemed to have slowed down to a more leisurely pace. I imagined our idleness and the color of the flames had something to do with that. I noticed a green-robed and hooded figure exit the domed building and make his way to us. He held up his arms forward, as if to hug, as he spoke.

“What an interesting creature,” He said with wonder and intrigue. “But I am not to question the goddess’s whims. Welcome chosen of Nilene.”

Nilene?

I turned my head to Cellestra, who in turn, turned hers to mine as we looked at each other with confused expressions.

“This is a shrine to Nilene?” I asked, turning to the green figure.

“Why, yes, and it appears she is eager to talk to one of you two.”

“Uhhh,” I let out. “Are any of these shrines dedicated to Elysa?”

“The one all the way at the end is,” He said as he pointed in the direction from which we just came. “Shall I prepare the ritual?”

“No,” I said. “Hold on a minute.”

I turned my head to Cellestra again and started sharing my questions. Two heads knew more than one after all… well, technically three…

“What is going on?”

“I have no idea,” Cellestra replied. “We did get close enough to Elysa’s braziers, right?”

I nodded. “We definitely did. Do you think she doesn’t want to talk to me?” I paused for a second as something entered my mind. “Do you think she can’t? I mean, I had a ritual not too long ago.”

“Maybe it’s to protect you? You didn’t exactly get through it unscathed last time. I imagine if you were to have one again now, things would be even worse.”
“So, why would Nilene’s light up?” I asked. “...unless it’s to make me aware of that...” I shook my head. “Odd, but I wasn’t planning on the ritual anyway, so I guess it doesn’t matter too much, does it?”

“We should be alright,” Cellestra said as she looked at one of the braziers. “The connection to a goddess, any goddess, will always be sacred. To attack someone like that is to invite disaster.”

I nodded. “Guess I’ll have to wait a few days and then see if Elysa thinks it's safe to talk to me, no?” I turned my head to look at the same fire that Cellestra was looking at. “I should ask her about Nilene as well then. I’m quite curious what their connection is.”

“Well, both of them are goddesses of nature. It would make sense for them to be close.”

“I guess so.”

I turned to look at the priest who had followed our conversation while looking at the ground. “We will not be looking for an audience with the goddess today. All we want is safety and information about certain people… at first, that is. If all goes well, we would be interested in staying in the area.”

Gods, I sure suck at diplomacy.

“I see. Can I be of assistance?” He asked politely.

“Perhaps, but we have some other people that are interested in us first.”

He nodded as I turned around to watch the riders approach us and halt at a safe distance of several yards. Six soldiers, covered in exceptional-quality plate armor watched the flames on either side of me. Their leader, easily recognizable by a red plume on his helmet stepped forward but didn’t speak a word.

I was used to it, but this time I felt at least a bit nervous. Perhaps it was because I was so close to my goal now and I didn’t want to make myself look bad.

“Interesting...” That was all he said before another long pause followed. He guided his horse to walk a half-circle around me, his eyes running over my abdomen, spider eyes, our cargo, and Cellestra. I was certain he’d taken notice of the odd color of her eyes.

I wasn’t sure if he was trying to come across as a person of authority or whether he had absolutely no clue what to do with the situation presented to him. I planted my weapon’s tip in the dirt and held the pole in one of my hands while I waited, slightly frustrated at being examined like this, for further dialogue.

“Very interesting...” He spoke again, as he came to a halt in front of me, still at a distance.

Cellestra reached into her backpack which made the soldier turn his head to her. She pulled out the disc and held it up for him in the palm of her hand. The soldier’s eyes darted from the disc, to me, to the flames and back.

It seemed he really didn’t know what to make of the situation.

He removed his helmet, freeing his long ears, and revealing a middle-aged visage. It was battle-hardened, yet he lacked the bitterness in his skin that I’d gotten used to from people who’d been in the military for a while. In fact, he seemed friendly, intrigued if nothing else. He held the helmet under his arm as he addressed us.

“I’ve seen many things in my life, but this...” He shook his head. “This blows everything away. Do you have some kind of special connection to the goddess?” He asked, curiosity evident in his blue eyes.

I nodded. “I have been blessed by Elysa.” I turned my head to the brazier to my left, then back to the mounted warrior. “Why Nilene’s flames burn like this is a mystery I hope to figure out soon.”

“So you ran here on purpose after we left the city?”

“Yes. We figured that showing you this connection would be the easiest way to start talks.”

“I’ll admit, you had me worried for a moment when you sprinted this way. Glad to see all was meant well.”

I was happy, at least, to have such a relatively warm welcome. There was no hostility to be seen in this soldier’s honest eyes.

“So,” The elven man continued. “Now that that is cleared up, mind telling me your names, and what your business is here?”

As friendly as he seemed, these were still the questions that he was required to go through.

“Cellestra,” Cellestra said, before I could reply. She then put away the token in her backpack again.

“Kealyna,” I said clearly. “And we’re looking for my parents…”

 

 

 

Check out my Patreon for more chapters and early access to new ones. 25+ Chapters ahead for this story and 15+ for my other (Elania, Arachne in a Different World.  I'll also plan on starting a new series soon, but have no schedule for that as of right now. It will be patreon only for a good while before I even think about publishing.

Thank you all for your support <3

142