2.102 Arrangement
2.3k 4 118
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cellestra giggled at my statement.

“That’s so sweet,” She said with a smile. “Considering your obsession with your weapon before.

“Don’t get me wrong. I still want it very much.”

“Of course you do!”

I grinned as I walked towards where we met the smith, Zearis, days prior. The stand that he occupied at the time was still there, but someone else was taking care of business. I decided to instead take a look in the workplace.

We found the smith showing off a dagger and then handing out instructions. He’d seen us approach and raised a finger, indicating he’d be with us in a moment. I simply nodded and waited until he’d put the others to work. He disappeared further into the workshop, before he reappeared, a shiny blue-bladed halberd in one hand, and in the other, a large starmetal ingot.

“Welcome back,” He greeted us. “I’d heard about you two suffering quite some injuries in the dungeon from one of the soldiers yesterday. I’m glad to see you’re doing well.”

“Good to see you too,” I replied. “And yes, we had a bit of an accident, but we’re alright.”

He nodded. “As you can see, I’m all finished. I’ve refined the remainder of the metal for you as well. A small part of it was used to make the amulet, which is all done too.”

“Great to hear,” I said warmly. “Though, I’m less happy to meet her again…”

“Heh,” The smith let out in a deep voice. “I have it with me. You don’t have to worry about bothering her again.”

“Her idea?” I asked sharply.

“Yup,” He replied with a single word, confirming that my mediocre opinion of the old lady was more than justified in my eyes.

I sighed. “Guess some people can’t be helped. Thank you so much, though.”

Zearis placed the tip of the weapon on the stone ground of the street, just outside the smithing area, and first handed me the ingot, which I placed on my lower head before securing it tightly. In the meantime, Cellestra reached for the money pouch and started taking out coins.

“Seven coins total, refining, and crafting fee,” He stated as he watched the brunette who nodded at his words.

After Cellestra had handed him the coins, he reached for a pouch, the same pouch that the purple-eyed elf had given Emerin, and handed it back to her. At the same time, I took hold of my new weapon and noted that it was slightly heavier than steel.

I was hypnotized by the surface of the blade. The silver veins were still visible in the otherwise blue material. They shone with even more intensity than before processing, and it seemed to ripple across the surface. I could watch it for a good while, but right now, I was more interested to see Cellestra’s amulet, even more so, her reaction to it.

Zearis waited as well, likely to know we’d be satisfied with the products delivered, but I could tell he was curious about her reaction as well. His eyes were fixed on the pouch as Cellestra opened it.

An amulet, made from the same blue and silver came into view. In its center was a large red gem, a ruby I thought, in the shape of a drop. Its bottom part was cradled by the wings that made up the jewelry. An accompanying silver chain held the whole.

Cellestra was stunned, her eyes large and her mouth open. She, as well as I, were both speechless at the finished work. I barely managed to nod at Zearis, who left us behind, a wide smile on his face, the satisfaction of a job well done, I was sure.

“It’s… beautiful,” Cellestra whispered, unable to avert her gaze from the accessory.

“Why don’t you put it on?” I asked.

She nodded and slowly donned it. Her eyes were still fixed on the large gem, and I could see a tear appear in them. At the same time, she smiled slightly.

I didn’t say a word as I started walking towards the guild hall, leaving Cellestra to think, to remember Rose and what she’d meant to her, and still means.

Just before I reached the building, one of the city guards exited it. His eyes were immediately locked on my lower ones, before he slowly ran them up to look at my face.

“Hello,” I said. I figured I might as well ask him instead. “Do you know if Selleron is here today?”

“Hi,” He managed to squeak out, almost stumbling over his words. I bet he didn’t expect to see eye to eye with me from this short distance. “He is not here at the moment, but he will be making his daily visit in a bit. If you wait here, you’ll catch him soon enough.”

“Thank you,” I said with as best a smile as I could before he walked off to the side.

I decided to listen to him and wait for the guard captain. I trusted he had a good idea of where we could get some spell scrolls as well.

Besides, Cellestra was still silently observing her new amulet, and I didn’t want to break her apparent focus. I thought it would be a good idea to put it under her shirt eventually. Flaunting an amulet and gemstone of that size was just asking for trouble, even if Thymhil and the province itself didn’t have high crime rates.

“I miss her,” Cellestra said with no more than a whisper. “I think you would have liked her too.”

“I’m certain I would have. It can’t be helped, though. I’ve only been in this world for a couple of weeks.”

“Yeah,” She said softly. “But it’s still something I like to think about.”

“I’m happy for you to have known such a wonderful person, and to still have something of hers to remember her by. It’s a beautiful amulet, Cellestra.”

“It is,” She said with a nod before looking down. “You know, it goes well with your eyes. Have you ever thought about getting some piece of jewelry?”

“I haven’t,” I said, shaking my head. “Unless it had some kind of enchantment.”

Cellestra’s expression changed drastically at my comment and a smile appeared on her face, along with a quiet giggle.

“As expected of you.”

“I suppose it is,” I answered with a smile of my own.

Our wait ended when the red-plumed solder appeared in the corner of my vision. It was as if he knew we were there for him, and he took off his helmet to greet us politely.

“Greetings, Kealyna, Cellestra. How’s it going?” He checked out my previously injured eye as he spoke.

“Good. As you can see,” I said.

“Your healing is something else. I’m impressed.”

I nodded but didn’t go into his statement any further. I knew he had things to do and I still had questions to ask.

“Say, would it be okay for us to finish the dungeon trial when you’re available again?”

He nodded.

“Sure, but I won’t be available for the rest of today, or tomorrow. The earliest I have time is the day after tomorrow. Meet me here at the guild hall at the same time as now and I’ll have the squad ready if that time is okay for you.”

“Yes, that would be great. Although…” My words trailed off as I thought about Soranir. “I think we will have a meeting with Soranir about a few things soon as well.”

“If you can’t make it, just let anyone here know and they will relay it to me.” He put his helmet back on his head and was about to wave us goodbye for the time being when I interrupted.

“Uhm, if you don’t mind, we have another question.”

“Go for it.”

“Where can we buy spell scrolls around here?”

“Spell scrolls, huh?” He let out. “Hold on, I need to get my duties sorted at the guild. I will send Felmar to assist you. He knows a lot more about that than me, and I doubt his presence will be missed at the guild… at least for as long as I’m here.”

“Thank you,” I said warmly and honestly. “We really appreciate your help.”

“Not a problem,” Selleron replied, a smile visible through the small gap in his helmet. “If nothing pops up, I’ll see you here the day after tomorrow then.”

I nodded.

“See you then.”

He disappeared inside, leaving us behind, but only temporarily. Within a few minutes, the guild clerk known as Felmar stepped outside, this time, without his clipboard, and apparently, more relaxed than the first time he’d laid eyes upon me.

At least, that’s what I believed. If he was still expressing any shivers, they weren’t strong enough for me to notice through his long, black robes.

“Hello,” He said with much more confidence this time. “I was told you’d like assistance with finding spell scrolls?”

118