3.11 Message
1.8k 8 87
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Anxiety welled up inside me when the creature slowly descended in circles until it landed in the grass before me. I remembered Gwyn’s words and what it would mean if her pet showed up, and I wasn’t ready to say goodbye to my family yet. I also never expected to be recalled already, it was far too early.

We still had so much to do here…

The being stretched its wings, revealing its shorter front legs, a tube bound to one of them. Clearly, it had a message in it meant for me, so I opened the case and took the paper held within. I reluctantly unfurled the document and started reading.

The message contained information about current events happening near the obelisk. A small camp had initially been set up to perform research on it, but strange things had happened there, even after my departure.

The ground around the monolith had started to turn black, and the plant life on it had died. Even more reason for concern was that the area of death was slowly expanding, and that, after a while, every now and then creatures spawned. What they were was a mystery but they seemed to resemble some kind of small forefather of the current demons, although they were twisted beyond recognition and extremely fragile. They were fierce, but didn’t seem to possess any intelligence, making them nothing but fodder, but their appearance was the reason for more soldiers to be stationed in the area.

Vyath continued to say that word about this was bound to spread through the realm, for better or worse. He stated that he was unsure if the corruption that spread was going to slow down or stop at all without interference. According to him, it would be wise to try to speed up research, even if that meant that more people were going to be aware of the situation. He tried to reassure me by writing that nobody could trace this back to me.

He concluded by saying that he wished things were going well for me, and that, if needed, I could write back to him by using the back of the paper and send it back with Gwyn’s bat. He specifically states that my presence wasn’t needed for the time being and that he thought it was better if I continued my training here, so that I could better assist when the time was right.

“Well, fuck,” I let out after a long silence, during which Cellestra had eyed me with interest and worry in her eyes.

“Is it bad?” Cellestra asked. “Do we need to go back?”

I shook my head. “We don’t, not for the time being, but I’d like to send a message back. Do you have any stationery?”

“I always have some charcoal with me.”

“That will do. I’ll just send him what we told Soranir. He’ll get the message a second time later on, but this one will be faster, and time seems to be of the essence.”

“I understand,” Cellestra said as she reached in her backpack and handed me a piece of charcoal to write with.

I quickly scribbled down what we discussed with the mayor, and that Elysa said there was something banished in the middle of the obelisks. Vyath could use this answer to immediately start looking. Additionally, I wrote that we had set up our own search for information in the area surrounding Thymhil, and that the capital would be next on that list. After that, I didn’t have a lot of space left due to the size of the letters, partially because of the crude method of writing, but I concluded with the fact that we were doing fine and that my family was safe and sound, something which I imagined he wanted to hear.

I had a small smile on my face as I placed the document back in the tube which I then sealed off properly. When I stepped back, the bat creature immediately took to the skies as it returned to Gwyn.

I sighed as I watched it fly off, Cellestra walking to my side to put her hand on my back.

“Is everything okay?”

“It appears things are happening around the obelisk,” I said. “The ground around it dies and it expands outward. What is worse, some kind of mindless demonic creatures have started to appear, causing reinforcements to be sent. As I said before, it appears time is of the essence. It feels like we’re on a clock to either re-banish or finish off whatever is being sealed by the pillars.”

I sighed again.

“I pray to Elysa that Vyath and Soranir will be able to locate the creature and take advantage of the fact that it’s still bound by the remaining obelisks.”

“It sounds… terrible,” Cellestra said softly.

“There is still so little we know about the presence. It’s frustrating beyond belief. I suppose we’ll have to scale up our training.”

“If you think we can handle it, I’m okay with that.”

“Well, it’s much easier to teach you my spells now. Not sure how the other dungeon looks, but I’m certain we will be able to get past our last foe on the third floor soon enough. I’d also like to see if I can acquire some more spells from that weird lizard. I’m certain I didn’t pick up the only one it had.”


“Sounds like a good idea,” Cellestra said optimistically. “But as much as you’re eager to throw yourself into action again, we’re done for the day.”

“Yeah, you’re right. We’ll continue that tomorrow. One good thing is that we don’t have to prove ourselves anymore, so we can try to sneak past enemies to conserve mana.”

“Enough of that,” Cellestra said sternly, yet warmly. “Let’s enjoy what is left of this day, some good food, let’s work on our home a bit, and then get some good sleep.”

“Yeah,” I said in agreement. “And I need my daily dose of sunshine as well.”

“Me?” She asked mischievously, causing me to burst into giggling.

“Well, you’re more than a dose,” I said, shaking my head. “You know what I meant.”

“How could I not? The two of you are just the most adorable.”

“I’m just so happy with both you and my family nearby. When I saw that bat I…” I fell silent for a few seconds. “I didn’t want to go yet. I feel like I barely started a proper life here. I know I’ll have to eventually, but by the goddess, I would like for that day to never come.”

Cellestra remained quiet, something for which I didn’t blame her. I wouldn’t know how to respond to my own question either. Fortunately, we soon arrived at the farm, where the same sunshine that I mentioned earlier darted at me as soon as she noticed we were here.

“Hi sis, how are you?”

“We’re doing well. How about you? School going well?”

She nodded as I picked her up, continuing my walk towards my parents who were both relaxing at the table, sipping tea, with my father reading the news.

“Hi, mom, dad,” I said, still carrying Elira with my pedipalps. “How are you doing? Done with weeding?”

“If only it were that simple,” My father said with a chuckle. “Nope, it takes several days to do the entire field, and we’ll be harvesting tomatoes soon as well.”

“Ah, that sounds wonderful,” I mused. “I wish I had time to help you with that…”

“That’s okay,” My mother replied with a soothing voice. “You have your own things to take care of. How did things go for you today?”

I placed Elira back on the ground, and she immediately ran up and climbed onto my back without hesitation, fascinated as always by my rear eyes, the color pattern in my abdomen, and the long, soft, white hair.

“Really well, actually. I’m very happy with our progress. Didn’t quite get to have Cellestra use her new armor as something else came up, but it can’t be helped, I guess.”

“What happened?” Elira asked.

“Some adventurers in trouble,” Cellestra answered. “One of them was wounded and had lost his sword in the dungeon, so your sister, of course, decided to help them.”

“Woah, you’re amazing, sis!” Elira happily exclaimed as she looked at me with wonder.

“Well, I need to set a good example for you,” I said with a smile that only my parents could see.

“You’re doing great,” My mom said. “Anyway, if you want to take Elira for a run around the fields, I suggest you hurry up as dinner is going to be done soon.”

“Yay!” The little girl exclaimed. “Let’s go!”

“You joining as well, Cellestra?” I asked the brunette who was still standing on her own legs.

“Ah, why not?”

87