3.22 Carpenting 2
1.5k 1 78
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It may have seemed like I was buying time, putting off the one thing I feared most in life, but I truly wanted to be done with our things for the day first. I wanted to have nothing else on my mind, and the peace of our home when looking into it.

Cellestra acknowledged my silence and softly ran her hand over my back as we stepped onto the road leading to the city.

“Seems you’re already healing,” She said with a whisper. “Your hair is softer, and the burnt spots look smaller.”

“I suppose,” I said. “Hadn’t really noticed it yet, but I guess you’re right.” I felt a small smile creep on my lips. “I’m happy to see it.”

“We’ll need to be careful to not have you get burned again. It really takes away from your beauty.”

“Didn’t take you for a charmer,” I replied with a chuckle.

“I’m not, but, I do mean it,” She said softly. “And I don’t want to see you hurt again.”

“I don’t think either of us wants to see the other hurt.”

“That would be kind of creepy, wouldn’t it?”

I smiled and let out a small chuckle in response, opting to remain quiet as we both already knew the answer.

We soon reached the city, and even though there was the usual wariness, even more so with my damaged… fur? People didn’t seem scared. Maybe they’d heard of our deeds, maybe they’d come to accept us as proper inhabitants, I didn’t know. If it was the latter, I’d be more than happy because it would mean I was seen not as a monster, but as a person.

I thought about our potential party members one more time and came to a possible conclusion, or at least, made me decide on a character trait that I deemed important: discipline. Either through previous military training or as an innate personality, it would be important for us to be able to rely on allies, and they on us.

It was already quite clear to us from the few fights that we had that it was important to work together, and stronger, tougher creatures would require even more coordination to take down, that much I was sure of. Having people do their own thing, potentially putting themselves in danger was out of the question.

Other than that one mandatory trait, I cared little about background or upbringing. Everyone had their own reasons to become adventurers, and I wouldn’t be the one to judge. It would be nice if we could find like-minded people, but as long as they were worth their part in combat, I was fine with whoever would be willing to team up with us.


We reached the guild hall and as we came to a halt before the building, I was pleasantly surprised by a new, freshly painted sign above the door. The inscription ‘dungeon exploration guild’ was once again legible and presented with pride. I didn’t know why, but seeing it just made me smile from ear to ear. Cellestra noticed it as well and nodded once in acknowledgment before entering the building to summon Felmar.

She returned a few minutes later with the guild clerk in tow, his clipboard in hand, ready to note down all our wishes. Fortunately for him, he didn’t have to write down much, just a few things that Cellestra and I had talked about, and then the additional thing that I’d thought about on the way here.

When asked about payment fees, he assured us that two silver coins were enough for the time being as our requirements weren’t particularly special. Cellestra handed him the coins and as he accepted them, he wrote down a few more things.

“I know it’s not really my place to comment on it,” Felmar said while scribbling. “But I’m happy to see you turn to the dungeon exploration guild for help. I’m very much looking forward to following your career.”

“What do you mean not your place to comment? This seems like it’s exactly your place to me,” I said, my arms crossed with the butt end of my pole on the street. “But yeah, Cellestra and I both thought we should at least explore our options.”

“Understandable. That does seem like the sensible choice.”

I nodded. “Exactly. Uhm, one more thing if you don’t mind.”

“Ask away,” Felmar said confidently.

“We’re looking for the carpenter’s guild. Do you know how to get there?”

“Yeah,” He said, taking a few more steps outside. “Just down the street towards the tower,” He pointed in the direction of where I knew my parents went when they went to see Soranir. “Past the tower, and then take a left. It’s quite easy to spot as it’s a massive, red wooden warehouse. Can’t miss it.”

“Great. Thanks,” I said.

“Thank you,” Cellestra thanked him as well.

He nodded, and we waved him goodbye as we were off.

We followed his directions, and only a few minutes later, we arrived at the building he mentioned. He wasn’t kidding when he said the place was huge. This was by far the largest building in the entire city. Even if the height wasn’t there, it more than made up for it by just how long and wide it was.

Despite my generous size, I’d still be able to enter the building with plenty of room to spare if I so wanted, due to the two doors that were big enough to allow the largest carts entry. However, they were both closed and locked tight.

That didn’t mean there wasn’t a way in. Within one of the doors was another, normal-sized door that was used to enter and exit the building. From behind, I could hear all kinds of sounds that one would expect from carpenters, including hammering, sawing, and grinding.

And then there was the smell of wood. Even if it wasn’t fresh, it was still very much one of the most easily recognizable odors, and in my opinion, a pleasant one.

The sounds of working came from far inside, which brought me back to my parents’ words. This place was used as both a store and a workplace, so I imagined the wares were stashed somewhere close to the exit.

Cellestra climbed down when we got close enough. I thought she'd head inside, but when she just waited I knocked and hoped it would carry over all the noise. The almost melodic sounds paused briefly before resuming, with what I thought was one less saw than before. Cellestra and I glanced at each other before the door opened a moment later.

A large man, easily matching the blacksmith, Zearis, in size, stepped outside. He wore clothes that were once white, now completely covered in sawdust, that left his arms and legs free. His clothing wasn’t the only thing smothered with dust. His beard and mustache were completely yellow as well. His eyes, which were about the only things clear, narrowed and ran over the massive body behind me before peering into mine, not a hint of fear in them.

“What can I do for you?” He asked directly, but not in an impolite way, with a deep voice that matched his build.

“Hi,” I said, deciding to get straight to the point. “We’re looking for options when it comes to building some sort of fence with a door that can be locked.”

He ran a hand through his beard, causing some of the wood dust to sprinkle down.

“Location?” He asked.

“In the forest, near the shrines.”

“Length?”

“About ten to fifteen yards,” I said. “But it can be shorter if necessary.”

Technically, a small part of fencing with a doorway would be enough, but this person before me looked like he’d appreciate a bigger, and thus better-paying job.

He shook his head and seemed to think some more before finally, he nodded.

“For the right price, we can do it.”

“What would be the right price?” I asked calmly.

“Ten to fifteen yards of fencing, I’m assuming with foundation, labor and all, we’re looking at three to four gold coins. Five if you opt for heavy oaken.”

“We’ll definitely opt for the heavy oaken,” I said, wanting quality above all.

“Excellent,” The man before me said, a small smile visible for the first time. “Can I take a look at the location?”

“Right now?”

He nodded once more.

“Sure. We’ll lead you there.”

He suddenly turned around and entered the doorway behind him, disappearing into the large building before returning with a small stake and a hammer. I had no idea what he was going to use those for, but I assumed he had his reasons.

He extended an open hand in a ‘lead the way’ gesture, and I nodded and started our walk back to our home, Cellestra at my side who wore a small grin.

The speed at which things happened was completely unexpected.

The price was quite substantial as well, but something I’d gladly pay. We were building a home, after all.

78