3.38 Sleepover
1.3k 2 74
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I’d expected it to be later, but when I looked through the trees above, it was clear it was somewhere mid-afternoon. I hoped it was late enough for Elira to be home. She was surely going to be excited to get a chance to play with Elle and the others again.

“Guess this also means I’ll have to inform my parents about our find,” I said as I was reminded of the fact we’d ask to sleep in the storage shed.

“I think that would be the polite thing to do, yes.”

“Guess I’ll have to do that after Elira goes to bed.”

“Orrr,” Cellestra let out, a cute smile on her face. “I think she’d like to sleep with us, like a sleepover. Didn’t you see her last time?”

“Hmmm,” I hummed, considering the proposition. “Will that be okay? I was thinking that would feel kind of awkward.”

“I guess it’s okay. I have no problems with it, at least.”

“Okay then. I’ll ask my father if it’s okay, and talk to them both to let them know a thing or two. I suppose Elira will be too busy with the spiders to even notice.”

“I can help if needed,” Cellestra suggested. “Take her for a small walk or something.”

“That might be for the better.”

Soon, the farm came into view, and it didn’t take long before I spotted the little girl. As we approached, I noticed Elle getting all twitchy with excitement.

“Just go,” I said, prompting her to sprint forward. When Elira finally noticed the spider, it was already too late. She pounced on the girl and took her in for a hug.

“Afternoon,” I greeted my parents when we got close, just as Cellestra went through the necessary effort of getting off my back. I’d overlooked the fact that she was still in armor, and she seemed to have more or less forgotten about it too, as she asked me to help her out of it after coming to a halt.

“How are things here?” I asked after my parents greeted us back. At the same time, I was helping Cellestra relieve her of her heavy outfit.

“Quiet,” My father said. “For the most part at least. Hoping we get some rain soon, otherwise that quiet is going to end very very soon.”

“You gotta water by hand?” I asked to which my dad nodded. “Sounds like hell. If you want me to help out, just ask, okay?”

“I hate having to ask you to help. You have more important things to do,” He replied in an utmost serious manner.

“I don’t know what to say to that. Sure, we have things to do, but you’re my parents, and together with Cellestra and Elira, the most important people in my life. If you feel like you need some assistance, don’t be afraid to come to me. I too have something I’d like to ask.”

I finished helping Cellestra with her armor and gave her a look that let her know exactly what I meant. After stashing the metal away, she walked over to Elira and took her and Elle away with Shayla following closely.

“Is something wrong?” My mother asked, clearly worried.

“Well, I don’t know. We found something macabre in the dungeon – a severed arm   and brought it to the guards outside. Just now when we got out, a shady figure asked questions that seemed to imply he thought I was guilty of committing a crime, of killing a person. There was something off about him, something that scared me deep inside, and if possible, I’d like to ask to stay here for the night.”

“Oh, sweety,” My mother said with love and concern. “You know you’re always welcome to stay here whenever and as long as you want.”

“Thanks…” I said softly while my mother stood up to take me in for a hug.

“Is Soranir aware?” My dad asked.

I shook my head.

“No, and I don’t like involving him with everything, but maybe it would be a good idea to at least notify him, ask if he knows this person.” I shook my head again. “I don’t know.”

“Calm down,” my mom replied with a whisper while ruffling my hair. “Just take it easy. You’re not being a burden to him at all, if that’s what you feel like. Don’t worry about it. I think this is something he should be made aware of.”

“If you think so…”

“You sure he wasn’t just investigating?” My father said. “I’ve heard that they sometimes try to agitate possible suspects to get the truth.”

“I’m not sure. It could have been, but he did a bit too good of a job at that. It didn’t feel like it had anything to do with investigating. It felt more like he truly detested me, and was trying to force an error from my part to frame me.” I shook my head. “Sucks to be treated like this after trying to be honest.”

“Don’t let it drag you down,” My mom said in a soothing voice. “You should speak the truth as much as you can.”

“I know,” I said before heaving a small sigh. “It’s only frustrating because it wasn’t seen as such. Here I was hoping we wouldn’t be involved further.”

“Well, don’t let it get to you,” My mom said running her hand over my hair one last time before breaking the hug. “Would you like some tea, sweetie?”

I nodded, smiling slightly.

“How can I say no to that?”

“Don’t suppose I’ll have to ask Cellestra.”

I chuckled and shook my head. “Nope. Tea is one of her favorite things. Don’t think she can get enough of it, like, ever.”

“I’ll go make some then,” She said happily as she walked back inside.

“And I’ll prepare the shed,” My father said with a nod. “You know your way around, right?”

“Yeah, don’t worry. I was just a bit worried about space, but now that I’ve laid eyes upon it again… it’s plenty.”

“No doubt about that,” He said as he stood up. “Shouldn’t take too long.”

“Thanks, dad.”

Cellestra returned, holding Elira by a hand with Elle and Shayla following behind them. Myria eventually felt comfortable enough to skitter up to them and get petted by the little girl.

“Everything’s fine,” I said. “You want to ask her?”

“Ask what?” Elira curiously remarked.

“Guess it’s me,” I let out with a grin. “We’re staying here tonight.”

“Woah!” Elira exclaimed in excitement. Her eyes lit up brightly, and the question was clear on her face before she even opened her mouth. “Can I stay with you?”

Her eyes grew even wider when I looked into them, and with my arachnid eyes I saw Cellestra giggling softly while she nodded, indicating she was completely fine with it.

“Please?” She asked during my pause.

“Alright.”

“Yaaaay!” She cheered before throwing her arms up and running in circles. Faerith saw it happen, and apparently took it as an invitation. She jumped into the fray and followed the elven girl’s lead, waving around her pedipalps in an attempt to mimic as best she could.

“Well that’s just adorable,” Cellestra commented, suppressing her laughter.

I shook my head and watched Shayla, Myria, and Elle join in, just as my mother walked out with two cups of tea, confusion written all over her face.

“She asked if she could stay with us tonight, and I said it was fine, as long as that’s okay with you?” I clarified her behavior and decided to ask her just in case.

“Sure, that’s fine. Just make sure she wakes up in time for school.”

“Don’t think that will be a problem.”

We drank our tea and chatted some more while Elira played. If this kept up, I just knew she wasn’t going to be an issue tonight. By then, she’d be completely worn out and would want nothing more than to sleep.

When my father finally returned, he offered to visit Soranir after dropping Elira off at school, to which we could do nothing but agree. I had a strong feeling the same person would show up again soon and, while I was able to maintain my calm pretty well, if he was going to take these things too far, he may just get what he wanted in the form of my anger. Perhaps the mayor could do something in that case, or preferably even before that.

The shady figure remained on my mind the entire time, partly ruining what I saw as quality time with my family. Even dinner, which consisted of my favorite meal again, for my mom had made a lot of it the day before, couldn’t help with it. Fortunately, I did manage to not show it too much as when the day came to an end, Cellestra hadn’t asked me about it, and she'd had plenty of opportunities.

When we headed to the storehouse with Elira on my back, she seemed to find new energy where she’d been getting quieter and quieter just moments before.

When I undid the lock and stepped inside, she hopped off my back and leapt into the hay my father had laid out for us. I smiled and told my spiderlings to find a spot to get comfortable as well, just as I did the same.

“Isn’t this more uncomfortable than your bed?” I asked the little girl.

“Maybe, but this is so much cooler!”

“Hope you’ll sleep well,” Cellestra said, taking out the orb from her bag and placing it next to the oil lamp. When she returned, she sat down with Elira at my side.

74