3.55 Testing
1.5k 0 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Finding said shop again turned out to be a bit of a struggle as the way to get there was quite maze-like. We managed, but only after having to reorientate a couple of times. Once there, Cellestra went inside with the remainder of our money and an awfully empty backpack.

We had made it a habit to try to leave as many things back in the nest as possible so we could carry more loot from the dungeon with us. Now, if only we could get our hands on some new treasure. It had been a while.

Either way, it was useful right now as it seemed Cellestra was fully intent on filling it up to the brim with whatever she could get her hands on.

And she was at it for a while. I waited for what felt like the greater part of an hour before the door swung open again, showing a certain elf with the most guilty expression I’d seen from her. I chuckled at the sight of it and then noticed her bulging backpack.

“Give it to me straight,” I said with a smile. “How bad is it?”

“I spent everything we had left. You’re not mad, are you?”

“Mad? I couldn’t get mad at you, and this is one of the most useful ways to spend money.”

“Always calculative,” She replied with a relieved smile. “But I think you too will like what I got.”

“You do realize you just created a problem, right?”

She suddenly looked at me with genuine shock, a reaction so hilarious I couldn’t help but giggle.

“I kind of want to see you use whatever you just got, but we’ve already made arrangements for the day. Now I can’t wait for when we’re done.”

“If you want to watch me use them, we should consider getting a table to put down outside. I don’t believe you can see me through the silk, despite all those eyes.”

“I can’t, and that sounds like a good idea, except that we are out of money, unless we decide to purchase one after our dungeon run. We’re bound to end up making some cash, right?”

I gave it a bit more thought while Cellestra hopped onto my back, the added weight was definitely noticeable.

“You know what, I just got an even better idea. If my parents are up for it, I’d like to get their table and give them money to buy a brand new one. That way, we know we have one that can remain outside without issues and it saves us a trip to the city.”

“You’re so impatient when you’re excited,” She replied with a warm smile. “And your wiggling ears are cute, but sure, if your parents are up for that, why not?”

“I just hope they don’t get annoyed by all the gifts they’re getting. It’s strange, but it’s one of my concerns.”

“You’re just the generous kind,” She replied with a soft voice before sadness filled her eyes, and looked down. “How was that before? Did they not get to know that part of you before you were… separated?”

I closed my eyes and faced the sky, allowing my other head to do the navigating as I thought about her questions, trying to dig up what little I remembered. Yet, no matter how much I thought about it, no matter how much time passed like this (and a fair amount passed without either of us saying a word) I came up empty-handed.

“I’m sorry if that was a tough question,” She finally whispered, causing me to shake my head in response.

“It was tough, but don’t be sad. I don’t think I can answer that question, but I don’t think they knew I was like that. I mean, I only just recently have become able to be generous. What could I possibly have given them that had material value when I was eight years old?”

“Very little, I suppose.”

“Maybe that’s why it’s so awkward for me. Not too long ago, in their memory, they were still providing for me, and now it’s safe to say that things have changed quite a bit in that regard.”

“At least they don’t look like they will cause a fuss about it.”

“Hm,” I replied in the form of a chuckle. “Not so much no. Still, you have no idea how grateful I am to have a place to rest after running around in the dungeon, and to have the most amazing meals to boot.”

“I have an idea,” She said, smiling widely.

I chuckled and continued my way back to the smith.

Zearis was already back and hard at work instructing one of his apprentices. The moment we arrived at his unmanned stand, we heard him curse and take over the work of his student, hammering away in quick succession at what was supposed to be a longsword. Finally, he allowed the other man to continue as he turned to acknowledge us and then turned away again to head inside the shop attached to the workplace.

He returned with my weapon which now had a slight purple glow surrounding the blade. I was captivated and had a hard time taking my eyes off of it. Only when Cellestra tapped my back did I break out of my stupor to watch the smith’s grin at my reaction.

“I’m glad you like what you see.”

“And I’m glad everything worked out. I was a bit worried about it.”

“Don’t be. I’m pretty good at working things out with Emeris. I won’t hold you up any longer. I can see you’re eager to try it out, and well, I got a new apprentice that I need to babysit. Take care.”

“Take care, Zearis, and thank you.”

With a nod, he turned around before sprinting to the anvil. Obviously, his new student had messed up again, but I didn’t stick around to find out what it was.

Who knew, he might just hit his finger if he turned around and saw me.

I was amused at the thought and ran my hand across the halberd’s blade as we left the city’s center. There was something in the steel that seemed to react to my touch. It was prickly but at the same time, warm.

During my discovery process of enchantments, I heard giggling behind me.

“I know, I know,” I commented as I looked at my own face from down below to see my ears wiggling rapidly. “I can’t help it, okay?”

“I’m not blaming you. I think it’s adorable.”

I didn’t take my hand off my weapon until we reached home, where Cellestra unloaded all of the equipment she’d bought and took it inside. Unfortunately for me, everything was tightly wrapped in paper so it wouldn’t get damaged during transport which left me disappointed, my curiosity unsatisfied.

Lastly, there were a couple of books that had to do with both alchemy and enchanting. I hoped they would be of use.

When everything was safely tucked away inside and the curtain door closed, we made our way to the dungeon.

“I’m wondering if we should have a test run on Firags, but at the same time, I’d have to allow it to hit me in order to find out. Perhaps it’s safer to start with those lizards? Those fireballs don’t go through my barrier,” I said as we stepped into the dungeon and started a sprint through the steppe.

“Go for it,” Was all Cellestra said, nodding. I’d already stated that this was the safe way, and of course, she wouldn’t disagree.

A few minutes later, we entered the fields, searching for prey, and it didn’t take long before we had caught the attention of exactly what we were looking for.

Then, a hot spot in my thermal vision suddenly appeared, causing me to turn, my weapon held out against the source of the heat, with a fire wall and my multi-barrier behind it.

A fireball struck the blade and then my secondary defense. When another cold spot appeared, I was quick to retaliate and shot a flurry of icicles in return, catching the animal by surprise which fell dead a few yards out as it shimmered and faded out of invisibility.

My attention, though, was elsewhere.

I was currently looking at the tip and edge of my halberd, which was faintly glowing red as a result of ‘absorbing’ part of the spell. When I touched it, there was still the same prickly feeling as before, except it was more intense, but also warm.

“I like what I see, but now, I’d like to do the same thing again. Are you ready?”

“I’m always ready… except when I’m not.”

I giggled.

“Smooth.”

54