Ch. 17 – Potato
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"It seems like everyone has already reached the waiting process for the snow flax. I'll now begin to demonstrate how to extract and utilize the bitterweed." (Professor Oxford)

Mrs. Oxford retrieved a different pot that contained a yellowish weed-like plant, the kind of weed you would find growing in people's gardens. The bitterweed is just the opposite of the snow flax as it thrives in drier, hotter climates. The medicinal properties of the bitterweed are only contained in its leaves, so you don't need to be as careful with this plant as with snow flaxes." (Professor Oxford)

"After extracting the leaves of the bitterweed, rinse it in clean water to get rid of the dirt on it, and you're done. By chewing the bitterweed's leaves in your mouth, you would be able to consume the medical fluids it secretes. The fluids are the medicinal property of the bitterweed, which induces calmness. Though, do be aware that the plant is called bitter-weed because the taste of the leaves is very bitter." (Professor Oxford)

"Additionally, quick survival tip, if you're ever out of food, but you have bitterweeds, the roots of the bitterweeds are edible, though, it's by no means a delicacy. Now, try on your own." (Professor Oxford)

I set aside the pot of boiling water with the snow flax core and roots in it and retrieved the pot with the bitterweed. Harvesting the bitterweed was a lot easier than the already easy process of harvesting the snow flax.

I quickly yanked out the leaves of the bitterweed and washed them with some water. Holding the now ready to chew bitterweed leaves in my hand, I contemplated whether I wanted to give it a try. After thinking about it for a moment, I decided to go for it. What's the worst that could happen anyway?

I put the leaves in my mouth and started chewing on them. The taste was bitter but wasn't as bad as I had imagined it would be. The bitterness was around the level of a black coffee, nothing I couldn't handle. Moments after chewing on the bitterweed leaves, I felt my mind clear up slightly, and my focus improved. Wow, I didn't expect the bitterweed's medicinal property to be in effect so fast. I think I might want to take some back with me. I'll ask Mrs. Oxford after class.

"Attention class, by now the snow flaxes should be ready. Please check your pots." (Professor Oxford)

Following instructions, I brought the pot with the snow flax in it in front of me. Looking into the pot, the water had already stopped boiling, and only an icy blue gel-like substance remained. I gave it a good whiff and discovered that it had a mint-like smell, a lot more pleasant than the bitterweed.

I held the gel and consumed it in a swift gulp. A pleasant surprise was that just like its smell, and it tasted like mint. I didn't feel any different after eating the gel, and I assume it's because I wasn't feeling any pain, nor did I have any inflamed injuries.

Looking at my classmates, I noticed that many had decided not to consume the gel. I guess they didn't like the idea of eating gel. Too bad for them.

"Lastly, let's move on to the eelard. Unlike the previous two plants, the eelard is borrowed underground. You're going to have to dig around in the pot a little to find the eelard." (Professor Oxford)

Mrs. Oxford moved the soil in the pot around a little and retrieved an oval-like object.

"This is what the eelard looks like." (Professor Oxford)

Looking at the object in Mrs. Oxford's hand again, it looked like a combination of a beansprout and a potato. Honestly, it didn't look quite remarkable.

"The eelard possesses no medicinal properties, but it proves to be a great survival food when you don't have any food. Just boil it, and it'd be ready to eat." (Professor Oxford)

Oh. So it's just a potato.

1