1. Reincarnated on a deserted island.
197 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The last thing Gabriele remembered was a drunk driver crashing their car into his.

And then, he woke up to a bright light, was this the hospital? 
He rubbed his eyes and blinked a few times, trying to ease the throbbing pain in his head as he sat up, feeling grass underneath him.

Wait, grass!?

Gabriele's sight finally returned to him and he took in his surroundings. He was not in the hospital, since trees and plants completely surrounded him with a vibrant green and he heard birds chirping. This reminded him of that time he participated in a wilderness survival TV show, and all he could see was bright blue skies and greenery everywhere. A realisation hit him.

No way, did he really cross over to a different world!? And in the wilderness!?

He was city folk! City folk! There's no way he could survive out in this wilderness! Facing that thought, Gabriele quickly stood up, ignoring the mild headache from standing up too quickly and started to find civilisation immediately. If he really reincarnated in a fantasy world like this, don't think about the monsters, even the animals could possibly kill you! Plus, he was a chef, other than his skills with a knife, there is absolutely no way he can defend himself. So he quickly set off to find some big city or remote village to make sure he survives. 

His hopes were immediately killed when he realised that not only did he not find any sort of civilisation, he was also thrown onto some deserted island! There was no chance he was going to be able to even meet another person! But this was quite a large island too, so it being deserted was strange, surely there would've been someone curious enough to sail the seas and reach the island. Looking up from his position on the shore, Gabriele discovered that there was a mountain range in the background, on the opposite side of where he was. The forest he had just ran out of was actually surprisingly close to the beachside as well. His question was also answered when he looked across the ocean, spotting a giant perpetual storm quite far away from the island, but close enough to deter people from ever exploring the island. 

Now Gabriele realised how low of a chance he held when it came to surviving on this island, but no way in hell was he actually going to die a second time, especially after he just gained a second chance at living. As a city dweller, it's going to take a lot of time to get used to, but now his main goal was to survive on this deserted island, even if he barely had a chance. His first goal was finding the three basic necessities, food, water and shelter. With that, he circled around the island and headed for a mountains, staying close to the shore as he did not want to face the forest again, besides, his only clothes were the ones he was wearing right now, so he had to make sure they were as clean as possible. 

He hoped to find a source of fresh water, and hopefully a cave at ground level that didn't have any monsters residing inside. He looked up again, finding more birds hidden amongst the trees and flying just above said trees. He really craved some chicken right now...Gabriele shook his head, now was not the time to get hungry. He continued trekking down the beach until he reached the break between the mountain range and the forest, so he wandered between there until he fortunately found a cave opening. Crossing his fingers and hoping to not encounter anything weird, he bravely stepped inside, no sounds came from inside, and it appeared that the cave was quite shallow too. As long as he didn't encounter any spiders, he'll probably be safe for the time being...he just hopes he won't be killed by some monster while he's sleeping. After ensuring that the cave was uninhabited and somewhat clean, Gabriele made sure to find clean water next. 

Fortunately for him, the universe decided to make up for throwing him onto a deserted island with a slim chance of survival, since he found a clear river running through the forest that was close to the cave, but still far enough to make a trek. At least the water looked safe enough to drink, but he'll boil it first just to make sure. 

Gabriele found that, ignoring the slim chance of survival, the island itself was actually quite a beautiful place. He sure wished he could somehow build a house or that his cooking tools were with him, he wouldn't mind spending the rest of his life in a nice-looking place like this. He shook off those thoughts as the dusk approached and hunger finally caught up to him. As a chef, going hungry like this would be a taboo, but who knows what could come out at night? So he sulked and walked back to his shelter, knowing he'll have to wait til tomorrow to find some food for himself, if he could survive til tomorrow, of course. 

When night fell, Gabriele was huddled up in his shelter, having already started a small campfire to keep warm. A little bit of dexterity never goes wrong, and plus, he's had some sort of experience from that wilderness survival show. He was thankful he managed to remember and replicate the method of starting a fire. As the flames danced before him, his mind wandered back to his previous life, before he was suddenly transported into this new world and onto this new island. His friends would definitely miss him, and so would his family. Especially his old man, his father would probably be sent into a heart attack when he learns that his only son has died. He felt stressed when he thought of his previous world again and he started fiddling with his hands, as if he wanted to cook something right now. He'd always call over a few friends when he was stress-cooking, and then they'd eat together. 

But there was nothing he could make. 

Gabriele sighed and closed his eyes, the warmth of the fire gently lulling him to sleep. Gabriele closed his eyes and was left with his thoughts for little while longer until he finally fell asleep, the bright light of the fire his only company. 

—————————————

Gabriele felt lucky to have woken up in the morning without injuries, but he did feel a bit uncomfortable. He stood up and stretched, making sure his muscles didn't suddenly cramp. How he wished he could lie on his soft bed, curled up in a nice, fluffy blanket, but that was just a dream now. 

His goal for today, find food.

Gabriele avoided the forest and first approached the shore. It wasn't like he was afraid of what lurked inside the forest and decided to walk on the beach for some comfort before actually going inside the forest. He tried convincing himself that he was on the shore because he could try inspecting the nearby reefs for saltwater fish, and probably crabs, if he got lucky. He started to relax a little more, taking off his shoes before stepping on the warm sand and then closer to the ocean. He remembered the dangers of possibly finding a jellyfish, but all that reminded him of was that one time he had prepared jellyfish when he stayed in China for a while. 

He continued to walk alongside the shore, occasionally stepping into the water to check for any schools of fish when a new structure he had never seen before caught his eye. 

A shipwreck. 

Gabriele's eyes lit up, so someone had enough courage to brave through the perpetual storm surrounding the island, but his hope died quickly, seeing the state of the wrecked ship. But at least he could try to see if the ship had any resources he could salvage, and he always needed extra wood. He made sure to go back and grab his shoes first, checking to see if anything had moved inside in case he had been away, luckily, nothing decided to make his shoes a home. So he made sure to keep his shoes on him as he rushed towards the shipwreck, desperately trying to make sure he didn't lose anything on the wreck to the waves. His first item was an empty, soggy bag, most likely drenched in seawater, he wrung it out as best as he could and placed his shoes inside. It seemed like this ship didn't have much, probably because the storms had blown it all away, he thought it was probably a ship for exploration. He didn't see any stock of goods on this ship, or was all at the bottom of the ocean.

He continued exploring the shipwreck and picking up everything he could find, until he spotted something lying next to the shipwreck. 

No, someone. 

Gabriele approached the person, hoping to see if they were still alive, he would love to have some human contact. The closer he got, the more features he could see. A pair of...fluffy ears attached to the head, and even a tail! Gabriele swore he was seeing things until he knelt closer and touched those ears and tail and surprisingly, they were real. He withdrew his hand immediately as he heard the person make a noise, a groan, and they also coughed up seawater too. 

The person lifted themselves up with their arms, but barely had enough strength to do so. Perhaps it was because they nearly drowned, Gabriele thought. The person suddenly looked up, as if they felt Gabriele reach out his hand again towards them. The look in their eyes made like look hazy, and they looked disconnected from reality. They opened their mouth to speak, reaching out a hand towards Gabriele.

"An...angel?"

—————————————
1,658 words.

Hello, it's pnnm.

I wonder if this development is a bit too quick. But we've met our first ML though.
Is this chapter perhaps a bit too short?

4