Chapter 008: Memorial
127 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 12  is available for Patreons

If you enjoy this novel or have a suggestion, please leave a comment or message me to let me know! Thanks!

Join me on Discord

[Friday, August 13]

The fleet returned 3 days ago, and my staff has spent those days planning a memorial service for all those who fell in battle. Jenny, George, and Anne all said that while we don’t want to do this every time there’s a battle, we do want my people to recognize that sacrifice is a necessary part of the war.

Teresa wakes us up, we bathe, and then the stylists come in to get the three of us ready. I stare into the mirror as Janet styles my hair, and my heart aches as I think of the over 60,000 men and women who lost their lives in Tau Ceti, and unfortunately, I fear that far more of them will give their lives before this war is said and done. Had it not been for the nanites Dakota developed, we’d have had far, far more brave men and women to bury and honor today.

Once Janet finishes with my hair, I walk into the bedroom where my outfit for the day has already been laid out. A silk black, short-sleeved, fit and flare, knee-length dress, sheer black stockings, and black pumps. Chinatsu has the same outfit, and Ryu, a black suit with a maroon shirt and black tie.

Once we’re dressed, we head down to eat to find Mama, Dad, Jenny, Mark, George, and Anne already in the dining room.

We tell them, “Good morning,” and they reply, “Good morning.”

We sit down to eat. “We’re going to release the medical nanites to the public, starting today.” Jenny begins to say something, and I hold up my hand to stop her. “I’m fairly sure about what you’re going to say, Jenny. We’ll still need medical professionals, but I believe it’s time to do it. With this war and the threat of Earth or Mars being invaded… Well, I’m sure you can see the need. We need every man, woman, and child that we can get. So, my people dying from something as stupid as an accident makes no sense.”

“I thought you were going to wait until Dakota finished with the new nanites that would limit women to two births,” Anne states.

I shrug. “We’re at war, and as I said, we’ll need every person we can get. Plus, with Mars habitable now, it’s not like we have to worry about population any time soon. I’m still hoping that the exploration ships will find another habitable planet soon as well. Cal sent one to Beta Hydri last night.”

“You’re still sending them out,” Dad asks.

“Of course. It’s more important than ever to find other habitable planets. If we find one, I’m going to transport 300,000 colonists to it in secret and have the information scrubbed from all our networks. That way, if something happens, humanity will still have a chance to survive. 100,000 men and 200,000 fertile women, who’ll be given my nanites. I plan to send a large fleet along with them if we do find one.” I look at Mama and Dad. “I want you to go with them as well and take our sisters’ and brothers’ with you. I need you safe and to help everyone restart.”

Mama’s eyes fly wide-open, and she adamantly states, “That’s not happening! We are not leaving you!”

I quirk an eyebrow at her. “Believe me when I say that you’re going. If I have to have them put you two in chains to do it, you’re going, so please, don’t fight me on this,” I state forcefully. Looking over to Anne, I say, “I’ll need you and George to go along as well to be my Governors. They’ll need experienced leaders, and I can’t think of two more qualified people than you.” Anne frowns, but she nods. “I don’t want to do this, but we need a backup plan just in case the worst happens,” I quietly say. “I’ve already got them building a colony ship on the other side of the sun from us, and it should be ready in a few months.”

Everyone is quiet as we finish breakfast.

We’ll be hopping around the world to several places today to give variations of the same speech. Arlington first, Delhi next, and then Moscow.

Walking onto the stage after General Jason Chambers, General Walter Kleinhaus, and Admiral Calvin Jessup have finished their speeches, everyone present bows, curtsies, or salutes as I make my way to the podium.

“Thank you, General Chambers, General Kleinhaus, and Admiral Jessup, for your moving words and for your service to the Sol system. Members of Congress, members of the Crown Armed Forces, veterans, and all citizens of the Sol system, thank you for joining us as we honor the brave men and women who gave their lives for ours.

“Words can’t begin to express the depth of their devotion, their love for our worlds, their bravery, and their courage. We can only hope that every day, we prove worthy of their sacrifice and service. However, all too often do we forget to acknowledge the sacrifice made by their families and loved ones left behind.

“The men and women of the Crown military understand more than most ever could or ever will the wounds and burdens of war. Not only have they served our worlds in many ways. Enduring hardships, sacrificing their time and ultimately their lives in service to humanity.

“General Kleinhaus and his incredible wife Karen have borne the single most difficult hardship of them all, the loss of their son, Robert. Major Kleinhaus was a gifted fighter pilot in the Crown Space Service for 12 years. Robert died fighting the threat we face from our enemies around an unnamed moon in Tau Ceti.

“General Kleinhaus and Karen; Robert’s wife Heather, daughters Kate and Andrea; and the entire Kleinhaus family, today 2.1 billion hearts joined together with yours. We grieve with you. We honor your sacrifice. And we pledge to you that we will always remember Robert and what he did for all of us.

“I mention the Kleinhaus family because they represent military families across the system who carry the burden of our freedom on their shoulders. It is because of families like yours that all of our families can live in safety and peace.

“To every military family member who honors us with your presence, you lost sons and daughters, husbands and wives, mothers and fathers. They each had their own names, their own stories, and most of all, their own dreams. They were guardians sent to us by God, and they all shared many things in common, but the common traits they certainly shared were their love of their fellow man and their dedication to the defense of our worlds. In my opinion, they are true heroes and heroines. Although they were here for only a brief time before God called them home, their legacy will endure forever. It is up to the rest of us to ensure their sacrifices are not in vain.

“General Douglas MacArthur once said that ‘The soldier who is called upon to offer and to give his life for his country is the noblest development of mankind.’ Here on this hallowed ground, we honor the noblest among us, the men and women who willingly paid the ultimate price to guarantee our freedom and safety. We pay tribute to those who lost their lives, but also to the brave souls who race into gunfire, fly into battle, and run into hell to face down evil. They made their sacrifice not for fame, money, or even for glory, but to preserve humanity.

“Since time immemorial, brave warriors, in every generation, have answered the call of duty and won victory for freedom in its hour of need. Today, a new generation of warriors are fighting to win the battle against an unknowable threat, risking their lives to protect humanity from an enemy that attacked a peaceful exploration ship, killing many of them.

“We are joined today by the wife of Captain Michael Owens, who has been returned to us and now rests in these hallowed grounds. As Jane tells us, Michael was a man who loved Earth with every fiber of his being. He loved nothing more than to explore the wonders that Earth offers with his wife when he was off duty. Michael was a talented, tough-minded man who worked his way up through the ranks and then volunteered to explore the universe searching for new homes for humanity. In everything he did, he gave his all.

“Jane, we grieve with you. We offer you our support, our strength, and our deep, abiding love and gratitude. You’ve lost your husband, and our worlds have lost a brave man and explorer. Together, we will preserve his memory. Today, tomorrow, and always.

“We are also joined by David and Rose Byers, the parents of Major Andrew Byers. He worked hard and graduated at the top of his class. After the formation of the Commonwealth, he transitioned into the Crown military, where he continued his service, leading his men into dangerous and unknown territory.

“There, a night-long battle ensued. Andrew and his team fought off wave after wave of enemy warriors. When artillery struck his unit, Andrew ran through the smoke and through a hail of gunfire to rescue one of his men. In the midst of this torrent of gunfire and danger, Andrew risked everything to safeguard his man. He succeeded, but in saving his life, Andrew was killed by an unseen warrior.

“To his parents, David and Rose, we stand in awe of your son and his courageous sacrifice. On behalf of humanity, I offer you our everlasting gratitude for what your son did for our worlds, his fellow soldiers, and all of us.

“Andrew’s father told me that he holds on to the promise of Joshua, Chapter 1, Verse 9: ‘The Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.’

“To every family that has lost someone, God is with you, and your loved ones are with Him. They died so that we may live in peace, free from the fear of attack. I believe that God has a special place in heaven for those who have laid down their lives so that others may live.

“Now let us pledge to make the most of that freedom that they so gallantly and brilliantly fought for and died to protect.

“While we can’t know the extent of your pain, what we do know is that our gratitude to them and to you is boundless and undying. We’ll always be there for you and your family should you need us. Their stories are now woven into our souls and into the beating hearts of our people.

“We can never replace them. We can never repay them. However, we can and will always remember them. Today, that is what we are doing, we remember and we honor them. Words cannot wipe away the tears or bring back their smiling faces. Yet, if your fellow citizens will take a moment to look into your eyes, tell you how much we thank you, that we pray for you, and how we grieve with you, then hopefully, you can find some small piece of comfort in your pain. Every time you see the sunrise, please know that your brave sons and daughters pushed away the night and delivered to all of us a bright new day.

“Thank you. God bless you. God bless our fallen heroes. God bless their families. God bless our military. And God bless and preserve our Commonwealth.”

Once I leave the stage, Jason, Walter, and Cal walk over to me. “Your Majesty, that was a wonderful speech. We thank you for your kind words,” Cal tells me.

“I owe them nothing less, Cal, and I owe their families as much as I can do for them. It won’t replace their loved ones, but they’ll be receiving a stipend for the rest of their lives.”

“Thank you, Your Majesty.” I nod. “Though, that isn’t what we came to you about. We’d like to have a meeting tomorrow to discuss something,” Walter states.

As always: A huge thank you to all my Patreons!

8