Chapter 030: Conscription
87 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Advance chapters are available for Patreons

If you enjoy this novel or have a suggestion, please leave a comment or message me to let me know! Thanks!

Join me on Discord

Yui stands at the podium, and merely states, “Ladies and Gentlemen, please stand to welcome, Her Majesty, The Queen.”

Everyone stands to bow or curtsy as I walk to the podium. After I reach it, I state, “You may be seated.

“Good morning, although many people will not think so after my announcement.

“I come before you today to talk to all of my people. When I ascended to my throne, I told you that I will defend you, your children, and your grandchildren, but in war, no one person can do that. In this case, we are all responsible for our safety and security. However, some seem to believe differently.

“Look around. No one can miss the devastation from the Alkarin invasion of our home. No one could possibly ignore the casualty lists that are being broadcast, and the reports of destroyed or damaged ships.

“This morning, I want to reiterate to you what we face. The Alkarin are implacable, though some seem to think their statement of wiping humanity from the universe is a mere exaggeration. Anyone who can still believe that after the events of the last 6 weeks is either a fool or an idiot.

“I’ve said it before. We are in a fight for our very survival. All of humanity faces total extinction unless we all fight. It’s time that everyone faces this reality. This isn’t someone else’s fight. You can’t simply sit back and hope others protect you and yours. It’s all of our responsibility.

“The Alkarin invasion of the Sol system was devastating, and many are saying that I and the military didn’t do enough to protect the system.”

I pause and look around to see several reporters nod. I stress my next few words. “That is utter nonsense!” I pause again for effect. “Yes, the Alkarin were able to land on Earth and Mars, and we lost a lot of people. There’s no denying that fact. I feel the weight of every single one of those deaths, and I mourn their loss with you.

“The Alkarin came in numbers we never imagined they could. Our fleet did a heroic job of tying them up in the outer system before they were finally able to destroy them. I challenge you to imagine for a moment if they hadn’t. It wouldn’t be a stretch to believe that the Alkarin would have laid waste to much, if not all, of Earth with the heavy weapons their fleet could have provided them.”

I pause again to allow that to sink in.

“In view of the nature of this undeniable threat, I can categorically state that humanity has no hope of peace with their Empress and the Alkarin warrior sect. If any of you still believe that’s a possibility, I encourage you to abandon those thoughts.

“On to other subjects. It’s quite apparent that some of you believe this war isn’t your concern. Defenses and ships that should have been built and should have been in the fight to defend the system weren’t completed simply due to a lack of personnel to complete them. We offered extraordinary pay and incentives to those with the experience we needed, but rather than take on the burden willingly, they walked away after repeated requests for their help. I suppose they thought that helping to defend humanity is someone else’s problem, or that the jobs were simply too dangerous. Allow me to quash that kind of thinking. We’re all responsible for defending humanity.

“Those people ignore the video proof, the Alkarin statements, and what they see with their own eyes in an attempt to see no evil and hear no evil, even though they know in their hearts that this evil exists and is doing its all to wipe us out. They ignore our cities and civilian bunkers being destroyed. They stick their heads in the sand when shown the reports of the destruction of the cities and bunkers, just as they do with the slaughter of over a quarter-million men, women, and children on Mars. They stick their fingers in their ears and close their eyes while they chant ‘La-la-la’ when shown the total destruction of the fleet base on Phobos and the shipyards. The Alkarin spared no one on or around Mars.”

I lean forward, place my forearms on the podium and tilt my head as I continue. “I have to ask, do you truly believe that ignoring the facts will keep you safe? Will you be less frightened if the news doesn’t report the death and destruction?

“Frankly, I hope the news does frighten each and every one of you. It scares me witless and keeps me up at night. There is a threat to us all, a danger against which we must all help defend. The danger won’t simply disappear by crawling into bed and pulling the covers over our heads like children hiding from the boogeyman.

“It saddens me and at the same time infuriates me beyond words to state that the events of these last few weeks might have been avoided had people done their part. The Commonwealth is all of our concern. I’m asking more of you now than I ever have before, but we must defend our Commonwealth, or be erased from the universe. That is not an exaggeration, it is a simple fact.”

Yes, I sent colonists to Beta Hydri, but I will not make that public knowledge, and it’s been thoroughly sanitized from all computer systems.

“One of our strengths has always been our commitment to each other. Each of us is our brother’s keeper. Another is our technology. In the last 20 years, we’ve made more technological leaps than at any other time in human history. However advanced that technology is, it’s useless without personnel to build it so it can be put to use. Nanites and automation can help, but they can’t do everything. We need the skill and stamina of qualified people. Is some of what I ask for some of you to do dangerous? Of course, it is. However, just as it is my responsibility to protect you with my all, I have the right to expect the men and women of the Commonwealth will discharge their responsibilities to me and the urgent needs of our defense.

“Folks, listen to me. The Alkarin have far more manpower and resources at their disposal than we do, and the only advantage we have is our technology. However, for our technology to mean anything, it has to be put to use. It’s meaningless unless we have the people to build it, so it can be put to use.

“I had hoped that citizens would see that everyone needs to contribute of their own accord because we need all of us working together to win this war faster and with less loss of life on both sides. Sadly, many seem to think this war is someone else’s problem. With that in mind, yesterday I talked to the Congressional liaison, Kevin Jaques, and that same day, they passed a Universal Conscription Bill for all persons from 18 to 100, which I signed into law this morning.”

I stress this next part. “Hear me. This war is everyone’s problem. We all live or die together. Your personal opinions mean nothing here, not when everyone’s survival is at stake. I do not care if you are against war. I do not care if you are a pacifist. I do not care if you are a conscientious objector. All of that means literally nothing if all of humanity dies for your ideals! Everyone will contribute in some way. The military will attempt to accommodate your beliefs to an extent, but beyond that, you will serve when you are called to do so.”

I pause, take a breath, and slowly let it out as I look from camera to camera.

“Now, starting at noon today, system notices will be sent out for people to report to the nearest intake facility for duty. There is hard, dangerous work to be done, and yes, some of you might die doing it. But, let me stress, do not fail to report. There is nowhere to run and hide. If you do, we will track you down, you will be charged, tried, convicted, and finally, you will serve the rest of your long life in prison for Evasion. You might die doing your duty, but believe me when I tell you that it’s far better than the alternative. Trust me, you will not enjoy living out the remainder of your lives at Unalaska Island.

“Thank you for your time and attention today.”

I turn and begin walking off the stage as reporters throw questions at me until one question catches my attention.

“Your Majesty, why would you go so far as to violate the trust the citizens have placed in you?

I stop in my tracks and turn to glare at him as I flatly state, “You’re either blind, deaf, or stupid.”

I look around at the other reporters as I ask, “Did you not hear me? Was I not clear in what I said?”

Several others nod, and I look back to Mr. Gentry and acidly ask, “Mr. Gentry, do you believe for one microsecond that I wanted to do this?” He shrugs. “You’re a fool, then. I’m always thinking of my citizens. The aftermath of this invasion should’ve forcefully brought home to you what kind of war we are in. I’ll say it again, just so it’s absolutely clear, Mr. Gentry. We are outmanned and outgunned. Just so my intentions are known, this conscription isn’t all about getting fleet personnel or ground troops to do the fighting, although we need them too. It’s more about having the skilled people who refused to step up to make the tools we need to prosecute this war.

“Had they done so, events would have likely not turned out as they have.

I look around the room again. “I can’t believe you, of all people, would even ask me that. You were at CMCC when the invasion began. You saw the live reports of the fighting on the ground, and the relayed reports from the defense satellites of the fleet action. You saw firsthand how many ships and people we lost, and yet, here you are stating that I’m somehow violating my people’s trust by telling them that everyone is responsible for humanity’s safety.”

I squat down and glare at him. “I’ll have you know, my family and I have trained to use combat armor and their associated weapon systems. We will fight if necessary. Can you say the same? That said, if Congress believes I’m no longer fit to be Queen, then they may introduce a bill to remove me. Until then, I will do what I believe is best for all of us.”

Without another word, I stand up in the deathly quiet room and walk off the stage.

 ◇ ◆ ◇ ◆ ◇ ◆ ◇

Back in my office, I sit down and cover my eyes with my hands as I rest my elbows on my desk.

I hate that I had to go that far, but I was left with little choice. So many citizens didn’t step up voluntarily, so I had little choice but to force the issue and make them.

Removing my hands, I shake my head as if doing so will remove my disgust with the whole situation since I should have never had to order a draft.

 ◇ ◆ ◇ ◆ ◇ ◆ ◇

While I was making my announcement, orders went out to our fleet at Sigma Draconis. Several carrier groups, the strike fighter divisions, and medical ships are ordered to remain in the system to harass and prevent them from gathering their forces to potentially launch another strike on the Sol system.

By two o’clock local time, it’s abundantly clear that many citizens have taken my speech to heart and are volunteering rather than waiting to be called in. That simple fact makes me extremely proud of my people. I’m unsure whether it’s shame, or that they’ve taken what I said to heart, that is the driving factor for those who had the skills we needed and refused to take the jobs. Either, way I’m proud of them, and happy they’ve stepped up.

As always: A huge thank you to all my Patreons!

7