Encounter 20: The Failure
95 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Verde: Jad… I cannot express how sorry I am. 

Verde, may I ask you a simple question? 

 Verde: O-Of course Jad. 

Do I have any reason to trust you after you subjected me to this hell? After being exposed to such damning and horrific things? I know what you are thinking, Verde, but I will not let you near my mind. Whatever trust I had for you has been demolished. You hurt me too much, and while these memories, along with the vile feelings they evoke, are ones I would rather live without, I would rather live with them than allow you to tamper with the inner workings of my brain.

Verde: Jad, please, please don’t… Look, this entire time, your actions, your emotions, they were not really your own. You were influenced by Abigale Quinlan’s body. She was in control of you even as you were moving her body as your own. She released pheromones that influenced those around you, having them want to be with you, trust you, to despise you depending on the person. You were tricked by a master, a genius who has gone insane as centuries passed. You did nothing wrong! This is my fault, all of it!

Verde: I am the idiot, the fool, the dimwitted ignoramus, the insufferable imbecile who dared to touch the foulness that is this Abigale Quinlan. I had the audacity to believe that a happy ending would happen from this scenario, a scenario I failed to review before subjecting you to it. I hurt you, I scarred you, and I… I fucked up! I really am a retard through and through!

Verde: This is all a mess, all my fault, and I should be punished for making such a mistake, such a deadly and damnable decision. I do not deserve this power, this life, for I am flawed and unfit to hold the responsibility I do.

Verde: I am sorry Jad, beyond words. I wanted to enrich your life, save you from an unsatisfactory and mediocre existence. One where you are unsuccessful, unsatisfied, and unhappy not only with your current position in life but your very self. I saw your future and knew that if I did not step in to help guide and enrich your life, you would be miserable, hateful, and too afraid to do anything but continue your actions. All while those you cherish and love drift away from you by your own accord, feeling as if you had grown apart from them. That you did not deserve their friendship. I wanted to save you from this existence, help you grow into a stronger person, into someone who would truly value and respect themselves. 

Verde: But I made too many mistakes in pursuing that idea, and now… here we are.

Here you are, Verde. Thank you for telling me that. I will try to avoid ending up in such a miserable state. However… I still cannot trust you after what you put me through. It may have just been one mistake, it may have been genuine… but that does not change what happened to me. I’m leaving this pocket dimension of yours, and I will return home. I feel like I should thank you for everything you’ve done for me… but I don’t want to. 

Verde: Is there really nothing I can do to make this up to you, Jad? Please, just—

Abschied, Verde Dusk.

Verde: …Ja, abschied, Jad Novus.


Verde: It’s all over, isn’t it? This whole experiment has been a failure… and it’s all my fault. One mistake can have dire consequences and this… this is no different. It cost me an opportunity to do something good. It cost me a friendship. I’m sorry Jad. I’m sorry Abigale. I’m sorry everyone. But I feel this is for the best.

As Verde sat in her domain, isolated and alone, with the door across her shut, never to be opened again, she hung her head down in shame. The room around her morphed as she remained seated, with the walls, furnishings, and even the share she sat in all shifting from the trappings one would expect to see in a psychiatrist’s office to that of a bedroom. A quaint, simple bedroom with few fixtures aside from a bed, a desk, a chair, and a computer that resided before Verde. She brought both hands to the keyboard and began to type rapidly, opening up a black window with white text that she quickly populated, entering line after line with extreme efficiency. 

As she did this, Verde danced a finger across a key on her keyboard, and music began to play. The melancholic piano melody that followed, a song by the name of Komm, süßer Tod, played as Verde diligently worked at her desk, and as the instrumentals played out, she began to sing along to the music.

Verde: It’s true, I went and failed you all, I’ve been such a fool you know, I believed I could live for just myself.

Verde: And here, after all the aches and strain, I now know that those I love are far more important than anything.

Verde: So with a heavy heart, I feel the best thing I can do is end it now and forever

Verde: It’s done now and forevermore, it’s been rot down to its core, I no longer know of joy, my world has ended.

Verde: I know that I could turn back time, but now the guilt is all mine, I’ll not live without the trust of those I loved.

Verde: I know, I can’t forget the past, I can’t forget sin and hate, because the guilt is killing me inside.

Verde: If I return to nothing, it all starts crumbling down, crumbling down, crumbling down.

Verde: If I return to nothing, I won’t keep letting them down, letting them down, letting them down.

Verde: In my darkened soul, I know I can never hope again, I’m left with just nothing.

Verde: Just nothing.

Verde: Nothing that matters to me or matters to the world!

Verde: I know that I could turn back time, but now the guilt is all mine, I’ll not live without the trust of those I loved.

Verde: I know, I can’t forget the past, I can’t forget sin and hate, because the guilt is killing me inside.

Verde: If I return to nothing, it all starts crumbling down, crumbling down, crumbling down.

Verde: If I return to nothing, I won’t keep letting them down, letting them down, letting them down.

Verde: If I return to nothing, it all starts crumbling down, crumbling down, crumbling down.

Verde: If I return to nothing, I won’t keep letting them down, letting them down, letting them down.


Once her song came to an end, Verde looked at the screen contemplatively. Strings of text laid before her, encompassing the entirety of her large screen, but one line stood out at the bottom.

A:\VDVerse\System>Cataclysm.exe

Verde held an index finger gingerly over the Enter key of her keyboard, taking one final moment to contemplate her actions… only to then flippantly slam four fingers on the key simultaneously. This caused a new line to appear at the bottom of the screen… and for the array of black and white text to twist and flicker before her eyes.

She turned away in her chair, glancing at the room before her, and the very foundation of it was crumbling away. Her walls flickered out of existence, her chair became affixed with a fuzzy outline, and before too long the floor beneath her feet had vanished, sending her into a freefall through a dark void of chaos.

Verde Dusk shattered the world she spent so much time creating. Her own personal quest of redemption and pursuit of becoming better than her predecessor, Vincent Dawn, resulted in utter and abject failure. Nothing was truly resolved, no development finalized, and her reality ended prematurely because of her own inabilities. Her inadequate order was destroyed, and not even she was safe from what followed. From the Cataclysm she executed. And it was in this Cataclysm that she became lost. 

Though, lost does not necessarily mean gone forever.

Das Ende

0