Chapter 2 – First hand
97 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Even though the Tree of Knowledge disappeared, it did not cease to exist. Only it’s location changed back to its original state, a separate world of existence for it, and just it. A location safe from any outside harm and interference and good and peaceful quiet.

While the Tree of Knowledge has no consciousness of its own and is not capable of feeling emotions, the mood within could be easily seen as dreadful and haunting. Unknown powers swirl back and forth like angry spirits on a path of revenge but never attempt to leave the place. They one by one find their places among the books, opening one after another and throwing unliked ones aside. They snugly fit themselves between the lines of words with cheerfulness as if feeling comfortable at the places they found they belong to.

Suddenly small knocks resounded through the aisle and the spirits rush to hide and smuggle themselves into places they don’t match just so that they aren’t noticed.

At the end of the infinite corridor, a door opened and a small figure stepped into the room. The large wooden gate shut itself behind her immediately and by the time she turned her head, the only things she could see were the infinite rows of bookshelves in every direction.

Under the gentle light of the lamps, her figure emerged from the darkness. A young human girl no older than twelve was gazing around nervously with a hint of fear within her eyes.

“Is anyone there?”

The tiny voice called out towards the books. No response came back. The girl put her hands together behind herself and straightened her posture in an effort to keep her calm as she walked forward what she felt to be the center of the place. Her sense of direction came purely from instinct, she had no other way to orient herself.

The girl walked forward for minutes until the title of a book caught her eyes. She stopped for a second, contemplating whether it’s worth to continue forward into the unknown or peek into the book. Life taught her that she should be careful and responsible, yet her eagerness continued to pester her. In the end, she decided to take the book with her for now in fear that she might never find it again in such confusing a place.

The girl clutched the book between her arms and chest as she continued on her path with a renewed vigor. She had trouble telling the time but it wasn’t long before she reached a counter with a single bell on top it.

The girl laid the book on the counter and used her hands to check for dust or wrinkles on her beautiful white dress before clinking the bell cautiously.

When she could not see it, the spirit-like entities flew out of the book she has been holding and floated behind a door on the other side of the counter unnoticed. A few seconds later the door opened and a short woman with mostly human features yet having cat ears stepped out, the door disappearing behind her instantly like the one she entered from. The cat-eared woman was extremely surprised at seeing the young girl before her.

“Hello there! I’m Ele, but you can call me El. What’s your name?”

The young girl was extremely awed at the woman before her. She kept staring at her ears with clear interest and affection.

“My name is Emma Wulfhild Lyveryche. Wulfhild is my family name, Lyveryche is my given name and Emma is my chosen name. Please call me Emma!”

The girl spoke very eagerly and honestly without doubting the other party.

“Well then, what brings you here?”

The woman while pretty, she looked more cute than beautiful with her cat ears. She took a look at the book on the counter between them and read the title with a gentle smile.

“The Feline Princess and the Human Knight. It is a very interesting love story, did it catch your interest?” The girl’s cheeks were dyed in red.

“I- jeesh! Do you mind if I borrow it?”

“You cannot take it out, however, you are welcome to read it here.” The woman pointed her wrist to the side at a table surrounded by comfortable chairs a few steps away from them. Needless to say, they weren’t there before.

The girl raised the book before her face to hide behind to which the woman chuckled. She guided her to a chair and poured a cup of tea.

“Where did the-” The girl tried to ask but remembering the absurd place she was in she decided to not mind it. She took a sip of the rose flavored tea and put it back on the table. “-a anyway. My uncle bought me a tiger as a pet from across the sea but no one knows what it needs. I want to learn how to care for it.

My uncle said that if we have sincerely good intentions and enter the door of knowledge within our dreams, we can learn anything. Can you teach me, please?”

The woman glanced at a book in a far away section for a brief second before patting the compassionate girl’s head.

“I believe the book in your hands will provide what you came here for. Aren’t you glad?”

El teased the girl before her causing the girl to start blushing again. She opened the book with one hand and flipped to the first page.

“A romance novel writes about pets?”

“Yes. You don’t have to hurry about reading it, you have all the time in the world.”

At her nudging, the girl took the book into her hands and began reading intently. El watched with great interest as her face changed several times and blushed on the more intimate parts. She enjoyed seeing the girl immersed within the story with great passion. Each time the tea ran out she refilled it and when the girl felt peckish she proved some snacks for them to enjoy. During the hours they spent together the cat-eared woman couldn’t help but recall her memories of the contents of the book.

The story was about a princess of a beastkin kingdom who wasn’t born very bright but had a heart made of pure gentleness. No one feared for her wanting power nor was she needed as a tool so she was left with the freedom not many possessed besides her.

Everything she had she used to help others, everything she did was for others and while in the grand scheme of things her actions were too small to be noticed, her name still became synonymous with kindness. One day the neighboring country who had bad relations kidnapped her from a village she was helping much to the surprise of everyone. This action did not make much sense at first, only later was the true reason behind it revealed.

This kind girl not only did not resent her kidnappers, but she also fell in love with one of them regardless of their race which was a rare occurrence. In the end, the many who she helped along her life, including humans, have helped her, rescued the sister of the knight that was taken hostage to threaten him and brought peace and prosperity to the land. While she was captured the two teased each other back and forth fearing the other might despise them and in the end they finally became lovers.

All in all, it’s was a simple love story about sharing kindness and helping out each other, something extremely popular with all, especially young girls.

The girl closed the book with tears streaming down her face. El handed her a handkerchief so she could clean her face.

“So, how was it?”

“It was very good!” The woman sighed awkwardly at the childish answer but still felt glad that she enjoyed the story. It is expected she would find it difficult to properly express herself.

“Which part did you like the most?”

“I liked when she turned into her primal form and carried him in her mouth because he was tired from fighting! It’s strange but funny yet so touching!”

“Yes, it was certainly… touching~” The two girls both broke out into giggles together.

“Oh no! I’ll be late. How long was I here?” The girl asked in a panic.

“I told you not to worry. Here time does not flow. When you return you will wake up in the morning normally.”

“I don’t know what that means… But I will back in time so it’s fine, isn’t it? El, can I come back to see you?”

The girl embraced the woman before her while asking.

“As long as you have a kind heart and share your stories with me, my door will be always open for you.”

2