7. Dinner
4.1k 14 108
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Ting...
Ahh... With this, the last cake is baked. My hands feel sore from stirring this and that a lot. And now I have to clean the kitchen because it's too messy here.

"Come to think of it what time is it—!? It's this late!?"

The time was eight past ten. It's way past the supposed dinner time!! Ahh, because I was so focused that I lost track of time.
I thought about taking a break, but now I can't!

I'm going to make dinner as soon as possible.

Let's make something easy like tamagoyaki, tempura, and nikujaga. Before that, I also cooked rice.

Nikujaga is an easy dish to make, it takes at least 25-30 minutes to be served immediately.

First, I took a potato and peeled the skin.

"Ouch!— This is the 4th time I've cut my finger."

My hand feels cramped from using it too much today, and it made me accidentally scratch my finger while peeling the potato because the knife kept slipping.

I immediately took the first aid kit and dripped red medicine on my injured fingers and then plastered them so that no germs could enter.

"I think this is enough."

I went back to my job to peel the potatoes. After peeling them all off, I cut them into small pieces and submerged them in the water.

And until the last moment at least I hurt my finger for the 7th time. It hurts.....

After that, I prepared a pan and sautéed the meat until it changed color. Then I add the onions, carrots, and potatoes and saute for a while.
I put the fish broth, apple juice mixed with lemon juice, and sugar into the pot.

You're asking why I didn't put the sake in? Of course, it's because it contains alcohol. It still doesn't match our current age so I used a substitute.

Finally, I added the mirin and shoyu (soy sauce) to the pan and used aluminum foil as a cover.

It will take 20-25 minutes to cook. Since it will take some time, I should check Kazuto's condition first.

"Ahh, they were sleeping."

Arriving there, I saw Kazuto, and Endou who had not yet gone were asleep on the sofa. It seemed they were playing a game while waiting for me to make dinner until they finally started to drift off and sleep. Sorry for keeping you guys waiting.

"Geez, you guys will get cold if that's the case."

I said while picked up blankets and put that on them. Seeing their sleeping faces makes me want to sleep too.

But I can't sleep now, there's still work waiting. With that, I went to the bathroom and turned on the water heater to take a shower, after that, I went back to the kitchen and cleaned it, and put the dirty stuff in the laundry. I'll wash it all at once after dinner.

"Is it ripe?"

Right after tidying up the kitchen, I checked and saw that the rice and nikujaga were cooked.

Ah, finally.
With that, I prepared and served everything to the dining table, and went to wake Kazuto and Endou.

"Nee.. Onii-chan, Endou, wake up. Dinner is ready."

Said I while shaking their bodies lightly. At first, they refused to wake up and I almost wanted to splash them with cold water. But I patiently woke them up.

"Mmm..."

Between the two of them, Endou was the first to wake up.

"Uh, Misaki? I seem to have overslept."

Endou woke up in a semi-conscious state when he saw that he was still at my house.

"Gosh, it's so late!"

He was surprised when he looked at his watch which showed it was almost nine o'clock in the evening.

"Sorry, you looked so sound asleep that I didn't dare disturb you. And because I was so busy baking I didn't have time to make dinner on time."

I made an apologetic expression to him while explaining.

"Well, it's not like there's a lot I can do at home. But people must be worried, so I'd better call them first and have them pick me up."

Endou replied casually.

Only Endou lived in his house with the maids there. He is similar to us whose parents work abroad. Because of that resemblance that probably made us close friends in the past and often invited me to play at his house.

"Well, since it's like that, how about having dinner here? Don't refuse because I have prepared dinner for three people, understand?"

"Hahaha, alright. I understand mom."

Endou replied in a mocking tone.

"Who's your mother, hah!"

I replied with an annoyed face. I don't like being called that.

It seemed that Endou had replenished his energy. After that, we woke up
Kazuto and started for dinner.

"Woah, as expected of a Misaki! Your dinner looks good at first glance."

Endou exclaimed with drooling. He looked impatient to eat.

"It's just a simple dish. Well, we'd better eat now before it gets cold."

I replied while I sat down at the dining table.

"""Itadakimasu."""

So the three of us had dinner together.

"By the way Misaki, why are you wearing gloves?"

Kazuto looked at my hand while I was eating with a curious look.

Of course the reason is simple. I want them not to know about my wound. I don't want them to worry about this small matter. But it hurts so much when I hold something that I have to use my left hand.

"W-Well, suddenly my hands feel cold so I'm wearing gloves to warm up a bit."
Said I when I looked away from Kazuto's eyes.

"..."
He was silent as he squinted his eyes focused on me.
D-Did I get caught?

"Ohh! Misaki's like that too? You know, I also get cold at night, for a known reason."

Attention was immediately directed to Endou who was also interested in our topic of conversation.

"What's the reason your hands are cold?"

Kazuto asked.

Ahh, his mind was distracted. Thank you Endou, you are my savior! Next time I'll give in to you while playing the game again later.

But I also wanted to know why his hands had turned cold, so Kazuto and I looked at him seriously while waiting for his answer.

"Well, I put my hand in a bucket full of ice cubes."

""...""

We immediately fell silent when we heard the answer. I even heard of it for the first time and never knew this in the first place, so I was indeed surprised.

"...Why are you guys looking at me like that?"

He asked confusedly while brought the food to his mouth.

"Of course your hands will get cold after you put them in the ice bucket, idiot!"

"—Kuahk!"

Kazuto was annoyed at having taken him seriously earlier and immediately threw the seat cushion in Endou's face causing him to fall backward along with his chair.

Wait, how can a seat cushion be that strong?

"Nii-chan, Endou, we're eating. So don't make a fuss."

I told them to stop them before this place messed up.

"Ugh... My back..."

"Sorry, I missed it."

Kazuto sitting back down and ignoring Endou after that.

"At least tell me that too!"

Endou shouted at him for being ignored.

"Ohh, sorry there was a plane passing in your face. So I reflexively hit it so it wouldn't bother you."

"Things that big can't get past my face! Besides, you're more annoying than that!"

Haha, I couldn't help but sigh watching them do tsukkomi over dinner.
The commotion ended after dinner. Kazuto and Endou helped me wash the dirty dishes. Though I have to say that Endou is quite clumsy since he does come from a rich family so he never does housework.

"Well, it turned out to be fun to eat with you guys too. I've decided, I'll be staying here for dinner every day."

Endou said when he said goodbye because the driver had arrived.

""Eat alone at your house!!""

Hearing those words, Kazuto and I both shouted to him.

"Ha ha ha ha."

Endou just laughed at our refusal because he had guessed it.

"Then see you tomorrow at school. Thanks for the dinner."

With that Endou left our residence. The car he was traveling in slowly drifted down the street in the dark of the night until it disappeared when he turned.

Now our house is quiet again without his presence.

"That noisy fellow has finally left."

Said Kazuto with a sigh.

"Well, his nature is quite annoying. But that's what makes him fun."

I replied.

"You are right."

"By the way Misaki..."

Kazuto's sentence was delayed for a moment before looking into my eyes.
"...Can you show me your right hand?"

!? Why does he still remember!? I thought he had forgotten about it!
"U-Um, my hands are still cold—"

Before I could fully speak, Kazuto grabbed my shoulder and looked at me.

"Please, show me your hand."

Uuuu, there's no way I can dodge if he looks at me like that. And heavily showing my injured fingers to him.

"Does it hurt? How did you get hurt like this?"

he asked when he gently held my hand.

"A little sore, but that's okay. My hands are a little cramped after a long time of baking, and when I found out that dinner time was over, I hurriedly cooked and became like this after peeling the potatoes."

I explained.

"I see."

He just stared at my injured finger and patted my head.

"Stupid little sister. You can ask me to help you if that's the case."

"Ohh, even knowing that Endou and I had painstakingly awakened you, Onii-chan still dared to say that?"

I said with a mocking smile.

Kazuto's face immediately twitched before laughing dryly from embarrassment.

Kazuto was the one who worried too much about me, even if it was a light thing. He also sometimes gets mad at me when he's too careless, then after that gently apologizes and takes care of me. That's how he is now. He thinks that I am a child who needs to be protected, even though I am an adult who can take good care of myself.

Well, anyway it's a natural thing to worry about your sister. But the treatment was too much for me.

"But, how did you know that my hand was injured?"

Now it's my turn to ask him.

He seemed to think for a moment before answering.

"During dinner, I saw your hands move unnaturally while holding the chopsticks. Besides, your eyebrows always twitch when you hold something in your right hand, and while helping you wash the dishes I saw a used first aid kit that hadn't been put back in. I guess so?"

I don't know why now I hate my fast analytical skills. Why don't you work as a detective later?

"Ohh, may I know what we'll have for breakfast tomorrow?"

Why even ask for breakfast now.

"As usual. Miso soup, etc. Is there anything Onii-chan wants me to make?"

"No, nothing. I was just asking."

Now he smiled mysteriously which I did not understand at all what it meant.

We quickly entered the house as it was getting colder outside, then took turns taking showers. Since it was late, we didn't do anything else and went to bed right away, waiting for the next day to come.

108