60. Burden That Starting to Disappear
467 3 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Uwaaaa, please forgive me! Hiks, it's all my fault!"

The sound of crying echoed in the room. The smell of anesthesia and medicine made it clear that this was one of the rooms in a hospital.

Meanwhile, the crying child, Misaki, continued to shed tears while apologizing to the three people in front of her, while hugging them.

"Uuu, stop crying, my little princess. I will cry too if you keep going like this, understand?"

The reason Misaki was crying was because her parents, who were supposed to be overseas, had come to visit her. So, seeing them here made her cry immediately because she felt like she had inconvenienced them by making them come back.

After being comforted enough by her mother, Misaki slowly stopped crying, although she was still sniffling.

"No need to cry like that, it's also our fault for rarely coming home. So doing something like this a few times won't be a problem, especially knowing that our little princess is being treated in the hospital, we were very worried."

Her father spoke with a regretful expression while forcing a smile. If only they had more free time to go on vacation, no, if only they didn't work overseas, they could have had the life that a normal family should have, and maybe this accident wouldn't have happened because someone would have been able to accompany her somewhere.

"Putting that aside, you've made your brother worried, you know. He suddenly called us in a panic and said that you were injured and being treated in the hospital. He was always by your side at that time and it made him skip school for days, if we didn't arrive yesterday, he probably would have continued his actions."

Her father added while patting Kazuto's head, who had been looking down all this time. His face looked gloomy. It was clear he was feeling pressured.

"Onii-chan, forgive me for making you worry. I should have gone with someone to accompany me if I knew this would happen."

Misaki apologized, her voice filled with regret.

Kazuto's head lifted as he gave her a faint smile.

"No, I should be the one apologizing. I thought I could leave you alone at that time, but it was actually my decision to let you go that made you like this."

He said, falling back into his gloomy mood. If only he had told Misaki to stop and wait for him, this things would never have happened, and he wouldn't feel this regret. He could only hate himself for not being able to protect her.

"It's okay, stop feeling guilty. What has happened cannot be stopped. But look, I'm still here."

Misaki tried to encourage Kazuto, who was still in a dark mode. She didn't like seeing him unhappy because of this. If she could, she wanted to erase that feature from him.

Her mother could only stroke Kazuto's head and ask him to stop thinking about what had happened. Regret would only make someone think negatively and produce something bad.

"By the way, about the child who saved you. His name is Shirogane, right? He's a good kid, we visited him and thanked him for helping you. You two are acquainted, right?"

Her father tried to change the mood with this question.

"Yeah, we met when I helped his lost younger sibling and that's how we got to know each other."

"He said the same thing, he said he is very grateful for your help back then. Unfortunately, we couldn't greet him today because he has been discharged from the hospital. Next time, we will invite him and his family over to our house and treat them as a sign of gratitude after you recover."

"R-Really? I also want to properly express my thanks to him."

... So that's what Shirogane meant earlier. No wonder he said they would meet often. Misaki thought to herself.

She was still a bit shocked from her encounter with Shirogane. There were too many thoughts swirling in her head, so she wasn't paying much attention to her parents' words afterward.

On the other hand, Kazuto also saw Misaki's troubled expression and thought that she still seemed unwell, so he asked her to rest more.

"Ah, right. We need to ask the doctor about the cost of your treatment and how long you need to stay here. So Kazuto, please take care of Misaki for a while."

After that, their parents walked towards the exit and left them behind.

"..."

"Onii-chan."

Misaki called Kazuto to sit next to her with a gentle voice. Kazuto, who kept standing still, was moved by her voice and listened to what she ordered.

Misaki smiled slightly because he looked like a child, so her hand secretly reached for Kazuto's head and started to stroke it like a fur ball.

"Onii-chan, you know, right, that this is not your fault that I got hurt?"

"Yes..."

"Hehe, then why are you so gloomy?"

"Because I shouldn't have left you alone at that time..."

"Hahh, that regret will not end if Onii-chan does not get rid of it by yourself. But I'm here now and I'm fine. So Onii-chan should feel happy rather than gloomy like that."

Misaki then pulled and brought Kazuto into her embrace. Her hand was small, but big enough to hold the weight of Kazuto's head on her head.

Kazuto closed his eyes and pondered his actions on the day Misaki left.

He really regretted his decision at that time. As a result, Misaki ended up being injured by a stranger who had mental problems. If he was there, he could have protected her. But that's how it all happened. Luckily there was that kid, Misaki's life was saved. He was very grateful to him.

"Forgive me..."

"There, there. It's okay. Now smile so that your sister can also be infected to do it."

Misaki said, fiddling with Kazuto's face so that he was forced to smile badly. Misaki had to laugh because of that because his face became weird.

"Owkway, your browther will smiwling correctlwy, so stowp breawk my fwace."

Kazuto said, whose mouth was hard to speak with Misaki's hand pinching both corners of his mouth so that his words became strange.

Misaki with a small laugh on her lips finally let go of him after playing for a little while.

"Well, that's what I call a smile."

Misaki said, smiling broadly seeing Kazuto's face better with positive emotions.

Kazuto and Misaki, even though their entities have changed, they can understand each other's situation well with just a little attention. They complement each other when the other has a problem, but also hold back if they can do it themselves. Such a condition was made by them living together for years that Misaki could not do in the past. So Misaki understood very well what Kazuto was worried about just by how his eyes looked and how his expression was quite depressed.

"Then.."

And just like Misaki understood Kazuto, the opposite can also be felt by Kazuto.

"... How about you?"

Misaki paused for a moment before asking again.

"... What do you mean, Onii-chan?"

"How is your state of mind right now... You should know what I mean."

After saying that, Kazuto held Misaki's hands in his grasp.

After reliving her life as Misaki, it didn't mean that she had a hardened mind because of past experiences. As a contrary, she had become something that could break at any moment due to the complications and turmoil she had to endure because of the changes in her life. Because of that, she could be hurt by something insignificant to others. Even her own parents, who were closest to her, couldn't notice it.

"... Honestly, I still feel shocked after waking up. Even I... It seems like my phobia of strangers has returned, or maybe even worse. I'm scared of the nurses who come to me even though I know they won't hurt me."

Misaki explained with a bitter smile.

Indeed, the old fear had returned. But at least she could control it better so that not many people noticed. Except for Kazuto, who already understood him well.

"It's okay. I believe that with time, it will get better."

"Let's hope so... But by the way, why did Onii-chan stroke my cheek instead of my head?"

Misaki asked, a little annoyed and tired. She couldn't push him away in her current condition.

"Your head is injured, so I can't do it in the right place."

Kazuto replied, pretending not to care about Misaki's unpleasant gaze.

"Ah, that makes sense. I accept that answer."

Misaki replied, after thinking for a moment and choosing to back down from a possible argument. But she also secretly enjoyed it while keeping a pouty face.

Kazuto smiled faintly at her younger sister's cute face, as her expression and thoughts conflicted with each other.

Looking out the window behind Kazuto's back, the cloudy but sunny weather and the summer breeze blowing the leaves from the trees further calmed Misaki.

With everything that has happened so far, and the future that she managed to change, her mind has returned to peace because of the problems she managed to solve. She felt that her mission was now complete.

"Well, I hope peaceful days like this can continue."

She murmured, unheard by anyone.

...

Misaki's parents returned shortly after with the nurse and doctor who did a recheck.

Based on the X-ray results and the latest examination, fortunately, Misaki's head only suffered a small fracture and did not sustain any fatal internal injuries. This was quite a relief, although she still had to stay in the hospital for a few more days.

"And please, don't make your head to take any strong impact, as it could have fatal consequences." 

The doctor warned before leaving.

Hearing this, Misaki wondered if it would be alright to put a turtle shell on her head, but she quickly dismissed the strange thought.

Besides, are there any Pokémon here?

If she were to ask that question, Kazuto would probably wear a sad expression and think that his sister was suffering from a mental disorder.

So, she ultimately kept her mouth shut.

"Uaghhhhhh, Misaki! I was so worried about you!! *sniff sniff..."

And in the evening, Endou accompanied by his servant Raphael came to visit.... In a surprising entrance, Endou burst through the door and immediately hugged Misaki upon seeing that she had regained consciousness... Yes, he hugged her with tears.

"Stay away from me, Endou! Your tears is disgusting! Don't hug me! Your crying sounds like a slaughtered cow!"

"Uagghhhh! Misaki, forgive me for not following you then! uugghhh *sniff sniff!"

And due to the commotion caused, as well as Kazuto feeling extremely disturbed for being awakened in the middle of his sleep, Endou was finally disciplined to stay silent.

(Due to excessively bloody scenes, the scene was not included in the story)

Don't cut in the middle of the story either, Author...

[...]

And that's how Misaki and Endou were finally able to have a conversation like humans.

"Uhhh... I'm sorry, you have a bump on your head because of Onii-chan."

Misaki said, awkwardly smiling.

Because of the disturbance he caused, Kazuto finally tapped his head a few times, causing Endou to now have a bump on top of his head... Yes, he had a bump on top of the bump on his head that made Misaki feel pity. Although it also happened because of his mistake.

"Ughhh, my head. It's fine, after all, it's my fault for shouting in the hospital. Luckily it wasn't a guard pulling my collar."

"Haha, I really wanted to see that happen."

"You... Is this what they call laughing at someone's suffering over loyalty? Whatever it is, how are you feeling?"

"I'm fine. There's nothing wrong with my body, I just need a few more days of rest here before I can be allowed to go home."

"That's good to hear."

Hearing Misaki's condition and seeing her face without any abnormalities made him feel relieved. He thought she might experience shock and trauma because of what happened to her. But that was just excessive worry.

"By the way, I brought some fruits for you to eat."

Endou tried to change the topic. Shortly after, Raphael returned carrying a basket of fruits and a plastic bag in his hands.

"I also bought some snacks for you and Kazuto if he wants them," he added, taking one of the snacks he had bought at the supermarket and throwing it towards Kazuto, who was pretending to sleep while sitting on a bench not far away.

Kazuto, who was pretending to sleep because he had already woken up earlier, caught the object thrown at him with his instincts and immediately threw it back, hitting Endou in the face.

"Darn it, he's still awake."

"Both of you, it's impolite to throw food like that."

After a scolding from Misaki, they finally apologized.

"Well, I should be going home then."

Seeing that the time was getting late, Endou intended to leave.

"Wow, that's quick."

"Haha, actually my father sent me some work in the morning, and I haven't even completed half of it yet. So, I want to go home and take care of it."

Hearing this made Misaki feel bad because she promised to help Endou every time his father gave him work.

"Ughh... I'm sorry I can't help you this time. Hey, Onii-chan, please help Endou. He might go bald if he has to use his second-rate head on his own."

Kazuto refused to help because he needed to take care of Misaki.

And as for Endou...

"Ahem! You're even ridiculing me when I'm trying to help!"

He seemed okay to do it all by himself.

"Take care on the road."

Misaki said as she waved her hand.

"And bring more snacks."

Kazuto added, checking the contents of the plastic bag brought by Endou.

"Onii-chan..."

"Is food more important than my safety..."

In the end, Endou went home after almost having a verbal showdown with Kazuto.

And that's how the day ended.

... By the way, the next day Sakura and Shinomiya visited, where Sakura came in crying and trying to hug Misaki with her tears like Endou, and Shinomiya hit her on the head for being too noisy.

Misaki thought she had seen it somewhere. Unfortunately, it really wasn't in her memory.

14