Chapter 3 – Luminous City
64 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Luminous city was one of the newer cities. Built by the King two generations ago, it used a lot of the newer technologies. Enchanted metals that displayed maps. Metal cards that held your money instead of having tons of gold in a storage ring.

 

The city used a lot of enchanted metal, and therefor they were big on those two things. Metal suppliers, blacksmiths, and enchanters.

 

Enchanters used to be called formation masters, until someone a few centuries ago realised you can also create formations that draws of the ambient forces in the air, powering different pieces of technology to make life easier.

 

Most of these were expensive, but Luminous City was famous for its academy, producing many a great enchanters and researchers that could progress the development of technologies.

 

Due to this the Guards in Luminous City were one of the better ones, only rivaled by the Royal Guard in the capital.

 

The city itself was different than the others, instead of building wide, they built high. Most buildings were at least 6 or 7 floors, and at its center stood two important buildings. Luminous Academy, and Phoenix Pavillion.

 

The Academy took in all sorts of students, and had a mantra that everyone had a talent, it was only to be discovered. There were a wide variety of courses and studies.

 

The Pavillion was a nexus for trade, requests and auctions. Anything you needed could be found in the Pavillion. Buying, selling, requesting a specific item. Subjugation requests, bounties. There was almost nothing you couldn’t find or do in the Pavillion.

 

It was a network that spread across the continent, and if the stories are to believed, across multiple continents. The Phoenix Pavillion was a force even the mightiest empires and strongest sects would think twice about offending.

 

Standing at the gate of said city was a girl and her companion. The duo was garnering a lot of looks, whispers and attention, and one of the guards were making their way towards the duo.

 

Contrary to the beliefs of many, the guard was courteous.

 

“Hello there, am I right to believe you and your companion wish to enter the city?”

 

The girl was none other than Sorine, and the companion was her fox-friend, Luna.

 

Sorine nodded at the guard, and he gave Luna another look. She was only at a level equal to the 5th stage of the Mortal realm, but rules were rules.

 

“If you wish to enter, I need your reason for entering, and your companion has to wear this necklace.” The guard held up an iron necklace with a card attached at the bottom, on the card was the letter C carved into the metal. Sorine ignored the card and turned her attention back to the guard.

 

“I wish to enter the academy.”

 

The guard nodded in understanding. “I see. Normally there is no fee to enter the city, but due to your companion you will have to cover the cost of the necklace. If you don’t have the money on you, you can head towards the Guard Office within 10 days to pay the fee. If you haven’t paid by the deadline you will be arrested, and depending on the verdict thrown out of the city.”

 

Sorine simply nodded, and the guard placed the necklace around Luna’s neck, before the duo entered the city.

 

“I wish you the best of luck in the academy.”

 

The girl simply nodded at the guard.

 

Walking around the city for a little while, the duo garnered some attention, but most people dismissed them as quickly as they had gained an interest.

 

Some gazes did linger, but more so on the fox besides the young girl, than the girl herself.

 

Coming across a guard, Sorine asked for directions towards where she could register with the academy. Being pointed towards the left of the two massive buildings in the center of the city, she slowly made her way over while gazing around at the new and interesting things she had never seen.

 

Coming to a stop before the academy building, she now truly realised the size of it. Craning her neck to look for the top, she couldn’t see it from where she stood. After counting 80 floors, she gave up, but marvelled at how they could build something so tall, yet so sturdy.

 

Entering the first floor, she was greeted with a waiting area, and on the right side was a reception with the words “Registration.”

 

Walking over to the elderly man behind the desk, the man greeted her with a small. “Hello! Welcome to Luminous Academy, do you wish to register with us?”

 

Sorine nodded, and the man’s smile grew wider. “Excellent! Just fill out this form and we’ll get you started!”

 

Taking the form, she skimmed over it before noticing something major.

 

Looking at the man, she pointed at the line and asked. “Is this correct? This isn’t what I heard.”

 

The man’s face grew darker, before he responded in a somber voice. “Indeed. Three months ago the Prince decreed that all academies had to change their rules and mandating 3 years of military service in the Jade Army in compensation for the tuition fee.”

 

Rage was bubbling under the surface at the mention of the Jade Army, before it was quickly snuffed out and Sorine was back to her emotionless self.

 

“I see.”

 

The man looked at her, “Do you still wish to register?”

 

She simply shook her head, returned the form and exited the academy.

 

Sorine looked at Luna. “Well then, I guess The Phoenix Pavillion is our next stop?” 

7