Part 3: Chapter 21
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Everyone all right?" Quang asked. He placed the keys into the ignition of his car. The vehicle sputtered a few times, requiring him to twist it one more time to get the engine running properly. He took a look at the mirror above the dashboard and watched Vic as he stared out the window while resting his hand on his chin. He looked both bored and frustrated as his hand drummed his fingers against the chipping fabric of the back seat.

Quang's eyes then drifted to Selene. She looked down at the necklace around her chest. The jewelry rested in one hand as she examined the stones closely in the growing light. "Huh? What was that Quang?" she said, her eyes still examining the turquoise beads.

"I asked if everyone was all right."

"Yeah," both Selene and Vic blurted simultaneously.

"Good," Quang said. He turned his head around as he backed his car out of the parking space. "I guess it's safe to say that went... about as well as expected. No one got... seriously hurt."

"Except maybe Fátima," Selene said with a chuckle.

"Oh yeah. I was wondering about that," Quang said. There was a pause as Quang turned his car and began driving towards the parking lot's exit. "Uh... she is still alive, right?"

"Of course!" Selene replied. She broke her gaze from the necklace to give the drive a mean scowl. "You think I'm just some... cold-blooded killer?"

"Things did get pretty heated back there, Selene. One swing from Hudson's hammer and I could have been ground meat. And that guy Vic went up against? That guy was packing a real a spear!"

"I saw. But no, I didn't kill Fátima, Quang. I would never do something like that." Selene shied away, looking towards the ground as she let out an embarrassed giggle. "But I will admit that I didn't use... the most honorable of tactics to win."

"Tell me," Vic replied. He stopped the car at the intersection to look at his passenger.

"I used a little-known technique. I'll dub it 'The Flying Tonfa."

"Nice," Quang replied.

"Good thing I have two of them! And to be fair, it's not like she was playing by the rules either."

"Whatever gets you the win is good in my book," Quang said.

"You can't expect to get better if you stoop to their level, Selene," Vic said as he lunged himself forward, placing his head in between the driver and passenger. "That's the kind of cheap trick that'll only work once. And if you use it on the wrong person, it'll probably get you killed!"

"Yeah, yeah," Selene said as she rolled her eyes. "I think I made the best decision in the situation. I got my necklace back. We got to deal some damage to Hudson's project. And no one on our side got really hurt. Overall, I think tonight went well."

Vic slumped back into the backseat and crossed his arms. He put on a pouting face and turned his head to look out the window. "I wouldn't say so."

Quang poked his head around the backseat, giving Vic a condescending glare. "Because you didn't get to have some epic showdown with that big guy?"

"Nailed it."

"You do realize that he was almost twice your size, wore armor and used a real spear, right?"

"And that's why I wanted to fight him!" Vic exclaimed as he looked at Quang head on. "I've never fought someone like that! Do you know how rare it is to find someone that knows how to use a spear?"

"I assume very rare," Selene said, trying to hide her laughing.

"Exactly! If we just pressed on a bit further, I'm sure he would have stayed to finish our duel!"

"Yeah, and you would have lost a few pounds out of blood loss," Quang muttered. Continued to drive, easing his car out of the parking lot and onto the main road. The sun was fully visible beyond the horizon."

"So that's what you think of me, huh?" Vic shot back.

"What? I'm just being realistic. Everyone knows you're talented. But fighting deadly opponents just for the sake of bragging rights is just absurd!"

"You my father or something, Quang?"

"No, but I might as well be!"

"Whatever." Vic continued staring out of his window. There was a brief silence among everyone in the car as the car picked up speed along the street.

"What's next, Quang?" Selene asked, turning her head towards the driver. Quang didn't look back. His eyes were focused on the road. He pulled the sunshield down to block out the blinding sunlight that bombarded him from head on.

"I think some well-deserved rest is up first."

Selene giggled. "I like that idea. I really do."

"Of course you would," Vic snapped. "You got to see plenty of action these past few days. I just got back in town and my first big fight got cut short by some snob!"

"I'm sure you'll get yourself into more trouble, okay?" Quang said as he watched the passenger in the backseat through his mirror. "Just... let us normal get a break, okay? We've spent the past few days looking high and low for you! The least you can do is give us some time to decompress."

"And maybe say 'thanks!'" Selene barked, her head turning towards the back seat. Vic's pout turned to nervousness once he saw her disgruntled face. "Seems like you don't understand how much duress everyone went through while you were off... gallivanting throughout Isla Lucrecia without anyone having any clue as to your whereabouts! Quang cares about you. Rodney cares about you. I haven't even known you for twenty-four hours and I care about you! Maybe you should put a little thought into what others think before you make another reckless decision!"

There was an uncomfortable silence within the car as Selene stared Vic down. Unable to bear the embarrassment, Vic tilted his head downwards and stared at the floorboard. "I...I'm sorry," he said in a volume just above a whisper.

"You're what?"

"I said... I'm sorry."

"And what else do you want to say?"

"Thanks."

"For?" Selene twirled her hand in the air, instructing Vic to add on to his statement.

"Thanks for putting in all that time and effort into searching for me," Vic said. He sat up, this time making eye contact with Selene. "And it's not because Selene is roasting me right now."

"Uh-huh, sure," Selene moaned, accompanied with an eyeroll.

"Really! It's not! I appreciate all that you too have done for me. Rodney too! I guess I'm just not that good at expressing it." Vic scratched the back of his head. "Sometimes I just forget to appreciate things like that. I guess it's something I need to work on."

"We could all use a bit of improvement," Quang said. He let out a long yawn and blinked a few times. "And I think the first step is a nice, long rest."

"You couldn't be more right, Quang," Selene replied. She yawned as well, covering her mouth with her hand.

"Am I taking you home? Got work tomorrow... er... I mean today?"

"I think I'll just call out," Selene said as she rested her head against the passenger window.

"But I thought you were tight on cash?"

"I always will be, Quang. That lifeguard job isn't doing me any good. If anything, it's holding me back. I'm always trying to work my life around ten hours of work a week. If that!" Selene shook her head. "I'm done with it. There's got to be somewhere in Isla Lucrecia that needs a full-time employee."

"You know, there's always—"

Selene raised one hand, cutting Quang's sentence off. "Don't even suggest it. I'm not taking any money from an already struggling family. I'm an adult. I can figure this out. Besides, I think with a bit of pleading I could probably get my roommate to give me an extension on the rent deadline."

"Selene..." Quang started.

"You don't know Macey like I do. I've been on time with payments during my entire stay there. I'm sure she'll understand."

"If she doesn't..." Quang took one hand off the steering wheel and patted his chest. "I can make something happen."

"What would I do without you Quang?" Selene said. Her smile was short but genuine. Quang turned to look into her deep brown eyes, only to swerve towards the oncoming lane. After a blaring honk from a passing sportscar, Quang set his vehicle straight. Everyone was startled by the close encounter, destroying the mood.

"What happened there?" Vic asked.

"The light. Got in my eyes. Not to mention I'm exhausted," Quang quickly replied.

"Could have sworn I saw reflections of my life just now!"

"Yeah, yeah. I'll be more careful from now on." Quang fought the temptation to look at Selene again. "So, am I dropping you off?"

"That's a long drive back to my place. And by the way you drive, I don't think it's a good idea to keep you on the road in your condition. Think your parents would mind if I crashed at Pho 68 for one day?"

A wide grin grew on Quang's face as he stayed focused on the road. He struggled to prevent it from becoming too obvious. "No, I don't think they would."

1